http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 02:34:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar Hero Impressions!!!  (Read 15174 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2005, 09:52:54 PM »

Very cool.

TheMissingLink on PSN
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2005, 10:14:56 PM »

yea.  I would just guess its from not using your arm/hand in that manner.  I dont know.  I am sort of having a problem with the fact that ONLY the yellow button has a mark on it.  I am thinking about maybe scoring the buttons somehow.

Its really causing me problems and only on Medium right now.  I can slide my hand down to hit the red/yellow/blue.  But, when I have to slide back down to hit the Green/red/yellow, I almost always dont end up on the right space.  And it REALLY messes me up.  I actually just tried Killer Queen, and nearly missed the first 10% of the song becuase I couldnt get my fingers moving around fast enough.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2005, 10:25:35 AM »

What an awesome game!  

Easy mode is finished and now I'm midway through normal.  I had to take a break because my left arm and fingers are sore and tired from playing that guitar controller for so long.  I'm slowly getting used to the blue button. The problems start when I have to alternate on blue/yellow really fast.  My two weakling fingers can't handle it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2005, 02:26:11 PM »

I put electric tape on the strum bar(I use a pick) and on the first and last buttons because of losing my place.  The spacing is very different from the guitar so I am having problems because of it.  

I am glad that y'all like it hopefully more and more will buy this game.  I just wish you could by another guitar at the store instead of online.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2005, 03:26:29 PM »

Ya, I am going to try and get one around X Mas if possible.  This has got to be a great party game.
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2005, 04:37:41 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Played the first gig - went through and 5-star'd most of them after a few tries...

Until my left arm really started to hurt.  Am I holding it wrong or something?  I tried playing some guitar a long time ago and could never get used to wrapping my hand around and holding down the strings.  Is my hand/arm just not flexible?  Ow frown

I think it's just the smaller size of the guitar controller.  I've been playing guitar for 17 years and I've never had any wrist pain with a real guitar, but after an hour or so of playing Guitar Hero I start getting some numbness in my left hand.  

As it is, I've completed 24 songs on Expert level.  I can't get past Crossroads.  The solos are a bit too long and with so many notes the rock meter crashes quickly... even with star power.  It's getting a little frustrating because I really want to get to Bark At The Moon and Cowboys From Hell.  What are the other three songs in the last set?  

For anyone playing with a pick, do you find that the strum bar sometimes recoils back hard enough to play another note?  I find that I get a fair amount of incorrect notes that I know I played correctly and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.  I tried using the pick on the menus to test out the recoil and sure enough the option would bounce back up sometimes.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2005, 09:23:06 PM »

Oh my god, I never heard of this game until now!

You get a mini SG, oh mygod, oh my god. I own a actual SG!

I'm so pumped for this, how do I get it, where? where?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2005, 09:54:56 PM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
Oh my god, I never heard of this game until now!

You get a mini SG, oh mygod, oh my god. I own a actual SG!

I'm so pumped for this, how do I get it, where? where?

http://www.redoctane.com/

I got it straight from the publisher and had zero problems.

AND, if you decide on getting the multiplayer pack (one more guitar) which is $109.98 (as compared to $69.99 for one guitar and the game), you can use a code online to knock off $20 for orders over $100.

It would be $89.98, having you essentially pay $20 more for another guitar (something I wish I had done).  Minus S&H, of course.

Coupon code is catalog1.  Expires Dec. 31 (great xmas gift!!)

Then again, they have stated they will be selling individual guitars in the future, so depending on how much you wanna use now, I guess.  Also, no places around me would have it - it would be cheaper if you wanted a normal bundle and didn't have to pay S&H, so check at places around you. biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2005, 10:15:30 PM »

newegg has this as a pre-order for $47. I'm not sure if it will ever come into stock, but that's a great price (EB and Gamestop also had it originally listed at that cost).

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2005, 10:45:31 PM »

Any multiplayer impressions??

TheMissingLink on PSN
Afrolex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2005, 05:47:51 AM »

Picked this up today from Best Buy and played for about 3 hours.  This game is awesome.  I finished the the easy section and played a couple of songs on medium.  I've played in different bands for the last 20 years and this is almost as fun as jamming with real people.  smile

I was doing the rocking back and forth thing during Unsung and my wife just looked at me like I was nuts.  Can't wait to pick up a second guitar and play some multiplayer.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2005, 08:53:37 PM »

Medium level.  LAst Show.  Crossroads.  Ace of Spades. and whatever the other song is.  Its the last three in that set.  CANNOT get em done.  Dont even come closs.  I get booed off about 10% of the way into the song.

I am still amazed at the complexity of Songs like Crossroads.  I cant even begin to imagine what Bark at the Moon is going to look like.  Or Cowboys from Hell.  Randy Rhodes vs me?  Hmmm, gee I bet I know who wins that one.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2005, 09:32:46 PM »

I'm having a hard time adjusting to using that blue button (pinky!).  Actually FAILED my first song today, medium + I Wanna Be Sedated owned me hard.  I did pass it on my second try, though, so hopefully I'll get used to this pinky-deal soon.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2005, 04:26:01 AM »

I'll add to the chorus that this game is awesome. Some of these songs just flow so great with the control that you do feel like your actually playing them.

I went through Easy pretty...well...easily.

I'm now up to Medium on the 3rd set of songs I think. I didn't have too difficult time up until "Stellar" came up. After 5 attempts I got through 76% of the song before getting booed off; but getting to that point wasn't pretty. The changes just come too fast and for some reason I can't quite get the rhythm down. Then the few times I would play the notes correctly I would sit there with my mouth hanging open and end up screwing up the entire next section (the "easy" one where you get to play chords). Anyone else having a difficult time on this song?

I unlocked a few of the indy songs and have to say some of those are fun to play too. "All Of This" and "Even Rats" work really well with the controller and are kinda catchy.

Wish I could still play but my hand is hurting as others have mentioned. The game is almost worth the pain.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2005, 04:30:52 AM »

I think one of the things that I am really finding the most surprising is that some of the older songs, and songs that i REALLY didnt expect to be difficult are the hardest. Like the Hnedrix song.

You wouldn't expect a Hendrix song to be hard for guitar?!?!??! :shock:  

This game keeps getting better!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2005, 06:17:55 AM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
I think one of the things that I am really finding the most surprising is that some of the older songs, and songs that i REALLY didnt expect to be difficult are the hardest.  Like the Hnedrix song.  I did great for the longest time.  I think i had my longest stretch of notes, like 233, then I missed a couple and was fine again.  Then I did, Smoke on the Water and it was a mess.

You sort of quoted me odd, and also, now that I re read it, should have prolly spaced differently.

My point was this.  Hendrix I thought would be really hard, and yet, I managed my longest string of notes.  But, then did Smoke on the Water, and it was a mess.

That was more what I meant.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2005, 04:36:33 PM »

Cool - I read it a few times myself and it kinda seemed strange...

Great game!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2005, 04:50:16 PM »

I am going to have to find a new way to place my hands I think, I cant seem to get the buttons down on Medium for those last couple songs.  BRUTAL!  I am thinking about moving my hand down one key set.  So that the blue isnt under my pinky.  Maybe depending on a stronger finger for the first button will be a better bet.  

The other thing thats getting me is the fast changes between say the chord 1,2  and then just 1, then 1,2 again over and over.  I think that will just come with practice.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2005, 12:37:15 AM »

The other thing thats getting me is the fast changes between say the chord 1,2 and then just 1, then 1,2 again over and over. I think that will just come with practice.

For these you can hold down both buttons (1 and 2) and strum to hit note 2. Then take your finger off of button 2 and strum again for note 1. Then just re-apply for note 2 again. So basically just leave your finger down on button one the entire time and apply to button 2 when needed.

You can use the same technique for when you have a 3,2,1 progresion. Just hold down buttons 1, 2 and 3 and lift up as needed. The song "Even Rats" (unlockable) has some good sequences to practice this.

I'm acknowledging I need to learn the hammer-on and pull-off technique to get past a few of these songs. I still don't quite have it down yet but every once in awhile I'll be able to pull it off. Still need ot be damn quick.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2005, 05:55:24 AM »

So I finally made it to the final stage on medium.  I dont know whos' idea of medium this pick of songs was.  Cowboys From Hell.  Bark at the Moon.  (randy Rhodes.)  Godzilla (Blue Oyster Cult)  Frankenstein (Edgar Winter) and the Steve Ray Vaughn song.  Arguably two of the best guitarists ever in this set.  Rhodes, and Vaughn.

I have manged to get BY 4 of the 5 songs.  Bark at the Moon is KILLING me.  I will prolly give a look at that Rats song and see if it will help me a bit.  I am getting better, and I did go back and try to get at least 4 stars in all songs.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2005, 08:53:19 AM »

Medium didn't give me too much trouble until I hit that last group of songs.  Those are going to take some practice until I can get a respectable score.  Me playing through a couple times on Bark at the Moon is the definition of getting owned.  
The hard and expert levels for those songs must be insane!  Now I can see why a practice mode would be nice next time around.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2005, 02:39:39 PM »

I am going to have to find a new way to place my hands I think, I cant seem to get the buttons down on Medium for those last couple songs.  BRUTAL!  I am thinking about moving my hand down one key set.  So that the blue isnt under my pinky.  Maybe depending on a stronger finger for the first button will be a better bet.

Don't be afraid to do this.  If you know a string of notes is coming up on the lower 3 buttons, move your hand down one fret and play all those notes with your three strongest fingers.  

Haven't played in a few days, but I think tonight I'll concentrate on getting past Crossroads.  If only to see the ridiculousness that Bark At The Moon is on Expert.

Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2005, 06:19:40 PM »

Just played a little at lunch.

Fuck Crossroads.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2005, 10:54:49 PM »

I am still amazed at the complexity of Songs like Crossroads.  I cant even begin to imagine what Bark at the Moon is going to look like.  Or Cowboys from Hell.  Randy Rhodes vs me?  Hmmm, gee I bet I know who wins that one.

Bark at the moon is one hell of a tough song to play on real guitar, I wonder if its just as tough in this game?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2005, 06:44:19 AM »

No idea, as I dont play real guitar.  But I did try a couple more times tonight on Medium and I cant seem to get it.  I played it on Easy on Quick Play two times in a row, and managed to get like 92% of the song.  I figure playing it like this multiple times will let me learns the song well enough to at some point move up to medium.

The suggestion of the song 'Even Rats' was good as well.  nice Chord switches as well as some real nice switches between buttons.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2005, 08:59:16 AM »

I just got this game today, wish i would've gotten it sooner! But anyways, i  never played a real guitar and i'm having a hard time using the blue note. am i suppose to use my pinky or slide down using the first 3 fingers? both seem really uncomfortable and the sliding down just confuses me.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2005, 09:12:56 AM »

I'm with ya, jersoc.  Same question here - do you guys slide your hand or use your pinky for the blue note?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2005, 11:06:48 AM »

I use my pinky for the blue note.

Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2005, 02:23:04 PM »

Depends on the song/riff.  Sometimes I use my pinky and sometimes I slide my hand down.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2005, 03:41:31 PM »

I am with Loomi on this one.  I will usually just use my pinky, and it does take quite a bit of practice.  But if I have been through a song a couple times and know that there will be lots of blue button, and not to mouch green, I will just slide my hand over.

My problem now on medium is this though.  There are songs that I cannot do the chords on without moving my hand, and some switches i just cant seem to get.  I am GOING to have to get better at moving my hand down the slide.

Guess I will just have to play the songs in quick play and get it just down to second nature.
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2005, 03:59:39 PM »

Yeah, if you're playing "power chords"(two buttons with one space inbetween i.e, green and yellow) that move, it's much easier to move your hand than to try and switch between index/ring to middle/pinky.  

I'd love to see other people playing this game.  For grins, I might have to set up a video camera on my fingers while I play... Just like a rock video!  slywink

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2005, 05:52:52 PM »

well, i just managwed to clear Bark at the Moon on Medium level on quick play, now if I can only manage to make it through int he Career mode..smile

*edit*  I just did it.  I feel accomplsihed now, and boy does my hand hurt.   I dont know how I did it.  I think I only had two very short power ups, and managed to miss most of the others.  And the end solo nearly killed me, but I made it.
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2005, 01:08:41 PM »

well, i just managwed to clear Bark at the Moon on Medium level on quick play, now if I can only manage to make it through int he Career mode..smile

*edit*  I just did it.  I feel accomplsihed now, and boy does my hand hurt.   I dont know how I did it.  I think I only had two very short power ups, and managed to miss most of the others.  And the end solo nearly killed me, but I made it.

The way Crossroads has been going I would never risk playing it in Quick Play.  smile

Well, for grins, I took a video of me failing Crossroads.  It's large(13M) and the transfer rate will likely be slow, but for the curious and/or bored...

Video

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2005, 03:55:26 PM »

on Quick play, you are allowed to choose the level of the song.  I was able to play Bark at the Moon on easy, and thats what helped me beat it.

I am thinking it will take me some time to get through Hard level as the songs, and the addition now, of the 5th button, are killing me.  Someone also pointed something out to me that I hadnt really thought about.  Crossroads is really a Clapton song.  Its Cream yes, but from when Clapton was with them, and he wrote and played it.

*edit*

Heheh, watched the video.  WAY better than i could ever do, I think.  And it looks like you do the same thing that I do.  When I move my hand down, I kinda get my fingers bunched up, and they mash the same button.  or I sort of forget in my head where my hand is sitting and play all the spots on key off.  But other than that, it looked like eventually with more practice it will come to you.

Was talkging about the game at work with a couple people, and this waitress overheard.  She said her BF plays guitar, and hes actually pretty good, and he had a HARD time learning how to play crossroads.
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2005, 07:49:51 PM »

Hard is kicking my butt and I rarely get above 3 stars now.  I managed to clear about 20 songs so far, but these last 10 are insane.  I wish they had a solo practice mode that does nothing but throw hammer-ons and pull-offs at you.  I'm getting better with sliding my hand down to hit the orange fret but I'm still having tons of trouble with those quick notes.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2005, 11:27:14 PM »

just play quick play mode and choose hard for the song.   I am really beginning to think that a lot of it just comes down to memory, and repetition.
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2005, 02:36:22 PM »

just play quick play mode and choose hard for the song.   I am really beginning to think that a lot of it just comes down to memory, and repetition.

Absolutely.  For the most part, that's all playing an instrument is.  Memory and repetition eventually leading to muscle memory.  The problem with the game is that you can't practice at your own speed and the guitar controller doesn't make any sounds on it's own.  You can't practice without the game playing.  

I wonder if someone will eventually tab out the songs on each level.

Practice tip:  Visualization.  I know it's not some great revelation, but I find visualization to really work for playing guitar so it would apply for the game as well.  If you're having trouble playing a part, try playing it in your head when you're not playing (i.e. at work).  It's just as frustrating to screw up in your mind as it is on a real guitar, but by the same token it's rewarding to finally get through it in your mind and then transfer it to guitar.  The only requirement for doing this, obviously, is to have the part memorized.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2005, 05:53:55 AM »

This pretty much sums up my feelings about Guitar Hero after a few hours of play:

When Mrs. Gratch and I were in Gamestop tonight, I was debating on Guitar Hero or DQ8.  There were some kids (probably 8-10) years old that were playing the Gamecube demo unit.  I don't know what they were playing, but they were just giggling and laughing with unabashed glee at the joy of playing the game.  I turned to Mrs. Gratch and wistfully said, "I wish I could feel like that playing a game again.".  I figured what the hell, and picked up GH for the extra $20.

2 hours later, about halfway through the Ziggy Stardust solo, standing in my living room with one foot up on the laundry basket like an on-stage amp, my head bobbing, the guitar neck swaying with the emphasis I was putting on the wammy bar, and the crowd meter maxed out, it hit me...

For the first time probably in years, I felt like those kids while playing a game again.  I was able to completely lose myself in a game, throw inhibition to the wind, and dance around my living room like a rock-star at 8:30 on a Friday night.  And how often does a game let you say that?

I have no idea how the replay value will be.  I have no idea if I'll be playing this game a week from now.  But for the gaming experience I had tonight, I would recommend Guitar Hero to any person who has even the slightest interest in it and would venture to say it is probably the best gaming dollars I've spent in a long, long time.  It is truly one of those, 'This is why we game' games.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2005, 06:39:55 AM »

i had to drive all over to get my copy.  For some reason the EB at the mall near me didnt receive any, for a week.  Finally the guy called another store and they had a copy so I drove out to get it.  This is all besides the point, really, just lead in to me coming home with the HUGE box.

I walk in the door, and my GF looks at me and says..

"You are the biggest dork I know"

It didn't even phase me.  I kept walking, hung my coat up kicked off my shoes, and as I walked by, I said.

"Wait till you see me playing it later"

Glad your enjoying it.  I am a tad stuck right now on medium, I just need more practice, I can tell I am getting better.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2005, 08:10:19 AM »

Man, taking a little break works wonders - and whoever suggested visualization was totally right.  Didn't get a chance to play it for a couple of days, but sort of going through songs in my mind, I can nail pretty much nail that blue button fairly consistently.  And BTW, I HATED that ZZ Top on Easy but it is FUN AS HELL on medium!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: