http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 06:36:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar Hero Impressions!!!  (Read 15225 times)
shon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2005, 08:11:05 PM »

First a little story.  I prepaid Guitar Hero's from Ebgames and they said it would be in the 2nd.  So I wait until Lunch(sorry work) then head over to Eb to pick it up.  Well I get there and the salesman is demoing the game, I think cool.  Well evidently eb does not get the game until the 8th and the salesmen drove to BB to get it this morning.  So I get my money back and rush to BB thinking my luck I will get there and they would be out.  Luckily they weren't so yeah.  Now onto impressions.

When I first opened the game I noticed the awesome SG controller.  A mini SG right in my hands.  It was well made and even came with a strap.  The only drawback was the cord length I wish it was a bit longer but I do have the extension cables so I will use them tonight.  I would say it is little  bit shorter than the DDR pads cord but I might be wrong.  The strum bar and the whammy bar are cool as well.

I pop in the game and think, I have played guitar for many years so I will chose the extreme level of I Love Rock 'n Roll.  Well the love lasted about 10 secs and I was boo'd off the stage, so with my head haning low I went to the medium level.    I managed to finish the song with an 89% hit ratio.
So then I moved up to the hard mode and it was very different from medium because it not only does it use more buttons the layout of hitting them were different so as you play from Begginer to Expert things will be fresh.

You really get pumped playing this game.  I am using a pick instead of my thumb because as you get to the solo things start going fast.  I am a little bewildered now because I am not used to the spacing of the buttons so I get lost to where I am at on the buttons.  There is a bump on the middle button to help a little but after practice it shouldn't matter.  The whammy bar is awesome because the guitar sound actually follows your up and down movements of it to you can bend notes if you have time.  

The song selection is great, now there are only 10 songs you can play at first without unlocking them but so far the 4 songs that I have played are true to the original, as they sound much like the original artists.  

I rockingly admonish all of those waiting on reviews or whatever go out and get this game it is really the best rhythm game I have played.  

I actually took a 2 hour lunch as I got caught up playing so hopefully no one will find out.  Anyway

ROCK ON.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 08:14:41 PM »

Nice!!

I'll be playing tonight!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 08:31:53 PM »

RUFUS!!! biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 09:22:28 PM »

Don't make me buy this game!  STOP!   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 09:29:28 PM »

A quick question from someone that doesn't know much about the game:

Is this a game that one can actually learn (somewhat) how to play a guitar with the controller? Or does the controller just look like a guitar and have the normal PS2 controller buttons on it.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 09:42:10 PM »

Badass, shon.  Keep those impressions coming!

TheMissingLink on PSN
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 10:34:59 PM »

If you never have played guitar it can teach you a little bit.

You won't be learning the actual chords or notes but you will be learning to do rhythm with your right hand and note placment with your left so you will get used to doing different things with each hand.

When you move up levels and actually get to do chords you will be doing some of the basic chords (fifths)  that guitarists actually do.

So no, it won't teach you guitar per se but it can help you with some of the dexterity that you will need to play guitar.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 10:36:38 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Don't make me buy this game!  STOP!   biggrin

Look into my eyes  :shock:  and start counting backwords from 100 until you reach 0.

Repeat after me:  
Yes I will buy guitar hero, Yes I will by Guitar Hero.  Yes I will buy Guitar Hero.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 01:53:32 AM »

Look into his eyes, dammit!!

It's great.

I never played guitar either.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 05:21:30 AM »

i am really looking forward to this one, but I just cant afford it right now.  I wish I could..frown  From what I understand as well, they are going to be hard to find due to the size of the package, they arent shipping many.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 05:33:59 AM »

Well I have played about 3 hours now and my hands are tired.  The game is good but gets hard quick.

I beat the medium difficulty without any problems, but as soon as I got to hard I have barely beat the first 10 songs.  In hard mode they use the fifth button and that is giving me all kinds of trouble.  I am not sure how to use my hands with the buttons.  I play guitar so maybe I am trying to use my pinkie too much but I find myself not knowing were I am on the buttons.  I wish they had more bumps on the buttons, the one on the middle is not enough.

I am having fun with the game and it is a blast to play.  Some of the songs I didn't think I would like are really fun, the Ziggy Stardust song is really fun.  

Hopefully the price will come down so more people will be able to buy.  I can't wait for Guitar Hero 2.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 06:47:03 AM »

Hey shon, quick question -

I have a sort of left hand "handicap."  If speaking in terms of an actual guitar, I can't physically wrap my left hand the fret or whatever the hell it's called.  I even really wanted to play the violin and had the same sort of deal where I couldn't properly grasp the fret-thingy very well at all.

Would this also hinder my ability to play Guitar Hero?  Are the "buttons" easy to press and such?

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 01:22:27 PM »

The buttons are easy to press, but if the problem you're having with intstruments is not being able to grip strongly enough, you may have problems with Guitar Hero.  Hopefully you can try it out before you buy it.

That said, if you like rhythm games, this is the one you need to own.  Harmonix has always been good at making you feel like you're actually playing a song, even if you're just hitting shoulder buttons on the PS2, but now that you have a guitar in your hands, the feeling is even stronger.  No, it's not exactly the same as playing a guitar, but it's not incredibly far off either.  You can tell that the guys who made it play guitar themselves.

For example, say you're playing a set of descending notes.  The game lets you finger the entire set of notes, and as long as the highest note fingered is the one to be played, it counts, so you can use the same fingering technique on the game as you would with a guitar.

The song selection is excellent too, in case you hadn't heard.  I only got to play around with the first batch of songs, but there wasn't a bad one on there.  Can't wait to go unlock the rest.  

Bottom line: the game was worth every stinking penny, and I'm seriously considering buying a second guitar for two player.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 02:58:04 PM »

Here we have a rare breed: a new release getting positive buzz that I have absolutely no interest in buying! Yippee!!

Glad you guys are liking it though.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 03:09:32 PM »

We're here for you, mort!  biggrin

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 03:45:49 PM »

can you give us a run down of the songs?  There was a small list on IGN, I would love to know what songs are on there.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 03:48:09 PM »

Do they make this game for Devil's new gameboy?  That would be great!

biggrin  biggrin  Tongue  biggrin  biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 03:55:38 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Hey shon, quick question -

I have a sort of left hand "handicap."  If speaking in terms of an actual guitar, I can't physically wrap my left hand the fret or whatever the hell it's called.  I even really wanted to play the violin and had the same sort of deal where I couldn't properly grasp the fret-thingy very well at all.

Would this also hinder my ability to play Guitar Hero?  Are the "buttons" easy to press and such?

You don't have to press the buttons as hard as you would strings on a guitar or violin but you do have to press 2 buttons at once and they can be far away
so you would have to put your thumb behind the neck at times.  You might
be able to do it without using your thumb, I will try that lunch (maybe) and let you know.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 04:00:17 PM »

I can only get to the 3rd batch of songs on hard level. The only way I got through those was that I  saved my star power till it got to the solo then used it there so it boosted my level till the chorus started again.  I can't imagine playing these songs on extreme.  That is going to take a lot of playing time.

I agree with IGN's review, I wish it had a practice session where you could slow down the solo because at full speed it is almost impossible.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 03:33:35 AM »

Put in a few more hours.  Even as a seasoned rhythm game player and being a violin player since fourth grade, I have to say...

This game is fooking hard!

However, this is a good thing.  In the previous Harmonix games, medium difficulty was really easy, hard was semi-challenging, insane wasn't really until the last batch or two of songs, and easy was just insulting.  The fallout of all this was that you could rip through most of the game in an evening, and then it was just being high scores.

Not so here.  I started on medium, and it was fairly easy for the first three batches of songs.  By the fourth, things were getting more complicated, the fifth batch was giving me a run for my money, and the sixth is kicking my arse.  I've been going back to try some of the earlier songs on hard to improve my skillz.  Iron Man, which is the first song in the second batch, took me a half hour to clear, and that was by the skin of my teeth and butchering the solo.

This may sound like a bunch of negatives, but it's really the opposite.  As the songs get harder, they get more interesting.  At the lower levels, you feel like you're playing a game.  The higher you go, the more you feel like you're playing the song.  They start to force you to move your hand along the neck, force you to learn hammer ons and pull-offs, and I've even found myself sliding my fingers in a few places.  The first time you figure out that hammer ons work much better for those fast runs of notes, and you pull it off, it's a good feeling.

I'm serious, if you even remotely like rock music and have a PS2, get yourself a copy of this game.  It's just that good.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 03:58:54 AM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Here we have a rare breed: a new release getting positive buzz that I have absolutely no interest in buying! Yippee!!

A newly released game that Rob isn't going to buy? That's unpossible!
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 05:33:52 AM »

Great game.  I'm only through the first three songs of the first batch on expert.  But it's been fun so far.  I'm wondering if I should play on the hard level.  I tried medium, but the rhythm(right hand) was simplified a little too much on that level... I butchered the hell out of the Thunderkiss intro because I couldn't figure out what notes they didn't want me to play.  I'm ok on expert during the verses and chorus, but the solos lose me quick.  I wish there was a mode where you could just look at the songs so I could work on the memorization.  I don't have a feel for the fret distances so I need to look at the fretboard a little and that's hard during solos when I have to look at the screen.  

One thing I think that's missing is open strings.  What is rock without open E?  

I can't wait to see Cowboys From Hell.  smile

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 05:51:24 AM »

you guys are killing me, with my inability to have the money for this thing.i am tempred to just start turning in movies, and such for credit so I can get this..frown
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2005, 04:27:38 PM »

I've put in a lot more time with the game over the weekend, so I figured I'd come in and update anyone who's still resisting.

Normally, I'm in bed by around midnight or one AM.  On Friday and Saturday nights, this game kept me up until four, and I had to be up by eight each of the next days.  On Friday, it was me and a buddy with one guitar passing it back and forth betwen us.  On Saturday, I picked up a second guitar, and we had five of us playing multiplayer.  Both times, it was a blast.  I actually had to not play on Sunday because my writst ached from the last two days.

I've managed to get 2/3 of the way through the songs on hard, and I'm finding that the game really comes into its own on that difficulty.  On medium, it's still good, but the notes are simplified, and you only use the four frets, so your hand isn't forced to move.

On hard, the notes are more numerous, and you use the fifth button, which makes you slide your hand up and down.  On some of the sequences, the notes slide up, and most of the time on those, I find the best way to play it is to physically slide up to the fifth button, which is just great.  

Plus, because the notes you play are closer to the actual song, it feels more like you're really playing along.  What's even better is that eventually muscle memory kicks in, and you start playing by feel.  Quite a few times, I play a fast section, and afterwards, notice that my hand did it more or less on its own, just like when playing a real instrument.  It's a good feeling.

Again, if anyone's sitting the fence on this one, grab a copy.  You really won't regret it.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »

Ordered it last night - couldn't resist biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2005, 04:48:45 PM »

i just returned my XBOX, with the stuck on power button, my games and DVD controller so that I could get this game.  I had been holding onto my XBOX for some time, talking about turning it in for credit.  This game pushed me over.  I wanted to order a copy, but it wasn't in the computer this morning, which means it was mid-shipment.  So hopefully before work, or tomorrow, I should have my copy.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2005, 07:47:46 PM »

Well I beat the game on Hard mode and started the extreme mode and that is going to be impossible.  I haven't earned one 5 star rating yet on any level, I guess I need to go back and get those.

I first tried the extreme level after playing many songs on the medium level and thought there is no way I will ever play any song on extreme.  But since I've beat hard mode I have gotten to the second stage on the extreme.  I just wish you could practice the solos in slow mode because I can't get my hand to move that fast yet.

I hope on the next Guitar Hero they will let you just hit the strum bar as a note and that way you would have six strings to work with.  Now that would be awesome.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2005, 08:07:41 PM »

How did you guys get this already?  Every place I've been says it's not coming out until next week.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2005, 10:31:31 PM »

Best Buys broke the street date apparently.

And Red Octane decided to ship early (I think) as well!

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2005, 02:32:42 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
How did you guys get this already?  Every place I've been says it's not coming out until next week.

The Best Buy by me had a ton of them today.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2005, 03:59:43 PM »

i just went to the EB by me that said they would have them yesterday, and still nothing.  He said hopefully today.  <cry>
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2005, 10:48:36 PM »

woo hoo, i finally got mine.  PLaying throughon easy after the tutorials, and MAN, who would have thought Sharp Dressed Man would have been so hard.  Killer Queen has now thrown me off with the first appearance of a chord in a song.

I am loving it though.  I cant wait to unlock some of the other songs, and see whats in the Unlock store.

If I had a spare 39 bux I would love to have a 2nd controller for this.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2005, 02:58:08 AM »

Just finished EASY mode myself and halfway through the next level (Normal?).

GOTY for me.

:shock:

Afrolex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2005, 03:03:12 AM »

I was going to hold out to see if they would announce and Xbox version but I think I'm about to cave.  This game is going to cost me over $200.

I've been de-virginized by the forum effect.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2005, 03:05:27 AM »

Played my first two songs on Normal, or medium, or whatever it is after easy.  WOW.  That fricking blue fret threw me all off.  'I Love Rock and Roll'  only netted me like 85%.  I was surprised by it.  Then I did 'I Wanna Be Sedated'.  I did better that time around with the blue button, but the whole time I was waiting for it to show, and it shows where i didnt expect, but I recovered and manged to score like 95% with like 117,100 score.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2005, 03:12:01 AM »

Quote from: "namretaw"
I've been de-virginized by the forum effect.

GT is *such* a whore.  biggrin

Can't wait to hear some impressions from you, namretaw!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2005, 06:12:09 AM »

You think the blue button is nasty?  Wait til you start getting the orange one.  Forces you to move your hand, which changes all the fingerings, and boy can that throw you off.  It's great once you get it though.

Have I mentioned I really, really like this game?  biggrin

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2005, 06:28:15 AM »

I think one of the things that I am really finding the most surprising is that some of the older songs, and songs that i REALLY didnt expect to be difficult are the hardest.  Like the Hnedrix song.  I did great for the longest time.  I think i had my longest stretch of notes, like 233, then I missed a couple and was fine again.  Then I did, Smoke on the Water and it was a mess.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2005, 09:21:27 PM »

Played the first gig - went through and 5-star'd most of them after a few tries...

Until my left arm really started to hurt.  Am I holding it wrong or something?  I tried playing some guitar a long time ago and could never get used to wrapping my hand around and holding down the strings.  Is my hand/arm just not flexible?  Ow frown

But really cool game, I am digging it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2005, 09:32:32 PM »

I think the left arm soreness is just from your arm not being used to the position.  I got it after my first two days.  Took a day off, and it's fine now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: