http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 08:16:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar Hero II 360 Info!!  (Read 2685 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2007, 01:20:43 AM »

Ok, I am so looking forward to this game even though I literally have not played more than 5 minutes of the PS2 guitar heroes (which will be remedied this week thanks to Xmann and Guitar Hero I!!!!). Anyhoo, Game informer has a ton of info on the game and some cool achievements. Check it out:
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200701/N07.0108.1808.46300.htm?Page=1

Cant wait!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 01:41:05 AM »

Wired guitar?? I thought it was going to be wireless.  :icon_sad:

That is the thing I hate most about Guitar Hero for the Playstation. Now that I have kids, wired controllers = BAD NEWS. That is one thing I love about playing PS2/PS games on the PS3, I can now use the wireless controller that comes with the PS3.

Other than that, sounds pretty cool. I like the achievements they are going to have. The extra tracks on the 360 version though aren't all that impressive and along with the lack of online multiplayer makes me think I'll be skipping it for the 360....but for anyone that doesn't have it for the PS2 already, this sounds pretty awesome.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 01:43:24 AM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:46:36 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 10, 2007, 01:20:43 AM

Ok, I am so looking forward to this game even though I literally have not played more than 5 minutes of the PS2 guitar heroes (which will be remedied this week thanks to Xmann and Guitar Hero I!!!!). Anyhoo, Game informer has a ton of info on the game and some cool achievements. Check it out:

Cant wait!

That songlist addition is NOT impressive.  While I appreciate that this is a fantastic release for Xbox360 owners, I see little reason to buy it if someone already owns GH1/GH2 with guitars for the PS2.  That is unless they plan a maginificent list of songs you can download for CHEAP (By cheap, I mean $1-2 max).  My wifes biggest complaint about GH1/GH2 are the lackluster songlists.

Still, this just pushes up the desire for us to have a 360 in the household within a year or two.  Although with all of the big new stuff around here to take our attention, the *LAST* thing we probably need is another console.  So I suspect it will be 2008 before we head over to the 360 w/HD LCD to go along with it.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 02:30:38 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 10, 2007, 01:46:36 AM

Quote from: Calvin on January 10, 2007, 01:20:43 AM

Cant wait!

That songlist addition is NOT impressive.  While I appreciate that this is a fantastic release for Xbox360 owners, I see little reason to buy it if someone already owns GH1/GH2 with guitars for the PS2.  That is unless they plan a maginificent list of songs you can download for CHEAP (By cheap, I mean $1-2 max).  My wifes biggest complaint about GH1/GH2 are the lackluster songlists.

Still, this just pushes up the desire for us to have a 360 in the household within a year or two.  Although with all of the big new stuff around here to take our attention, the *LAST* thing we probably need is another console.  So I suspect it will be 2008 before we head over to the 360 w/HD LCD to go along with it.
Even though I will soon have it for PS2 (well the guitar and GH1), I still want it for 360, because I am 100% sure we will see a sequel inside 18 months that will use the guitar, I still will want to play GH2, the graphics will be better, and it has achievements. It should also be no issue reselling GH1 due to the popularity of the game. I agree that its not all that in comparison, and lack of online multiplayer just sucks, but I am excited.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 02:33:27 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 10, 2007, 01:41:05 AM

That is the thing I hate most about Guitar Hero for the Playstation. Now that I have kids, wired controllers = BAD NEWS. That is one thing I love about playing PS2/PS games on the PS3, I can now use the wireless controller that comes with the PS3.

Other than that, sounds pretty cool. I like the achievements they are going to have. The extra tracks on the 360 version though aren't all that impressive and along with the lack of online multiplayer makes me think I'll be skipping it for the 360....but for anyone that doesn't have it for the PS2 already, this sounds pretty awesome.

Microsoft is still carefully guarding their wireless protocol (something I imagine Sony will do with the SIXAXIS design), and thus are unwilling to give RO the info necessary to make the guitar wireless out of the box. Maybe for GH3 they will change their minds. It is dissapointing, but as I have no kids (thank the lord), I will have no issues smile
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:41:24 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 10, 2007, 02:33:27 AM

Quote from: Hetz on January 10, 2007, 01:41:05 AM

Microsoft is still carefully guarding their wireless protocol (something I imagine Sony will do with the SIXAXIS design), and thus are unwilling to give RO the info necessary to make the guitar wireless out of the box. Maybe for GH3 they will change their minds. It is dissapointing, but as I have no kids (thank the lord), I will have no issues smile

I believe the PS3's wireless protocol is simply Bluetooth...

gellar
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 02:43:15 AM »

I like these two:

Possum Kingdom—Toadies*
Salvation—Rancid

but the rest of those songs are pretty 'meh'.  Nothing that will make run out and pick it up anytime soon.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 03:17:40 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 10, 2007, 02:33:27 AM

It is dissapointing, but as I have no kids (thank the lord), I will have no issues smile

Thats a good thing?  Imagine, if you had kids and generous relatives, you'd be flooded in games, toys, and cool shit to play with without any out of pocket expense. Not to mention a ready stable of lan gamers for pickup sessions. I want to just keep churnin' them out.  Tongue  Life would suck and be lonely without my kids, I feel sorry for people around my neighborhood in their 30's+ with no kids they seem so depressed... Kids win.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:19:11 AM by Kobra » Logged

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 03:53:48 AM »

Possum Kingdom alone makes this a must purchase for me.  They could make a killing if they offer a song per week on Live.  I do wish for the wireless controller though. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 03:56:43 AM »

I'd almost picked up Guitar Hero for my dusty PS2, but then heard it'd be out for the 360.  Wireless guitar would've been nice, but }shrug{ I can pick up my toys when I am done...

And one word; Achievements!!!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 03:57:19 AM »

There's 10 new songs total. I have the ps2 version, but Im really thinking about getting this one too. Love most of the new songs that were announced.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 04:01:43 AM »

Quote from: JLu on January 10, 2007, 03:56:43 AM

I'd almost picked up Guitar Hero for my dusty PS2, but then heard it'd be out for the 360.  Wireless guitar would've been nice, but }shrug{ I can pick up my toys when I am done...

The problem isn't when I am done...it's while I am playing. Kids running in front of you while you are playing the guitar or playing with a wired controller is like playing Russian Roulette with your console. I am so glad the 360, Wii and PS3 are all wireless now (except for this guitar, I guess).

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 04:12:32 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 10, 2007, 04:01:43 AM

Quote from: JLu on January 10, 2007, 03:56:43 AM

The problem isn't when I am done...it's while I am playing. Kids running in front of you while you are playing the guitar or playing with a wired controller is like playing Russian Roulette with your console. I am so glad the 360, Wii and PS3 are all wireless now (except for this guitar, I guess).

Only an uncle at this point so that hadn't actually occurred to me...  I understand it being a bigger deal for those with kids, definitely!!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 04:22:28 AM »

Only 10 new songs (though I do like a good number of them), plus no online multiplayer means I wait for GH3 to pick up my pair of 360 guitars.

Online multiplayer was going to be the big seller for me, and lacking that, I can't see a reason to get another version of the same game I already have, but with cleaned-up graphics.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 05:14:32 AM »

"Kids running in front of you while you are playing the guitar or playing with a wired controller is like playing Russian Roulette with your console."
According to the GameInformer article, the controller will have a break point on the cord, so if the cord does get yanked, it won't knock over the console.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 05:41:32 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 10, 2007, 04:22:28 AM

Only 10 new songs (though I do like a good number of them), plus no online multiplayer means I wait for GH3 to pick up my pair of 360 guitars.

Online multiplayer was going to be the big seller for me, and lacking that, I can't see a reason to get another version of the same game I already have, but with cleaned-up graphics.

I probably would feel the same way, but Xmann sold me GH1 at a very reasonable price, and getting GH2 the game alone would cost half as much as the 360 upgrade, so I am just diving in. To be honest, only about two new tracks appeal to me at all-I kinda really liked the original list a lot.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 02:18:07 PM »

The sad thing, is that you play it wirelessly on PS2 but not 360. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 04:17:24 PM »

if it had a wireless controller I'd be finally picking it up, but with the perils of wired controllers and puppies I'll have to pass for the time being.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 04:51:31 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 10, 2007, 02:18:07 PM

The wireless GH controller for the PS2 is garbage.  You don't even want it.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 04:53:25 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 10, 2007, 04:51:31 PM

Are you talking about the official controller from Red Octane or the "other" brands? 
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 05:55:07 PM »

That's the first I've heard that there would be no online play - that does really suck. 

I think the Trooper by Iron Maiden is an awesome song and will be fanstastic - and hard - to play.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 06:24:35 PM »

How would you play guitar hero online?  It doesn't seem like a game that would be fun to play online to me.

Downloadable songs would be nice though.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 06:43:47 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 10, 2007, 06:24:35 PM

How would you play guitar hero online?  It doesn't seem like a game that would be fun to play online to me.

Why wouldn't it be fun to play online? Guitar Hero 2 is especially suited to multiplayer, because all songs have two parts that can be played (usually lead guitar and bass).
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 06:51:18 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 10, 2007, 06:43:47 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on January 10, 2007, 06:24:35 PM

Why wouldn't it be fun to play online? Guitar Hero 2 is especially suited to multiplayer, because all songs have two parts that can be played (usually lead guitar and bass).

Agreed.  But any lag at all would completely mess you up.  Personally I think GH is one of those games that works great multiplayer on the same TV.  But playing with someone not in the same room isn't that much different than playing by yourself.

Just my opinion of course.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 08:57:51 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 10, 2007, 04:53:25 PM

Quote from: Kobra on January 10, 2007, 04:51:31 PM

Are you talking about the official controller from Red Octane or the "other" brands? 

Aftermarket one my pal brought over was a complete pile of shit.  Never tried the RO one.  Is it good? (hell, I didn't even know RO had a wireless one for the PS2)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 09:03:28 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 10, 2007, 08:57:51 PM

Never tried the RO one.  Is it good? (hell, I didn't even know RO had a wireless one for the PS2)

I haven't tried to the RO one yet, though I plan to buy it.  But I would bet on them putting out a much higher quality controller than the aftermarket stuff.  It can be purchased through Red Octane's website but I don't know if it has ever shown up in stores. 
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 05:14:20 AM »

Amplitude worked pretty slick online; I'm curious as to why there were no plans to include it with the 360 version of Guitar Hero.

TheMissingLink on PSN
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 03:08:53 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 11, 2007, 05:14:20 AM

Amplitude worked pretty slick online; I'm curious as to why there were no plans to include it with the 360 version of Guitar Hero.

The cynical answer would be that they know they don't need to do it to sell a bundle smile
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2007, 03:09:41 PM »

I purchased the Red Octane Wireless guitar and it has worked flawless for me.  It is easy to setup and I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever.  The strum bar is quieter as well.  The only 'bad' thing is there is an on/off button and if you forget to turn if off it will run your batteries down, wish it could detect no usage after 5 min and then shut off auto.  

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2007, 05:31:16 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 11, 2007, 03:08:53 PM

The cynical answer would be that they know they don't need to do it to sell a bundle smile

An interesting point.

But the game would be SO much better if it supported online multiplayer. It sounds like such a simple thing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2007, 05:34:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 11, 2007, 05:31:16 PM

Quote from: kathode on January 11, 2007, 03:08:53 PM

An interesting point.

But the game would be SO much better if it supported online multiplayer. It sounds like such a simple thing.

As a network engineer, let me assure you...it isn't.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2007, 05:39:36 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 11, 2007, 05:34:24 PM

Quote from: Destructor on January 11, 2007, 05:31:16 PM

As a network engineer, let me assure you...it isn't.

But they can make FPS games work great online (lag free and everything else). How hard can it be to send simple controller input (which is all pretty much what you'd have to do) over the 'net? Heck, you don't even need that much - just send back and forth to each console if you 'passed' the note or not.

Yeah, I do realize the actual song would be not fully in tune with your playing (based on standard internet 'lag' of ~50-200ms, but it would work, wouldn't it?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 06:19:20 PM »

You could play Frequency online, couldn't you?  Was Amplitude not the same way?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2007, 06:32:05 PM »

It is much easier to compensate for lag in an FPS or racing game than it is in a game like GH where exact timing of button presses matters.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2007, 07:38:14 PM »

I was wrong with my earlier post about the guitar it does shut off after 2 minutes of inactvity so says a review so I will see if my batteries are not dead.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 02:52:10 AM »

Gamevideos.com has a video up of Possum Kingdom by the Toadies...looks like a fun song to play.  from that video, i'd guess they're showing it on the 'hard' level...hits the orange button, but leaves out playing quite a few notes.  it's great hearing the song actually done by the original artist as well...very cool icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2007, 02:19:07 AM »

Xbox360Achievements.org now has the full list of GH2 achievements posted.  a lot of them are exactly the kind of thing that you would expect, but there are a few more interesting ones in the mix.  i think it's pretty funny that they actually have an achievement for failing a song on easy...called it the 'Long Road Ahead Award'  icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2007, 12:33:50 AM »

and another update...

IGN has posted video of a few more of the new songs done on expert...Rancid - Salvation, Deep Purple - Hush, Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies, and Rick Derringer - Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo.  you can check them all out here...all are very well done covers and look pretty challenging.  this game can't be released soon enough...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: