http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 01:15:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar Hero 3 ruined my X-mas! (well sort of) - Christmas saved!  (Read 876 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2007, 04:03:55 AM »

Some background: I have kind of sort of wanted one of these guitar hero games since I first played #1 at a friend's house on the PS2. Well, I have always balked a bit at paying a high premium for a controller that I will only use for at most a select few games. Well, my wife knows I wanted it and decided to get GH3 for me for X-mas. She is aware that I am aware that GH3 is considered the weakest in the series, but has the cool wireless guitar controller. She ordered it from Amazon a good while back. Well in November Amazon informed her it likely wouldn't ship till February so she decided to tell me about it just so I would know she tried to get it for me for X-mas. Well, of course it ended up shipping on time. So we decide to exchange gifts tonight, and I happily open my GH3 box to find A F*CKING WIRED GUITAR CONTROLLER!! EGADS! ARGH! ^&*%^*%^&%&*%&*!

Now to be fair, I had read that there were wired versions back in the GH3 thread a while back, but had forgotten about it. Of course my wife had no idea there were 2 different types of bundles. My problem is, the wire isn't long enough for me to comfortably use, and it's already opened and therefore "used"! What should I do? See if Amazon will exchange it? See if a store will exchange it? See what I can get for it used? What do you guys think? I am pretty bummed now.

(Merry Christmas everyone!)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 01:31:01 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Bashtor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 04:25:34 AM »

I don't know if it helps, but, if you like the wired controller enough, you can buy a cord extender.  I'm going to possibly do that myself seeing I have the guitar that came with GH2 and have heard mixed things about the wireless guitar.  In addition, I don't really want to spend the 90 bucks for a new guitar (but I probably will because I have no willpower).
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 04:30:27 AM »

I would be very surprised if Amazon didn't take it back.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 04:33:31 AM »

Hmm, I guess I could consider a USB extension cable. I assume any of those will work. Now, I have to weigh dealing with a wire vs. dealing with batteries. Is there any other advantage of the new guitar controllers besides being wireless? (and looking cooler)?

-John

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 04:46:24 AM »

Get a USB extension and be happy. In a funny way I like it that my GH II Explorer is wired, because to me it looks more like a guitar from the era of the early songs. Guess I'm just old school that way.
BTW make sure you use way too much electrician tape to secure the USB extension join, just to give it that retro look.  Tongue
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 04:50:19 AM by kronovan » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 04:56:51 AM »

Email Amazon and ask about exchanging it for the wireless version.  Since it's obvious you aren't trying to "cheat" the system by just returning a game after you beat it, I wouldn't be surprised if they let you do a swap. 
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 12:27:32 PM »

IMHO once you start playing you won't care what controller you have.  Originally I wanted the wireless one too.. but couldn't find any, and ended up getting a wired one.  I loved the game so much, I went and bought a second guitar.  The wired one works fine.. and you don't have to worry about the problems that have plagued a lot of the wireless ones.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and I dont' get why everyone says gh2 is better than gh3.  I got number 2 after playing the hell out of number 3, and I have a hard time wanting to play.  The lack of original tracks just kills it for me.  Most of the covers are so bad.

"Goonies never say die"
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 01:12:26 PM »

Quote from: Bashtor on December 25, 2007, 04:25:34 AM

I don't know if it helps, but, if you like the wired controller enough, you can buy a cord extender.  I'm going to possibly do that myself seeing I have the guitar that came with GH2 and have heard mixed things about the wireless guitar.  In addition, I don't really want to spend the 90 bucks for a new guitar (but I probably will because I have no willpower).

Heya Bashtor - welcome to the site!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 01:30:37 PM »

Well, I decided to stick with the wired controller, and played a little this morning. The game is of course very fun. I'll join the chorus of people who think the boss battles are stupid. I did the first one and it took 3 tries. I have no idea what I did "right" on the 3rd try vs. why I failed the first two times. Horrible addition to the game. I guess I should RTM.  Thanks for the advice all! Merry Christmas!

-John

Bashtor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 01:36:27 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 25, 2007, 01:12:26 PM

Quote from: Bashtor on December 25, 2007, 04:25:34 AM

Heya Bashtor - welcome to the site!

Thanks!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 02:25:26 AM »

Blitzed through easy mode today, and had a lot of fun. (The boss battles still suck. If they don't yank those for GH4, then they are just being stubborn fools.) I can only imagine how hard some of those songs will be at higher levels (Raining Blood I am looking at you). Being a metalhead, I loved the Hell setlist the most (well minus the good idea, but poor implementation of Devil went down to Georgia). Thumbs up, but I need a usb extension like yesterday.

-John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: