http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 09:36:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GTA:SA Impressions(XBox)  (Read 3035 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2005, 08:34:34 PM »

I grabbed this last night and played for a few (too many) hours, and wow! Great stuff!  I loved gta 3, but I never really liked vice city...too much of the same. But this one, GTA:SA, is way more than both of the others put together it seems so far.
 The xbox version has a much better draw distance from what I`ve read. Also, better textures, more polygons etc. It`s not the best looking game ever, but it`s HUGE and It does look rather clean and nice one my 32inch HDTV. The 480p cleans it up nicely.
 The sound is great so far too. Customs soundtracks are now even better! You can play your coustom soundtrack like before, but now you can also play you own music and it will mix into the radio stations, pretty cool stuff. Great voice acting so far. Great cast.
 Obviously most people by now know how much bigger(and better) this one is by now so I won`t get into much of the gameplay stuff. But, the gameplay is great. There`s almost too much to do. Great game. Simple as that. Later.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 09:06:10 PM »

Anyone else grab this too?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 09:15:31 PM »

I'm thinkin bout it. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 09:19:49 PM »

The biggest gripes I had were some really frustrating controls later in the game (specifically the flight handling) and the graphics "popping" in and being able to outrun some textures. If they fixed all that in the XBox version, then by all means grab it and have fun. The voice acting is second to none, especially James Woods and Peter Fonda. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 09:21:56 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
The biggest gripes I had were some really frustrating controls later in the game (specifically the flight handling) and the graphics "popping" in and being able to outrun some textures. If they fixed all that in the XBox version, then by all means grab it and have fun.

although i haven't seen the other versions yet, it's my understanding that fixing those problems was one of their top priorities once they were working outside the constraints of the PS2.  i'll probably be picking up the PC version once it goes on sale somewhere next week Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 09:33:20 PM »

I`ve played alot so far and there really isn`t any "pop in".
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 09:38:46 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
I`ve played alot so far and there really isn`t any "pop in".

Here's the test. Find a really long straight piece of road. The freeway for example. Get on it and gun it in a really fast car to where everything is blurring then keep at it for a few seconds, then slam on the handbrakes and skid to a halt. If you don't see a lot of blank followed quickly by the city "popping in" then it's fixed. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 10:57:05 PM »

The first mission killed it for me on the PS2.

I'm riding my bike down the street with guys shooting at me from a car. Cops drive over and arrest ME!!!!

OUT!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 04:37:00 AM »

Wow Devil, you give up quick.  :shock:  :o
Though, I didn't like GTA;SA either, but I atleast put in several hours (over 24hours) into the game before calling it quits.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 11:51:21 AM »

OUT!

I tried the original GTA pack on the Xbox and just couldn't do it.  I can't be a bad guy in any way, shape or form.  

More importantly, I just can't get into anything with a gang related/inner city theme.  Just not for me.  It's a complete turn off.  Now, take this GTA-style game and put it into any other setting and I'm all over it.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 12:08:01 PM »

I'm with Starshifter.  Just can't get into anything gangish or thugish.  Just don't see the appeal of running around wreaking havoc on innocents and being generally a bad person.  Not for me.  Plus, this game just looks awful.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 12:17:42 PM »

Wow Devil, you give up quick.

I played for a while more but we got off on the wrong foot and the game just kinda annoyed me. I didn't last much longer. :cry:

I like the other GTAs though.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 12:48:37 PM »

I figured you held on a bit longer. I know how you feel though, it took me a little longer to figure out that I can listen to music without GTA.  biggrin

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 01:10:27 PM »

I'd picked this up for the PS2.  I think I maybe got four hours in before I got annoyed by the additions of the gym and needing food.  That is every day for me, I don't want to have to do it in a game.

It seemed fine enough, it just didn't grab me like Vice City, which I loved.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 01:23:09 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I'm with Starshifter.  Just can't get into anything gangish or thugish.  Just don't see the appeal of running around wreaking havoc on innocents and being generally a bad person.  Not for me.  Plus, this game just looks awful.

Carl isn't a bad person and doesn't hurt any innocents in the story... in fact I'd say he is just about the most innocent (least guilty?) person in the storyline. Tongue He's dealt a bad hand and does what he can with it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 02:23:24 PM »

Carl kills a lot of innocents with his driving....(nobody gets through GTA without running people over). and at 4 hours into the PC version, he's already murdered a bunch of military to steal crates from a military warehouse.

Not that I mind..I've liked the GTA series since 3 came out for the PC. And I like this one.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005, 02:28:15 PM »

Yeah, that is always the funniest thing to me, people talking about how they could never play a bad guy who kills innocents.  You never HAVE to kill innocents in the GTA games.  Most of your targets are other gangsters.

How many of the people who complain about killing innocents in GTA games have no problem playing Burnout 3, where you crash headlong into innocent people while racing on the highway?  

In fact, Burnout 3 rewards you for slaughtering as many innocent drivers as possible. The GTA games give you no such rewards for killing people.  The more innocent people you kill in GTA, the more cops show up to kill you.  If you keep killing innocents in GTA, the army will show up in tanks and you will not survive for long.

I have yet to see the army show up in Burnout 3 and take me down.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 05:22:42 PM »

Doomboy -

It's not the killing of innocents in the game that turns me off.  I really hate the whole gang/inner city theme.  Theme being the keyword here.  I just can't get into that type of setting.  I tried to with the GTA pack for Xbox.  I hated it.  I love the idea and design of the opened ended gameplay, but I just wish it would be applied to a different setting.

Burnout 3 is a bad comparison since there was no story to that game.  It as an arcade-type car game.  I played a little of that and didn't care for it either.  But that is because I'm also not a fan of racing/car games.  They bore me to death too.  Forza, Project Gotham, Gran Turismo, etc. - bleh!

Now here is something that will totally make you say "Starshifter is nuts!"  I'm really, really looking forward to "The Warriors" game!!!!!!  I know what you are thinking, especially since what I just said about the inner city theme.  But the movie (released in 1979 or thereabouts) is a fantastic cult movie.  I loved it.  So, I have a special bond towards the game because of the movie.  I can't wait - The Turnbull AC's, Baseball Furies, Lizzies, and the Gramecy Riffs"!  "CANNNNN YOUUUU DIGGG ITTTT!"

smile

XM Channel 76
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005, 05:37:26 PM »

Mercenaries applied that whole type of game to a different setting.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 05:43:36 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
Mercenaries applied that whole type of game to a different setting.

I know.  I had it - 3 times!  Loved it briefly then returned it because of CONTINUOUS SOUND (DIALOG & MUSIC) SKIPPING!!!  When I mean continuous, I mean it skipped all the time.  Right from the beginning intro onward.  I returned it three times thinking it was bad disks.  No go.  No other game had that problem in my Xbox.  I was very upset because I really liked what I saw of the game.  I played the demo on my OXM disk a billion times.  I even asked several people here for help but nobody else really had that problem and the things people told me to try I did try, but to no avail.

Truly a good game I will never play. :cry:

XM Channel 76
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 07:19:47 PM »

Well, I`m still sticking to my guns :wink: . Great game. Like I said I LOVED GTA3, but not Vice city. But, this one is easily the best in my book. I didn`t think I`d like the whole "theme" of it, but it works well enough. I like the additions of the gym and stuff, it`s there, but you don`t need to spend very much time there at all so far if you don`t want to. There`s simply SO!!! much to do, and the majority of it works really, really well IMHO. Like I said, Great game!
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 10:51:22 PM »

Starshifter -- I realize you didn't, but someone mentioned killing innocents, and I just figured I would chime in again with the idea that no one forces you to kill innocents in the GTA games.

I ain't saying you have to love GTA.  If you don't enjoy it, that is fine, I just don't like it when people harp on the whole "hooker killing" aspect of the game, as if that is something you are forced to do.  It bugs me.  Deep down.  For some reason.

I wasn't comparing GTA to Burnout 3 on a story level, I was just wondering how many people look at GTA and say "Ew! How horrible! I can kill innocent people!", and then boot up Burnout 3 and have no problem causing massive pileups on the freeways.  

Where are the saviours to protect our children from the horrors of Burnout 3???? (That substance dripping off of that last line is simply sarcasm.  Do not worry if it gets on your clothing, it will wash right out.  In fact, some people do not even notice sarcasm.  This has been a public service announcement)

unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 10:57:56 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
Carl kills a lot of innocents with his driving....(nobody gets through GTA without running people over). and at 4 hours into the PC version, he's already murdered a bunch of military to steal crates from a military warehouse.

Not that I mind..I've liked the GTA series since 3 came out for the PC. And I like this one.

I've played these games tons.  One time I completed GTA:VC and had an innocent kill count below 10.  But ordinarily I go out of my way to kill pedestrians  Tongue
Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 07:33:48 AM »

Its funny, I spent the first mission dying horribly as I figured out the controlls to the game.  Then once I did that (And boy was irritated riding a damn bike while being chased for my life), I cleared the first mission with relative ease.  And ended up hammering out the game in about a week of real time.

If you dislike a game because of your hero, why would you ever play an alien or a bug?  The game immerses you, it has great voice acting and aplotline I enjoyed so throughly I might play it again because I had that much fun.  

BUT I guess those of you who didnt mind playing homicidal maniacs in GTA 3 and Vice City might have a trouble playing one in this one.  Although if you refuse to play this game because the main character is a gangster (much like he was in the first 2), maybe its not because he is a gangster, but it's because he's a black gangster.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
jeansberg
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 12:00:10 PM »

BUT I guess those of you who didnt mind playing homicidal maniacs in GTA 3 and Vice City might have a trouble playing one in this one. Although if you refuse to play this game because the main character is a gangster (much like he was in the first 2), maybe its not because he is a gangster, but it's because he's a black gangster.

I think the main problem some people are having is the game's portrayal of "black gangster culture" more than the main character himself being black.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"
I ain't saying you have to love GTA.  If you don't enjoy it, that is fine, I just don't like it when people harp on the whole "hooker killing" aspect of the game, as if that is something you are forced to do.  It bugs me.  Deep down.  For some reason.

No problem big guy.  I understand what you mean.  As a matter of fact, when I did try GTA3 on Xbox, the first thing I did was had my way with a hooker and then beat her senseless.  A friend of mine told me I had to try that.  Understand though this was back when I was going through my divorce and I couldn't help but think about what my former wife did to me and I took out my frustrations on that computer generated hooker! Women are still evil in my book.  :evil:

:wink:

XM Channel 76
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2005, 12:23:08 PM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
Although if you refuse to play this game because the main character is a gangster (much like he was in the first 2), maybe its not because he is a gangster, but it's because he's a black gangster.

Absolutely not Semaj.  Please don't bring race into this.  I never played GTA 1 or 2 or Vice City and I only tried GTA3.  Hated them all again because of the overall theme.  They were all white characters I believe in those games.  Whites, blacks, girls, aliens - it doesn't matter who I play.  If I don't like the theme or genre, I'm not playing it.  For me, thats gang-styled games or racing games. smile

XM Channel 76
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 12:58:30 PM »

Is anyone else having pop-in issues?  I was riding the bike down a highway road yesterday and decided to head off into the grass only to run into an invisible wall at the edge of the road.  I'm trying to figure out what's going on and then the guardrail pops in.  I played GTA3 and VC on the PS2 and it was never this bad.  I also notice it during the opening cutscene when you get pulled out of the taxi.  A tree pops up in the background and then the camera view changes and a building(or overpass or something) pops in.  

I have a launch day XBox with the original DVD drive and it's been giving DDEs lately so I'm wondering if that's causing my problem.  I bought a new DVD drive which should arrive today so hopefully that cleans things up.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2005, 03:01:58 PM »

Starshifter, you should maybe give Vice City a try someday.  I know where you're coming from with the theme.  Though the first GTA didn't really bother me, SA's gang culture isn't my favorite.  But there was something about the 80s vibe in Vice City and the Miami-style setting that just made the whole thing feel upbeat.  Even through the story missions where you're still a gangster and all, I couldn't help feeling like the main character was on vacation.

Actually, one of my main gripes with SA is the one that I figured would be the case when I started playing (it's also very personal, so I doubt everyone feels this way).  The radio is such a key part of a GTA game, and I'm not loving the music.  Now, understand that I love 80's music, so I knew it wasn't going to meet that, but I'm so tired of the "urban soundtrack" in games (thanks, EA) that I was dreading these new stations being all rap.  Fortunately, it's nowhere near that bad.  But in Vice City I think the Heavy Metal station was the only one I would regularly turn off, now there's not a single station that doesn't make me turn the channel at some point.  I think I'm actually going to have to put in a custom soundtrack for the first time ever.  

Graphically, I wish the signs were clearer from a little farther away.  There is pop up on those textures, and it's disappointing 'cause you can't read them while driving.  Also, there is a nasty pause any time I start a vehicle mission, but I've learned to live with that.

Thank God for the camera control change.  Finally, the cameras aren't a royal pain in the ass when you're running around.  However, they are now a mild PITA when driving.  I'm so used to pushing the right thumbstick right to see what I'm driviing by that it messes me up to have the camera turning.  I just have to get used to using the black and white buttons now.
Similar problem in the firetruck missions, I keep cancelling the mission trying to put out fires!

Finally, I'm finding driving to be much more of a challenge in this game.  Other cars seem to purposefully get in your way now.  And they all get out of the car ready to kick your ass for the smallest ding.  Also, vehicles seem a lot more fragile, especially given how much more frequently I'm slamming into things.  Now maybe this will all get better as my driving skill improves, but right now it's a little frustrating.  Add to that the fact that it's clearly going to take a lot longer to get familiar with the streets of SA and that I'm not loving the radio, and I definitely am having mixed feelings.

Still, I already care about the characters, and the gameplay seems pretty rich, so I'm sure the fact that I want to go and play again now is a good sign.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2005, 05:34:18 PM »

Gameplay-wise, is this very similar to GTA3? I bought the $9.99 PC version of GTA3 a couple weeks ago, and played it for about a week before I got bored. I just felt like it was too much mindless fetch quests, without any real purpose. Plus the graphics were nothing to write home about.

I'd love to play a gangster freeform game (I think), but if it's just like GTA3 (go there, do that, repeat for no apparent reason) I worry I'll put it aside after a few days.

Any input?
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2005, 06:55:26 PM »

All the GTA games have very similiar gameplay, GTA3 had no real "character" though, in my opinion.  But I still loved it for the open endedness.

The GTA 3 had a story, but it wasn't as obvious as the last two have been.  If you can get Vice City cheap, try that one out first, because it is more like San Andreas than GTA 3 is.  

Vice City has a lot of character, and it is just plain all around awesome.  Unless you absolutely hated the '80s that is.

Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2005, 12:48:13 AM »

I hated the 80's

Damn 80's

On with the 2010's!

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2005, 04:33:09 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
... the first thing I did was had my way with a hooker and then beat her senseless.  [...] Understand though this was back when I was going through my divorce and I couldn't help but think about what my former wife did to me and I took out my frustrations on that computer generated hooker! ...

Yeah, uhm, I think Rockstar needs to put a disclaimer indicating their product is not designed as a post-relationship coping mechanism; using GTA for theraputic uses such as expression of violent acts on women is not condoned by their company or shareholders.

Beating hookers up is only intended as a lighthearted and fanciful pass-time, not a form of degenerate behaviour.

Wait, where was I going with this ??  :shock:

::Purge backs into the shadows::

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2005, 07:35:51 AM »

I`ve put in many hours into this, and wow it`s EASILY the best gta game ever IMHO. There`s just SO much to do, and the majority of it is done rather well, and fun as hell to play. Great game.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2005, 03:26:33 PM »

So, tell me, do the hands look like real hands in the xbox version, or are they claw-hands like on the PC version?  I need to know for some reason.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2005, 04:16:20 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Actually, one of my main gripes with SA is the one that I figured would be the case when I started playing (it's also very personal, so I doubt everyone feels this way).  The radio is such a key part of a GTA game, and I'm not loving the music.  Now, understand that I love 80's music, so I knew it wasn't going to meet that, but I'm so tired of the "urban soundtrack" in games (thanks, EA) that I was dreading these new stations being all rap.  Fortunately, it's nowhere near that bad.  But in Vice City I think the Heavy Metal station was the only one I would regularly turn off, now there's not a single station that doesn't make me turn the channel at some point.  I think I'm actually going to have to put in a custom soundtrack for the first time ever.  

Graphically, I wish the signs were clearer from a little farther away.  There is pop up on those textures, and it's disappointing 'cause you can't read them while driving.  Also, there is a nasty pause any time I start a vehicle mission, but I've learned to live with that.

Thank God for the camera control change.  Finally, the cameras aren't a royal pain in the ass when you're running around.  However, they are now a mild PITA when driving.  I'm so used to pushing the right thumbstick right to see what I'm driviing by that it messes me up to have the camera turning.  I just have to get used to using the black and white buttons now.
Similar problem in the firetruck missions, I keep cancelling the mission trying to put out fires!

Finally, I'm finding driving to be much more of a challenge in this game.  Other cars seem to purposefully get in your way now.  And they all get out of the car ready to kick your ass for the smallest ding.  Also, vehicles seem a lot more fragile, especially given how much more frequently I'm slamming into things.  Now maybe this will all get better as my driving skill improves, but right now it's a little frustrating.  Add to that the fact that it's clearly going to take a lot longer to get familiar with the streets of SA and that I'm not loving the radio, and I definitely am having mixed feelings.

Still, I already care about the characters, and the gameplay seems pretty rich, so I'm sure the fact that I want to go and play again now is a good sign.

Combine the flight handling later in the game and you nailed all the problems I had with it. Plus on the PS2 you couldn't turn off the radio. You could in the menus, but the game wouldn't recognize it. My solution to that was to turn the radio volume all the way off and then whenever I'd jump in a car the radio would come on but I wouldn't hear it. Simple, yet effective. smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: