http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 07:54:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GTA4 Hints and Tips?  (Read 24388 times)
madman
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »

Hi,

I don't know if this is of interest to anybody but I found an odd quirk with the game.  Last night I organised to play Roman down at the bowling alley near the firefly fun park.  After the game, I did my old San Andreas thing of just wandering down to the beach and taking a swim.  Roman came with me, and within 20 seconds - drowned!

I reloaded my previous save because I didn't want a chunk of the story to get lost by this episode, but perhaps this drowing thing may help to ditch girlfriends or cheat the game along a bit?  eek

Another odd thing was when I tried to get into the titty club with a baseball bat.  The bat wasn't drawn but I still got a message saying 'no entry with weapons'.  I tried to enter with nothin in my hands but still got chucked out.  I had to get arrested and go back with no weapons at all.  Can't you drop items in the game?  Was I supposed to wander off a way and then go back?
 icon_neutral
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2008, 07:57:36 PM »

Quote from: madman on May 11, 2008, 07:16:38 PM

Hi,

I don't know if this is of interest to anybody but I found an odd quirk with the game.  Last night I organised to play Roman down at the bowling alley near the firefly fun park.  After the game, I did my old San Andreas thing of just wandering down to the beach and taking a swim.  Roman came with me, and within 20 seconds - drowned!

I reloaded my previous save because I didn't want a chunk of the story to get lost by this episode, but perhaps this drowing thing may help to ditch girlfriends or cheat the game along a bit?  eek

Another odd thing was when I tried to get into the titty club with a baseball bat.  The bat wasn't drawn but I still got a message saying 'no entry with weapons'.  I tried to enter with nothin in my hands but still got chucked out.  I had to get arrested and go back with no weapons at all.  Can't you drop items in the game?  Was I supposed to wander off a way and then go back?
 icon_neutral

Hmm,i have been in the Titty club with a full arsenal(can't remember if i have drawn any weapons)..baseball bat,knife,pistol,machine gun...rocket launcher

i do know that after a lap dance,if you havent any money they start getting mad at you

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2008, 08:22:03 PM »

No, you just have to walk in with just fists.  I think you might have accidentally tapped the weapon switch button while inside or in view of the guards.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2008, 09:57:44 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 11, 2008, 08:22:03 PM

No, you just have to walk in with just fists.  I think you might have accidentally tapped the weapon switch button while inside or in view of the guards.

i've walked in the door with weapons equipped many times without any trouble...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2008, 11:16:13 PM »

Quote from: madman on May 11, 2008, 07:16:38 PM

Hi,

You can't kill off characters that way, especially important story-related ones like Roman.  Typically you'll get a call from them at some point afterward asking you to pick them up from the hospital. 
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2008, 11:29:15 PM »

One thing that I have found that helps is you need to date every chick you can find.  I'm not going to be specific unless someone wants me to be, but relationships can really help you out of a jam in  this game.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2008, 03:54:06 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on May 11, 2008, 11:29:15 PM

One thing that I have found that helps is you need to date every chick you can find.  I'm not going to be specific unless someone wants me to be, but relationships can really help you out of a jam in  this game.

Here's my question on dating.  In the last game, I was able to get coffee and move on.  The girl may have called occaisionally when I was in the area, but I could just ignore her and keep playing, and her affection wouldn't go down.

In GTA IV, will I have to be juggling dates with every woman I find AND all of the other "homies" I meet?  I don't want this thing turning into a social simulator.

I finally unlocked LJ's gun trunk recently.  Am I going to have to keep having man-dates with him where I constantly drive into oncoming traffic because I have to read the subtitles to understand 1/10th of what he's saying?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2008, 04:10:57 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 12, 2008, 03:54:06 PM

Am I going to have to keep having man-dates with him where I constantly drive into oncoming traffic because I have to read the subtitles to understand 1/10th of what he's saying?

Respec', mon.

(and no; I've pissed off Roman and I still get free cab rides; haven't tried since I got the new digs though... slywink)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2008, 04:30:14 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 12, 2008, 03:54:06 PM

Quote from: The_Man on May 11, 2008, 11:29:15 PM

Here's my question on dating.  In the last game, I was able to get coffee and move on.  The girl may have called occaisionally when I was in the area, but I could just ignore her and keep playing, and her affection wouldn't go down.

In GTA IV, will I have to be juggling dates with every woman I find AND all of the other "homies" I meet?  I don't want this thing turning into a social simulator.

I finally unlocked LJ's gun trunk recently.  Am I going to have to keep having man-dates with him where I constantly drive into oncoming traffic because I have to read the subtitles to understand 1/10th of what he's saying?

Yes, you have to maintain your relationships.  It's  not very hard though- get them to 100% and it will take them a while to pull their perk (70 or 75%).  If you need to, accept when they ask you on a "date" and then call them back and cancel- you won't take the rep hit you do by cancelling outright.

Personally, I usually do most of the social stuff because I enjoy the dialogues on the way. The amount of conversation recorded for each person is staggering and it really does a nice job of fleshing out some of the supporting cast. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2008, 04:35:14 PM »

Can someone explain Carmen's perk to me?  I've called twice and seen no effect.  Probably should spoiler it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 12, 2008, 04:35:14 PM

Can someone explain Carmen's perk to me?  I've called twice and seen no effect.  Probably should spoiler it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I believe she can heal you over the phone if you are injured.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »

I got a Q, if you get a perk from friendship and you then start to ignore that person, do you lose the perk or does it stay in your phone permanently?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2008, 04:40:45 PM »

Hasn't worked for me so far.  Kiki's perk, on the other hand, has definitely helped me out in a pinch. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2008, 07:45:32 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 12, 2008, 04:40:45 PM

Hasn't worked for me so far.  Kiki's perk, on the other hand, has definitely helped me out in a pinch. 

Same for me.  I'll call Carmen and she'll say something like

Spoiler for Hiden:
breathe more slowly to lower your heart rate

but nothing will happen.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2008, 08:38:49 PM »

Be careful with Kiki. I have found 2 things  that will make her dump you instantly:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Getting her drunk and breaking laws excessively in front of her (like shooting someone). I'm not sure if getting her drunk ALWAYS has that effect but it did with me. I save before I take her out because her skill is WAY too valuable to lose before it's time

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2008, 08:41:08 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on May 12, 2008, 08:38:49 PM

Be careful with Kiki. I have found 2 things  that will make her dump you instantly:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Getting her drunk and breaking laws excessively in front of her (like shooting someone). I'm not sure if getting her drunk ALWAYS has that effect but it did with me. I save before I take her out because her skill is WAY too valuable to lose before it's time

I've done both with her without any negative effect. 
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2008, 08:42:32 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 12, 2008, 07:45:32 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 12, 2008, 04:40:45 PM

Same for me.  I'll call Carmen and she'll say something like

Spoiler for Hiden:
breathe more slowly to lower your heart rate

but nothing will happen.

Spoiler for Hiden:
ditto.  i've yet to see her perk actually work.  methinks there's a bug.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

When do you get a better phone? I'm interested in playing with some of the features available for DL but lack a new phone. Thoughts?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2008, 09:12:58 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 12, 2008, 09:11:18 PM

When do you get a better phone? I'm interested in playing with some of the features available for DL but lack a new phone. Thoughts?

It's given to you after you run a mission in Algonquin for
Spoiler for Hiden:
Playboy X
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2008, 09:13:48 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 12, 2008, 09:11:18 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
You get a new phone from Playboy X, IIRC.  He wants you to take someone out, but can't describe him right, so he gives you a camera phone to take a pic and confirm the identity of your victim.

Damn you, Brendan.  You beat me to it.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2008, 10:09:51 PM »

Cool, that set is what I'm working on next.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2008, 02:52:35 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 12, 2008, 08:41:08 PM

Quote from: somoflange on May 12, 2008, 08:38:49 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I've done both with her without any negative effect. 

Agreed.  I actually take her out to get drunk often, because she's really nutso when she's drunk.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 12, 2008, 04:40:29 PM

I got a Q, if you get a perk from friendship and you then start to ignore that person, do you lose the perk or does it stay in your phone permanently?

Hey guys, anyone know about this?
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2008, 02:56:47 PM »

I got the lawchick mad at me on the first date. Is there any way to get her back?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »

I pretty sure you can lose perk if you go too long without doing something to keep your 'like' rating up and refusing the random 'let's hang' calls you'll get.

I 'think' I lost LJs for a bit, but a couple games of pool sorted that out.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2008, 03:07:59 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 13, 2008, 02:54:43 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 12, 2008, 04:40:29 PM

Hey guys, anyone know about this?

Pretty sure you'll lose it if their like value falls below 70 or 75%.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »

Damn ok thanks guys.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »

I think Carmen's ability not working is a bug.  It definitely does not work for me.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2008, 05:30:09 PM »

Quote from: olaf on May 15, 2008, 04:59:45 PM

I think Carmen's ability not working is a bug.  It definitely does not work for me.

It worked for me and then after I used it three times it didn't  work, which means I'm supposed to take her on a date to get her "primed" again, per the strategy guide. However, that didn't seem to help revive the ability. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2008, 06:05:34 PM »

carmen's perk has never worked for me and she's currently at 100 percent due to my sweet, sweet lovin'.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2008, 06:08:03 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 15, 2008, 06:05:34 PM

carmen's perk has never worked for me and she's currently at 100 percent due to my sweet, sweet lovin'.

I think I may dump carmen just to get some of these needy-ass people off my list.  It gets annoying to receive like 4 phone calls and text messages while driving to a mission... mad

BTW, I know I can turn it off, but then I'll probably forget about it...
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2008, 07:26:49 PM »

For those that might have trouble getting away from the cops, I managed to lose them in the Subway on foot one time. After a mission I had a 3 or 4 star wanted level and just couldn't get away from the cops with the clunker car I had. I tried to switch cars but they shot me up as I got in, and then rammed the car so much it caught on fire. So with barely a sliver of health left, I bailed into the subway system, and started running down the track. The cops didn't seem to follow, and after awhile of sprinting on foot I got outside the search zone and lost the warrant level.

Of course, this took a long time for me to actually sprint out of the zone, and I had to dodge the subway trains the entire time, but it worked.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2008, 07:43:44 PM »

funny thing happened to me,i took Roman to eat,and then when dropping him off,i parked in the marker...but my saved car was in the reservation space outside the(our) apartment...so Roman couldnt get out of the car,so he punched me,kicked me out of the car,and looked like he was going to drive away(it was as though he was jacking me..like i had done to thousands before)..but then he just got out of the car and told me it was good to see me again

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2008, 07:47:25 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 15, 2008, 07:43:44 PM

funny thing happened to me,i took Roman to eat,and then when dropping him off,i parked in the marker...but my saved car was in the reservation space outside the(our) apartment...so Roman couldnt get out of the car,so he punched me,kicked me out of the car,and looked like he was going to drive away(it was as though he was jacking me..like i had done to thousands before)..but then he just got out of the car and told me it was good to see me again

That happened to me too!  I thought I was going to have to shoot him in the face!  biggrin

I thought that was brilliant
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2008, 07:47:36 PM »

That's because Roman's been having some rough times these days.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2008, 07:50:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 15, 2008, 07:47:36 PM

WTF was that???
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2008, 08:03:33 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 15, 2008, 07:43:44 PM

That happened to me too. My wife was watching me play and we both found that to be quite hilarious.

LiveTAG: happydog
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2008, 02:32:23 AM »

First time Roman did that I was quite, "WTF?!?" Took 'till the second or third time before I realized why he was doing it. Clever programming.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2008, 02:37:19 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 15, 2008, 07:50:28 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 15, 2008, 07:47:36 PM

WTF was that???

That's nine kinds of awesome right there, my friend. icon_cool

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2008, 05:04:56 AM »

Hey, I'd pay to have him ride around with me just yelling random quotes from GTA4.  Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: