http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 12:36:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GTA4 Hints and Tips?  (Read 24597 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2008, 07:06:39 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on May 06, 2008, 07:03:58 PM

the first time you meet her and she has all new stuff in a rundown apartment kinda tips off that something is up.

That, and she's always asking you about the cars, Roman and all kinds of crap.  Fishy, fishy, fishy!  And no, CK, I'm not talking about any odors that may be emanating from her  Roll Eyes
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2008, 01:46:47 PM »

I'm not that clear on the process for saving a vehicle.  I know that if I park a car I like in the parking spot in front of a safehouse before saving and exiting the game, it's there when I restart the game later on.  However, is that car there from now on?  or do i have to park the car and save at the safehouse if i want to keep that vehicle?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2008, 01:50:23 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 07, 2008, 01:46:47 PM

I'm not that clear on the process for saving a vehicle.  I know that if I park a car I like in the parking spot in front of a safehouse before saving and exiting the game, it's there when I restart the game later on.  However, is that car there from now on?  or do i have to park the car and save at the safehouse if i want to keep that vehicle?

You have to park there and have the game saved either manually through the safehouse or through an autosave.  (Hey look, a pun!)  The car will be there until you drive it away and the game gets saved with the car not in the parking spot.  It doesn't turn into a spawn point for the car like I heard it does in Saint's Row.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2008, 02:06:19 PM »

Thanks, having gone back to Saints Row for a few weeks a while ago, that was what was confusing me. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2008, 04:49:08 PM »

Also, I believe that *any* reserved space will do, not just the one for your current designated safehouse.  A little judicious exploring will likely reveal some more.  I'm starting to leave a car on each island so I can just warp there using a cab or other device and then grab a nice car of my choice if needed for a mission. 
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2008, 04:53:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 07, 2008, 04:49:08 PM

Also, I believe that *any* reserved space will do, not just the one for your current designated safehouse.  A little judicious exploring will likely reveal some more.  I'm starting to leave a car on each island so I can just warp there using a cab or other device and then grab a nice car of my choice if needed for a mission. 

I think I have developed a car-jacking fetish.  Instead of taking my car to the Paint n' Spray, I just get out and take someone else's car.  Am I a bad person?

Oh yeah, that, and whenever I'm driving in real life now, I look at traffic and see if I can squeeze my car between the lanes of traffic and through red lights.   icon_twisted
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2008, 04:56:45 PM »

I generally keep a Turismo and the car that you get for doing the race (forget it's name) on standby for times when I feel like I need something high speed with good maneuverability.  I want to snag a Banshee but the only time I've seen one in the wild was right in the middle of a mission.  I did *drive* a Banshee for one of the car jacking missions but there was no way I could find to steal it for my own.  Presumably now that I've unlocked Algonquin I'll have easier access to some better vehicles. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2008, 05:27:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 07, 2008, 04:56:45 PM

I generally keep a Turismo and the car that you get for doing the race (forget it's name) on standby for times when I feel like I need something high speed with good maneuverability.  I want to snag a Banshee but the only time I've seen one in the wild was right in the middle of a mission.  I did *drive* a Banshee for one of the car jacking missions but there was no way I could find to steal it for my own.  Presumably now that I've unlocked Algonquin I'll have easier access to some better vehicles. 

It was funny - right after I finished the race with Brucie I took the new car back to the safehouse in Bohan and parked it, but the exact same car (different color) was parked right behind the parking space. I broke into it and pulled it in behind the car I just won so I could save the nice yellow one for races. I took the second one out on a mission or something and wound up crashing it, exactly what I expected would happen.  Went back to get the yellow car and I called up Brucie to do the next race (either the 2nd or 3rd of 20, depending on if the mission counts). On the second lap, I hit a car on a turn and put the car on its side. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it right side up, so I lost that one too.

I figured I would come across another, but strangely often when you want a car of a certain kind, there's often none to be found.  I wanted to hit a stunt jump that's up by the docks in Bohan, but the place is just filled with minivans and crappy sedans that can't make the jump.  I ran around for blocks looking for a decent car or a bike. More often I see good cars when I am driving around and don't need one or am on a mission.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2008, 05:28:02 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on May 02, 2008, 03:15:24 AM

Quote from: ChaoZ on May 02, 2008, 03:06:57 AM

Tip: Don't drive into a gas station's pumps at full speed.  icon_cool

Got a pistol and a shotgun now, progress meter says I'm about 10% through, although I really don't feel I've scratched the plot really yet.

There's a progress meter?

the story makes up 65%.  all the side missions, jumps, random friends, etc. make up for the rest.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2008, 05:32:18 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 07, 2008, 05:27:25 PM

It was funny - right after I finished the race with Brucie I took the new car back to the safehouse in Bohan and parked it, but the exact same car (different color) was parked right behind the parking space. I broke into it and pulled it in behind the car I just won so I could save the nice yellow one for races. I took the second one out on a mission or something and wound up crashing it, exactly what I expected would happen.  Went back to get the yellow car and I called up Brucie to do the next race (either the 2nd or 3rd of 20, depending on if the mission counts). On the second lap, I hit a car on a turn and put the car on its side. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it right side up, so I lost that one too.

I figured I would come across another, but strangely often when you want a car of a certain kind, there's often none to be found.  I wanted to hit a stunt jump that's up by the docks in Bohan, but the place is just filled with minivans and crappy sedans that can't make the jump.  I ran around for blocks looking for a decent car or a bike. More often I see good cars when I am driving around and don't need one or am on a mission.

Yeah, I've tried to abuse the game's "spawn the same cars already onscreen" mechanic by just snagging duplicates of my snazzy ride and leaving the origina in relative safety but it doesn't work as often as I would like. 

I don't sweat the Turismo though- one of those seems to always be present next door to Mikhail's house so I can always grab another one pretty easily. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2008, 05:53:12 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 07, 2008, 05:32:18 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 07, 2008, 05:27:25 PM

Yeah, I've tried to abuse the game's "spawn the same cars already onscreen" mechanic by just snagging duplicates of my snazzy ride and leaving the origina in relative safety but it doesn't work as often as I would like. 

I don't sweat the Turismo though- one of those seems to always be present next door to Mikhail's house so I can always grab another one pretty easily. 

Ah, that's good to know.  I remember every time I did a mission for him there were always 2 cars in his driveway: a nice one at the end and and even nicer one parked behind.  I never thought to go back there after...you know.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2008, 08:56:57 PM »

We don't go to Ravenholme any more.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2008, 09:09:26 PM »

i beat snow storm last night this way, and if you are having problems getting out of the building, as i did more than once, here's how you do it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
first, take a good vehicle with decent ground clearance and park it on the back side of the building.  you will see a ladder on that side, which btw, makes a a great alt entrance into the building.  after you clear out the building and before you grab the package, go into the last room on the East side. it has a bunch of explosives in there, a table with a health pack in it and a wire spindle on it's side.  hop on top of this piece and then climb up onto the 'I' beam above your head.  walk south and jump to the 2nd story window sill.  you should practice this more than once because you won't have many safe attempts with the fuzz all around.  once you make the pickup, step out and blast the three noose members and go into the room.  if you don't kill them first, they might follow you in and start blasting.  once you get out, drive to the west side of the building, hop the vehicle over the small wall, and then drive like mad away from the site.  it will probably take a few turns as more cops always seem to show up at the worst time.  i ended up losing my vehicle to a flat tire and running out the last few blocks of the circle. 

this was after failing it twice due to that damn helicopter sniper killing me while i made my dash, and once because the cops blew up the explosives behind me. 

general tip for the vigilante missions.  single foot traffic is super easy and best done when you have no armor left.  do the gang missions on algonquin as they frequently drop assault rifles, grenades, and good shotguns.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 07, 2008, 09:09:26 PM

i beat snow storm last night this way, and if you are having problems getting out of the building, as i did more than once, here's how you do it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
first, take a good vehicle with decent ground clearance and park it on the back side of the building.  you will see a ladder on that side, which btw, makes a a great alt entrance into the building.  after you clear out the building and before you grab the package, go into the last room on the East side. it has a bunch of explosives in there, a table with a health pack in it and a wire spindle on it's side.  hop on top of this piece and then climb up onto the 'I' beam above your head.  walk south and jump to the 2nd story window sill.  you should practice this more than once because you won't have many safe attempts with the fuzz all around.  once you make the pickup, step out and blast the three noose members and go into the room.  if you don't kill them first, they might follow you in and start blasting.  once you get out, drive to the west side of the building, hop the vehicle over the small wall, and then drive like mad away from the site.  it will probably take a few turns as more cops always seem to show up at the worst time.  i ended up losing my vehicle to a flat tire and running out the last few blocks of the circle. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
Actually, the easiest way is to take the speedboat that's sitting right off the edge of the waterwall to the first island.  You can look for it before you even begin the mission.  I actually ran out the front door to the boat and made it out on the first try.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2008, 09:15:09 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
i looked for it and didn't see it. 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2008, 09:16:05 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 07, 2008, 09:15:09 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Weird.  It may spawn after the cops get there, then.
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »

Hey guys.  Need quick advice.

Only about an hour into the game.  I came to a point where I was on my way to get Michelle for the first date.  Roman called and needed help.  Me being foolish, thought that I could do the date first (since I was on my way), then go back to help Roman.  Well, I end up picking him up from the hospital.  So I completely missed that chance, and the autosave won't let me go back.  I'm going to restart (since I'm only beginning).  But in the future, how do you prevent this?  Turn off autosave?  Turn off the cell phone?
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2008, 12:34:17 PM »

Go to take care of your cousin and just call Michelle (or any other 'date') and tell her you can't make it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2008, 01:24:16 PM »

Quote from: TheGameAh on May 08, 2008, 12:14:02 PM

Hey guys.  Need quick advice.

Only about an hour into the game.  I came to a point where I was on my way to get Michelle for the first date.  Roman called and needed help.  Me being foolish, thought that I could do the date first (since I was on my way), then go back to help Roman.  Well, I end up picking him up from the hospital.  So I completely missed that chance, and the autosave won't let me go back.  I'm going to restart (since I'm only beginning).  But in the future, how do you prevent this?  Turn off autosave?  Turn off the cell phone?

No no, don't feel bad about that.  That's one of the first examples of the limited branching they've put into some of the missions.  Just keep playing how you want to play. smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »

Oh, wow, I didn't know you could completely skip that mission. 
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2008, 02:08:05 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 07, 2008, 09:16:05 PM

Quote from: Caine on May 07, 2008, 09:15:09 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Weird.  It may spawn after the cops get there, then.

Spoiler for Hiden:
  yep...apparently the sound of 700 SWAT members assaulting an abandoned hospital with automatic firearms and helicopters makes some guy with a speedboat really curious and he docks right outside the door.   icon_wink

i looked for it before i did the mission and it wasn't there, but after the cutscene it spawns.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »

Hmm, I checked repeatedly for a speedboat and could never find it even during the last part of the mission. 
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2008, 03:04:34 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 08, 2008, 02:31:56 PM

Hmm, I checked repeatedly for a speedboat and could never find it even during the last part of the mission. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
run out the door of the abandoned hospital and head straight.  there's a gap in the chain fence.  look for a ladder and head towards it.  over the side you'll see a dock and there should be a speedboat sitting there.  not sure why wouldn't see it since it's in every help faq for that mission i've seen.   icon_confused

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2008, 03:08:16 PM »

Well, I can say with absolute certainty that it wasn't there the first time I did the mission.  I had already read the speedboat recommendations and, sure enough, I saw the gap, saw the dock and thought "ah, here it is....wait, where's the damn boat???" Then I died in a hail of gunfire. 

It's either random or a bug but it was not there the two or three times I tried before giving up and doing the escape with a stupid Bobcat. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2008, 09:00:03 PM »

Someone who has completed the game should put together a list of the people you meet/can meet in the game and their perks.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2008, 09:08:38 PM »

i could post what the guide says about the different women and friends you meet.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2008, 09:12:48 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 08, 2008, 09:08:38 PM

i could post what the guide says about the different women and friends you meet.

Just do it as a spoiler.  smile

Ideally, if it wouldn't be too much, could you post the name of each person with a spoiler underneath as to what they do and such?  If it is too much, then just one big spoiler's cool too.  smile
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »

sure thing.  i'll write everything up when i get home. 

dkass
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2008, 08:50:39 PM »

I could use some help evading the police when I have 3 stars. I have tried the freeways (no good) and I have tried quick turns through the streets (not so good). I'm stuck on a couple of these missions--I drive around for around 10 minutes doing everything I can, but I ultimately wind up getting killed or caught.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »

I shot a pigeon when I was on a date with Michelle.  She said it was bullshit and left.  She knows that I hate pigeons.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2008, 08:57:05 PM »

Police presence gets higher in more upscale islands.  So try going back to Broker as there'll be less random police to spot you.

Likewise, keep an eye out on the minimap for the positions of police cars.  Unfortunately, foot police aren't highlighted on there, but the locations of police cars helps a lot when planning your route.

Try to get to the Spray shops instead of completely ditching your wanted level.  This way you just have to ditch the cars following directly behind you, then head into the spray and you should be clear.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »

Quote from: dkass on May 09, 2008, 08:50:39 PM

I could use some help evading the police when I have 3 stars. I have tried the freeways (no good) and I have tried quick turns through the streets (not so good). I'm stuck on a couple of these missions--I drive around for around 10 minutes doing everything I can, but I ultimately wind up getting killed or caught.

Are you ever able to escape the search radius or is that part of the problem for you?  A lot of times I exit the radius but see a cop car radar blip up ahead and end up just stopping the car until the wanted level clears.

Are you in a decent car when you're trying to escape?  If you're in a clunker, just drive as best you can as you try to search for an upgrade to switch to, which will make it much easier to shake the cops.

When you say quick turns through the streets was a not so good approach, are you just trying to zig and zag through the streets or is there a method to your madness?  Remember, your focus is on getting outside the radius without going near any flashing blips on your radar.  You don't need to do quick turns if there's nobody in your way ahead--or are you saying you can't outrun the police right behind you?

Sorry for the vague tips, it's hard to guess what exactly you're having trouble with. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2008, 08:59:33 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 09, 2008, 08:57:05 PM

Police presence gets higher in more upscale islands.  So try going back to Broker as there'll be less random police to spot you.

Likewise, keep an eye out on the minimap for the positions of police cars.  Unfortunately, foot police aren't highlighted on there, but the locations of police cars helps a lot when planning your route.

Try to get to the Spray shops instead of completely ditching your wanted level.  This way you just have to ditch the cars following directly behind you, then head into the spray and you should be clear.

The flipside is that if you have a fast car then you should probably be able to outrun them on those nice straight Algonquin streets and drive out of the search radius. 
dkass
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2008, 09:14:23 PM »

I'll try the spray shops. I had no problem with 2 stars, but three has really been a drag. I've tried to be smart about my driving, bith with the car used and route I take, but maybe I have been a little too frantic. I can't imagine what 4 or 5 is like.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2008, 09:26:31 PM »

Quote from: dkass on May 09, 2008, 09:14:23 PM

I'll try the spray shops. I had no problem with 2 stars, but three has really been a drag. I've tried to be smart about my driving, bith with the car used and route I take, but maybe I have been a little too frantic. I can't imagine what 4 or 5 is like.

just wait until you get six... icon_wink

on a serious note though...don't forget that you don't always have to be in a car to get away.  i've had a few situations where i'm outside the circle, waiting for my wanted level to go away, and suddenly find that i'm surrounded and about to be spotted again by cars coming down the street.  if you're lucky, you may be able to ditch your car and run down an alley to get out of sight.  once you're in the clear, you can either keep running, or pick up another car to put some more distance between you and the law.  i've taken off on foot to lose the cops on more than one occassion and it can work out if you watch where you're going.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2008, 09:59:05 PM »

I had some trouble on that Tunnel of Death mission.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I thought I'd try out that spiffy new rocket launcher from behind my truck. Turns out, shooting off a rocket while taking cover means that you'll blind fire around the corner, Rainbow Six Vegas style. The rocket veered off to the left, missing the car I was pointing it at. I thought it'd hit the truck I was supposed to steal, but luckily it went past that one as well. Instead it decided to fly past a whole crowd of cops and touch down right on Packie's face. Mission over. The second go around at least I managed to complete the mission. I had black smoke coming out of the truck by the time I lost my police stars. Guess I shouldn't have hit so many cop cars head on. smile

A note on special abilities:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I got Packie's special ability soon after, which is that he'll leave a phone bomb for you somewhere, which you can stick underneath a car just like in that one mission. Dwayne's ability was much cooler: he'll send over a hummer with goons to help you out. I tried it once and got one guy with a pistol and one with an uzi. It was great fun kicking cars in front of a traffic light and seeing them go berserk on the angry drivers. icon_lol
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2008, 11:33:34 PM »

if anyone has the Bradygames guide...and are using it for Random Characters,there is a certain girl.....(her name is the same as a sean connery film.......not even sure why i dont just say her name,it doesn't/isnt going to spoil anything)

Spoiler for Hiden:
her name is Marnie,and in the guide it says she is in Alderney City,facing the fountain in the park,spaced out on a bench

this is in fact bollocks,she is actually in Algonquin,diamond and liberty
i have only been using the guide really for the random characters....and each one is pretty vague when describing where they are..
e.g.eddie low is at the mouth of an alley in Alderrney city...well...thanks for that,guide(!) 

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2008, 07:45:22 PM »

Where are you supposed to park the cars that you acquire? I usually leave mine in that reserved spot in front of Niko's apartment;however, more often than not, they usually disappear after awhile. What gives???
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »

Quote from: Goonch on May 10, 2008, 07:45:22 PM

Where are you supposed to park the cars that you acquire? I usually leave mine in that reserved spot in front of Niko's apartment;however, more often than not, they usually disappear after awhile. What gives???

as long as the car is parked compeltely in the reserved space they should be there unless you drive them away. I've never had one disappear on me. I suppose it's possible if you park on there during a mission it might not be there afterwards, since it seems the mission world is not the same as the game world, things get moved and reset going into and coming out of a mission.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2008, 10:00:24 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 09, 2008, 09:26:31 PM

Quote from: dkass on May 09, 2008, 09:14:23 PM

just wait until you get six... icon_wink

on a serious note though...don't forget that you don't always have to be in a car to get away.  i've had a few situations where i'm outside the circle, waiting for my wanted level to go away, and suddenly find that i'm surrounded and about to be spotted again by cars coming down the street.  if you're lucky, you may be able to ditch your car and run down an alley to get out of sight.  once you're in the clear, you can either keep running, or pick up another car to put some more distance between you and the law.  i've taken off on foot to lose the cops on more than one occassion and it can work out if you watch where you're going.

I just got a 4 star rating for driving on the runway...so I lead an army of police on a high-speed chase through Broker.  I couldn't shake them, so I ended up ditching my car, and jumping in the river.  By swimming alongside the docks, the cop boats couldn't see me (couldn't come close enough) and the cops on land couldn't see me.  I had to time my swimming dashes to avoid the patrol boats, though.

I earned that achievement by swimming away.  It was pretty awesome.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: