http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 03:11:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GTA4 Hints and Tips?  (Read 24605 times)
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2008, 02:54:06 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on May 02, 2008, 02:50:25 PM

I took MIchele to bowling ( i think we all did that)cabaret ( nailed her after that), took her then to that greasy diner by the cab comapny( she loved that for some reason)  so I nailed her again after that,  then took her somewhere else( i forget) and nailed her again after that.

T

I have the strategy guide at home so I'm sure I could look it up, but she seems to be happy with the simple places I take her. She was unimpressed with the nightclub, but is thrilled with the diner and Clucking Bell. And bowling and darts. She does complain a bit if I detour a bit driving home, she must be hot for my body!!!  slywink

XBL gamertag: jztemple
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2008, 02:54:20 PM »

I took MIchele to bowling ( i think we all did that)cabaret ( nailed her after that), took her then to that greasy diner by the cab comapny( she loved that for some reason)  so I nailed her again after that,  then took her somewhere else( i forget) and nailed her again after that.

I think buying new clothes helps a lot with her., also the first date i jacked a limo for her, not sure if that helped, I figured it couldnt hurt.
T

LOL awesome
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »

I think buying new clothes helps a lot with her., also the first date i jacked a limo for her, not sure if that helped, I figured it couldnt hurt.

Depends on the clothes.  I took her out on a date after finally turning Niko into a classy assassin with a fine tailored suit and wingtips, and she immediately voiced complaints about each piece of the ensemble.  I'm dumping her as soon as some new girlfriend choices open up.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2008, 03:05:30 PM »

You will be able to go back out with Michelle, just give her a buzz after you complete the mission where you save Romam's butt.
Fostering relationships is important so you can't let people "hang" for too long. Basically you have to "weave" or keep cycling through your friends and the main storyline to keep all the relationships going.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »

Depends on the clothes
 ah, i am a jeans boot type of guy, so I bought him new boots, jeans,  and jacket.  Each date I had something new on.     She may have some role to play in this game, not sure,  after Nailing her a bunch Nico is mumbling walking to the car that she is " a leetle strange, i vonder vats she up too?"  not sure if that means anything.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2008, 03:06:59 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 02, 2008, 03:01:10 PM

I think buying new clothes helps a lot with her., also the first date i jacked a limo for her, not sure if that helped, I figured it couldn't hurt.

Depends on the clothes.  I took her out on a date after finally turning Niko into a classy assassin with a fine tailored suit and wingtips, and she immediately voiced complaints about each piece of the ensemble.  I'm dumping her as soon as some new girlfriend choices open up.

Yep, she likes darts, bowling, pool. All women will have cars, clothes and places they really like and really hate, and they will react accordingly.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2008, 03:07:32 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on May 02, 2008, 02:41:28 PM

Quote from: Destructor on May 02, 2008, 02:39:15 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on May 02, 2008, 05:51:31 AM

For those that might be wondering, it is in fact, possible to save a helicopter on your reserved parking space.

Where exactly is said reserved parking space?

right outside your apartment, there is a yellow outline and the text, resident parking only or something like that. Room for two normal vehicles or a helicopter apparently.

of course good luck parking that helicopter there if you haven't been playing alot of MP  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2008, 03:53:46 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 02, 2008, 02:40:20 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 02, 2008, 02:32:26 PM

Quote from: Chaz on May 02, 2008, 02:30:17 PM

Is there a place where you can see some kind of rating for how much someone likes you?  So far I've taken her to bowl and play pool and darts, and she's made comment about liking those.

I heard a commercial on the radio for the Ricky Gervais show that night, but I don't know which club it was at, and I'd be surprised if the commercials actually correlated to the available show for that night.

In the stats there's two meters for each person.  How much mission progression and how much they like you.

I think the Michelle one is under the "Player" category in the stats, not with the others like Vlad and Roman.

The stats, in general, aren't well organized, IMO.  I'm constantly forgetting where the girlfriend and pigeon progressions are.

One thing on dating, the ladies like you to mix it up.  For example, Michelle loves Burger Shot, but if you take her too many times to the same one, her love of that place goes down, I think, 5%.  And her love of all other Burger Shots goes down 1%.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2008, 04:06:19 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 02, 2008, 03:53:46 PM

Quote from: Roscoe on May 02, 2008, 02:40:20 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 02, 2008, 02:32:26 PM

Quote from: Chaz on May 02, 2008, 02:30:17 PM

Is there a place where you can see some kind of rating for how much someone likes you?  So far I've taken her to bowl and play pool and darts, and she's made comment about liking those.

I heard a commercial on the radio for the Ricky Gervais show that night, but I don't know which club it was at, and I'd be surprised if the commercials actually correlated to the available show for that night.

In the stats there's two meters for each person.  How much mission progression and how much they like you.

I think the Michelle one is under the "Player" category in the stats, not with the others like Vlad and Roman.

The stats, in general, aren't well organized, IMO.  I'm constantly forgetting where the girlfriend and pigeon progressions are.

One thing on dating, the ladies like you to mix it up.  For example, Michelle loves Burger Shot, but if you take her too many times to the same one, her love of that place goes down, I think, 5%.  And her love of all other Burger Shots goes down 1%.

plus they seem to be off.  I have a 'longest freefall' of 54 feet, yet I haven't fallen anywhere unless they're mixing MP in with the stats.  I also have one death, yet I've never died and then saved the game (I died once running into a gas station at full speed and turned off the 360 as I was really annoyed with the chase).  If it kept track of everything even if you didn't save my missions failed stat would be higher.

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »

I think I'm blind.  I haven't seen (or at least noticed) a pigeon yet.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2008, 04:09:51 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on May 02, 2008, 04:08:59 PM

I only saw one at night because it was glowing red and I thought it was a secret weapon
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2008, 04:12:52 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 02, 2008, 04:09:51 PM

I only saw one at night because it was glowing red and I thought it was a secret weapon

same... but I haven't been looking for them... actually I haven't picked up a hidden anything in the game in 10 or so hours of play, I left the pigeon alone because I need to keep track fo the ones I kill when I go for 100%. I guess my eyes aren't very good.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »

Can you call a cab or do you have to try your luck and whistle one down?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2008, 04:19:31 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 02, 2008, 04:17:50 PM

You'll gain the ability to call them as part of the story.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2008, 04:19:54 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 02, 2008, 04:19:31 PM

Thanks!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2008, 04:27:57 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on May 02, 2008, 04:12:52 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 02, 2008, 04:09:51 PM

same... but I haven't been looking for them... actually I haven't picked up a hidden anything in the game in 10 or so hours of play, I left the pigeon alone because I need to keep track fo the ones I kill when I go for 100%. I guess my eyes aren't very good.

Pigeons are the only hidden things, unless you're talking about health, armor or weapons.  There are no packages.

Honestly, even though the pigeons coo when you get close, there is no way anyone would find them without a guide.  They're way too small and hard to see, even with the glow, and some of them are tucked away in bizarre nooks.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »

provided they stop like they're supposed to....

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2008, 04:36:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2008, 04:30:24 PM

Heh, after questioning you guys about it yesterday first thing I do last night when I load my game is call for a car and then just watch as he drove right by me....
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2008, 04:41:15 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 02, 2008, 04:27:57 PM

Pigeons are the only hidden things, unless you're talking about health, armor or weapons.  There are no packages.

Yah, the weapons and armor are what I was referring to.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2008, 05:25:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 02, 2008, 04:36:47 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2008, 04:30:24 PM

Heh, after questioning you guys about it yesterday first thing I do last night when I load my game is call for a car and then just watch as he drove right by me....

Last time that happened to me, Niko said, "How do you not see me standing right here?"

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »

the pigeons do tend to hang out in pigeony places though, so expect to see them hanging out on roofs, poles, quiet alcoves behind buildings, and under the occasional bridge.

i agree that it would be impossible to find them without the guide though.  i had one in bohan that was hard to find.  it was daytime, i knew where the guide said it would be and i could hear the damn thing.  they are just so damn small and that red glow can be easy to miss. 

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2008, 03:26:42 PM »

I haven't played it enough to truly get into the stats as last week was devoted to getting through as much of the single player as I could. Which is to say I haven't made it very far at all and was out of town all weekend so I haven't played this since Thursday. That being said, when I get back into it I'd like to know two things:

1) What is the deal with the pigeons? Do these replace the collectible packages from previous games? If so, what do you have to do when you find one and what are you looking for?

2) Where EXACTLY is the helicopter? I drove onto the airport runway once and wound up on the receiving end of a four star beatdown. Knowing EXACTLY where I'm going might prove to be useful.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2008, 03:29:12 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 06, 2008, 03:26:42 PM

2) Where EXACTLY is the helicopter? I drove onto the airport runway once and wound up on the receiving end of a four star beatdown. Knowing EXACTLY where I'm going might prove to be useful.

I never did find one on the first island, but when you unlock the middle one there are some non-combat ones on the southeaster tip.  Look on the fold out map that came with the game for Helitours.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2008, 03:31:43 PM »

Pigeons are the replacement for packages.  You need to shoot them.  They're radioactive so they glow in the dark.  Auditory clues are usually the first sign that a pigeon is in the area- you can hear them pretty easily.

As an example, when you leave the safehouse turn right and run to the little gazebo above the beach.  You should hear one when you get there.

AFAIK, there is no reward unless you get all 200 of them. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2008, 03:36:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2008, 03:38:09 AM

Tip # 1:  Don't Die.

Wrong. Die. If you're arrested you lose your weapons. An uzi runs what, 500bux? Hospital bills are based on % of what you have on you; initially it's cheaper to do that.

Steal cars when no cops are around. If you get a wanted level, get away from the cops and out of the red radius on the minimap. When you do this just keep a low profile and the warrant goes away. Running into cop cars, fighting, discharging weapons, running toll booths and running over people with vehicles will trigger police action.

It's easier to carjack than to steal a parked car. To get someone to get out of their car, face it and hold LT and hit the X (to kick their car). They generally get out to fight you. If you can knock them out you can also get some money out of the deal. The "Y" method gets you the car faster; I suggest pinning it though as some people will try to pull you back out.

Build up trust with Roman; you'll get free cab rides.

When you first start the game, there is a walking bridge that crosses underneath and past the police barricade. I had molotov cocktails (from near the bowling alley) and used them to kill cops at the bottom of the staircase on the other side of the walking bridge. (you'll get a 6 star warrant for crossing the bridge that way, and get federal agents out). Once you've killed a few you go and collect the M16's. biggrin
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 03:39:08 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 06, 2008, 03:36:27 PM

Build up trust with Roman; you'll get free cab rides.

Build up trust with everyone- almost all of them have useful unique abilities that they offer you. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2008, 03:39:29 PM »

Michelle hasn't been that useful other than intercourse.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2008, 03:39:53 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 06, 2008, 03:38:55 PM

Build up trust with everyone- almost all of them have useful unique abilities that they offer you. 

Michelle, so far, has the ability to moan about telling more interesting stuff.  biggrin

Quote from: Purge on May 06, 2008, 03:39:29 PM

Michelle hasn't been that useful other than intercourse.

Argh, you beat me to it!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2008, 03:40:38 PM »

Yeah, so far she's been the exception.  But all of the "man dates" I've had have proven very useful.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »

I had to laugh while "on a date" with Michelle.  For the first 3 or 4 get togethers, Niko wore the same ratty clothes and she complimented him each time on looking nice.  Finally, I unlocked an area that had a store that sold suits so I blew about 1000 bucks on a snazzy new outfit.  I showed up at her place for a date, she gets in the car, and immediately goes down the list of each new item of clothing I've just spent my hard earned cash on and just starts ridiculing me. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 06, 2008, 03:26:42 PM

I don't think helicopters appear until shortly after you unlock Manhattan.  When I first got to the island I went to the Helitours spot and it had no helis.  A few missions later they showed up for touring and grand thefting.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2008, 04:14:46 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 06, 2008, 03:49:34 PM

I had to laugh while "on a date" with Michelle.  For the first 3 or 4 get togethers, Niko wore the same ratty clothes and she complimented him each time on looking nice.  Finally, I unlocked an area that had a store that sold suits so I blew about 1000 bucks on a snazzy new outfit.  I showed up at her place for a date, she gets in the car, and immediately goes down the list of each new item of clothing I've just spent my hard earned cash on and just starts ridiculing me. 

haha. I had the same date last night. Thanks to the previous tips that michelle is indestructible I ended it by wrecking my car until it was flaming and diving out, letting it roll up against a guardrail blocking the passenger side door. *Michelle is out of commission*

I think I'm going to ignore her until she's a plot point again.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 06, 2008, 03:49:34 PM

Now this is interesting, but further discussion requires a spoiler tag. Don't look inside unless you have found out Michelle's "deep dark secret"*

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't get my new suit until after Michelle revealed herself to be a Fed, so I never heard these comments about wearing a suit. I haven't tried to date her since her "unveiling", I wonder if it's even possible?

*The existence of a deep, dark secret for Michelle isn't in itself a spoiler, is it? I mean, face it, would she even being going out with you unless she had one?

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2008, 04:17:25 PM »

What can you say, she's a girl who likes simple guys.

The simple glasses and brown shoes from the Russian clothing store are the two clothing items that she loves, and will actually mention missing them if you aren't wearing them on a date.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2008, 06:38:36 PM »

Do the online dating.  I've met a Liberal Lawyer that will now decrease my wanted levels  as she has pull with the DAs office and a Nurse that will give me health tips that give health boost

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2008, 06:44:22 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 06, 2008, 06:38:36 PM

Do the online dating.  I've met a Liberal Lawyer that will now decrease my wanted levels  as she has pull with the DAs office and a Nurse that will give me health tips that give health boost

So what do you have to do to get the girls to accept your date requests again?  Keep boinking Michelle?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2008, 06:47:59 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 06, 2008, 06:44:22 PM

So what do you have to do to get the girls to accept your date requests again?  Keep boinking Michelle?

Go through the regular storyline missions until you get a dating profile.

The mission comes from
Spoiler for Hiden:
Brucie
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 06, 2008, 03:36:27 PM

When you first start the game, there is a walking bridge that crosses underneath and past the police barricade. I had molotov cocktails (from near the bowling alley) and used them to kill cops at the bottom of the staircase on the other side of the walking bridge. (you'll get a 6 star warrant for crossing the bridge that way, and get federal agents out). Once you've killed a few you go and collect the M16's. biggrin

I never thought about that. Now to get some molotov cocktails and a new gun. You can buy ammo for the M16 once you've 'found' it from the first gun store, right?

And as far as online dating goes - there will be a 'plot point' that'll be obvious (from what I've read) that unlocks the ability to do that. Until then, your attempts will automatically fail.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2008, 06:57:21 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 06, 2008, 06:47:59 PM

Quote from: rickfc on May 06, 2008, 06:44:22 PM

Go through the regular storyline missions until you get a dating profile.

The mission comes from
Spoiler for Hiden:
Brucie

Quote from: Destructor on May 06, 2008, 06:48:24 PM

And as far as online dating goes - there will be a 'plot point' that'll be obvious (from what I've read) that unlocks the ability to do that. Until then, your attempts will automatically fail.

Thank you, kind sirs
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2008, 07:03:58 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on May 06, 2008, 04:15:38 PM

*The existence of a deep, dark secret for Michelle isn't in itself a spoiler, is it? I mean, face it, would she even being going out with you unless she had one?

I don't think so. It's pretty obvious something is up with her. I don't know her secret yet but I have my suspicions. the first time you meet her and she has all new stuff in a rundown apartment kinda tips off that something is up.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: