http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:07:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GTA4 Hints and Tips?  (Read 24425 times)
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2008, 02:04:21 AM »

Any chance of a hints and tips thread for GTA4? I've never played any GTAs before and this sucker is kind of difficult. I'm not very good at driving, and the stealing cars thing just leads me to get shot to death by cops. How about some help for a newbie?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 02:36:00 AM »

I'm wondering how the hell you score 180 on three darts. Do you have to bean your date with one? Yes I suck at math, but I also am wholly unfamiliar with darts in general.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 02:42:55 AM »

3 triple 20's dont have to be on a date.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 03:38:09 AM »

Tip # 1:  Don't Die.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 04:34:33 AM »

I'm just awful at this game. One of the first missions involve you having to evade police. I've replayed it 3 times and just can't do it. I can get out of range of the cops briefly, but they eventually catch up and bam, arrested or shot to death.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 06:12:26 AM »

Quote from: malichai11 on May 01, 2008, 04:34:33 AM

I'm just awful at this game. One of the first missions involve you having to evade police. I've replayed it 3 times and just can't do it. I can get out of range of the cops briefly, but they eventually catch up and bam, arrested or shot to death.

just drive out of the cricle, i never had a problem, but i've played almost all GTAs. Don't speed around corners. You'll lose more time crashing than slowly a bit. Hold down the brake trigger and A, it lets you do tighter turns. Don't hold too long or you'll spin too much. so with that you can quickly do a 180 as well. I was running people over left and right in MP using that.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 06:14:49 AM »

One tip: The cover button allows you to move from cover to cover, or slide into cover quickly.  Also, if you are holding down the left trigger for combat, you do a roll which can help avoid shots.  (The game doesn't tell you this for a while)

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 06:27:02 AM »

How to steal cars:

Get in front (or to the side - but the driver must be able to see you) and half-pull down the L trigger (so you aim your gun, but don't lock onto somebody nearby). Then move the cursor over the driver and keep it there for a second or two.

The result? Once the driver realizes you're pointing a gun at him, odds are he'll stop the car and run for the hills. Then you just take your time and climb in. The braver civvies will either duck in their seats, or they'll try to drive off.

Strangely enough, the cops do NOT see you pointing a gun at somebody as a criminal act. You'll set them off if they see you climb into the now abandoned car, and they'll most definitely come after you if you point a gun at them, but you can hold up civilians all day without incident.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 10:10:52 AM »

Thanks for the tips, they helped quite a bit, especially the driving bits. I'm now stealing vehicles with impunity.

I found this beautiful black ferrari-looking car and kept it parked in front of my home, but it eventually got stolen. Heh.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 11:44:14 AM »

Actually my tip is DO DIE, or at least die before being arrested.  For some reason they don't take your guns away when you die, only if you're arrested.  So you could actually build up some ammo by taking on the cops...steal a cop car get shotgun shells and of course in a big battle there are pistols everywhere...and you get to keep them.  Realistic? No! Handy? Yes!

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »

If you're having trouble speeding through the turns with the new driving model, I recommend starting of by slowing down far slower than you think you need to be going prior to the turn.  Don't even use the e-brake.  After a few successful fast turns, you'll naturally starting pushing the boundaries more and more until you can take them fast as can be without crashing.  Add in the e-brake once you get used to how the regular gas and brake work.

Also: The gas and brake are on analog triggers for a reason.  It's no longer a choice between flooring the gas pedal or slamming on the brakes.  Most of the time when you brake you don't want to have the brake trigger pressed all the way, and when you accelerate out of a turn you'll usually have better results if you ease it to full throttle rather than slamming it down all the way immediately. 
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 02:02:28 PM »

Well, I may have time to think of tips and tricks a bit later.  Here's an example of a bad idea however.

If you want a motorcycle, but you happen to be on foot and it's speeding away...

Don't take your anger out by punching out a police car's window.
After that, don't run into the docks.
After that, don't wait around the corner with a shotgun for the overweight cops to run blindly around (which they will, some did actually go for cover when I got 2 down).
After that, don't try to shoot the helicopter with said shotgun.

...normally I wouldn't have done that, and just tried to get away without any shooting, but the god damn motorcycle wouldn't stop.  Plus I was testing out the wanted level ratings.

Just a little hiccup.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 03:13:33 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on May 01, 2008, 02:02:28 PM

...normally I wouldn't have done that, and just tried to get away without any shooting, but the god damn motorcycle wouldn't stop.  Plus I was testing out the wanted level ratings.

A level 6 wanted rating is nasty.  I was out swimming in the river, and apparently I crossed some invisible line, because all of a sudden I shot straight to six stars and the po-po was everywhere.  I tried to hide but they got me.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2008, 03:13:33 PM

A level 6 wanted rating is nasty.  I was out swimming in the river, and apparently I crossed some invisible line, because all of a sudden I shot straight to six stars and the po-po was everywhere.  I tried to hide but they got me.

The most I've ever gotten was 5, and that was with me and a friend online going nuts with the choppers at the airport. It wasn't much 'harder' than 4 was.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 03:26:19 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 01, 2008, 03:19:20 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2008, 03:13:33 PM

The most I've ever gotten was 5, and that was with me and a friend online going nuts with the choppers at the airport. It wasn't much 'harder' than 4 was.

I skipped those and got the big money.  Apparently it's automatic if you try to go anywhere that hasn't been unlocked yet, and being in the middle of the river made it worse.

Because I can,
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 03:36:24 PM »

Really dumb question -- I'm just getting started, and just saved at the safehouse for the first time. Upon returning to the game, I'm not sure what to do now. I don't see any objectives. When I walk outside, i get the pop-help about eating hotdogs and how to run, and stuff like that. How do you see where to go next?  icon_redface
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 03:38:59 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 01, 2008, 03:36:24 PM

Really dumb question -- I'm just getting started, and just saved at the safehouse for the first time. Upon returning to the game, I'm not sure what to do now. I don't see any objectives. When I walk outside, i get the pop-help about eating hotdogs and how to run, and stuff like that. How do you see where to go next?  icon_redface

If you don't have a letter (probably R for Roman) on your minimap showing you where the next mission start point is, just go about your business and you'll probably receive a phone call soon enough.  If that doesn't do the trick, pause the game and scroll to "Brief" and you can review the last few messages to see if you missed some text on what to do next.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 03:39:36 PM »

Once you read through a few of the pop-ups you have a moment or two just to wander around, but inevitably your cell phone will ring and Roman will require your assistance.  The first few "missions" are more "get-to-know-the-game" tutorials than actual missions.  I've only reached a point when Roman calls for dinner, and it isn't until then that bars and other food destinations show up on the map.  I think you gradually "unlock" more places to go, more people to interact with, etc.  But in the beginning you're meant to wander around a bit and then you'll eventually get some sort of message on your phone or in a pop-up indicating what happens next.  Don't worry, there's at least some structure to the game so that you aren't lost in a ginormous sandbox.  Yes, there is a tremendous amount of sandbox gameplay, but they do a pretty good job of subtly keeping you on track as well.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 03:41:31 PM »

As Wonderpug says there are letters on the map indicating available missions.  In this specific case you need to go to Roman's cab stand.  You can steal a car if need be to get there but it isn't all that far so you can actually jog there too if you want. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 03:42:44 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 01, 2008, 03:39:36 PM

Once you read through a few of the pop-ups you have a moment or two just to wander around, but inevitably your cell phone will ring and Roman will require your assistance.

Just to clarify so that Jeff doesn't get confused- he doesn't have the cellphone yet.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 03:43:48 PM »

Where does the helicopter spawn in the city? I'd love to find one and go on a rampage since I haven't played multi yet. I'm waiting on the multi for the moment because I still haven't managed to sit down for several hours straight and learn the city. Last night was close, but the damn phone kept ringing and I kept having to pause and go do stuff around the house. What pissed me off even more was that my wife was working late last night and it was perfect timing to just play GTA. Not so much. mad

So if I can get the helicopter that would be lovely, kthxbye. icon_cool

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. Next question - how do you hail a cab, say if you wanted to take a taxi somewhere? seems I recall being able to do that in GTA3.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 01, 2008, 03:42:44 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on May 01, 2008, 03:39:36 PM

Once you read through a few of the pop-ups you have a moment or two just to wander around, but inevitably your cell phone will ring and Roman will require your assistance.

Just to clarify so that Jeff doesn't get confused- he doesn't have the cellphone yet.

ninja  Oops.  I forgot that you don't receive it until after a few of the errand missions. 

Yeah, what everyone else said.  Look for the icons on your map (bring up the legend to help determine what exactly each icon means).  Later you'll get phone calls with directions. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 03:52:22 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 01, 2008, 03:50:05 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. Next question - how do you hail a cab, say if you wanted to take a taxi somewhere? seems I recall being able to do that in GTA3.

When you see a cab nearby, hold down L1.  Nico should whistle and the cab will stop.  Now this next part is important- as you walk up to the cab, hold down triangle until Nico is in the car.  If you just tap it, then Nico will jack the cab instead. 
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 03:55:40 PM »

I think like the cell phone, that becomes available later.  Actually, I think the point at which hailing cabs becomes available is when you and Roman get piss drunk and have to find a way home.  I remember seeing a pop-up that suggested hailing a cab (most likely with directions on how to do so as well) as Roman and I were stumbling over ourselves, but our car was right there and I didn't think I had that much to drink.  I made it about 100 yards down the street, took out a fire hydrant and a light post, I was pulled over by the police, I decided to make a "run" for it ala the Cops TV show (meaning I stumbled into a fence), and was arrested shortly thereafter.  

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 03:56:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 01, 2008, 03:52:22 PM

When you see a cab nearby, hold down L1.  Nico should whistle and the cab will stop.  Now this next part is important- as you walk up to the cab, hold down triangle until Nico is in the car.  If you just tap it, then Nico will jack the cab instead. 

Hold down "Y" if you're like the rest of the world.   icon_twisted

( icon_wink)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 03:58:01 PM »

Also, Jeff, as a general recommendation I would say to stick to the critical path for a time.  The initial missions are all basically designed as tutorials for most of the basics of the game and, as such, provide the necessary context information as a part of them (for example, one of the missions triggers the information on how to hail a cab).  You can, of course, go off the beaten path at any time but the game won't give you any context hints if you do and the manual ABSOLUTELY SUCKS SHIT.  Seriously it's probably the most useless manual I've seen in years and the game desperately cries out for a decent one. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 01, 2008, 03:56:21 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 01, 2008, 03:52:22 PM

Hold down "Y" if you're like the rest of the world.   icon_twisted

( icon_wink)

Actually, I've got both versions icon_wink  But IIRC Jeff is playing the PS3 version. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 04:02:27 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 01, 2008, 03:55:40 PM

I think like the cell phone, that becomes available later.  Actually, I think the point at which hailing cabs becomes available is when you and Roman get piss drunk and have to find a way home.  I remember seeing a pop-up that suggested hailing a cab (most likely with directions on how to do so as well) as Roman and I were stumbling over ourselves, but our car was right there and I didn't think I had that much to drink.   

I know it's not tied to that because I haven't gotten drunk yet. I don't remember when it popped up - I think it was when I was trying to get to Roman's place after he called me once.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »

You'll should definitely get the taxi pop-up when
Spoiler for Hiden:
You do the "Bull in a China Shop" mission for Vlad
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 04:08:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 01, 2008, 03:58:47 PM

Actually, I've got both versions icon_wink  But IIRC Jeff is playing the PS3 version. 

Yep, PS3 version here.

I'll take your advice on sticking to the main line for now, so as not to miss the tutorial sections.

As for manuals .... there are manuals these days? Seriously, I usually don't even take them out of the case/box anymore, as most of them are nothing more than a "thanks for buying game x", a few basic controls, and an overview of what game modes are included, etc. Basically, stuff you can see by turning on the game. I've just accepted the fact that, if you want a manual, it's $13 extra nowadays, and even a lot of the Prima and Brady guides suck too. In fact, the GTA4 brady guide is already getting poor reviews at amazon.

The good news is, most fan sites and forums contain all the information you need to learn and play the games.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 01:01:32 PM

If you're having trouble speeding through the turns with the new driving model, I recommend starting of by slowing down far slower than you think you need to be going prior to the turn.  Don't even use the e-brake.  After a few successful fast turns, you'll naturally starting pushing the boundaries more and more until you can take them fast as can be without crashing.  Add in the e-brake once you get used to how the regular gas and brake work.

Also: The gas and brake are on analog triggers for a reason.  It's no longer a choice between flooring the gas pedal or slamming on the brakes.  Most of the time when you brake you don't want to have the brake trigger pressed all the way, and when you accelerate out of a turn you'll usually have better results if you ease it to full throttle rather than slamming it down all the way immediately. 

When you do use the e-brake, use a light tap.  Don't hold the A-Button down (or the smiley face button or whatever the PS3 uses).  That's what's caused all of my spin outs.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 05:19:46 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 01, 2008, 03:43:48 PM

So if I can get the helicopter that would be lovely, kthxbye. icon_cool

There are 3 choppers in the airport itself (East side of the map). Basically you'll need to go to the very 'back' of the airport (right against the water on the East side) and you'll not only find a place where a lone plane takes off every so often (and looks really goofy in doing so), but 3 choppers fully armed with all the machine gun ammo you'll ever want.

Unfortunately, it has no missiles (even though it sure looks like it). frown

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 05:48:23 PM »

I wonder if there are military choppers somewhere on the other islands.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 01, 2008, 04:06:41 PM

You'll should definitely get the taxi pop-up when
Spoiler for Hiden:
You do the "Bull in a China Shop" mission for Vlad

That's when I got the pop-up.  I also was reminded of it when I tried to drive drunk.  I drove anyway, and a cop spotted me, even though I was driving in a straight line.  I was trying to outrun him and accidentally crossed the area where I was supposed to drop Roman off, so the car stopped, Roman got out, and when I was in control again, the police chase thing was gone.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 06:30:20 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 01, 2008, 05:48:23 PM

When I was playing multiplayer last night, I never had a chance to look. Basically, we were on the West side of the map somewhere, and after having my partner 'borrow' a SWAT van, he just told me to plot a course for the airport in hope of getting airborne.

The resulting drive through miles of police roadblocks, and cop cars that thought they could stop us, was nothing but hella fun. Nothing like shooting tires out of cars trying to rear end you and watch them spin out of control and take somebody else out at the same time. biggrin

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 01, 2008, 05:48:23 PM

There are three at the airport, then there are three on the West side of the map on a dock landing pad.  I'm not at home so I can't give more specific directions..sorry

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2008, 07:36:44 PM »

My tip is to drive in first person perspective.   THe chase camera view always was dropping to low or getting to close to the car, I couldnt drive worth crap and it really was pissing me off.

First person perspective is awesome though.  Gives you a real sense of speed, and it makes driving really easy.   I just use first person, go fast as hell and use the hand brake to tap and slide into and through curves.

Try it, you may like it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2008, 07:37:54 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on May 01, 2008, 07:36:44 PM

My tip is to drive in first person perspective.   THe chase camera view always was dropping to low or getting to close to the car, I couldnt drive worth crap and it really was pissing me off.

First person perspective is awesome though.  Gives you a real sense of speed, and it makes driving really easy.   I just use first person, go fast as hell and use the hand brake to tap and slide into and through curves.

Try it, you may like it.

I need to try it more but I find that I lose a lot of situational awareness on the side which plays hell with getting through intersections without getting T-boned. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 07:41:54 PM »

Here's a tip: put a pinch of sage in your boots and all day long a spicy scent is your reward.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: