http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 04:07:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GTA: SA Impressions  (Read 23733 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2004, 01:11:59 PM »

PLayed if for like an hour last night.

I think its fantastic. It has that old magic, of just rampaging around town causing havoc ignoring the missions.

DO NOT BE TURNED OFF BY THE BICYCLE MISSION: They are just showing you all the new features, the few missions after that, you have to get a haircut and then get something to eat... so it is just training... DONT BE DISCOURAGED.

It was fun to see Samuel Jackson.

The climbing is HUGE that is one of those things, that makes sense it needed it. The swimming is a welcome addition.

The graphics are what I expected... its a huge game, be nice.

I have only ONE complaint at this point. The CURSING is actually WAY WAY OVER THE TOP... Nigga this F*ck that... its really feels UNECCESSARY, im no prude when it comes to cursing, but this feels FORCED.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2004, 01:48:11 PM »

I don't have the game, but just want to say that I find that IGN score very very, VERY suspect!! If ever I thought that money may have changed hands under the table, it is this one...

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2004, 01:53:11 PM »

Purge - We should hook up for some DOA!

9.9 means I have to like it!!  :wink:

-I'm riding my bike away from a car full of guys with guns
-Car + Guns kills Me + Bike
-Get fixed up in hospital
-CarJack a van to go back to my house
-Now I'm back on the bike (!?!?)

I'm going to try it again tonight. I REALLY want to like it.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2004, 02:05:40 PM »

Devil, I'm not saying that you have to like it, but I am saying that that first mission can't be that hard, because I pretty much suck at Console action games.

I am probably coming off as a jerk, but my advice is to just keep calm during that initial bike mission.  It can be painfull, but if you press X rapidly a number of times, your bike accelerates, and you can get away from them in the straightaways.  That was what I did.

Of course, my advice is worthless if you can't get your TV's contrast and brightness to show where you need to go...

Anyway, sorry if I am being a jerk.  I just realized a long time ago that getting all worked up never helped in an action game. It generally just made things worse.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2004, 02:13:56 PM »

THE IGN REVIEWER PUT OVER 60 HOURS INTO IT. YOU GUYS HAVE PLAYED FOR A FEW HOURS TOPS, IF ANY. so those of you that posted on the review being suspect, do not have enough info to judge the game yet. as i read in the reviews, the story and game gets better the deeper you get into it.

IN OTHER CITIES THERE ARE DIFFERENT STATIONS. RAP STATIONS ARE THE MAJORITY IN THE GHETTO (first city). the san fran and vegas cities will have more variety. hell, the desert areas and small towns have country stations.

seems like early gamer nitpicking last night and it will probably continue today too. please get further in before trashing the game.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2004, 02:18:23 PM »

Hey Devil, if you sour on the game then shoot me an e-mail and I'll be more than happy to trade with you. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2004, 02:24:17 PM »

Doom - No need to apologize. I'll get through the first mission. Maybe I'll re-calibrate one of my TV's saved settings for this game and see if that helps with the map.

WBS -No dice. LE and IGN say that this is the best game ever, so dammit, I'm going to have to get over it and learn to enjoy it!  :wink:

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2004, 02:24:28 PM »

After seeing a post noting gamestop's sale on the xbox GTA dual pack, I decided to stop and get it yesterday (I never played much of GTAIII and never finished Vice City).  At the local store there was a guy outside giving people numbers if they were there to pick up San Andreas, it was so crowded.   He asked me, "Are you here for Grand Theft Auto?" and I replied, "ummm...kind of?."  I ignored his attempts to give me a slip of paper with what most likely was the number 4,243 on it, and just went over to the xbox section and picked up my 19.99 value pack.  When I went to the counter the guy there actually thought I'd mistakenly picked up the wrong version and kept asking me if I'd pre-ordered.  When I stated I was going to wait for the PC or xbox version of the new game and just wanted to play the old ones, he and his cohorts just started laughing.

summary:  it's a freakin' madhouse at the game stores over this release!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2004, 02:52:46 PM »

Quote from: "weeskwee"
THE IGN REVIEWER PUT OVER 60 HOURS INTO IT. YOU GUYS HAVE PLAYED FOR A FEW HOURS TOPS, IF ANY. so those of you that posted on the review being suspect, do not have enough info to judge the game yet. as i read in the reviews, the story and game gets better the deeper you get into it.

IN OTHER CITIES THERE ARE DIFFERENT STATIONS. RAP STATIONS ARE THE MAJORITY IN THE GHETTO (first city). the san fran and vegas cities will have more variety. hell, the desert areas and small towns have country stations.

seems like early gamer nitpicking last night and it will probably continue today too. please get further in before trashing the game.

Um, who trashed the game?  Don't see any of that here.  Your IGN review point is right on though- I would hope that we are long past the payola review thing wrt to major publications and sites.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2004, 04:22:25 PM »

I came here to give my post 5 hour mark impressions, but Doomboy and HankRaptor beat me to it and said everything I could say.  smile

I guess I could add this: The map is massive! It feels like the first area is twice the size of Vice City all together. Probably not that big, but it feels like it.

LiveTAG: happydog
jztemple
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2004, 04:36:52 PM »

I picked it up a couple of hours ago... got to my EB when it opened, eight guys ahead of me, all (no exaggeration) at least twenty years younger than me, plus me in business casual and them in jeans and t-shirts.

Store opened, all eight rushed in, grabbed the GTASA display boxes and lined up at the counter. The clerk says only pre-orders are available... eight young dudes look down crest-fallen... me, I'm just waving my pre-order slip  biggrin

Nice lady clerk says "ok... if you keep it quiet, I'll sell you eight games that are on hold for pre-order since I'm expecting a shipment"... eight guys start smiling again... then she says "but the gentleman with the pre-order goes first"  :lol:

I got the game and the guide.

Impressions after an hour or so...

First, the graphics are fine, no PC quality but just as good as the GTA3 for the PS2 I got a couple of weeks ago. I did turn up the brightness in the game, that helped a bit. I've got three missions done and I'm in no hurry. The dialog is a bit rough with f**k this and f**k that, but so far it's hasn't seemed too forced.

I wish my TV wasn't so crappy, the spin map symbols are hard to read.

The little manual has some extremely small printing! Come on, Rockstar, some of us have failing eyesight!  :wink:

I have a single speaker TV, so I can only tell you that the sound is good as far as I can tell!

Los Santos is large! And after Vice City, all the hills and slopes really do make for a different feel.

There is some frame slowdown, but so far never enough to affect what you are doing. It usually only happens when you are moving and get a lot of new textures appearing.

So far I've got no bad feelings about the game and except for the spin map it's been easy to play.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2004, 05:01:48 PM »

Just got home with mine. Oddly, despite 200+ pre-orders at my EB, there was only 1 other customer in the store. I had prepaid mine entirely, but grabbed the (discounted) strategy guide as well. The thing is HUGE. 272 8.5x11 pages, and it has a huge poster map of the state of SA as well. It's one of the most impressive strat guides i've ever seen.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2004, 05:20:21 PM »

Quote from: "weeskwee"

Two things:
1) Please don't yell. Using lots of caps makes it less likely that we will listen to what you're saying.
2) I stand by my opinion that a 9.9 seems suspect. That kind of score should indicate that the game is virtually flawless and state of the art in every way (I am reminded of Gamespot's perfect 10's for Legend of Zelda and Soulcalibur) We are already hearing about graphical problems, brightness problems, difficulty reading the onscreen map, and other issues. Personally, I 'm going to wait and see what later reviews (and gamers' impressions) reveal. Perhaps they will reinforce IGN's score (in a way I hope they do), but my longtime experience as a gamer tells me to "Beware the Hype"  smile

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2004, 05:29:11 PM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"

Two things:
1) Please don't yell. Using lots of caps makes it less likely that we will listen to what you're saying.
2) I stand by my opinion that a 9.9 seems suspect. That kind of score should indicate that the game is virtually flawless and state of the art in every way (I am reminded of Gamespot's perfect 10's for Legend of Zelda and Soulcalibur) We are already hearing about graphical problems, brightness problems, difficulty reading the onscreen map, and other issues. Personally, I 'm going to wait and see what later reviews (and gamers' impressions) reveal. Perhaps they will reinforce IGN's score (in a way I hope they do), but my longtime experience as a gamer tells me to "Beware the Hype"  smile

Did you read the IGN review?  It addressed the graphical limitations on the first page.  I suspect it was docked that .1 point because of its graphical mediocrity.  IGN has inflated scores (to me), they always have.  How they chose to score it is their own business, and not biased towards any one system or game.
Gamespot has always been the better site for reviews (Both score and review content), but variety in game reviews, and review sites, is a good thing.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2004, 06:07:19 PM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"
I don't have the game, but just want to say that I find that IGN score very very, VERY suspect!! If ever I thought that money may have changed hands under the table, it is this one...

It's a major release reviewed by IGN.  What the hell did you expect?

Quote from: "Devil"
LE and IGN say that this is the best game ever, so dammit, I'm going to have to get over it and learn to enjoy it!  :wink:

I haven't even played it yet, I have no idea whether it's the best game ever or not.

I'm just a little suspect regarding your opinions when:

a.)  You can hardly see what you're playing due to TV problems.
b.)  You have yet to get past the first mission.
c.)  You use a tone suggesting you expected the game to suck.

I understand it's a major, insanely popular release and you get to add stamps to your jaded gamer card if you trash it, but jeez, at least try playing the game from an objective standpoint.  And get your damn TV fixed.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2004, 06:16:21 PM »

I've been playing a bit now. Graphics are passable, but to me, they don't suck or anything. I am having the problem with the radar (mini map) being too small, and too hard to see the dots. I have standard A/V cables (RCA) so I'm wondering if upgrading to s-video, or better yet component video wouldn't help. My TV has component in.

I'm already very interested in the story, seems gritty and hardcore, and gives a rather eye-opening look into what would be a Compton type neighborhood.

The strategy guide is simply awesome. Some may not like things being given away, but I don't mind. I don't have the patience to search for hours for things, or to wander aimlessly not knowing what to do next. The guide has already helped me move along, and save me from frustration.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2004, 06:16:31 PM »

I haven't even played it yet, I have no idea whether it's the best game ever or not.

I'm just a little suspect regarding your opinions when:

a.) You can hardly see what you're playing due to TV problems.
b.) You have yet to get past the first mission.
c.) You use a tone suggesting you expected the game to suck.

I understand it's a major, insanely popular release and you get to add stamps to your jaded gamer card if you trash it, but jeez, at least try playing the game from an objective standpoint. And get your damn TV fixed.

OK - Where do I start. Since this is taking a somewhat personal tone, I'll do my best to stick to the facts:

a) I am using a DLP projector at 80" that is PERFECTLY CALIBRATED for everything else (games, movies, TV, etc.). I'm sure Rockstar has a leg up on Lucas and all other methods but since you say it's my TV, then it must be.

b) Yep - which lends to my argument. If I'm having a bitch of a time with the first mission then my initial impressions would stand to be bad now, wouldn't they?

c)I went out and spent $75 on a game that I expected to suck? OK, next.
  (edit - Typo. It was $65. Game+Guide)

Here's the kicker:

That's lot of talk coming from a guy standing on the sidelines. I rest my case.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2004, 06:22:15 PM »

Guys, go ahead and ease up right now, please, before your comments get out of hand.  

Everyone should remember that: all opinions are valid

thanks
jztemple
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2004, 06:29:18 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
I've been playing a bit now. Graphics are passable, but to me, they don't suck or anything. I am having the problem with the radar (mini map) being too small, and too hard to see the dots. I have standard A/V cables (RCA) so I'm wondering if upgrading to s-video, or better yet component video wouldn't help. My TV has component in.

I'm already very interested in the story, seems gritty and hardcore, and gives a rather eye-opening look into what would be a Compton type neighborhood.

The strategy guide is simply awesome. Some may not like things being given away, but I don't mind. I don't have the patience to search for hours for things, or to wander aimlessly not knowing what to do next. The guide has already helped me move along, and save me from frustration.

Jeff, I agree with all your points. I'm going to try another TV and see if the spin map symbols are easier to read.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2004, 06:36:11 PM »

Where are you paying $75 for GTA:SA?

That's lot of talk coming from a guy standing on the sidelines. I rest my case.

You're not even past the first mission.  I rest my case.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2004, 06:42:34 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Where are you paying $75 for GTA:SA?

lol...methinks someone has larger issues than originally believed   :lol:

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2004, 06:44:01 PM »

I bought the guide ($50+$15=$65 $75 was a typo!) and have put in an infinite amount of time more than you have into the game.

Do the guys at Rockstar have pictures of you with a goat?

YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME!!!!

More to the point. Everyone in here that actually has the game has agreed with me. The graphics are dark and not very good and the first mission can be a bitch. You are acting like I've kidnapped your first born.

I'm dissapointed so far. Sorry.

Next time I plan on posting in here, I'll ask your opinion on a game you never played so I know what to say.  :roll:

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2004, 06:46:40 PM »

You're not even past the first mission.  I rest my case.

I'm glad to know both of your 'cases' are now rested.

No more sniping please. The point of these rules, I'd imagine, is to maintain civility and make the threads enjoyable for people to read.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2004, 06:47:11 PM »

i don't own the game and i'm on nobody's side on this topic, but i have to ask:  how you can have "infinite" time with a game that came out last night at the earliest ?

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2004, 06:48:21 PM »

Final warning before lockdown. Hope you guys will have more respect for the rest of us participating in this thread.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2004, 06:48:45 PM »

Sorry - Jeff.

Didn't think I was out of line posting my opinion. I however, DID get out of line after I was called out!  :wink:

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2004, 06:52:51 PM »

I wish my TV wasn't so crappy, the spin map symbols are hard to read.

Probably not your TV- I have a WEGA and I have a very hard time reading the map too.  I think its just an unfortunate byproduct of the game's size- due to the insanely large world the map doesn't have the level of granularity needed to make out all of the side streets when reduced to the hud size.  I even have a hard time with the map when it goes full screen- I often wish I could zoom in even more than the map lets you.  Looks like I'll have this monster of a fold out map laying out on the couch for a while.

Quote from: "Lord Ebonstone"
a.) You can hardly see what you're playing due to TV problems.

Probably not his TV- I've seen the brightness complain oft mentioned on other forums.  I do think it might be intentional to an extent with the major shadowing and the orange filter applied to give SA its distinctive look.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2004, 06:55:07 PM »

The time I have put into this game is immeasurable compared to LE's ZERO.

I give up. IGN rated it too low. It should have been a 10.

Best game ever.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2004, 06:56:25 PM »

Sorry - Jeff.

Didn't think I was out of line posting my opinion. I however, DID get out of line after I was called out!  :wink:

Jules: Nobody's gonna hurt anybody. We're gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what's Fonzie like? Come on Yolanda what's Fonzie like?

Yolanda : Cool?

Jules : What?

Yolanda : He's cool.

Jules : Correctamundo. And that's what we're gonna be. We're gonna be cool.

smile

Kevin, I agree about the orange filter. I think it's a type of smog/haze effect for the LA type environment. Really though, I was hoping that the orange haze goes away after the first segment.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2004, 07:05:56 PM »

This is the best game I have ever played on a console, bar none.

Are the graphics the best? No, but they are not horrible and the size of the game is simply astounding.

Gamespot gave it a 9.6, IGN a 9.9...I'd give it a 9.8.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2004, 07:09:15 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
This is the best game I have ever played on a console, bar none.

Are the graphics the best? No, but they are not horrible and the size of the game is simply astounding.

Gamespot gave it a 9.6, IGN a 9.9...I'd give it a 9.8.

I was just about to ask where you were! I envisioned you in a 20 hour GTA-SA marathon, shunning food and sleep for more game time :lol:
jztemple
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2004, 07:14:53 PM »

Just did my first taxi missions:
"You want me to get you there fast... and carefully?"   biggrin

A lot of fun, and hopefully with more of a variety of destinations than the previous two editions.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2004, 07:54:36 PM »

I'm surprised it took Hetz this long to jump into the discussion, but I guess he was too busy playing. Which goes to show that the game might have some merit after all.

Re: the graphics, I am not a graphics whore. If the game is stellar in terms of game play options, and sheer fun, then I'll play it and enjoy the heck out of it. Hell, just look at my review of Gungrave: Over Dose and that was a ton of fun but looked like ass. Go figure.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2004, 07:59:48 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
i don't own the game and i'm on nobody's side on this topic, but i have to ask:  how you can have "infinite" time with a game that came out last night at the earliest ?
Because Devil was taking the ratio of his playtime to my playtime.  According to Calculus, when you end up with a non-zero divided by zero when taking the limit of a function, it means the function has no limit and is hurtling toward (positive) infinity.

This is all a moot point considering I HAVE THE GAME NOW MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2004, 08:21:28 PM »

Yes, I got it today too...at Toys R Us.  So now $50 for me...more like $33 (with 2 other $33 games as well) but still well worth it.

The only bad thing is I can't play it until tomorrow night frown  But I do have Thursday off smile
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2004, 08:22:10 PM »

OK now, LE, be honest...The graphics are a bit dark now, aren't they?  smile

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2004, 08:31:46 PM »

Any word on the mini-map from others?  I'll be kinda bummed if it's unusable, as I consider it to be VERY important for getting around.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2004, 08:35:59 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
Because Devil was taking the ratio of his playtime to my playtime.  According to Calculus, when you end up with a non-zero divided by zero when taking the limit of a function, it means the function has no limit and is hurtling toward (positive) infinity.

This is all a moot point considering I HAVE THE GAME NOW MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

See... this is when devolving arguments get back on track towards absurdity. Carry on, fools. smile

And more impressions, forthwith!

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2004, 08:49:49 PM »

Quote from: "Covenant"
Any word on the mini-map from others?  I'll be kinda bummed if it's unusable, as I consider it to be VERY important for getting around.

I only played for 15 minutes, but from that brief time I wouldn't say that the mini-map is unusable. I didn't really have much of a problem with it (though having played both GTA III and GTA: VC might have helped).

As for the graphics, is there no way to turn off the orange haze? I remember that in VC there was a haziness that could be turned off.

From the bit I played, the game seems pretty cool. My only disappointment so far is that the game doesn't use DTS like VC.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2004, 08:54:59 PM »

Quote from: "Covenant"

Its not unusuable just not quite as useful as it could be.  I would expect to be going to the main map screen or the foldout map frequently at the beginning until you learn your way around.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: