http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 06:24:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GTA: SA Impressions  (Read 23681 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2004, 12:07:24 AM »

No impressions yet but I just got home with copy in hand.  Pretty big line too but nothing on what they expect for the Halo 2 midnight sale.
Andy22
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2004, 12:07:33 AM »

Here's two reviews while we wait:

IGN: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/559/559560p1.html 9.9

Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/gta4/review.html 9.6
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2004, 12:24:14 AM »

i'm not expecting any real impressions yet.  just oohs and ahhs.  do please throw us a bone if you can though.  

stuck at work for another 40 mins or so.  then an hour drive.  than waiting until they sell it.  then waiting until the guy i got buying my copy gets over to my house.  i should have a copy later tonight,  play it for 10 minutes and then have to go to sleep.  blech!

lucky bastiges.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2004, 12:41:51 AM »

I was going to pick it up tonight, but I got to the EB and it was just wall-to-wall people.  I mean literally, it looked like there wasn't any room to go into the store.  I figured it wasn't worth a good 45-60 minute wait to get this game, so I headed on home.  Might check again tomorrow.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2004, 12:53:11 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "juniordan"
I am hearing word of kids leaving school and going to the store and just waithing there till 7pm for game and picked up by parents.
Damn  EB  just became an after school day care program

I hope they enforce the "M" policy and don't sell it to them unless their mommy comes in and buys it.  Not because I don't want them playing it (they will find a way), but because I think it would be funny. :twisted:

The Gamestop by me DID enforce it and I believe at least one kid was turned away after waiting in line until 7PM.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2004, 12:56:20 AM »

Quote from: "Caine"
i'm not expecting any real impressions yet.  just oohs and ahhs.  do please throw us a bone if you can though.  

stuck at work for another 40 mins or so.  then an hour drive.  than waiting until they sell it.  then waiting until the guy i got buying my copy gets over to my house.  i should have a copy later tonight,  play it for 10 minutes and then have to go to sleep.  blech!

lucky bastiges.

No oohs and aahs from me yet.  I forgot how damn ugly a GTA game could be.  The gameplay more than makes up for it but it will take some time.  Voice acting is outstanding though.  Initial mission was kind of blah though.  

My biggest annoyance- it waits until the first save point to check space on your memory card.  Turns out I didn't have enough on any of my cards.  I had to exit the game and delete some stuff.  Now I have to replay the beginning portion.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2004, 01:01:18 AM »

Haven't reached the first save point and I think it sucks already.

Do the graphics have to be this bad? Is it a stylistic thing or a PS2 weakness. Dark and blocky just how games should be!  :roll:

Gonna try and play a bit more but I'm already annoyed.

Granted I've put in about 20 minutes but usually I LOVE games in that time and then learn to hate them. I hope this goes the other way.

I'm riding a bike WooooHooooo!!! :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
jztemple
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2004, 01:12:49 AM »

Sheesh, not a good start at all! Hope the next few impressions are more uplifting....

I couldn't find a good excuse to go pick up the game tonight, so I'll be there tomorrow, and perhaps I'll have avoided the big crowd.

Anyone else run into a big traffic jam?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2004, 01:26:47 AM »

Maybe its the foggy haze of nostalgia but GTA III and VC seemed much "smoother" to me.  The framerate doesn't seem to bog down constantly but there are a few hitches.  Loading times can be an annoyance too- the cutscenes are frequent (at least at the beginning) and each has its share of loading.  

I'm also reminded of the line from Airplaine- "Excuse me, I speak Jive" except here I don't.  I have to admit I'm having a hard time following the lingo.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2004, 01:27:25 AM »

Quote from: "jztemple"
Sheesh, not a good start at all! Hope the next few impressions are more uplifting....
It's the counter-culture backlash.  The crap floats to top before the cream, as it were.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2004, 01:28:16 AM »

After being gunned down RIDING A BIKE (!!!!!) about 4 more times I've decided to stop playing so I don't risk hating this game so much I never get back to it.

Does anyone else think it WAY too dark? Turned the brightness all the way up and still can't always see the blue mark on the map to follow my fellow biker.

IGN gave it a 9.9? There's a shock. Saw that coming from miles away. :wink:

8.5 in graphics? It's a 6 at best.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2004, 01:30:56 AM »

It's the counter-culture backlash.

No chance. I'm not in that crowd.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2004, 01:34:45 AM »

The series was never about the graphics.  It was never about the control (especially on foot).  It is about atmosphere and the freedom to do whatever you want.  Combine that with the production (voice talent, soundtrack) and you have a pretty nice product.  One that people, including myself, really enjoy playing.

I will probably get it for the PS2 since I have the others.  But I will probably wait for the PC version to really finish it.  I just look forward to doing just enough to drive around, see the sites, and listen to the radio.  At least mouse look makes the aiming more natural.

Where would this series be without the, "Look, I can beat up hookers and steal my blowjob money back!"  I guess we should be thankful the game world is so big now since the graphics engine didn't get much attention.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2004, 01:40:13 AM »

Well, I'm proud to say it looks like I was wrong given initial reviews.  My only problem is that the sites picked the worst reviewers to review the game (in my opinion).

It's sounding like some aren't liking this game a lot though here.  I think I'm going to stick to the renting angle.  I bought both GTA3 and GTA: Vice City on release day and I own them both on Xbox as well.  I may wait for the Xbox or PC version of this game before really getting in to the meat and potatoes...we shall see.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2004, 01:40:20 AM »

These impressions remind me of when my fiance put down Vice City because of "Guardian Angels".  

Given the amount of cool stuff in this game, I'm pretty sure this one mission is just one of those "in the heat of it" things that's a little tough... it'll pick up I'm sure.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2004, 01:41:24 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Does anyone else think it WAY too dark?
RACIST!!!

EDIT:  Forgot the  :wink:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2004, 01:43:26 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
It's sounding like some aren't liking this game a lot though here.
If by 'some' you mean 'the two who are posting instead of playing,' I guess you have a point...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2004, 01:45:09 AM »

Well, some is not most the last time I checked the dictionary slywink

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2004, 01:54:11 AM »

LE - Sorry if I come across like someone who isn't enjoying this game at the very early stages but... I'm not.

I'm here posting because I got so pissed of that I didn't want to play anymore.

This may be the greatest game ever made but I don't see where I have to like it.

I'm not being counter culture and I've yet to hear someone say that I'm wrong. The graphics are bad (not such a big deal), the controls are clunky and the first mission is stupid.

I WANT to like this game. Not sure I would have, pre-paid in full, bought the guide, and gone back to EB a second time today to pick it up if I hadn't wanted to like the game.

You guys know me better.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2004, 01:54:31 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
If by 'some' you mean 'the two who are posting instead of playing,' I guess you have a point...

And I didn't say I didn't like the game.  I'm just saying that, graphically, it sucks really, really bad.
Mike T
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2004, 02:00:07 AM »

I haven't seen the game yet (tomorrow).  But the graphics gripe is an old one regarding the GTA series, and to be honest, one I've never understood.  Of course, lots of people liked Unreal 2 because of how "great" it looked, and I thought it sucked bad because it was boring and rehashed gameplay.  So maybe it's just me.

Anyway, if GTA:SA is just like GTA III and GTA:VC, except with a different coat of paint, music, and a new story, I'll be more than ecstatic.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2004, 02:18:24 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

And I didn't say I didn't like the game.  I'm just saying that, graphically, it sucks really, really bad.
And I'm just saying the exit polling is a bit, uh, skewed at this point.  So far we've only heard two real impressions...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2004, 02:33:21 AM »

Oh man, this game is awesome. I'd still be playing but I have a paper due tomorrow and I might be up all night finishing it up (after I wasted two hours playng San Andreas). The game is awesome. It's better than I imagined it. And just like I guessed, MC EIHT is in the game and I couldn't be happier. Everyone who is even remotely interested in this game should just get it. It's awesome.

My smile still stays on.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2004, 02:50:02 AM »

I've never seen a game, regardless of how anticipated, or how huge a release, that didn't have at least a few people disappointed, or saying it's not their cup of tea or whatever. I think it's to be expected.

A lot of times, people buy games that really aren't suited to them because the hype. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it does happen.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2004, 02:51:20 AM »

Quote from: "O.DOGG"
Oh man, this game is awesome. I'd still be playing but I have a paper due tomorrow and I might be up all night finishing it up (after I wasted two hours playng San Andreas). The game is awesome. It's better than I imagined it. And just like I guessed, MC EIHT is in the game and I couldn't be happier. Everyone who is even remotely interested in this game should just get it. It's awesome.

Glad you like it, but ... um ... what exactly do you like about it?

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2004, 03:06:51 AM »

O.DOGG summed it up! That's what people are saying.  :wink:

I think Jeff may have nailed my situation.

But ganster biking?!?!? Where is my white basket on the front with a flower? Guys are shooting me, I can steal cars but yet, I'm trying to follow a guy on a bike who's indicated on a black map by a dark blue spot.

I'll get out of here now and let you guys bask in the glory of what is supposed to be the greatest game ever.

I hope I can come back after playing more.  :wink:

Mike T
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2004, 03:12:28 AM »

Did you try adjusting the settings on your television?
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2004, 03:41:35 AM »

I'm just saying that, graphically, it sucks really, really bad.

This is exactly why I'm waiting for the PC version.

PS2 owners:  Did you really expect this game to have great graphics with little or no loadtimes?  If you want better graphics (than Vice City), wait until the PC version comes out.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2004, 03:44:30 AM »

I noticed the brightness problem too and my TV is calibrated with Avia.  I'd hate to readjust my settings just for this game.  Its an annoyance but not unplayable and it may be intentional.

A few more hours logged and I'm really starting to get into it.  The beginning is very meh but things are improving as I start to get to know my homies and the surrounding area.  The cutscenes are the best part of the game so far.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2004, 03:49:38 AM »

Quote from: "Torfish"
I'm just saying that, graphically, it sucks really, really bad.

This is exactly why I'm waiting for the PC version.

PS2 owners:  Did you really expect this game to have great graphics with little or no loadtimes?  If you want better graphics (than Vice City), wait until the PC version comes out.

I prefer Vice City's graphics- it has a much cleaner look that I think is more fitting considering the limitations of the engine.  GTA III was the same way and I was never bothered by the visuals in either game.  

To try and recreate a more gritty look in San Andreas, Rockstar really upped the number of textures but unfortunately they are pretty limited in the texture budget, especially with all of the streaming.  It has the overall intended effect when you don't focus on the details which works great while driving.  However San Andreas seems to have a much higher emphasis with the on-foot portions and that's when the seams really start to show.  

Some areas look pretty good though.  I think CJ's hood in particular looks better than many of the other locations, likely because the player will spend so  much time there.

EDIT- No I didn't expect great graphics.  That isn't necessarily a limitation of the PS2 though.  I think the Jak and Daxter engine games look fantastic and they also feature extensive streaming and little to no loading.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2004, 04:52:18 AM »

I am having a blast with this so far. The missions at the start are kind of meh. But I am starting to get cool and fun missions now. I dont think the sound track is as awesome as VC's was, but its still pretty good. So far, so good. A little hint to people who may get lost, bring up your map screen and move over a place you want to go and hit the O key. This sets a waypoint. I found it out by accident, for those of us who dont read,hehe. It has been a life saver.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2004, 05:07:06 AM »

Quote from: "juniordan"
Damn  EB  just became an after school day care program

It always has been.

We just haven't started charging for it yet. Hope somebody at corporate HQ dreams up something like that as money hungry as they are up there ;-)

How does this work again?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2004, 05:08:09 AM »

First impression?  Wow I never thought I'd see an EB store with 50+ people in it, holy cow.
Random impressions:
Yeah, I thought it seemed dark at points during cutscenes.
Radio stations don't seem as fun as Vice City (I'm not big on rap), but I'm still exploring the dial.
Some of the first missions seem pretty tough for beginning missions.  My car blew up on a drive-by mission, and I'm not having the easiest time with a motorcycle mission.  They aren't impossible at all, they just seem tough for what still felt like it should be the "tutorial" phase.
The LA ghetto setting scares me, and I was amused that I didn't feel scared at all when I drove through Santa Monica.  The bad neighborhoods and gangs have a more vivid, uh, scariness, than the other GTAs.
The car physics feel better, I can whip the tail of the car around more for 180s, motorcycles are easier to control...feels much better.
The gym/food stuff seems fine so far, has some fun to it and doesn't feel like it will bog you down in the least.

All in all it feels good so far.  My biggest gripe is that the setting is too real.  Mafia stuff in the previous games still has a movielike surrealness to it, but the gang war stuff is too close to newspaper headlines.  I don't know how to explain it, but killing a crack dealer to stop him from selling to my neighbors almost made me feel guilty, whereas in the previous GTAs I'd just think, "Ha, this crazy game" when I load up a schoolbus full of people to turn into dogfood.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2004, 05:24:28 AM »

Cleric7:
Well, I can say everything but that wouldn't be much of an answer. I had some idea of what I was expecting, having played the first two (new) GTA games. They expanded upon everything in the previous games and they added so much new stuff, it's unbelievable. I don't mind the "bad" graphics which I think can be the only gripe that people might have with the game. I really like the amount of effort that went into making this game feel like it's alive. All the details from random pieces of conversation, the voice acting, the changes in CJ's physique, the improving stats. I really like all of that. And I've always wanted to play in that gang-baning 1990's LA setting. It seems like I've been waiting for this game without knowing it. I like everything so far in this game. That might change in the future after some more hours of play but I can't see how that would happen. The only thing better than San Andreas as it is now will be the PC version, which I'm also looking forward to.

My smile still stays on.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2004, 05:33:11 AM »

Should the guide be purchased along with the game?  I've never bought a GTA guide in the past, as the secret packages hunt never really interested me and I liked exploring on my own.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2004, 07:21:25 AM »

Okay, my EB actually got it early, and I showed up early and asked, and they handed me my copy without a line at all.  As soon as I saw the guide, I knew it had to be mine!  The thing is almost the size of a phonebook.

So I got one, and I am not sorry at all for those 12 more dollars headed towards EB corporate HQ.

I haven't seen any problems with the game being dark.  I had no problem seeing the blue marker, I had a slight problem with staying ahead of the enemy in a CAR SHOOTING AT ME while I pedaled madly though.  But, I still haven't died, and I just  prevented a drive-by in my home turf, so I seriously doubt it can be all that hard.  I am not much of a PS2 player.  Sly Cooper was too much for my uncoordinated mits, so those of you who are getting whooped, my suggestion is to take a deep breath, relax, and try again.

The graphics are just like all the other GTA games.  Except there is lots more stuff to see.  So, if you didn't complain about the others, there is no reason to complain about this one.  It isn't as if Sony has released some sort of Grapic card update for the PS2, so I don't see how they could make a game this detailed look better without putting lots of fog everywhere.

I seriously don't much like the radio stations.  Pretty much the first thing I have to do is switch the radio to the Classic Rock station as soon as I get in the car.  Haven't tried to listen to the talk stations yet, still too worried about getting lost on the streets to have time to listen.  But there is too much rap and hip-hop for me.  I knew there would be, but I figured there would be several stations without it.  So far I have only found one.  I may be able to get used to it though.  Who knows, I may eventually decide I like Rap music....

So, there you are.  My impression of GTA San Andreas.  So far, not much of one, but I haven't even scratched the surface, after playing for several hours.  I don't love the game as much as I did Vice City, but then the '80s were a wonderful time for me, growing up and learning, and the music and clothes and everything reminded me of my youth.  The '90s pretty much sucked for me, so there isn't that "glow" of nostalgia.

So far though, I give this game a solid 10 on all fronts.  I tend to be forgiving of average graphics if there is a lot of gameplay, and I am pretty sure there is, what with all the clothing and hairstyles and body types and gun skills and respect system and all the other stuff I haven't even seen yet that make it almost a roleplaying game where you determine how your CJ turns out.

And the guy played by Samuel L. Jackson is a wonderful first bad guy.  I can't wait to fill him with lead...  Now if I can just get the hang of these crazy LA streets with all their highways and overpasses...

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
jztemple
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2004, 09:36:43 AM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"
I seriously don't much like the radio stations.  Pretty much the first thing I have to do is switch the radio to the Classic Rock station as soon as I get in the car.  

Yup, I did the same in the two previous versions on the PC, switched to the "lite rock" station, then eventually put in my own MP3s. I'm going to try to listen to all the stations for at least one cycle of all their commercials, but eventually no doubt I'll be back to classic rock.

I assume you can switch off the radio if you wish?

Also, echoing -Lord Ebonstone-, is it worth getting the guide for other than the maps to the secret locations and such? I'm going to really try to make an effort to explore without using the guide, but I'm bad at remembering names of people and places, so that might be worthwhile.

I'm picking up my copy today when my local EB opens, hopefully the little rugrats will all be in school or flipping burgers  :wink:
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2004, 11:00:32 AM »

I got the guide just because it was so immense.  It does cover all the item locations, as well as telling you basic info about weight and working out and gaining skill levels.

I would say that if you can get it at the same time for some kinda discount, like I did, that you should.  If you are the kind of gamer that has to find every secret, you should get the guide. I know that I will want to get all the hidden "packages" just like in all the other GTA games.

It does give helpful tips for all the missions too, if you are having trouble.

I finally started losing missions, and the guide informed me that I could bring along extra gang members, if I had enough respect.  I wouldn't have known about that otherwise.

As for turning off the radio, yes, one of the stations is "off".  However, I am getting a little more accustomed to the Rap and Hip Hop, and it isn't as irritating as it was before...  Maybe they cherry-picked the best and least irritating Rap songs, I don't know.  Maybe I am just getting used to it.

After playing it for quite a while, I am getting further into it, and I am starting to really love it.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2004, 12:34:46 PM »

What I'm finding is that I'm enjoying the surrounding gameplay mechanics (working out, buying clothes, taking over other territories, etc) more than the core driving mechanic.  After playing the first two GTAs, Mafia, The Getaway, Jak 2, etc chasing down bad guys in my car is starting to get a little old.  My biggest concern with San Andreas is whether there will be mission variety to sustain 70+ hours of gameplay.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2004, 12:45:34 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
LE - Sorry if I come across like someone who isn't enjoying this game at the very early stages but... I'm not.

I'm here posting because I got so pissed of that I didn't want to play anymore.

This may be the greatest game ever made but I don't see where I have to like it.

I'm not being counter culture and I've yet to hear someone say that I'm wrong. The graphics are bad (not such a big deal), the controls are clunky and the first mission is stupid.

I WANT to like this game. Not sure I would have, pre-paid in full, bought the guide, and gone back to EB a second time today to pick it up if I hadn't wanted to like the game.

You guys know me better.

So LE is involved in the counter-counter-backlash culture (how DARE you question a product I love?) slywink

There is no reason for you to feel the need to justify your impressions. For me, the game isn't even on my "will rent" list until it's for PC or Xbox. I have access to a PS2, but since the last two games didn't impress me that much, I'd have to say that the Bards Tale or DOA get a higher anticipation rating from me.

IGN : 9.9? that's .1 from being PERFECT. A lot of posts here have had to put qualifiers on their "this is great" statement.

Since IGN doesn't generally award 9.7-10.0 (perfect) scores, I'd say they've rated it .2 to high. I dunno, it's just me. I *will* likely play about an hour or so, but I'm not running out to get me a PSTwo for this game.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: