http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:52:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GTA download episodes exclusive to 360!!  (Read 1572 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2007, 05:29:05 AM »

GTA episode downloads are exclusive to the 360

is this good or bad?....with the PS3 having BLU-RAY,will the equivalant of the downloads already be on their disc,while 360 players also pay for the downloads?......this could actually work in favour for PS3 players

http://kotaku.com/gaming/highway-robbery/gta-iv-episodic-content-confirmed-as-360+exclusive-269442.php

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 06:25:27 AM »

Hmm, I thought they had previously said that there would be exclusive content for both platforms. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 06:40:15 AM »

This is super old news.  Peter Moore went on record back when GTA IV was announced as a simultaneous launch and said that there was exclusive episodic content for the 360 version and that it would ship within months of the game, adding hours of story-related content to the game.  I guarantee that this stuff won't be shipping on the PS3 version.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 06:43:28 AM »

Yes, but I think the assumption at the time was that the 360 would have it's exclusive content and the PS3 will have some of it's own exclusive stuff, too. 

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 07:01:37 AM »

Nah, they wouldn't have trumpeted it so much if that were the case...  (And, of course, Sony would've pushed that meme for all they're worth.)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 07:42:15 AM »

yeah what Engine said,the 360 and PS3 were to get two different exclusive download episodes to each other

from 17/10/06

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68768
Microsoft could barely contain its glee at being able to confirm exclusive downloadable content for next year's Xbox 360 version of Grand Theft Auto IV - but PS3 fans need not fear, as it seems the Sony release is also firmly in line to receive its very own dazzling additions.

According to a source close to Rockstar North, the team is working on exclusive supplemental content for both systems, which will be made available for download via Microsoft and Sony's respective online services after the game's release next year.

In case you missed it, Microsoft revealed at X06 that Xbox 360 owners will get "exclusive access to two downloadable, epic episodes of GTA IV via Xbox Live, each with hours of entirely new gameplay and available only on Xbox 360 just months after the release of the title".

We're told to expect much the same deal on PS3, except unique to the platform. Interestingly, the downloadable content, our source maintains, will take the form of brand new areas which will link into the main GTAIV game world.

"Think of the world as a large island - the new downloadable areas will be like smaller islands linking into it," the source explained. (Which is a structural analogy, rather than a suggestion that the game is set on an island, we hasten to add.)

How many additional areas or episodes Rockstar is planning is anyone's guess at this juncture, but it seems the game is at least being structured to accommodate a number of expansive new content releases in the weeks and months after release, while also satisfying platform holder - and console owner - demand for exclusive material.

Though with 'exclusive' being a somewhat elastic term these days, especially where Grand Theft Auto is concerned, we wouldn't be remotely surprised if you end up playing 'exclusive' 360 episodes on your PS3, and vice versa. One thing's for sure - there's nothing more certain to piss off the fanboys than a level playing field.

No formal response from Rockstar at the time of writing. But, as ever, don't expect official word until they're good and ready.

Grand Theft Auto IV is scheduled to release on Xbox 360 and PS3 in the US on 16th October 2007, with Europe getting hold of it just three days later

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 07:50:52 AM »

Yeah, but this is one of those cases where an anonymous source turns out to be, well, wrong. slywink

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2006/0710-gta4exclusive.htm is the press release from last year about the content coming to the 360.  Note no similarly cheery Sony equivalent...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 08:54:30 AM »

i was just under the impression that PS3 was getting their own downloads all this time,and i guess so was Kotaku

but that is an xbox.com page.

ohwell,either way...new or old,i am still worried that the PS3 version will already be bigger due to the BLU-RAY,and the 360 will have to pay for the downloads<<<<<because they wont come free,i am thinking shivering isles at least in size and prolly same price(2400points)

maybe i will have a ps3 by then

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 09:00:34 AM »

I think this is probably a case of MS paying Rockstar to produce extra content for the 360 version.

Which, is actually a very good thing if you think about it.  Instead of paying to get a title exclusive, which is pretty difficult and costly these days, they pay to have more content exclusive to the system.  They've done similar things before, however, this sounds a bit bigger than previous efforts.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 07:38:38 PM »

I don't understand the concerns of the 360 version not having as much content as the PS3 version because of blu-ray, has Rockstar said they can't fit enough onto the 360 discs?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 07:49:42 PM »

Its been a constant theme to try and diss the 360. It can't have the content level of the PS3 because blah blah space etc...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 12:32:59 AM »

Er actually, it's also been a constant theme to diss the PS3 too. slywink

I think this is more a legitimate concern where owners of either console are worried about how one system is going to get a lesser version of the same game.  That's unfair, but that's business.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 12:48:54 AM »

I, of course, hope this kicks the 360's fortunes up another level.  Clearly for those people who are spurred into a next-gen console for a new GTA, the obvious choice is to buy the console that's both less expensive and has the exclusive content.  Seems as though the next level of "exclusivity" will be these subtle differentiations where developers are paid by either side to add console-specific features or content.  Not sure it made much of a difference for Spiderman 3, so this should be a better case study.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 02:07:06 AM »

Yep.  Unless a company funds the development of a game from the start through a publishing deal, or is a first part (or second party) developer, we're not likely to see full exclusives.

I don't want to turn this into another console fight, but I am quite curious as to how they'll utilize the bluray discs, if at all on the PS3.  I will eventually have all three consoles so choosing on which system to get a multiplatform is an issue, especially for games that might have multiplayer.

Er, then again I never really liked the GTA series so I might not buy it at all.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 02:57:30 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 17, 2007, 12:48:54 AM

I, of course, hope this kicks the 360's fortunes up another level. 

Yes, as if you need your stock options to do any better  Tongue

As for the Game, I've never been a huge fan of the GTA series. I like the game play style, but I think that Rockstar never really refined it last gen, and other games have come along done several things much better.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 02:59:24 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 02:47:40 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on June 17, 2007, 02:57:30 AM

It's not like I work for Google.  Have you looked at the MSFT stock chart in the last 7 years? crybaby
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 17, 2007, 02:47:40 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on June 17, 2007, 02:57:30 AM

It's not like I work for Google.  Have you looked at the MSFT stock chart in the last 7 years? crybaby

Word.  Talk about stagnant.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 03:03:44 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 17, 2007, 02:07:06 AM

I don't want to turn this into another console fight, but I am quite curious as to how they'll utilize the bluray discs, if at all on the PS3.

I'd say barely much at all.  It costs too much to have significant differences in multi-platform titles, so really the only games that will utilize the space of Blu-Ray are gonna be first party exclusives.

gellar
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »

apparently

Microsoft paid Take 2 $50 million for the downloads

$25 mil for the first one in march 08

if true expect the downloads to be quite pricey

http://www.thegtaplace.com/

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 04:13:24 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 17, 2007, 08:09:00 PM

apparently Microsoft paid Take 2 $50 million for the downloads

Why?  If MS subsidized the development costs, Rockstar can charge less and sell more copies.  It's not much of an exclusive if they're too expensive for anyone to buy.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 04:34:05 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 18, 2007, 04:13:24 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 17, 2007, 08:09:00 PM

apparently Microsoft paid Take 2 $50 million for the downloads

Why?  If MS subsidized the development costs, Rockstar can charge less and sell more copies.  It's not much of an exclusive if they're too expensive for anyone to buy.

I would bet that part of the agreement is that a certain percentage of the profit from the downloadable content goes to MS, who would like to set the price at a level where they are able to recoup some of that $50 million. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 07:37:42 PM »

I'll make my decision on which platform to get it for on the basis of visuals/framerate.  I've yet to beat a GTA game so I have almost no interest in add'l content this time out. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 10:20:49 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 17, 2007, 02:07:06 AM

I don't want to turn this into another console fight, but I am quite curious as to how they'll utilize the bluray discs, if at all on the PS3.

here's one way: stranglehold collector's edition...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 11:13:27 PM »

Heh, called it.  MS did pay to have extra content developed.  It's a damn good idea since Rockstar isn't likely to make anything fully exclusive anymore.  I mean, look at the videos of the game and you can tell that cost a lot to develop.  Despite the high cost to MS ($50 million is the budget for an entire game last gen) they also win in that it'll get people using their live marketplace.

The stranglehold extras seem interesting too, definitely pushes me to get the PS3 version considering I haven't seen the original yet.

It'll be interesting if we had a topic of its own in the console section listing both full game exclusives, and also these little extra exclusive content, just to see how both systems are stacking up, and to gauge industry trends, seeing how each company goes about differentiating their game libraries in a time when full exclusives are too costly to make.

Probably should wait until E3 though, since that's when most games will be announced, and this year's lineup fleshed out.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 11:15:11 PM by Turtle » Logged
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 03:57:33 AM »

Not bad for Rockstar. $50 million probably covers the entire development costs for the game. All just for agreeing to make some content exclusive to the 360, which they will make more money off of.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 06:44:56 AM »

Actually, these days games are likely to cost a lot more than that, up to 75 mil, maybe hundreds? eek

I wonder how much Oblivion cost, that game is about the right scale and complexity.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 07:23:59 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 19, 2007, 06:44:56 AM

Actually, these days games are likely to cost a lot more than that, up to 75 mil, maybe hundreds? eek

I wonder how much Oblivion cost, that game is about the right scale and complexity.

No games have reached the hundreds of millions to produce yet have they? That would really be outrageous...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 19, 2007, 07:23:59 AM

No games have reached the hundreds of millions to produce yet have they? That would really be outrageous...

didnt Shenmue 2 cost 100mill?...and it didnt make back its money,and thats why SEGA have been edgey on making the third

well thats what i heard anyway

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 11:58:55 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 18, 2007, 11:13:27 PM

Heh, called it.  MS did pay to have extra content developed.  It's a damn good idea since Rockstar isn't likely to make anything fully exclusive anymore.  I mean, look at the videos of the game and you can tell that cost a lot to develop.  Despite the high cost to MS ($50 million is the budget for an entire game last gen) they also win in that it'll get people using their live marketplace.

The stranglehold extras seem interesting too, definitely pushes me to get the PS3 version considering I haven't seen the original yet.

It'll be interesting if we had a topic of its own in the console section listing both full game exclusives, and also these little extra exclusive content, just to see how both systems are stacking up, and to gauge industry trends, seeing how each company goes about differentiating their game libraries in a time when full exclusives are too costly to make.

Probably should wait until E3 though, since that's when most games will be announced, and this year's lineup fleshed out.

From what I am reading the money paid by MS is an upfront payment on the expected revenue that will be generated by the DLC.  The difference is Take 2 is getting the money up front, I am betting that if the DLC doesn't cover the 50 mil then Take 2 will have to pay back the difference to MS. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 01:08:18 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 19, 2007, 11:56:02 AM

Quote from: Ridah on June 19, 2007, 07:23:59 AM

didnt Shenmue 2 cost 100mill?...and it didnt make back its money,and thats why SEGA have been edgey on making the third

well thats what i heard anyway

According to Wikipedia, the first Shenmue is their record for most expensive videogame at an estimated $70 million.  Who knows how accurate or up to date that is, though, since a lot of development costs are not fully disclosed. 

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 03:15:09 PM »

I have news for you. ALot of publishers really have no idea what an in house game costs. I worked for Acclaim for 10 years, and they could never REALLY tell me what a game costs broken down by testing, development, marketing, manufacturing.. they guessed, which was WAYYYYYYYYY OFF.

I wonder if them shutting down the NY office will affect the release date, I understood all the testing took place in NYC.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: