http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:36:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Growlanser:Generations Impressions?  (Read 5042 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2004, 08:02:21 AM »

Growlanser 2 allows you to save at any time, even during battles.  I'm not sure why they removed that in G3.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2004, 10:50:08 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Growlanser 2 allows you to save at any time, even during battles.  I'm not sure why they removed that in G3.

Exactly my point. :lol:

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2004, 11:29:26 PM »

You know what game players really want in their games? They want to watch monsters run off the battlefield really fast with their treasure! YEAH that's it!  I am not sure WTF the Japanese gamemakers are thinking but sometimes I think they get tunnel vision and they are all caught up in making the game more "challenging". They forget that the bottom line is the game is supposed to be fun. Being challenging CAN be fun, but what usually happens is that it just makes the person reload the game. Making somebody do something over until they get lucky and succeed is not fun in any way, nor is it challenging in anyway. That is what they usually end up with, which is why there are way more disappointing games that aren't fun than there are truly fun ones by a long shot.

I think they also expect everybody to play the game exactly how they envision it and don't make any allowances for alternate styles. The stuff they steal is valueless stuff that has absolutely no impact on the game. I play the game using no offensive magic at all. I never use the combat techniques. They could have left those out and it wouldn't make any difference to me at all. I still like the game, but whenever they run off the battlefield with something I shake my head in disbelief again.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2004, 04:01:46 PM »

Put a couple of hours into Growlanser II last night and I’m cautiously optimistc so far. Battle system reminds me of the Infinity Engine games and I like how the game pauses automatically when a character needs to be given new orders, instead of having the AI just pick another target. The graphics, while dated, are nice and the voice acting isn’t great, but it doesn’t make me want to cover my ears, either.

The only thing that gives me pause is how easy the game has been so far. The game has been very generous with leveling up and I have yet to be in a battle where I’ve had to do much thinking about tactics. I’m only a couple of hours in so far, so I’m not too worried yet.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2004, 04:14:50 PM »

OK, now the required power levelling is getting old.  I had to power level for close to 2 hours to get past the last boss, and just came up against a new one that is 10 levels higher than anyone in my party.  I'm guessing I'll need another 2+ hours of levelling just to have a shot at him.  

Kind of a shame, really.  The first 12-15 hours had a very nice, steady difficult  curve with some challenging battles and scenarios, but nothing that my characters couldn't get past with a little preparation and good combat tactics.  Now I'm at a point where I have no choice but to hop on the levelling treadmill if I want to continue (I'm at about 18 hours, btw.  The boss at the bottom of the "Star Door" cave north of the capital city.).  The combat system is fun, but I'm not sure if it's that fun.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2004, 04:29:57 PM »

The only thing that gives me pause is how easy the game has been so far. The game has been very generous with leveling up and I have yet to be in a battle where I’ve had to do much thinking about tactics. I’m only a couple of hours in so far, so I’m not too worried yet.

I thought the same for a while too but then I got into a series of battles that kicked my butt.  

Having put in quite a few hours to both GII and III I'd have to say the voice acting in III is superior to II.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2004, 09:36:39 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

I thought the same for a while too but then I got into a series of battles that kicked my butt.  

Having put in quite a few hours to both GII and III I'd have to say the voice acting in III is superior to II.

I am up to about 45 hours. Characters are early 40's. I would say I fight over 90 percent of the battles as auto battles because they are too easy and because I am tired of powerleveling. Although, this in itself makes the powerleveling a bit more tolerable. But what usually makes the powerleveling worthwhile in most games is you are gaining abilities or new skills as you level. The skills in this game are worthless for the most part. I never even use any of them.  The only battles that are any kind of challenge are the ones in which you have to protect others, or time limits. I got wiped out because I fought that huge titan in Rhoderia, and right after I beat it and was wounded heavily I got blindsided from the rear by two more. This was BS, and after getting killed once I won the same battle after. The titans were 60 something, 70. You can fail to complete the mission and the story will still progress as long as you don't die. I don't even think there is any kind of penalty. Although I have re-played the few I have lost mainly because the goal wasn't clear and won them the second time.

Game advice, get one of the muscular growth gems for everybody as soon as possible. You must have them equipped for 2 levels before they start working and after that you get 2 and usually 3 bonus strength every level. When you get more than 4 characters, two will be sitting idle and they will continue to level with you, gaining the strength bonus for every level if you leave it equipped.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2004, 07:16:26 PM »

The battle system in these games reminds me so much of the Infinity Engine, even down to the horrible pathfinding. Holy Moher of God does it suck (at least in GII; haven't tried GIII). I've seen the game over screen twice now simply because I didn't notice two of my characters were blocking each other.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2004, 07:39:37 PM »

I've basically given up on GIII at this point.  I refuse to spend hours and hours powerlevelling on "auto-battle" just to advance the story.    Too many other good games out there.

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2004, 06:42:52 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I've basically given up on GIII at this point.  I refuse to spend hours and hours powerlevelling on "auto-battle" just to advance the story.    Too many other good games out there.

That is pretty much where I am at the moment. I bought the games though, so I will probably go back to it eventually.  Not gaming at all for awhile. I got a movie pass from blockbuster and I am going to watch every single anime they have in the next couple weeks.  :lol:

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2004, 04:21:48 PM »

Well the moderators are harrassing me again. Ron will either do the right thing or he won't. I have no fear that none but a very small minority might actually and truly think I have been some sort of problem on the boards and not a good contributor. So form your own opinion if I am suddenly missing. If I have to put up with being harrasssed by the moderators again, I will remove myself.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2004, 05:10:06 PM »

Huh?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2004, 07:35:50 PM »

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2004, 02:06:52 AM »

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I just finished Growlanser II and hoo boy did I experience a few controller-throwing moments during the course of the game. It did feel like something of an accomplishment to reach the closing credits, as this is defintely one of the more difficult games that I've played.

I have to give a big "meh" to the game itself. It felt like a disjointed series of scenarios without any cohesion to it. Maybe it would be better if the first Growlanser had been released and I had an idea of what was going on with some of the returning characters. This game feels like a light epilogue to a much bigger story (and it probably is).

I enjoyed the gameplay when I didn't hate it and I'm glad I played it. That said, I will not be starting Growlanser III anytime soon.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: