http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 05:54:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greg Hastings Paintball  (Read 1941 times)
Punisher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2004, 08:52:30 PM »

This game ships tommorrow and I was wondering if anyone else plans on getting it? I am getting it first day and hope to see some of you online.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 10:03:18 PM »

Are you Greg Hastings?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 12:39:55 AM »

Actually this is a new Paintball game using a hybrid Quake 3 engine thats been in development for the Xbox for quite awile. 20 courses, all based off real ones, popular on the professional scene, Xbox Live, and multile rule variations. Of course, its not Halo2, but its the first serious Painball game ever released that isnt budgetware crap.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 12:52:24 AM »

So you are Greg Hastings, then?   :wink:

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 12:53:12 AM »

No Im Pharaoh, a painball fan!

Are you Greg Hastings Ex-girlfriend? You want to find him again or something? smile
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 02:20:20 AM »

lol who is Greg Hastings?  The title of this game made me laugh.

olaf
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 03:09:12 AM »

Quote from: "Pharaoh"
No Im Pharaoh, a painball fan!

You know, in some cases painball COULD be used instead of paintball. slywink

and no, I'm not Greg Hastings. Too be honest, while I do play a lot of paintball. I still don't know who he is. smile I am into mostly rec/woodsball, but have started speedball this year.
My son is going nuts bugging me about the game so it will definately be a 1st day purchase for me.
So far every paintballer who has played it has nothing but good things to say about.
However, one "feature" I am VERY disappointed in is the cheat feature. The game has cheating/wiping built into and as apart of the game. This was a VERY bad thing to do and will definately show the sport in a bad light.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 04:47:33 AM »

I'd rather play real paintball.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 05:26:14 AM »

VIRAL MARKETING!!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 10:22:38 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I'd rather play real paintball.

So would I, however, Having "Paintball- The Home Game" is a welcome addition. I've been playing the Digital Paintball mod for HL for now and I love that as well (can't wait to see if they update it for Source...) Also, playing real paintball would get real expensive real fast..... As soon as I hit the lottery though... smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 11:04:21 AM »

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 02:52:39 PM »

Cool, I guess that means there will be some awesome music too!! slywink
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 06:01:06 PM »

Yeah, having a little home edition might be cool, but I really can't imagine it would be able to reproduce the experience I have with my friends. I mean, the personal interaction of setting up plays and strategies on the fly is what I love about the game, as well as the close calls and surprise attacks. Plus, I can't imagine that the game would have all of the positions that one has to contort themselves into in order to play the game, like crawling through the bushes in order to sneak up on someone or get a better look at the enemy.

I guess the only thing that would be nice is leaving the welts behind.

I'll give her a rent, see what's going on.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 02:46:55 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

I guess the only thing that would be nice is leaving the welts behind.

I'll give her a rent, see what's going on.

You can always have a friend/family member whip you with the extra controller everytime you get hit.... slywink
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 05:42:38 PM »

Well, we've actually been doing that for years, but not so much for the immersion as much as to get the one who's playing to give up the controller.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 08:27:28 PM »

Woah this is actually really fun...like really really fun.

I had high hopes, but not this high. Impressions later when Im done on Live. Its paintball and Halo put together!
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004, 07:01:32 AM »

Quote from: "Pharaoh"
Woah this is actually really fun...like really really fun.

I had high hopes, but not this high. Impressions later when Im done on Live. Its paintball and Halo put together!

well?
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2004, 06:36:22 PM »

Cheating put in? You mean like you can take the paint marks off of yourself? that is lame and definatly not cool with me. Im interested in this game. Maybe when I see some impressions.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2004, 05:31:52 PM »

OK, just finished the 1st set of tournement games.
I definately like this game and in general like it better then the Digital Paintball mod I have been playing. (The one thing the DP mod has going for it is that I can use the mouse. )
It definetly looks great and it doesn't look like they just tried to slam out a paintball game.
The different markers play differently by accuracy and by firing rate.
You have quite a few different moves to choose from:
SNAP: Otherwise known as peek, however in addition to snapping left and right you can also snap up and over a bunker.
DIVE: this is pretty cool, however it would have been nice if you could dive over bunkers (as well as having a jump button which is missing)
you can stand, kneel, and go prone and there is a turbo button for short sprints.

Throughout the game you can get additonal money and skill points. You get these bycoming in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in a torunement. (Not sure what you get for last place. I'lll have to try a new game and see what happens.
Money is obviously for buying stuff. You can buy various clothes items, new markers, pods, etc... While the clothes options are nice, I can't see anyone wasting money on clothes before maxing out the actual useable equipment. The clothes don't really do much except reducing your weight minimally.
The skill points are used to upgrade your skills, like speed, accuracy, marker skill, reload skill. I think there is one more but I'm not sure
Speed lets you move faster, reloads your turbo faster and give you extra turbo.
Accuracy improves your accuracy. duh.
marker skill imporves your shooting distance while in snap mode.
reload lets you reload faster.
The singleplayer game is a series of tournements in the various divisions like rookie, amatuer, etc.. at various fields around the world.
Throughout the game you will unlock additional players for your team with various skills.
The games are elimination, center flag (one flag in the middle that you take and bring to your opponents deadzone), and capture the flag (2 flags, 1 on each end to grab). There are 3, 5, and 7 man games as well.

Cheating: This is the one thing I was most unhappy about before buying the game. I still believe that it shouldn't be promoted as part of the game. The way it works is this: When you are hit anywhere except the goggles(goggle hits are automatic outs), an onscreen popup comes on. It is U shaped with an arrow that swings back and forth through the U. At the bottom is a dark green spot, on both sides of that are a lighter green, then yellow, then orange,then red. If you hit the A button when the arrow is in dark green, it is considered a bounce. (For those that don't play, you are considered out, only if the paintball breaks on you. Many times a ball will hit you and bounce off. Just like Superman!). This I can live with as bounces are not cheats. The light green, is a cheat. It is considered a wipe that the ref did not catch. The yellow just means your out, the orange is a 2 for 1 meaning you got caught trying to wipe and not only are you out, but so is one of your teammates. Red is a 3 for 1 which is same as orange, but 2 extra people are gone.
While I did not see an option to turn off cheating in SP mode, there is supposed to be an option to turn it off there.

I haven't played MP yet, but from what I read the game play is the same as SP, but everyone has full skills. The host can change the various game types and such. I hope to try it this weekend, but with everything that came out (HL2, Vampire, etc.) and my new PC being finished today, I'm not sure. Plus I may go play the real thing this weekend as well.

The game doesn't nesescarily bring anything new to the table as far as FPS's go, however it is a very fun game, especially for a paintballer. Is it better then the real thing? Hell no!! However, it IS good for getting in your paintball fix, plus the paint is a LOT cheaper. smile
For a non-paintballer it's hard for me to say. I still think it's a good game, but if you have no interest in paintball then you probably won't enjoy it, unless you are an FPS junkie.
All in all though a great game for me and I have no regrets on the purchase.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2004, 06:21:19 PM »

The cheat system is interesting in its own right, but it also makes me wonder about the real life professional players. I wonder how representative the feature is as far as real games go. I would have thought no one would wipe away paint, only because it's such a crucial honour system to everyone. "Real men don't wipe" and such.

Anayway, back to the game .... sounds like me and my buddies have to rent this one, if we can find it.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 03:54:41 PM »

Unfortunately, there is cheating in the real tournements which is one of the reasons it was included in the game. My problem with it in the game is that it almost legitimizes cheating. From my understanding, there are plenty of players who practice cheating. Cheating happens in every sport and I disagree with it completely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: