http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 04:31:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greed Corp  (Read 1879 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »

beat your enemies by destroying the environment.  it'll make for a more dynamic battlefield, that's for sure.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:01:50 PM »

I am tempted to purchase this.  Looks pretty cool smile

Sucks it isn't out till March though frown
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 08:09:56 PM by ROTC1983 » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »

a new 'instructional' video

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 07:08:55 AM »

Very cool! I'll keep my eye on this one. I'm guess it will be a nice budget title.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »

the console version got a 8.3 from IGN, the PC version is due in April.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 05:09:13 PM »

looks like the PC version is going to be more refined, with a new tutorial, improved campaign and other stuff.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 01:19:36 AM »

well this is out now, anyone taking the plunge?

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 02:18:40 AM »

I think I may get it at some point, but I would like to hear some impressions first.  It looks nifty.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 02:44:30 AM »

I picked it up on XBLA for $2 a few weeks ago.  It's not bad, I can't say I'm hooked, but I do play occasionally.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 02:51:35 PM »

Developer's link oficiale:
http://www.mistbound.com/index.php?id=2

Quote from: CeeKay on December 11, 2010, 01:19:36 AM

well this is out now, anyone taking the plunge?
I noticed it on Steam, and almost did get it last night. Like you, I'm waiting to hear more first hand stuff. I know it's been well reviewed, and gotten some Editor's Choice type awards, and it certainly looks like a fresh and relatively fast-paced take on hexagonal turn-based strategy
Publishers are afraid to use those words in marketing today, so I thought I'd be less than subtle about it. icon_razz Relatively fast-paced unlike, say, taking hours for one turn Roll Eyes in Pacific General in the day.

P.S. 99pt font is the limit here.  smirk
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:00:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 03:09:44 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 11, 2010, 02:51:35 PM

P.S. 99pt font is the limit here.  smirk

I think it was more when we beta'd the last forum update, but someone broke it  icon_wink

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 06:24:01 AM »

Well, natch, I was just about to buy this and the latest Killing Floor character pack, but my preferred credit card's site is down until 6 a.m. for maintenance.  Roll Eyes

I'll check it out in the morning.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 03:45:07 PM »

Been playing this morning. It's very Different. The animations are cool and fast, and the idea of your harvesters gradually destroying the environment layers around them make you have to think on the fly.

I'd share some screenshots but so far I don't seem to be able to take them with FRAPs like I normally, just not showing up.  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »

Do you think the game has legs, I'm gettiing sucked into a lot of these Indie steam games playing themfor half an hour then moving on frown

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 03:18:18 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 13, 2010, 07:57:54 AM

Do you think the game has legs, I'm getting sucked into a lot of these Indie steam games playing them for half an hour then moving on frown
I'll let you know as I go. I think so, in theory, because there are different races and each has its own campaign. Each race I guess is considered tougher to play, so they shorten the turn time limit from "no limit" to 2 minutes, 90 seconds, 60 seconds etc. I think that varies by class (in single player) rather than by a skill level choice.

I guess I was expecting more of a beer'n'pretzels Panzer General type of game, and the mechanics of this are very different in some ways. The whole idea that your resource gathering machines destroy the hexagons around them over just a few turns - so you've got to get your forces away from there or lose them too; or you can use the resource gathering stuff as self-destroying attacks on enemies in the vicinity - is very different from what I'm used to. It's refreshing, but throughout the tutorials I keep losing, or losing most of my forces, because I'm not used to thinking this way.

Also, that you have this artillery that can reach several spaces away but takes one turn to load.

I have a lot to learn.  icon_smile Also, you have to get used to spinning the mouse wheel to figure out how many "subunits" you're going to move to a particular space. It's easy to forget that.

Although attacking an adjacent hex doesn't seem to have any particular combat animations, most other things you do and some are quite fun to watch (and not laborious - they're completed in a couple seconds time at most).

I just hope I don't feel too lost after the tutorials. I got through the first campaign mission but I lost a lot of units. Hopefully I'll get better as the unique gameplay mechanics become more second nature.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »

Sucked me in smile Price is at a point where it sounds like the dev needs supporting smile So +1 for another with this game

Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 01:10:22 AM »

I've been enjoying it so far.  I played the tutorial and the first 6 missions yesterday.  (Then I reinstalled Steam, and this was one of two games that I lost all progress in - but that's another story.)

I like the finiteness of the levels.  It adds a tightness to the game.  The first mission I played, I won with only two hexes left in play.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 07:27:12 AM »

I'm currently working through the Tutorial, this is certainly very different from what I expected. That said good fun and could be a goer. Will know when I get into the campaign

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 14, 2010, 07:27:12 AM

I'm currently working through the Tutorial, this is certainly very different from what I expected. That said good fun and could be a goer. Will know when I get into the campaign
I echo your sentiments for sure.  icon_smile I like the idea that hexagonal, turn-based strategy doesn't have to be as predictable as what I'm used to -- it just takes a while to wrap one's brain around it.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 06:19:34 AM »

Played my first battle in campaign - love it! Could be a stayer. Out of interest if we do meet up in game times on steam. To do a steam game with friends you create an online battle and then use the steam interface (shift tab) and invite friends to play.

Some useful web links to see

Main Web Site
http://www.mistbound.com/index.php?id=2

Official Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDq-9t9VEeg&feature=related

Game Play Tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJKU22EGfxg&feature=related

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:24:54 AM by Tals » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 07:25:25 PM »

I gave this game a good look on XBLA, but IIRC that version didn't allow local PvsP. It seemed like such a good candidate for that style of play. I love TBS games and it did seem to have a nice, fresh take on that genre. I couldn't see paying $11 (800pts) for it at the time, but I might get it, or the Steam version, if it goes on sale.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 09:08:52 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 16, 2010, 07:25:25 PM

I gave this game a good look on XBLA, but IIRC that version didn't allow local PvsP. It seemed like such a good candidate for that style of play. I love TBS games and it did seem to have a nice, fresh take on that genre. I couldn't see paying $11 (800pts) for it at the time, but I might get it, or the Steam version, if it goes on sale.

I struggle on finding it hard not to justify a $10 price

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 16, 2010, 09:08:52 PM

I struggle on finding it hard not to justify a $10 price

Not sure I'm following you there Tals; are you saying you struggle with even paying $10 for it, or are you saying you struggle with those who feel $10 is too much? If it's the latter, I can say for me it seems pricey because some of its competition on XBLA offers more flexibility in play modes. When I considered Greed I was also interested in Risk Factions and Magic the Gathering Planeswalker. Both of those also offer turn-based play and both have local PvsP - MtG even offers a local co-op mode vs AI. I just prefer my competitive play for TB games to be local split-screen or samescreen, and I also recognize it's a bigger effort to build in such modes. Hence those who build it in get my $. slywink
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:33:45 PM by kronovan » Logged
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »

I thought 800pts was $10?  Isn't every 80pts $1?

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 10:32:38 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on December 16, 2010, 09:42:21 PM

I thought 800pts was $10?  Isn't every 80pts $1?

Nope, that's only true in the US. In Canada -where I live- you get less XBL points per $, so 800 pts is actually about $11.50 here. It has nothing to do with the US-Canada currency exchange rate, but is the result of Microsoft running separate operations for both countries. For some reason MS Canada thinks we should pay more.  icon_confused
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 09:41:41 AM »

It was the latter smile 10$ seems cheap compared to say 50$ for Civ - sure it's got more play modes but i've hardly touched that game since buying it so bad value in comparison.

Re compared with Magic the Gathering - I have that one, i'd go for Greed personally, but could be worth asking me in a months time. I'm notorious for loving the new games, if a game lasts more than a month for me then its a stayer smile

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 01:27:25 PM »

I'm used to the pricing stuff. I have friends who can't stomach $9.99 for each of the last couple Alien Breed games. I would gift it to them ('tis the season!), but I don't want to give it to someone who has no intention of trying it or at least playing some co-op with me.

So I can appreciate someone would blanche at $10 for this, $15 for that, $20 for those, $4.99 for something else. The funny thing with me is I've had a nice job for 4 years now and could buy games left and right like I used to (although back then, I probably should've been more selective with my money), but I don't have that CeeKay-like "buy everything in sight!" passion that I had up until a few years ago. Ironic, no?  icon_smile

I've had times when I dropped $50-$60 on games left and right without a second thought, while friends of mine might scrap to just afford to eat some fast food a couple times a week. I think sometimes my view of money is seriously screwed up. I'm not rich -- I just think maybe I haven't lived close enough to "the edge" to appreciate the cost of things, sometimes.

I've not really had time to play this week. I'll try to get some more time and screenshots in this weekend.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:30:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 01:36:52 PM »

Always shoot me a message if you see me online, I have another friend who plays as well so we could get a 3 person game going which could be fun slywink

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 07:55:42 AM »

Played some more MP with my friend and an AI - beginner AI almost owned us. But the game is a lot of fun. 4 player MP would be great IMHO

ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »

Both this and swords & soldiers are $2.50 each on steam today.  I'm grabbing both.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 04:09:53 AM »

I couldn't resist the $2.50 price and sprung for 2 copies of it during the Steam sale. I've only just touched the tutorial, but from the little I've seen I'm very glad to have bought it. Everything about it so far has impressed me much more than the 360 arcade tiral slywink
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:24:11 AM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: