http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:36:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great new Oblivion screens!  (Read 3938 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2005, 02:25:50 AM »

Check out the images section!

http://www.jeux-france.com/news11907_elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-scanne.html

Snow! Water! Yay! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Eno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 02:59:53 AM »

Awesome, but I was always under the impression that having scans of magazines on the itnernet were illegal...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 03:08:50 AM »

Well, that's jeux-france's problem, not mine. I'm just glad I got to see these PC Zone screens, since Bethesda is being so stingy with screens/movies...

So better go look at em quick before they are gone! smile

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 03:10:35 AM »

Oblivian and Gothic 3 having a screenshot war and we're the winners smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 03:16:51 AM »

That armor is.....*shudder* <drool>

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 03:16:56 AM »

Quote from: "Eno"
Awesome, but I was always under the impression that having scans of magazines on the itnernet were illegal...
Some sites frown upon them, but they are not "illegal".
Eno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 03:32:38 AM »

I think Gothic 3 looks worlds better (from my memory, I'm not comparing them right now), but I didnt like the gameplay of Gothic as much as Morrowind.  Oblivion is gonna kick ass!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 03:40:22 AM »

I saw both in action at E3, trust me...Oblivion knocks Gothics teeth out and then makes it pick em up off the street.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 04:07:26 AM »

The daedra(sp?) armor looks incredible in the last screenshot.  You get to join the dark brotherhood??  Wow.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 05:04:04 AM »

drool  drool  drool

Holy crap. That's all I have to say.

Other than this - when the heck is this game out?!?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 11:03:52 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
drool  drool  drool

Holy crap. That's all I have to say.

Other than this - when the heck is this game out?!?

November!

Only a few more months...  biggrin

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 01:21:20 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
And our poor computers are the bitter, bitter losers.

I really don't care about Oblivion's graphics if the game's going to run like ass well into next generation.  Oh, and there's that little issue of Bethesda's last Elder Scrolls game's gameplay being less interesting than watching paint dry...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 02:26:08 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

I really don't care about Oblivion's graphics if the game's going to run like ass well into next generation.  Oh, and there's that little issue of Bethesda's last Elder Scrolls game's gameplay being less interesting than watching paint dry...

Where are your Cheerios? I really have to go the bathroom.

slywink
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 02:33:50 PM »

What LE doesn't like Elder Scrolls??

I am SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!  :shock:  :shock:

Eno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 02:38:11 PM »

It was proabably too slow paced for you, go play Fable you non-TES lover  biggrin
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 03:46:26 PM »

To be fair, Bethesda seems to have realized Morrowind's gameplay was frickin' boring too, as they're making a big deal out of new combat systems, etc.  I just hope they actually apply to the player--most of what I've read has said there'll be combat styles for monsters, but I've seen nothing for players...

Quote from: "Hetz"

What LE doesn't like Elder Scrolls??

I am SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!  :shock:  :shock:

I never said I hated The Elder Scrolls.  I said I hated Morrowind.

Daggerfall was a cool game if you could get past the wide open randomness of it.  And the bugs, of course.

Arena was pretty fun too, though really everything it did, Daggerfall did better.

Morrowind was half-baked because it seemed like a transition game for Bethesda.  Bethesda was obviously interested in moving toward the more static, cinematic trend CRPGs have been experiencing since Baldur's Gate revived the genre--but at the same time, they wanted to keep up their reputation for huge game worlds.  Unfortunately, they chose the worst of points to merge the two at--the environment.  We got a huge, 100% static world.  I've seen doorstops with more personality than Morrowind's NPCs.  I've seen flipbooks with better animation than Morrowind's.  I've played LCD games running off a 5-Volt battery that have more depth and challenge than Morrowind's combat.

And Jesus, does every house need to have 200 plates, bottles, cups, and pieces of cutlery?  If they'd spent less time lining up npc_1022's bottle collection, or towel closet, or trying to decide if different races have different norms for where the fork goes in relation to the spoon and knife when setting a table, we might have gotten a game along with this virtual sightseeing program.

As cool as detail is, there are more important things that should come first.  For example, if your game predominantly features combat, MAKE COMBAT INTERESTING.  If you want to make the world seem like a living, breathing, real place, MAKE SOME OF IT INTERACTIVE BEYOND PICKING CRAP UP AND DROPPING IT.  If you're going to feature interaction with NPCs... ah to hell with it, you understand.

After all that shit is fun and interesting, regardless of whether it's 3d or 2d or text-based that it's fun in, then and only then do you start worrying about how good it looks, and how detailed it is.  Don't you dare ponder whether Joe Schmoe's shirt should have four buttons or five until Joe Schmoe is an interesting, unique, or informative character.  Don't tweak the bottle-to-plate ratio of Cindy Sue's house til the player can throw one of them across the room and see it shatter to pieces, or mix flour and water to make some dough and stick it in the oven to bake some bread.  Don't drop 500,000 Cliff Racers in a couple square miles of terrain unless combat is damn interesting, dynamic, and FUN first.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 08:32:44 PM »

Did you see that ghost?! Best ghost effect ever!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 10:04:06 PM »

"There are over 200 dungeons in Oblivion".  :shock:  biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 10:45:01 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"

Hopefully they're not counting bandit caves as dungeons for hype purposes.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 10:47:13 PM »

Yea, and those 200 are hand-done!  They aren't pre-generated!  This means realistic traps and such instead of something just cobbled together by the AI.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 11:01:20 PM »

Quote from: "Gwar21"

I'm sure they are, along with countless burial tombs and grottos, just like they did for Morrowind.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 11:03:38 PM »

Quote from: "Gwar21"

I'm sure they are, along with countless burial tombs and grottos, just like they did for Morrowind.

Yeah, but if they are all hand crafted and interesting I am fine with it. 200 is a big, big number.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 11:52:41 AM »

Here is a summary of new information from an Italian PC magazine that has a cover story on Oblivion this month...

CONTENT OF THE ARTICLE: Well, no big news for you Oblivion fans, anyway I'll sum up the main points. It's not the bible nor a science book anyway, and it could be interpreted in many different ways, so do not draw conclusions too quickly!

1. The game starts indeed in a prison, and you play for a while before choosing your character.

2. Most of the terrain of Cyrodil is woodlands and forests: however, there are swamps in the south, and snowy peaks on the north.

3. The gameworld is about 15% bigger than that of Morrowind: anyway, it's much more dense, and the whole continent is replete of dungeons, cities, and places to explore.

4. Possibility to ride a horse and fast-travel, but we all knew that.

5. Different types of explored places are marked on the map in different ways: there'll be different symbols for cities, dungeons, forts and so on, to help the player.

6. The interviewer looked at a map with all the places marked on it, and they appeared to be "well above" 100. Todd Howard then said that they'll be above 1.000, but not all of them will be marked. I hope he's not just counting every interior and exterior cell and saying it's a "location"

7. 200 dungeons, everyone noticeably different from the other apparently, as they use 6 different artists just to design them.

8. Player creation: apparently what will be modifiable is, apart from race and gender, hair length, hair color, nose shape, chin shape, cheekbones. But I think they were just mentioning a few things. As you very well know, age has its own slider too. And every face is not just realistic, but also very expressive, as it has different facial expressions according to his mood.

9. Cyrodiil should be around 3 times as big as Vivec, and it should be populated by more than 100 NPCs. The architecture of Cyrodiil looks neoclassical, even though not all towns have the same architecture: in the North, for instance, there was one which looked much more "Viking", with many buildings made of wood.

10. There'll be 21 skills. Again, you knew that. Among these, the reporter mentions "two handed weapons" (?), "making potions" (Alchemy), Armor skills and blocking. All values go from 0 to 100.

11. Apparently, there'll be 6 types of light armor and 6 types of heavy armor, and different "models" for each type. Plus the unique items.

12. Telekinesis is apparently very useful in the game, and makes full use of the Havok engine.

13. NPCs have their own schedules and motives (but you knew that). They will be able to steal. In theory, they would also have been able to steal from the PC, but they decided then not to let them do that as they could then have stealed items which are essential to the plot.

14. The Havoc engine rocks. "When some arrows hit a wooden object dangling from a rope, the weight of the arrows made the object "dangle" in a different position. Moreover, arrows don't stick in ANY surface; they do on some, but for instance they don't on stone or bricks.

15. There will be many traps, around 5 or 6 for every dungeon. Some of them will be very rudimental, and activated by wires or ropes: others are more complex (e.g. poisonous gases or blades appearing from a wall.) The PC will be given however a fair chance to discover them before activating them, by subtle things such as noticing blood on a stone or something like that.

16. There will be five "Counts" ruling Cyrodiil, and their roles will be sort of like the Great Houses of Morrowind but not quite (and the reporter then says "you'll only find out as you play".) The Dark Brotherhood will be thoroughly EVIL, as Todd Howard said he noticed that many players love to do evil quests. The Dark Brotherhood flag is, apparently, a woman holding in her arms the skeleton of a baby.

17. Sweet; in the Dark Brotherhood, the reporter heard 2 assassins debate on which was the best way to assassinate someone; hiding in the shadows and striking quickly, or openly, with a two handed sword?

18. Being a vampire will be possible.

19. Apparently, Bethesda Softworks are doing what they can to never tempt the player to reload a previous savegame: if you go to jail, you can always evade, or bribe a guard. Then you just leave the town you were arrested in, stay away from it for a while, and everything will be back to normal.

20. Buying houses is possible, and it will cost a lot of money.

21. The game should be released in november.

Wow, Cyrodiil (the capital city) is 3 times larger than Vivic? Holy crap! Vivic was freaking huge. Plus, it looks to be a much more interesting city than Vivic, so that is a plus.

Also, a November release date! smile

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2005, 12:48:56 PM »

The Dark Brotherhood flag is, apparently, a woman holding in her arms the skeleton of a baby

Suhhhhweeeet!  biggrin

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2005, 01:03:09 PM »

Oblivion may be the first game ever that I don't have difficulty being evil.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2005, 01:53:43 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Yeah, but if they are all hand crafted and interesting I am fine with it. 200 is a big, big number.
Oh, absolutely, if they're interesting, I don't care.

There were some interesting caves/tombs/bandit holes/whatever in Morrowind, but they were few and far between.  Anyone remember that burial tomb of the war hero or whatever?  It looked like another ho-hum boring tomb, but there was this locked door in it that you couldn't open without a key you bought off this drunk on some shanty on the east coast.  Anyway, if you had the key, the door opened to this long spiral staircase.  Following it to the end led you to a huge cavern with a maze or something in it, with all sorts of undead guardians around.  

If you got through the maze, you entered the 'real' burial chamber of the hero, which was a funeral barge in an underground lake with all sorts of treasure on the boat.  The coolest part was, if you cast float or levitate or whatever made you rise in altitude, and hovered to the top of the funeral barge's cavern, there was a small outcropping that had something disgustingly good, like an artifact mask/helm and a Daedric weapon, or something.

Anyway, that was a cool exploration point.  You could tell someone actually, you know, put effort into it, and didn't just let the algorithms build heros_tomb_0032 with a treasure rating of 8 instead of 3.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2005, 02:50:03 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
*a whole bunch of things that Hetz posted*

drool  drool  drool

November seems so far away now...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2005, 04:34:55 PM »

I hope I never see a city designed like Vivic again in my lifetime. I hate hate  HATE that city's layout. Very confusing and annoying and SLOW to get around in. My favorite cities from MW were Balmora and Fort Pelagiad.I also really liked Caldera's layout and feel.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2005, 04:43:22 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Yea, and those 200 are hand-done!  They aren't pre-generated!  This means realistic traps and such instead of something just cobbled together by the AI.

Weren't the dungeons in Morrowind hand-crafted?  I thought the Morrowind "dungeons" were pretty awful and one of the worst aspects of the game.

The environments in the screens are beautiful but I think the character graphics are mediocre.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 05:03:27 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Weren't the dungeons in Morrowind hand-crafted?  I thought the Morrowind "dungeons" were pretty awful and one of the worst aspects of the game.

The environments in the screens are beautiful but I think the character graphics are mediocre.
I think the majority of the throwaway dungeons were generated using a formula or something, then tweaked slightly by the dev team for playability.  However, I'm pretty sure I remember them calling that 'hand-crafted' at the time, so I remain skeptical about Oblivion's 'hand-crafted' dungeons.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2005, 06:01:36 PM »

I loved MW but even I got tired of going in those dungeons. There was only 2 types....the tomb like ones and the cave like ones. And 95% of them were useless cause nothing good was in there.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2005, 06:49:57 PM »

Our dungeons are much, much improved.  For instance, in Morrowind the burial tombs were basically all made by a single person over the course of two weeks or so, cutting and pasting from a couple template dungeons.  Now we've hired a team of dedicated level designers, who have come from other companies like Human Head, Legend, Terminal Reality, and others.  They've got skillz that pay the billz.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2005, 07:16:10 PM »

*sniffle*  I love you guys.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2005, 07:29:13 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Our dungeons are much, much improved.  For instance, in Morrowind the burial tombs were basically all made by a single person over the course of two weeks or so, cutting and pasting from a couple template dungeons.  Now we've hired a team of dedicated level designers, who have come from other companies like Human Head, Legend, Terminal Reality, and others.  They've got skillz that pay the billz.

Well they have to make up for you right?  :p
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2005, 08:17:48 PM »

drool  drool  drool

Okay, I really gotta stop drooling over this game. biggrin

Even after spending as much time as I did playing Morrowind, I can't wait to spend even more time on Oblivion. A huge congrats to your team over how good this game sounds and looks. May it be as good (and/or better) than Morrowind was.

unbreakable
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2005, 03:25:42 AM »

Im curious- how does this work?  Are they hired as consultants?
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005, 06:20:40 AM »

I imagine they build them with the toolset.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2005, 11:10:41 AM »

Oblivion is on the cover of the new Official Xbox Magazine! Here is a short writeup from someone that got the issue yesterday:

It talks about the opening of the game, encountering the emperor and escaping jail. Then discussed the different nature scenes and cities/villages decor. Talks about a quest called 'Brush With Death', a painter has gone missing... you investigate his place, and a painting sucks you into a dungeon. Then talks about guilds. All in all, it is very favorable. A section talks about buying armor for your horse on the Live Marketplace (no mention if it costs actual money or something else). Also mentions download content... holidays and special events. There is an overhead two page spread of a city, along with info on what happened to them in specific locations.

and some more info:

I borrowed it from a friend today. It has a picture of some dude in full steel (I think) on the first page of the article, much nicer than MW, looks like it just stepped out of the smithsonian. There was horse armor and holidays mentioned as 'just some of the things that will be downloadable' or something like that. THE ARGONIAN PICTURE IS IN THERE! very small and indistinct though. At the very end is a screenshot of....

wait for it...

the ENTIRETY of KVATCH!

well at least everything within the walls. That picture with the street that splits off is near the center of town. The temple (that cathedral burning in the trailer I'll bet.) would be to the left and up the hill. to the right is the imperial fort and prison, which is melded into the wall of the town like a real castle.

very. very. good. screenshot.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2005, 02:58:40 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Im curious- how does this work?  Are they hired as consultants?
I'm not sure what you mean.  We have level designers on the staff who are responsible for building the dungeons.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2005, 03:13:57 PM »

That level design staff sounds like it should ensure a huge improvement in dungeon design.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: