http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 06:16:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great new Dragon Warrior 8 Trailer  (Read 1886 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2004, 08:56:20 AM »

Worthplaying has posted what is likely the final trailer for Dragon Quest/Warrior 8 before its Japanese release later this month.  The game looks better every time I see it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 01:11:13 PM »

Bummer, none of their mirrors seem to be working.  I'll have to see if I can track it down somewhere else.

I'm cautiously optimisic about this one.  I've never been a big fan of the Dragon Warrior series and absolutely hated DW7.  I also have yet to play an Enix developed series that I liked.  But everything I've seen and read about this one looks very cool, so I'll probably give it a shot.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 01:59:53 PM »

Gratch, I believe FileRush has a bittorrent link- that's where I downloaded the trailer from.

I'm pretty excited about DQ8- something about the asthetic here just really connects with me.  At this stage I'm probably more excited for DQ8 than FF12 which is saying something.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 03:19:16 PM »

For the love of Pete....how long until this incredible looking game gets here?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 03:23:53 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
For the love of Pete....how long until this incredible looking game gets here?

Next year sometime most likely but Squenix has a pretty tough schedule to juggle.  They've got the guaranteed juggernaughts Kingdom Hearts 2 and FF12 to get out with enough of a separation they don't cannibalize each other's sales.  They are also hoping that Square's marketing muscle along with the overhauled look will give the Dragon Quest series the traction over here they've never had before.  For that to happen though, they need to make sure that DQ8 isn't competing with the other higher proflie Square titles.  

My guess- DQ8 in the spring, FF12 late summer, KH2 holidays.  That's provided there is sufficient localization time for both DQ8 and FF12.  Depending on the PS3 launch date I could see one title being delayed to 2006.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 04:29:16 PM »

*jaw drops*

Holy shit. This looks absolutely amazing.

Final Fantasy who? I want this game, and I want this game NOW.

Maybe it's just the nastalga in me (as I've played every DW that came out since the beginning), or maybe because I've been disappointed in all of the 'next gen' Final Fantasies (7, 8, 10, 10.5, 11), but this is a game I want to play, and play this instant.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 04:30:54 PM »

This game is going to to well. Did you check out the breast physics in tha trailer?

Now all they need to do is add caravan-jacking and it will be the biggest seller of 2005!
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 04:45:04 PM »

This is the only PS2 game I'm actually interested in. And boy am I interested!   Could have done without the distracting breast physics, though, let's leave that to DOA.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 06:15:18 PM »

Dragon warrior is the bomb!! Nothing compares, cant wait for this to come out.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 06:54:34 PM »

Finally got it to work, and that does look pretty cool.   Not "I gotta have it now" type cool, but certainly intriguing.  I'm not a big fan of cel-shading, so that will knock it down a notch for me.  Also, whoever did that theme music should be shot.  That was just horrible.

I'm still looking forward to FFXII much more (I loved the Ivalice world from FFTA), but it looks like DW8 will certainly be worth keeping an eye on.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 08:59:50 PM »

Whoa, trailer is da bomb!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 09:45:53 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I'm not a big fan of cel-shading, so that will knock it down a notch for me.  Also, whoever did that theme music should be shot.  That was just horrible.

Uh, what? That 'theme music' is the theme for Dragon Warrior itself, and has been for like two decades. It's as well known as the Piano Theme (or is it called the Crystal Theme, or something) from Final Fantasy.

Sure, it didn't sound anywhere near as good on the NES ( smile ), but it's still the same thing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 10:22:02 PM »

Wow, I thought I was the only one who can't wait for this game.  Level 5 did such an amazing job with Dark Cloud 2, I'm sure this will be even better.  Hopefully, they'll also reveal Dark Cloud 3 once DQ8 ships.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 12:08:03 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
I'm not a big fan of cel-shading, so that will knock it down a notch for me.  Also, whoever did that theme music should be shot.  That was just horrible.

Uh, what? That 'theme music' is the theme for Dragon Warrior itself, and has been for like two decades. It's as well known as the Piano Theme (or is it called the Crystal Theme, or something) from Final Fantasy.

Sure, it didn't sound anywhere near as good on the NES ( smile ), but it's still the same thing.

Well, I've never been a fan of the Dragon Warrior series.  In fact, I would list Dragon Warrior VII is one of my top 3 least favorite games of all time.  And honestly, I don't remember that song from either Dragon Warrior game I played.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 01:34:14 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
*jaw drops*

Holy shit. This looks absolutely amazing.

Final Fantasy who? I want this game, and I want this game NOW.

Maybe it's just the nastalga in me (as I've played every DW that came out since the beginning), or maybe because I've been disappointed in all of the 'next gen' Final Fantasies (7, 8, 10, 10.5, 11), but this is a game I want to play, and play this instant.

Exactly the same thoughts as me.  I even loved the first Dragon Warrior!  But with the FFs - my favorites are definately IV and VI.  The next gen ones just didn't have the personality, the spark, just the enjoyment for me as those SNES ones did.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2004, 03:42:04 AM »

Well, I've never been a fan of the Dragon Warrior series.  In fact, I would list Dragon Warrior VII is one of my top 3 least favorite games of all time.  And honestly, I don't remember that song from either Dragon Warrior game I played.

Okay, well, I'll have to admit - Dragon Warrior VII is the bastard child of the series.

As far as that theme music goes, it was in I, II, IV (I think), and an orchestrated version appeared in the SNES (Japan only) V and VI. So, yeah, it's been around a while.

And so have I... Ugh. smile

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2004, 02:45:07 PM »

Wow, what I wouldn't give to know Japanese and have a Japanese PS2 a month from now.  That's the best game trailer I've ever seen.

The bright side of NOT knowing Japanese or being able to get the game on release day is the ability to watch reviews.  I hope that this lives up to expectations.

For what it's worth, I've played about 20 hours of DW VII and have enjoyed it quite a bit.  In fact, I think I'll fire it up again today and save another bit of the world.  Final Fantasy doesn't do much for me; Dragon Warrior does.  If the game turns out well, I may have to break my "Never spend more than $25" rule and get it on release.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: