http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 02:55:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Madden Wii preview at IGN  (Read 2232 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2006, 02:07:22 AM »

Posted this here because the preview addressed a couple of issues a lot of folks have been wondering about. Mainly getting tired and how a game may look, ie; barely better than Gamecube etc.

Quote from: IGN
You don't need to flail your arms about like your drowning to perform these moves. A simple flick of the wrist will do in most cases.

check out the preview

http://wii.ign.com/articles/736/736278p1.html

Makes Madden seem a little more immersive, all this would need is full online support, Damn you Nintendo for waiting to launch your online!, because some of the multiplayer mini-games sound like a lot of fun.

This is from Matt cassamassina's blog at IGN

This is going to be a quick one because i'm out the door. Earlier today I arrived in San Francisco to play some Wii demos and also go to a co-worker's wedding. Just five minutes ago I wrapped up an hour or so hands-on demo with Madden NFL 07 for Wii. And I have to tell you, the game is fun. On top of that, it's not gimmicky.

EA has really invested a lot of time and resources into making the game play well. The controls don't feel as though they were designed for GameCube and made to fit with the Wii remote. They feel like they were built for the Wii from the ground up, which is pretty much the truth. Within 10 minutes or so, I was moving along pretty smoothly and having a great time with the game.

We grabbed a ton of crispy footage that we'll be posting up soon with any luck, so you'll be able to see everything for yourself. Until then, take my word that the title is solid and actually pretty good looking, too. Not Xbox 360, of course, but definitely well beyond GCN and better than Xbox.

I think a lot of football fans will love it. I wonder, though, if hardcore videogamers who have grown up with traditional Madden will be willing to give it a chance?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 02:11:01 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 02:34:31 AM »

I'm a pretty big football fan but I had borrowed Madden 06 for 360 months back, and it was far too complex for me. A football game with more intuitive controls though...one I could play with my son, would be something I'd giver serious thought to buying.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 04:25:03 AM »

I'm not sure lifting up on the remote is more intuitive then pressing "A" to snap the ball.  Or moving the remote in the direction of a wr is more intuative than just pressing the the button flashing above the recievers head.  Actually pressing the button to pass the ball isn't what makes football complex.  It's knowing when to throw and to whom.  The remote doesn't help with that.

In addition I don't see how this can work online.  A little lag is ok when you are pressing a button, but it's different then when you are trying to aim a pass with an arm motion.

I am very skeptical of this game.  I hope I am wrong, but I don't think it is going to work well at all.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 04:27:15 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 12:16:45 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 29, 2006, 04:25:03 AM

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think it is going to work well at all.

Well considering every hands on is reporting the opposite. That it does work well, why still so skeptical? Of course previews are fluff, but hands on usually tell you if anything is wrong.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 12:22:11 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 29, 2006, 04:25:03 AM

I'm not sure lifting up on the remote is more intuitive then pressing "A" to snap the ball.  Or moving the remote in the direction of a wr is more intuative than just pressing the the button flashing above the recievers head.  Actually pressing the button to pass the ball isn't what makes football complex.  It's knowing when to throw and to whom.  The remote doesn't help with that.

Imagine you've never played a video game in your life.  Now, I give you a 360 controller and tell you that you need to press A to snap the ball and then you have to press the button on the 360 controller matching the icon on the screen above that receiver.  Remember, you've never played a video game.  So, in order to do this, you have to look at the controller because you have no clue which button is where.  So, you hit A to snap, which is probably fairly easy once you realize it is the bottom button.  However, I imagine you are going to have to find your open receiver, see which button to press and then take your eyes off the screen to look down at the controller to figure out which button is which.  In that time, you will very likely be sacked.

Now, more over to the Wii.  I tell you that you have only one button to press.  You lift up and press that one button to snap (this is actually technically more complex since there is a motion involved, but snapping the football isn't exactly a pressure thing other than the play clock and you don't have to look at the controller to lift it up, so even though it added a step, it shouldn't be any more difficult).  Then in order to throw to a receiver you flick in the direction of the receiver and hit that one button.  You never had to take your eyes off the screen.  You never had to worry about which one of the 5 or 6 buttons you needed to press to throw the ball to your receiver.

Which one sounds more intuitive as a first time gamer?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 12:57:57 PM »

So, they are marketing their video game system to people who don't play video games?

It's a nice little thought, but I'm still not sure this is the best route to go.

It's like Toyota coming out with a new car aimed at people who don't have their license. Yeah, someone may be inspired enough to buy one, but I wouldn't imagine it would sell much.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 01:10:25 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 29, 2006, 12:57:57 PM

So, they are marketing their video game system to people who don't play video games?

It's a nice little thought, but I'm still not sure this is the best route to go.

It's like Toyota coming out with a new car aimed at people who don't have their license. Yeah, someone may be inspired enough to buy one, but I wouldn't imagine it would sell much.

It has been years and years since I've played a Madden game, and it will probably be years and years still until I ever do again. But this is an interesting development. It's good that the control scheme is coming together, but I'm still skeptical myself simply becuase I think the greatest obstacle to overcome is going to be the millions of people who are used to playing with a standard controller.

I just don't see the fan base for this title on the Wii.  But again, maybe their target is me: someone who hasn't spent a dime on Madden in...gosh...11 years who will be drawn by the innovation...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 01:24:16 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 29, 2006, 12:57:57 PM

Yes.  It's the same strategy they've used with the DS.  Nintendo is not trying to compete directly with Sony and MS over the current gaming population because they did that last round and lost.  So now they are trying to expand the market and bring in people who might be intimidated with current console setups. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 01:27:33 PM »

The more I read about Madden Wii, the more interested I get. I absolutely loathe football games for modern consoles because I find the controls completely convoluted. If the reviews for this on are good, I may pick it up at launch.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 01:38:23 PM »

It's the same strategy they've used with the DS.

We all know how well sports on the DS have turned out.

The article sounded great but there was no mention of defense.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 01:39:13 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 29, 2006, 01:38:23 PM

It's the same strategy they've used with the DS.

We all know how well sports on the DS have turned out.

The article sounded great but there was no mention of defense.

I'm not really talking about sports just their strategy in general. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 02:53:53 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 29, 2006, 12:16:45 PM

Well considering every hands on is reporting the opposite. That it does work well, why still so skeptical? Of course previews are fluff, but hands on usually tell you if anything is wrong.

The author of that article sounded far from objective.  Previews of any version of Madden alwyas sound great.  But you don't hear how the games really are until the public actually tries the game.  "The preview on IGN says it is great.  So it must be."  Please.  Here is a line from that preview.

"In addition to the new controls, which in our experience work very well, EA has included some exclusive multiplayer offerings in the Wii build of Madden. Unfortunately, we have not yet been able to try these out for ourselves, but the development team speaks very highly of them."

Well.  I'm sold.

I'm not sure how many people there are out there who have never played video games, but love football so much that they are willing to try Wii's version of Madden due to the controls.  Again I am skeptical that learning physical movements is any easier then learning what button to press.  What if  there are 2 receivers in relative close proximity on the field?  I certainly think pressing a button to distinguish between them is much easier then trying to move the dpad to  aim exactly at one of them and then moving the remote.  Also if there is no online play that will keep me from buying na matter how good the conrols work.  How can you release a football game in today's market with no online multiplayer?

Devil's point about sports games on the DS is a good one.  Also I'm still not convinced that the DS has made great inroads with non-gamers in the United States.  I think the new controls appeal more to people who are tired of gaming cliches, and looking for a new way to control games, rather than people who have never played video games before because they thought they were too complex.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 03:10:53 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 29, 2006, 02:53:53 PM

Devil's point about sports games on the DS is a good one.  Also I'm still not convinced that the DS has made great inroads with non-gamers in the United States.  I think the new controls appeal more to people who tired of gaming cliches ,and looking for a new way to control games, rather than people who have never played video games before because they thought they were too complex.

It certainly hasn't had the market penetration that has happened in Japan.  But their "non-gamer games" are doing very well here. To put it in perspective, Nintendogs in particular has outsold every game on the the Xbox with the exception of Halo and Halo 2.  It's kind of like the Sims- even though the sales are monstrous, the market it's predominantly selling to isn't the same people people who hang out on gaming message boards, so the sales are much, much higher than what you might think based on talk among conventional gamers.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 03:25:48 PM »

Denoginizer, you are still pushing a button to select a receiver. You aren't aiming with the Wiimote. The motion with the Wiimote determines the type of pass you throw (bullet, lob, normal) not where the ball goes. I am sure using the D-Pad is more of a "choose which receiver" thing than solely a "aim towards the receiver" thing.

I think the Wii controls will be more intuitive because it's A> what EA set out do do and B> what people who have played the game (or person in this preview's case) say they are.

In any event, I too will wait for reviews to decide yay or nay on this one, but the new control scheme actually has me interested for the first time in a while.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 03:27:35 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 03:32:11 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 29, 2006, 03:09:32 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on September 29, 2006, 02:53:53 PM

Devil's point about sports games on the DS is a good one.  Also I'm still not convinced that the DS has made great inroads with non-gamers in the United States.  I think the new controls appeal more to people who tired of gaming cliches ,and looking for a new way to control games, rather than people who have never played video games before because they thought they were too complex.

It certainly hasn't had the market penetration that has happened in Japan.  But their "non-gamer games" are doing very well here. To put it in perspective, Nintendogs in particular has outsold every game on the the Xbox with the exception of Halo and Halo 2.  It's kind of like the Sims- even though the sales are monstrous, the market it's predominantly selling to isn't the same people people who hang out on gaming message boards, so the sales are much, much higher than what you might think based on talk among conventional gamers.

I agree that non-games like the Sims and Nintendogs sell like hotcakes.  But thinking you are going to transition that playerbase to Madden simply because you lift up on the controller to snap the ball instead of pressing A is a bit of a leap.  I wonder what percentage of the people who buy the Sims and Nintendogs buy any video games besides that.  Yes they buy all of the expansions, but I'd hate to stake my home game console on that audience. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 03:35:58 PM »

Quote from: JCC on September 29, 2006, 03:25:48 PM

Denoginizer, you are still pushing a button to select a receiver. You aren't aiming with the Wiimote. The motion with the Wiimote determines the type of pass you throw (bullet, lob, normal) not where the ball goes. I am sure using the D-Pad is more of a "choose which receiver" thing than solely a "aim towards the receiver" thing.

Yes.  But isn't that MORE complex then just pressing a button to throw?  It just seems gimmicky to me.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 03:49:21 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 29, 2006, 03:32:11 PM

I agree that non-games like the Sims and Nintendogs sell like hotcakes.  But thinking you are going to transition that playerbase to Madden simply because you lift up on the controller to snap the ball instead of pressing A is a bit of a leap.  I wonder what percentage of the people who buy the Sims and Nintendogs buy any video games besides that.  Yes they buy all of the expansions, but I'd hate to stake my home game console on that audience. 

Have there been many similar games to buy beside that to begin with? To a degree- I can't find the link offhand, but Next-gen recently published a list of the top selling PC titles since 2000 and casual friendly titles that Sims fans would enjoy like Zoo Tycoon took up a surprising portion of the upper part of the list over many more well known and "gamer's games". I used to think that Nintendo was trying to use these games as a sort of gateway drug to ease them into the fold.  But now I think that isn't the case at all- instead they seem to be focusing on just providing them additional "non-game game" content to keep them satisfied.  In Japan, where there is a substantially larger pool of this type of software, the strategy is definitely working.  The US is still up in the air, but they've already done very, very well with both of their Brain games here and it looks like we're going to be getting more of these types of games so I guess we'll see.

As to football itself- the North American football audience is enormous obviously and even with Madden's blockbuster sales, the vast majority of football fans aren't playing videogames.  My dad, for example, loves football but something like Madden would be way too complicated for him.  So from that standpoint, something like Wii Madden, would probably be of more interest to him than, say, the 360 version though something even simpler might still be better for him.  So, yeah, I think there is a market there for titles like this. 
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 06:50:31 PM »

As a sometimes jaded gamer, I'm excited they're trying something new.  I'm surprised to see so much skepticism over a new idea.  If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.  At least they're trying something different and new.   
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 07:32:58 PM »

I'm excited too.

Just think there are legit questions.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 07:36:42 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 29, 2006, 07:32:58 PM

I'm excited too.

Just think there are legit questions.

I agree, and I think previews like this help answer them. I will be honest in that I want to hear more and more about games controlling well with simple movements versus flailing arms.

As for Nintendo possibly missing the mark on targetting "casual" gamers, well we won't know until they or someone tries to go after those markets.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 07:41:52 PM »

It helps, but to what extent?

In this specific case, I have more questions about the gameplay in Madden than the Wii controls.

We might LOVE throwing with the remote but if the defense sucks it really doesn't matter how innovative the controls are.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 07:54:02 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 29, 2006, 07:41:52 PM

It helps, but to what extent?

In this specific case, I have more questions about the gameplay in Madden than the Wii controls.

We might LOVE throwing with the remote but if the defense sucks it really doesn't matter how innovative the controls are.

well hopefully it will be addressed eventually in another preview or hands on. It seems that they are saying it is identical in regards to offense and defense gameplay to the other versions, and just that EA created a unique control scheme...

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 06:48:37 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37uav9cSevo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ihvok9wykI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6O3XfsUfxg

Three direct feed videos showing Madden Wii being played and the controller motions involved.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 12:50:44 AM »

Yeah that's cute and all... but I can't see how it's better or preferable in any way (for someone who's been playing video football games since 10 Yard Fight).

Different does not necessarily equal better.

gellar
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 12:56:31 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 01, 2006, 12:50:44 AM

Yeah that's cute and all... but I can't see how it's better or preferable in any way (for someone who's been playing video football games since 10 Yard Fight).

Different does not necessarily equal better.

gellar

not saying either way, just giving information to the people...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 01:59:08 PM »

I think it would be really cool to play like that. Draws you more into the game and whatnot.

Of course, playing sports games bore me to death, so I still won't be getting this.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 05:09:20 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer
"In addition to the new controls, which in our experience work very well, EA has included some exclusive multiplayer offerings in the Wii build of Madden. Unfortunately, we have not yet been able to try these out for ourselves, but the development team speaks very highly of them."

Well.  I'm sold.

A game's development team speaks very highly of something they've designed? OMFG NO WAI!!! It's just gotta be the best thing ever then.

Maybe I'm too cynical for this thread.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 01:12:26 PM »

This EA trailer has me even more intrigued. This looks fun and much more intuitive than the gamepad control which I could never master.

-John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: