http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 11:26:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GR:AW Multiplayer  (Read 3136 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2006, 01:26:56 PM »

After doing a bunch of reading this morning, the consensus on the net is that when people are getting dropped from a game it is due to the host's upload speed.  This seems like complete and utter BS to me in that the game supports 16 players in multiplayer, yet your average cable connection is only going to support 4??

Anyways, as a test, I thought we could list upload speeds in the thread and try and find our "optimal host " for some testing of this tonight.

I know I have 6 megs down, but comcast in my area caps upload at I believe 786k.  Sparhawk what is your upload speed... I swear we had the same exact issue when you hosted.  Anyway we need to get this figured out, way too many friends to play GR:AW with to only be able to play with 4 people at a time.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:32:15 PM »

That doesn't make much sense to me..  Last night the only person that was constantlky dropping was Hepcat.   I'm on DSL and was not experiencing any lag when playing on your server.   I think the max I played with was 5 people.  

Hopefully, we can set up a time to test connectivity this weekend.   I'll be free tonight and Sunday evening.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 01:33:34 PM »

Quote from: "tru1cy"
That doesn't make much sense to me..  Last night the only person that was constantlky dropping was Hepcat.   I'm on DSL and was experiencing any lag when playing on your server.   I think the max I played with was 5 people.  

Hopefully, we can set up a time to test connectivity this weekend.   I'll be free tonight and Sunday evening.

Well we played later and had I think 8 people in the lobby.  When the game began it dropped Hep, Purge, TiredChimp and one other I believe.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 01:33:57 PM »

I have 768 up with adelphia and have been hosting up to 7 players in co-op mission mode.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 01:47:21 PM »

Ok, could it have something to do with router settings for the host possibly?  I could perhaps bypass my router and try hosting again.  I just don't understand why it would depend on the hosts upload speed.  Perhaps I don't understand how XB:L works.  I thought there were central servers that "hosted" all the games and us players just created lobbys/sessions on those servers, but perhaps I am a moron.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 02:07:34 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
...but perhaps I am a moron.

AH-HA!  We have plenty of room at our camp for you.  It takes alot of work to be a certified moron!  Come join us.

Regarding all this speed talk, how do I test mine to figure it out?  Is there an EASY button I push, or does it involve math and stuff?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 02:09:19 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
...but perhaps I am a moron.

AH-HA!  We have plenty of room at our camp for you.  It takes alot of work to be a certified moron!  Come join us.

Regarding all this speed talk, how do I test mine to figure it out?  Is there an EASY button I push, or does it involve math and stuff?

Do I get to ride a short bus to your camp, and should I wear my helmet?
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 02:11:40 PM »

Ok, could it have something to do with router settings for the host possibly?  I could perhaps bypass my router and try hosting again.  I just don't understand why it would depend on the hosts upload speed.  Perhaps I don't understand how XB:L works.  I thought there were central servers that "hosted" all the games and us players just created lobbys/sessions on those servers, but perhaps I am a moron.

I would point towards the router, but, I was hosting without and router in place on my network and we still had users dropping like flies. My current upload speed is 1.5mb, so I don't think it is the users fault.

I am still pointing towards the game's net code or the live service itself.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 04:00:50 PM »

I had yet to play one full multiplayer game online in GR:AW. You guys have been kind enough to invite me but three seconds into every session I drop like its hot! It seems everytime I tried it was with about 8 to 10 people in the session. After about 7 tries it gets frustrating.

Purge was kind enough to host for just the two of us and spent a little time messing around over two session but on the third try I got dropped again and shut the system down to find my easy button. (still looking)

I know I have a horrible COX cable connection but their isnt anything I can do about so. I took the router out of the equation but still got the same results.

Just food for thoughts...

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 04:06:09 PM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
I had yet to play one full multiplayer game online in GR:AW. You guys have been kind enough to invite me but three seconds into every session I drop like its hot! It seems everytime I tried it was with about 8 to 10 people in the session. After about 7 tries it gets frustrating.

Purge was kind enough to host for just the two of us and spent a little time messing around over two session but on the third try I got dropped again and shut the system down to find my easy button. (still looking)

I know I have a horrible COX cable connection but their isnt anything I can do about so. I took the router out of the equation but still got the same results.

Just food for thoughts...

Scoop, have you tried hosting by any chance?  Maybe we take the weakest link and see what happens... reverse testing heh.  I will be online playing for many many hours tonight most likely.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 04:15:14 PM »

I'll try it tonight, but i honestly am beginning to think this may be more of a net code issue. my post about this on the official xbox forums grew to nine responses from players complaining of the same issue within 30 minutes.

if the game's dropping people because of slight interruptions in connectivity (slight to the point that it doesn't affect other games this way) or some other common place network issue that should be dealt with in the networking code used for connectivity in MP, then my hope is that Ubisoft will issue a patch shortly.

...otherwise i'm puttin' on my angry pants and marchin' to their headquarters!   :wink:

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 04:15:38 PM »

Scoop, have you tried hosting by any chance?  Maybe we take the weakest link and see what happens... reverse testing heh.  I will be online playing for many many hours tonight most likely.

We can give it a shot. I will be on sometime tonight but it will probably after 7:00 EST so I will give you anyone else I see and invite and see how fast we drop.  Tongue

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 04:47:29 PM »

Welcome to the fray Scoop.  Haven't seen you yet.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 05:00:04 PM »

I wonder if all Xbox games are based around one of the machines being the host too. With games like COD 2 having lag problems I'm thinking devs are going to have to start offering dedicated servers for games.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 05:04:47 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"

You can test your speed at Broadband Reports here.

LiveTAG: happydog
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 05:59:32 PM »

I keep getting trouble with games too. I probably play and stay connected 2/3 of the time and get dumped 1/3 of the time. Perhaps the thing that pisses me off the most about MP GRAW is not the disconnects, but the fact that you for some incredible reason can't back out of a multiplayer game to the list of games you just searched for!!! For some insane, mentally challenged reason, it kicks you to the main lobby, and you have to do the 30 second search again! Argh, it drives me nuts.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 07:22:57 PM »

I have 3mb down and I think 768up.  I get about 65kB/sec uploads, so it's pretty decent.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 07:24:38 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
...otherwise i'm puttin' on my angry pants and marchin' to their headquarters!   :wink:

Angry or not, PLEASE PUT YOUR PANTS ON. Today is NOT "No-Pants-Day".

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 07:46:46 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

Angry or not, PLEASE PUT YOUR PANTS ON. Today is NOT "No-Pants-Day".

No kidding, thank god that webcam isn't out yet for the 360.

biggrin
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 07:48:40 PM »

exhibit a:

angry pants

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 08:02:06 PM »

exhibit a:

angry pants

*in an annoying high pitched voice*

DON'T FORGET YOUR ANGRY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!
jallowe1453
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 09:26:12 PM »

For all of you looking for the Easy button, it is here sitting on my desk at work (ask Arkon).  And I just pushed it, and hopefully you all will be able to play tonight without getting dropped.  The night I played, I found it annoying to keep getting dropped.  Anyway, I am off to "Happy Hour" and won't be on till after the weekend.  Alas my girlfriend does not have the internet so I have to leave my 360 at home.  But the sex makes up for it.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 09:29:13 PM »

Quote from: "jallowe1453"
For all of you looking for the Easy button, it is here sitting on my desk at work (ask Arkon).  And I just pushed it, and hopefully you all will be able to play tonight without getting dropped.  The night I played, I found it annoying to keep getting dropped.  Anyway, I am off to "Happy Hour" and won't be on till after the weekend.  Alas my girlfriend does not have the internet so I have to leave my 360 at home.  But the sex makes up for it.

Sex or Internet????  :shock: Thats a hard call to make.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 09:34:51 PM »

I think you made the right choice!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 09:52:07 PM »

Alas my girlfriend does not have the internet so I have to leave my 360 at home.  But the sex makes up for it.

Nah, she's not that good even though she does things for me she says she won't for you.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006, 02:37:49 AM »

just posted this over at OO, hope this helps anyone having issues with being dropped at the beginning of a game!

okay, just dropping by for a quick update. just finished about 5 or 6 games with the guys and was never dropped once. the only difference tonight is i picked up a Linksys BEFSR41v4 and updated it to the newest firmware. it's one of the routers on the microsoft approved list of routers. i then put my 360 in the dmz. worked like a charm. hope that helps!

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2006, 05:05:38 AM »

Listen to this crap. I have Cox.

My download is 243 kbps (That is 93.6% worse than an average user on cox.net) and upload 1720 kbps (That is 140.5% better than an average user on cox.net).

Any ideas?

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2006, 06:34:28 AM »

Had fun while I and Lynk could play.  Unfortunately we started getting booted and we not able to join the server again.  <shrug> I blame the campus network.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2006, 01:23:01 PM »

My download is 243 kbps (That is 93.6% worse than an average user on cox.net) and upload 1720 kbps (That is 140.5% better than an average user on cox.net).

Any ideas?

check this site out first:

http://www.dslreports.com/

much, much info to be found there.

of particular interest for you would be the TOOLS section and a little utility called DrTCP.  run it and then make any changes it tells you.

also, make sure that your cable modem isn't sitting near any power sources or other peripherals on your desktop (or wherever).  mine used to sit next to my ipod and i had intermittent problems.  when i finally moved it, my problems disappeared.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2006, 01:36:12 PM »

I got booted 3 seconds into the first game I tried to play with hepcat and others. So, then ELGUAPODC and a couple others started another game and we played for quite awhile without getting booted once.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2006, 02:15:44 PM »

I played quite a few games last night without getting booted.  ANd then I got kicked well into a coop mission for no reason.  I really don't think it has anything to do with routers or anything like that.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2006, 05:37:54 PM »

Ok, maybe its not my connection. I played some 8 man campaign multiplayer games this morning and it was smooth as silk and hella fun.

Now I see what all the fuss is about. The Maps are incredible. Plenty of places where you need teamwork to provide cover, flank an enemy position or even provide supression fire so others can advance to an objective.

I think Xbox Live might be the culprit after all.

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2006, 06:41:22 PM »

Any ideas?

A faster upload than download speed can indicate a problem with COX's connection. I would call them and have them send someone out. The couple times I ran into this, they determined my signal strength was either to low or to high (yes to high causes problems too  :? ).

LiveTAG: happydog
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2006, 09:03:53 AM »

Just wanted to say that we had a good time tonight playing some co-op with Sparhawk.  Good times.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2006, 05:20:58 AM »

Good thing that we stopped playing when we did tonight Turtle.  About 3 minutes later the tornado sirens cut loose here and we had to head down to the ground floor!

Had fun, even if I apparently forgot to take off the bullet magnet I was wearing.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2006, 08:13:57 AM »

Wow, hope everyone's okay over there!

Thanks for the fun game.  After dying so much I wanted to cut loose and do some run and gun on a adversarial server, then again I was shot down quite a bit on adversarial servers.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2006, 02:14:08 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Good thing that we stopped playing when we did tonight Turtle.  About 3 minutes later the tornado sirens cut loose here and we had to head down to the ground floor!

Had fun, even if I apparently forgot to take off the bullet magnet I was wearing.

You too? Wow, we must live pretty close to eachother!

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2006, 02:38:31 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"

Springfield MO.  From what I heard last night we had 4 or 5 tornados touch down around the area.  I was hoping that the early morning classes might be cancelled, but no luck with that  :lol:

Nothing like being stuck in a hallway with 70odd people for an hour at a time at 1 in the morning  :wink:

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2006, 04:22:02 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Quote from: "Sparhawk"

Springfield MO.  From what I heard last night we had 4 or 5 tornados touch down around the area.  I was hoping that the early morning classes might be cancelled, but no luck with that  :lol:

Nothing like being stuck in a hallway with 70odd people for an hour at a time at 1 in the morning  :wink:

KCMO here!  biggrin  

I woulda brought a blanket and tried to sleep in the hallway, but usually in those situations you're so amped that sleep is impossible.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2006, 04:59:32 PM »

wimps!  i grew up at the base of Mt. St. Helens!  We'd get up every morning, wipe the lava off the driveway with paper towels, then walk to work in tennis shoes with 3 foot thick soles!  by the time we'd get there, it would be 3 o'clock and we'd have to turn around and go back home!

...wow, i've had a lot of coffee today.

anyway, how was the online stability this weekend for you guys?  i didn't get to play nearly as much as i'd liked to have due to some unforeseen responsiblities popping up, but i was just curious if the number of people dropping out of games when started was falling?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: