http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 05:54:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GRAW 1, 2, or R6:V?  (Read 1106 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2007, 08:24:20 PM »

Hello all.  I used to play the OG Ghost Recon games on the PC, but after a couple expansion packs I fell out of the loop.  I think I tried a demo of R6 back in the day and I couldn't even get passed the waypoints screen. 

I tried the demos for these games on live and they seem pretty cool and noob friendly.  Anyone have any thoughts on which one would be best for a gamer like me?  I can do some tactical stuff, but excessive leading of team members scrambles my circuits.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »

Play Ghost recon on PC again, IMO.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 08:44:26 PM »

I'd say R6:V before the two GRAW's.

Team leading is minimal, but the gameplay is still fairly tactical. Plus shooting up Vegas ==  thumbsup.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 08:48:11 PM »

I've played GRAW and Vegas.  I'd say go with Vegas.  The AI teammates are better than GRAW.   The game felt tighter and more fun to play. But there are better experts than me around here.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 09:34:07 PM »

R6:V for the win.... GRAW is good for a rental.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 09:34:16 PM »

RBS:V Hands down!  But what do I know...I suck at FPS

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 09:49:44 PM »

Vegas in a landslide.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:51:33 PM »

Vegas, no question.  Loooooooooved Vegas and really didn't like either of the GRAW games.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 10:23:31 PM »

I have to give R6:Vegas the nod.  When GRAW first came out for the 360 I had seen nothing like it.  Amazing visuals, great MP cooperative gameplay, and a visceral storyline.  However, there wasn't much focus on tactics (at least in the SP campaign, as tactics were somewhat important when playing MP), and the battle areas were a little too open for my taste.  I wanted something more tactical, and in closer quarters.  I'm not a big fan of war games, and instead prefer shooters played in smaller areas that require a more tactical approach rather than bursting in and firing blindly until either you are out of ammo or all enemies are dead.

R6:Vegas is a much different game.  You play inside buildings, along narrow streets, in stairwells, hotel lobbies, rooftops, etc.  You have much less area to maneuver, and when trying to save a hostage, tactics are key.  You don't want to alert the terrorists and risk the life of the hostage, and you also don't want to leave any terrorists that post a threat to the hostage still standing.  Not to mention a desire to preserve your own life and the lives of your team as well.  And so you find yourself in some pretty tense, cerebral situations.  Plus, the game has unbelievable control.  You have complete control of your team and can direct them with very basic button presses.

For example, imagine coming up to a room with two entry points.  You have two teammates, and there is a hostage inside being held by five terrorists.  Three of you, five of them, a hostage's life in the balance.  But, you have the element of surprise on your side.  One terrorist has a gun to the hostage's head, another is covering the hostage with his own weapon, two are near one of the room's entrances, and the last is just inside the doorway you are crouching behind.  What do you do?  In GRAW you would simply blow up the building and call it a day (no, not really, but that was pretty much the extent of tactics).  In R6, first you may want to send your two teammates to the second entry point and have them set up a breaching charge, waiting for your signal.  Once they are in position, next you might want to designate the priority targets (you can designate up to two, with one being priority one - most dangerous - and the other being priority two - not quite as dangerous, but more dangerous than the remaining enemies).  The terrorist with his gun to the hostage's head is obviously priority one, while the terrorist with his gun covering the hostage would be priority two.  Your team will therefore focus their firepower on the first two priorities before taking out the less dangerous enemies.  The plan will be to blow the far door with the breaching charge, taking out two of the terrorists, and while the other three are stunned from the explosion your team will take out priority one and priority two.  While this is taking place you can slip in the first door and take out that last terrorist standing just inside. 

And this is only one option.  Another is to burst in with guns blazing, but odds are either the terrorists will kill the hostage, or you will inadvertantly do their job for them.  And yet another option is to crack open the door, toss a flash bang grenade, catch everyone off-guard, and then come in guns blazing before your enemies are able to recover from the grenade (utilizing the priority designation feature is also a big help in this instance since you can have your team take out two of the more dangerous targets while you clean up the rest).

You also have the option of determining when to use silencers (which make your guns much quieter, but at the expense of stopping power and accuracy), or when to "go loud" (when the element of surprise has already been comprimised and you need to use stopping power and accuracy in order to stay alive, or when hostages aren't an issue).

Tactics are key in R6 due to fighting in close quarters, having to rescue hostages, and fighting against armies of terrorists to your squad of three.  It is a fantastic game with a much deeper gameplay mechanic than GRAW, at least in my opinion.  Not to mention an amazing multiplayer mode as well.  I got bored with GRAW long ago, but I still can't get enough of R6:Vegas.  It has a better cover system, better gameplay, better controls, and a stronger focus on tactics, which is exactly what I'm looking for in a shooter.  I think R6 is one of the best shooters I've ever played.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 11:03:23 PM »

Rainbow 6 Vegas all the way.  Probably my most played game on the 360 to date.  The GRAWs are good and I have played through them a couple times each, but if I could only have one today, it would be Vegas.  Period.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 12:08:06 AM »

vegas, baby.  vegas

Just Hiro will do.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 12:09:08 AM »

R6 Vegas first, though I would suggest renting or buying used GRAW2 for sure.  I really enjoyed the GRAW2 campaign because of the improvements to the AI and command engine.  GRAW1 wasn't painfully bad, but unless you play it first, you will hate your AI squad members.  GRAW1 has been surpassed by improvements to the engine, and GRAW2 loses against R6's cover and play style.  GRAW2 is fun for the larger tactical engagements, but somehow I keep going back to r6...I really need to get my 360's drive repaired so I can play this one again!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 12:22:01 AM »

definitely R6:V

the Multi-Player is way better than GRAW2, I own both
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 12:36:08 AM »

I was in the same boat as you, hadn't played a Tom Clancy game since like 2001. I played GRAW and didn't think all that much of it. R6: Vegas, however, remains one of my favorite games on the 360. Awesome graphics and level design, great gameplay. No clue about multiplayer though.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 12:52:37 AM »

Listen not to the philistines.  GRAW2 is the best MP game out there biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 12:56:32 AM »

Vegas!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 02:20:14 AM »

Thanks to all for your replies!
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 02:22:07 AM »

ATB didn't even know Vegas had a cover system. DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM!
R6: Vegas all the way.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 02:35:18 AM »

Vegas all the way, ATB just can't hang and wouldn't stick around long enough to own me slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 02:36:15 AM »

BTW, when COD4 is released, I'd love to play with you all, it's got a lot of the feel of vegas only much faster.  I still prefer the slower vegas pace, but cod4 is fun.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 03:04:28 AM »

I loved all 3.  I think Vegas has better MP but preferred the SP campaigns on the GRAW games.  The improvements to the graphics and interface of GRAW2 over GRAW are substantial enough that I would recommend playing GRAW1 first so you don't get spoiled on it if you decide to play both.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 05:02:45 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 21, 2007, 02:36:15 AM

BTW, when COD4 is released, I'd love to play with you all, it's got a lot of the feel of vegas only much faster.  I still prefer the slower vegas pace, but cod4 is fun.

In!  Regardless of whether you pwn me as badly as you did in R6. I find it much less stressful and more fun to play.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 05:34:46 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 21, 2007, 02:36:15 AM

so you can kill us twice as fast?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 01:36:19 AM »

COD4 also has a party system... Hark doesn't 'have' to be killing us.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: