http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 01:16:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics settings... HDR? AA? Bloom?  (Read 2204 times)
Clay
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:48:31 PM »

So, with my new gaming rig, I've finally been able to play some games that I've wanted to play for a long time.  What I am confused by are the graphics settings.  For instance, in Oblivion, the option to use HDR is available, but I can't have it on at the same time as Antialiasing.  What's up with that?  Which of those is preferable?  High Dynamic Range = brighter, more saturated colors, right?  Why is this incompatible with AA?  Which is 'better?' 

And then there's bloom...  I know what it does and I like it sometimes, but I wonder: does it exist to cover up graphics that otherwise don't look great?

xbox live: nude rick james
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 09:53:08 PM »

I'm not that much of an expert but:

HDR and AA are incompatible on certain cards I think- Nvidia maybe.  I think this has been "solved" in the 8800 series though.  AA eliminates jagged edges.  At lower resolutions (1024x768 for example), jaggies can be very apparent so AA is really nice.  At higher res, jaggies aren't as obvious so you might prefer HDR instead at that resolution. 

Bloom is sort of a poor man's HDR.  HDR is designed to simulate the effect that light has on your eye so as enter the outdoors from a dark room or cave, you are initially blinded a little bit and then things come into focus.  The same applies if you look up at the sun and then down, etc. 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 10:22:02 PM »

As a rule I turn HDR and Bloom off in all games.. I totally hate the effect, especially in Oblivion where it blinded you and overexposed almost everything you were looking at.

HDR/Bloom is the Lens Flare of 2005/2006.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 10:35:43 PM »

HDR on, bloom off.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 10:38:26 PM »

HDR > AA for me, vastly.  But it's mostly up to personal preference.  Try 'em out for a while and see what you like.  HDR and AA are incompatible on most hardware due to complicated technical reasons that you don't want to hear about.  It's solved on some ATI cards with a driver update.  What Kevin says about bloom is correct.  It is largely meant as an approximation of HDR for people who lack the hardware to do true HDR.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 11:04:38 PM »

Ok, thanks for the advice.  AA works fine for me on everything except for Titan Quest.  After 5 minutes running with AA, it locks up, which bums me out.  Those 5 minutes of Titan Quest with AA are beautiful.  biggrin

Oblivion looks great...  I think I have AA on, but no bloom or HDR.  I'll have to play around with the settings some more. 

xbox live: nude rick james
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 03:33:56 AM »

HDR if possible, bloom and AA if not.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 03:19:45 PM »

Lens flare was 2005?  That was the original Playstation's 'thing' for all of it's existence.  My friend used to make fun of it for using it so much.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 04:24:27 PM »

AA on for me, HDR and Bloom off because they look horrible.

Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 05:00:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 17, 2006, 09:53:08 PM

I'm not that much of an expert but:

HDR and AA are incompatible on certain cards I think- Nvidia maybe.  I think this has been "solved" in the 8800 series though. 

Depends on the implementation.  Source engine games (Half-Life 2) support both HDR & AA currently, but Oblivion and Far Cry do not.  Don't recall all the details, but the Source engine calculates things differently whereas the other two require hardware features that nVidia doesn't yet uspport.  Iirc there was a patch released by ATI for Crossfire systems that allow AA & HDR in Oblivion, but I've got nvidia cards so can't say for sure.

HDR is hit or miss for me.  Sometimes it looks nice, sometimes it's just distracting and I turn it off.  It certainly gives my video cards a run for their money.  I've got two 7900's running in SLI mode and even they can choke sometimes with HDR, AA at high resolutions.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 05:03:06 PM by Windows98 » Logged

16-bit and loving it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: