http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:23:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics Dont Count -Nintendo  (Read 1518 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2004, 05:06:05 PM »

Neither does ONLINE play.. Who needs it?

I hope this isnt a sign that nintendo is going to be behind the curve again. IF GRAPHICS DONT COUNT WHY THE HELL DO WE UPGRADE OUR SYSTEMS?

Iwata: Nintendo will rule the handheld market

Flush with early success at retail, the Nintendo president expresses his confidence that the DS will outperform the PSP.
Nintendo has proclaimed itself the undisputed winner in the handheld race. And for now, no one can contest the claim.

In a presentation yesterday at the Tokyo headquarters of the Foreign Correspondents Club, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata reportedly said, "Both in the US and Japan, our supply cannot catch up with demand." Earlier today, Nintendo announced plans to increase shipments of the DS to North America by 40 percent. "We're running short on stock," he told attendees.

Commenting on the DS's unique selling point, one he summed up as "easy to play and fun to play," Iwata distanced his company's solution from Sony's. "The old formula for success--the combination of high-specification game consoles and advanced graphics--is no longer working," he said. "We now need to create a new proposal for our customers to set a new course for the industry. The launch of the Nintendo DS is our answer to such challenge."

Addressing the PSP directly, Iwata said, "I believe the PSP is built on the belief that the old formula for success is still viable, although we do not think so. ... Although we have no intention of fighting over the market share with Sony, we will make our utmost efforts to help people understand that our approach is right."

The strong language from Nintendo comes just days before the launch of the competition's entry into the handheld space. The PSP goes on sale in Japan on December 12.

Staying closer to the facts, Iwata also updated sales numbers for the handheld, saying, "In the US, sales have already hit 1 million units." Commenting on those sales, he said, "To meet strong demand, we will ship 2.8 million Nintendo DS consoles by the end of December, about 800,000 units higher than we had initially targeted."

Additionally, Iwata made brief mention regarding Nintendo's plans to enter the Chinese market, but wasn't clear on whether he specifically meant with the DS. "We are moving in some new directions [toward the China market]," he said. "But it will be a while before we can talk more about it."

To what extent the DS can maintain its first-to-market advantage, however, remains to be seen. The PSP launch, just days away, will put Iwata's fighting words to the test.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 06:36:27 PM »

And yet, the most graphically advanced console with the best online play was soundly defeated by the PS2 this generation.  I think Iwata's right.  Also, it's not as if Nintendo is not pushing graphically forward, albeit slowly.  The GBA had SNES-era graphics, the DS is N64-era.  The PSP reflects the current generation, but it also has a 90 - 360 minute battery life.  The design decisions for the new handhelds have both positive and negative points, but after seeing how well the DS is selling, I'm not worried for Nintendo.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 06:45:11 PM »

Nevermind that the Cube had better graphic capabilities than the PS2 as well...

Gee, Hank, you're really on an anti-nintendo roll lately....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 07:14:31 PM »

Quote from: "Temjin"
And yet, the most graphically advanced console with the best online play was soundly defeated by the PS2 this generation.  I think Iwata's right.  Also, it's not as if Nintendo is not pushing graphically forward, albeit slowly.  The GBA had SNES-era graphics, the DS is N64-era.  The PSP reflects the current generation, but it also has a 90 - 360 minute battery life.  The design decisions for the new handhelds have both positive and negative points, but after seeing how well the DS is selling, I'm not worried for Nintendo.

Also, remember this - the GB (yes, the old black and green brick) beat out FAR more powerful handhelds (the Game Gear, the Atari Lynx, the portable TG-16, etc).

Why? It's the games and the console itself.

The GB ran forever on four AAs. The GG and the Lynx sucked on them like water.

The GB had Tetris, Mario, etc. The others, well, while the GG had some good stuff, the Lynx was limited in the software area.

My attitiude towards games are the following - fantastic graphics are a bonus, not mandatory. It's the gameplay that counts in the end. Period.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 07:14:35 PM »

The DS looks like a decent system and the graphics don't look so bad either. However I strongly disagree that graphics don't mean anything. Why isn't the Atari 2600 still in business? Why is it with every generation (INCLUDING the Gamecube and Nintendo DS) of hardware the graphics look better than they did on the last system?

It's kind of hard to support Nintendo when they go around making these kinds of remarks. Online play was the biggest one for me. Not to mention most of their games seem to be targeted towards children anyway.
And who knows if they'll be compatible with the next generation? Using that tiny little "kids cd" for the gamecube can be a problem. It was a nice feature for the Xbox and PS2 to have dvd support.

Why support Nintendo, when they don't support you?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 07:29:14 PM »

Jez, that about missing the point people. I think what  Iwata is trying to convey is just releasing a new system that can just push more polygons and preform more calculations is not the direction he wants to head in.

The DS does offer something more than just  a more powerful version of the GBA with better graphics. It has 2 screens - one of them being touch sensitive, a microphone, and wireless networking built in. Of course many people just dismiss all these features as gimicks, we'll all have to just wait  until more games come out to see if thats the case. The potential to provide new - or a least more enhanced - gameplay experiences is definately there, the question is can they pull it off.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 07:57:50 PM »

Nevermind that the Cube had better graphic capabilities than the PS2 as well...

Gee, Hank, you're really on an anti-nintendo roll lately....

Love nintendo...  But they are no longer the industry leader they were. And I BELIEVE it has to do with their weird ideas.

They make the best 1st party software in the world, but they are competing against SONY and MICROSOFT who are concerned with the cutting edge, and I DO believe its what people want... or the video card market wouldnt survive.

With a handheld, its about twitch gaming to me... warioware... crap like that, and I AGREE that graphics are less important...

DAMN that PSP is sexy tho' and yeah, the lynx failed, the game gear failed... but Nintendo has NEVER gone against someone as big as Sony... they will not lose this race, but they have to be careful...

Like the DS alot.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 11:16:54 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"
Jez, that about missing the point people. I think what  Iwata is trying to convey is just releasing a new system that can just push more polygons and preform more calculations is not the direction he wants to head in..

The sole reason he "thinks this way" is because he knows Nintendo isn't going to compete with the 800 pund Gorillas in MS and Sony in that area alone. Nintendo was happy to do the standard stuff with consoles for years and now it not the way to go suddenly? Please, I will give Nintendo credit for trying something new with the DS but this change in thinking is 100% a reaction to Sony and MS.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 11:45:47 PM »

I think the way Angrycoder is reading it is right, but that doesn't mean Itwata is right, AND it doesn't mean that Nintendo isn't abandoning pretty graphics, one look at Echoes will tell you that they are quite capable of making things pretty to look at.

What I believe he is saying, and I've allways felt this, is that come next generation all Hardware developers will be on pretty much the same level technology wise, hell Nintendo and Microsoft are using different variations of the same hardware as both are using ATI and IBM as major parteners. So the focus is going to be less on who has the prettiest graphics and best technology and instead it's going to be on who brings the newest ideas and best ways of playing game. Do you guys follow me on that?

Now, Nintendo is good at making new things and having some innovation, but I think that they really fool themselves into believing that they're the most innnovation developer out there. In reality Nintendo still shovels alot of the same in a lot of their games and only has a few very, very bright spots in terms of innovation and new ideas that go beyond gimmick. I'm still pissed that Japanese companies are holding games back from US and Pal Releases. This isn't the 1980's and Us consumers have a taste for Japanese games, and there's a fairly healthy niche market for quirky Japanese games, if they're marketed right. It's a damn shame that Nintendo and Sony don't have the balls or the brains to go after that niche.

I love Nintendo, but god don't they make you want to slap your forehead sometimes?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 12:36:21 AM »

TESTIFY TEBUNKER!

They do make you slap your heads, and yet.. they release great stuff...

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 04:20:18 AM »

really though, nintendo should look at the market for wierd japanese games.  this generation has seen its share of quirky games, but most of those have been ps2 exclusive

ico
rad
katamari damacy
mr mosquito
rez
amplitude
frequency
maestro (or whatever that conductor game was called)
all the ddr and karoake games

i though that the gc had a good share of this market, but it seems they have let the market fade a bit.  i also think that tebunker nailed the issue on the head.  nintendo has to put its head into making new 1st party games, not reusing a lot of the old stuff.  they risk being seen as stagnant, as selling the same games they did 15 and 20 years ago, only with prettier graphics.  and while everyone loves a good sequel, we also love to play with new ideas.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 02:13:52 AM »

Man I have been saying this for YEARS.  Less on the glitter more on substance.  Graphics sure help but they sure aren't necessary to make a superb game.  Now that doesn't mean I agree with that fact when limiting a piece of hardware's capability.  Why limit the hardware?  Then you're saying that ALL the games (good or bad) have mediocre graphics at best as compared to the competition.  Strange that.  BUT:

Bad Graphics / Great Games:
-Space Empires series
-Disgaea (and the like La Pucelle, Phantom Brave)
-Monster Rancher series
-Civilization series
-System Shock 2
-Divine Divinity
-Many Console RPGs

Great Graphics / Bad Games:
-Deus Ex 2
-Many of the recent D&D games
-Some of the later Ultima Games
-Many Console RPGs (heh)

what else can you guys think of?

Now I don't mean to be "I told you so" blah blah...  In fact I'll bet that most of you still disagree with me.  It probably comes down to a matter of taste.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: