http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 11:06:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grandmother Sues Rockstar, Stupidity Reigns Supreme  (Read 1166 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2005, 07:38:06 PM »

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050727/video_game_lawsuit.html?.v=2

Ok, wtf?  She is concerned about the sex..sure, thats valid.  Uh, what about the fact that the language is some of the most course in any game in a very long time or the fact that you can pick up hookers for energy??!  

Age > Wisdom

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:51:57 PM »

in any real world situation that isnt a witch hunt, like this has sort of become, the case should be tossed out.  When she bought the game, the content was missing and the M rating was appropriate.  NOW the game has been moved to a AO rating.  BUT, seeing as this has become The Gaming Witch Trials, I am sure Rockstar will be held responsible for this as well.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 08:23:55 PM »

I think the police should turn around and charge her with child endangerment.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 08:25:51 PM »

I wondered the same thing.  It's okay to have a game where you can shoot people for no reason, or run them over...  But unlock a sex scene and all of a sudden NOW it's for adults only??

Isn't any kid who is smart enough to find that cheat code online just going to get the real thing when he gets to that other site that asks 'Do you verify that you are over 18?'

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 08:35:31 PM »

Does anyone believe this is anything but a money grab?  It is obviously done simply to make a quick buck.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 11:22:35 PM »

I just read this on gamespot. This is sickening that crap like this even makes it to the courts. Oh how I miss the days when stupid people didnt run aroudn freely, or at least were kept under control.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 11:28:43 PM »

I agree; anyone letting their grandchild play this should be charged with something.  Talk about negligence.  But, the kid WAS 14, and somebody would have to willfully enable the content.  IMO, they are on pretty solid legal ground.  Rockstar, not grandma.

"They should really make sure this doesn't happen again," he said. "The least this company can do is offer refunds."

I thought Rockstar WAS offering refunds to people?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 12:17:53 AM »

Laurence D. Paskowitz, the lawyer who filed the lawsuit on behalf of Cohen, said no parent would knowingly buy an adult-only video game for their children.

LOL. What an idiot. Does he really believe that?

Incredibly stupid idea for a lawsuit if you ask me, but hey, what do I know?
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 04:46:07 AM »

She gets to sue on behalf of parents everywhere, or on behalf of every person.  Which is good because clearly no one else bougt this game for antyhing but kids.

Speaking of which, if I ever buy a game like this for my kid, without understanding the content of the game, someone needs to shoot me for stupidity.

Now if they were selling these games to 12 year olds, they might have a problem, but it would be more the store who sold it's problem than rockstars.  Mature is Mature.  unless you tto lazy to read the label, then it's whatever keeps my kid/grandkid quiet.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 12:53:40 PM »

I wonder if she would purchase a game called 'Murder Death Kill' and then be shocked at the content.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 01:37:08 PM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
She gets to sue on behalf of parents everywhere, or on behalf of every person.  Which is good because clearly no one else bougt this game for antyhing but kids.

Speaking of which, if I ever buy a game like this for my kid, without understanding the content of the game, someone needs to shoot me for stupidity.

Now if they were selling these games to 12 year olds, they might have a problem, but it would be more the store who sold it's problem than rockstars.  Mature is Mature.  unless you tto lazy to read the label, then it's whatever keeps my kid/grandkid quiet.

She can sue in this natue because its class action, which is a specific type of lawsuit open to a class of persons. Usually the person that files the suit must have standing, as does anyone who joins. The person filing must give a certain kind of notice to make anyone else who might be affected and might want to join able to do so, and then the whole mess proceeds. Class action suits are their own little world-lots of little things different from a regular trial. Either way, the issue here is whether there is a material issue of fact or law to go to trial. I want to see the initial pleadings so I understand what basis for relief this woman is claiming. I want to see what her proof of damages is. Stupid woman. Seriously, what an effing idiot.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 03:14:54 PM »

Ugh.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: