http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 05:56:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grandia III reviews trickling in  (Read 1462 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2006, 07:52:56 PM »

So the embargo for Grandia III has been lifted, and IGN has posted their review:

7.6 from IGN

Pretty OK score, seeing as how IGN has now employed a "tougher" grading scale.

Gaming-Age also has a review up, giving Grandia III a C+.

I'm still going to pick it up Wednesday (I've heard it's going to sell for $39 at Frys, but I can't confirm that) because the battle system is, well, Grandia and the graphics look phenomenal.  And I am somewhat of a graphics whore   biggrin  It's hard to believe it's almost time already!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 08:05:12 PM »

RPGamer gave it a 4.5/5, and Game Informer 8.75.  I'll definitely be getting it eventually (along with Tales of Legendia), but I'm going to wait a while.  With so many RPGs coming out between February and March, I'm just getting the ones that are likely to be rare soon (Tales of Phantasia GBA and MS Saga) and Shadow Hearts, because it's only $40.  

The only thing that disappoints me about Grandia 3 is the lack of locations.  From the reviews and looking at the FAQ, it looks like there are only about 13 locations to visit.  The dungeons are supposed to be long (which I like), but that seems like an awfully low number.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 08:10:48 PM »

I'd been waiting for some reviews on this so I could decide on this or ToL.  Both have been getting fair reviews.  
It sounds decent enough, but I think I'll try to hold off for awhile.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 08:46:12 PM »

Hm, mediocre reviews for both this and Legendia... maybe I'll just get Age of Empires DS and GalCiv2...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 09:07:42 PM »

Eh, I'll pass.

DQ8 is likely to keep me happy for 6 more months anyway.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 09:10:38 PM »

count me in on tales of phantasia, & holding off on everything else. after my 4 week magna carta experience - great battle system (imo) & graphics, mediocre story - i'm not quite ready to go down that road again just yet...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 10:47:37 PM »

Game Informer was pretty harsh on Tales of Phantasia.  Now, I don't really care for GI's opinions but supposedly one of the issues is extreme slowdown and that *is* a major concern.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 12:31:20 AM »

I'm going to hold off and pick up Age of Empires DS instead.  GIII is intriguing, but I wasn't a huge fan of the previous games and I'm not a big fan of fast-paced, frantic battle systems.  I'm sure I'll give it a try, but not until after a price drop.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 01:30:10 AM »

I may wait, it didn't take long for some other Squenix games to come down and maybe this will be the case here too.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 02:43:36 AM »

It's a Grandia title, so I'm getting it. Though I'll say it's a bit of a shame to hear all these RPGs come out, and be 'mediocre'.

(...High hopes for Suikoden 5)

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 03:14:27 AM »

i think it's more of a shame that we all consider games rated 7.5 or so mediocre. I think it's great that the reviewers are getting "tougher" but to me a game doesn't have to change the genre or have an amazing of a story.

I thought TOS 's story was great and it got panned by reviewers, I like Baten Kaitos's story and that got panned. So I don't put too much weight into what the reviewers say.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 03:23:52 AM »

It's worth noting that the stories in Grandia I & II hardly set the world on fire (to say nothing of Xtreme).  The combat system has always been the star of these games and it sounds like it remains intact in GIII.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 06:35:32 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
i think it's more of a shame that we all consider games rated 7.5 or so mediocre. I think it's great that the reviewers are getting "tougher" but to me a game doesn't have to change the genre or have an amazing of a story.

I thought TOS 's story was great and it got panned by reviewers, I like Baten Kaitos's story and that got panned. So I don't put too much weight into what the reviewers say.

And despite all of that, it still wouldn't hurt for one of them to stand out a head taller from the rest, now would it? But yeah, sometimes, more of the same isn't necessarily a bad thing either. And sometimes, it can actually be a pleasant surprise after average expectations.

Well, except in the case of Suikoden 4. That one hurt.

Of course, in the end, it really doesn't make a difference, since I end up buying them anyways.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 06:52:35 AM »

Liuke Rob, I'm in the middle of DQ8 at the moment and probably will wait on both Grandia and ToL. I eventually want to try both, despite the lukewarm reviews.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 06:55:19 AM »

Yeah you know, when it comes to RPGs and reviews they're given, it's really a mixed bag with me.  Depsite the mediocorish reviews of Romancing SaGa, I'm finding myself enjoying that title.  And I even liked Unlimited SaGa too.  I typically pick up every RPG I can, even if the review score is low, just because RPGs vary so different in opinion.

The testament of Game Informer giving Digital Devil Saga 2 a 6.25 only proves the point   biggrin

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 08:24:20 AM »

"The testament of Game Informer giving Digital Devil Saga 2 a 6.25 only proves the point."
After that review, a 6 or so for Paper Mario 2, and an 8.25 for Suikoden 4, I no longer put any stock in their RPG reviews.  They did rate a bunch this month, though, with 8.75 for Grandia 3 and Shadow Hearts, and 7.25 - 7.5  for ToP, ToL, and MS Saga.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 12:49:09 PM »

And despite all of that, it still wouldn't hurt for one of them to stand out a head taller from the rest, now would it?

And I am right there with your Fellow, it's just that every reviewer seems to want that out of Every new RPG.

Heck, they're not even saying it's more of the same, a lot of the reviews knock the games for some silly reason, like the story sounds trite. I can't think of one RPG where the story hasn't been done a hundred times or wasn't aped fomr popular works of fiction. They almost always start with some young hero saving the world, or some guy who ends up either being related to the bad guy or was originally a bad guy and amnesia made him good again.

Heck look at Baldur's Gate 2 and Knights of the Old Republic, the stories are fairly similar, and yet both are lauded as great stories.

All I ask for are fully developed characters, an interesting battle system and halfway decent translations for games coming from overseas. If I had read that any of these titles had a half assed translation I would walk away from them. For example, all I read bad about Baten Kaitos was that the story was played out and the Voice Acting stunk, well I play the game and realize that the VA is that bad the translation is horrible and the same goes for the story. It's like they had junior high students translate it. The is interesting and the VA isn't too bad once you switch to surround sound and know that the actors had a poor manuscript...

Anyways I am rambling, back to the main point, yes it would be nice if a game would take a step above now and then but I don't expect that out of every new game and reviewers shouldn't either.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 01:51:20 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Liuke Rob, I'm in the middle of DQ8 at the moment and probably will wait on both Grandia and ToL. I eventually want to try both, despite the lukewarm reviews.

I'm in the middle of DQ8 and Wild Arms: Alter Code F, and have Wild Arms 4 ready to play, and I'll still be picking up Grandia 3, Tales of Legendia, and Tales of Phantasia.

And then at that point, I won't need another console game for the next 3 months or so. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 03:06:49 PM »

I keep saying that Tim... just keep on saying that...

There's no new games until my backlog is finished...There's no new games until my backlog is finished...There's no new games until my backlog is finished...There's no new games until my backlog is finished...There's no new games until my backlog is finished...There's no new games until my backlog is finished...There's no new games until my backlog is finished...There's no new games until my backlog is finished...

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 05:50:50 PM »

You're right, of course, Tebunker. The story very rarely changes from the classic formula. And even though it'd sometimes be nice to get something different, mainly, I keep on playing through the same story over, and over again, and enjoying it.

With regards to Baldur's Gate 2 and KOTOR, or hell, any RPG in general, I suppose it's not so much that the story is same old, same old. Rather, it's how they executed it in its telling.

There are times when I wish I'd know enough (or hell, any) Japanese to import an RPG. At least then, there wouldn't be such a danger of poor translation (except on my part), and I'm sure the VA'd be miles better as well. But now I'm starting to babble on too. So, really, bring on Grandia III. I'm buying it, despite.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 10:09:24 PM »

I am just about to start DQ8, but I am interested in this. I think I will play DQ8 and try to get this in trade or on sale in a month or two unless you guys tell me I need it now.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 10:57:29 PM »

I just read the IGN review, and honestly if anything my interest in the game went up. I am seriously thinking about picking this up. The graphics look phenomenal, especially in the battles, the battle system sounds awesome, and I actually think a 30 hour RPG would be great, since I dont know that I have time to beat a 100 hour plus RPG right now. I dont know if this means it will cut into dq8 time, but that battle system looks yummy!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 11:02:16 PM »

Honestly between reading about G3 and ToL, ToL seems to be the stronger game.  G3 doesn't sound... finished.  I think I'll wait on Grandia 3 Xtreme or whatever.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 11:34:50 PM »

Grandia III just sounds a little more linear than the norm, which I can swing. Sometimes I don't need a game with fifty million little extras to do, Tales, Baten Katios, DQ8 etc. etc.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 12:25:04 AM »

Yeah, you know, I like linearity.  The occasional sidequest is fine and I really like how both Shadow Hearts games have ultimate weapon/armor sidequests towards the very end of the game.  Romancing SaGa, though I'm enjoying it, is frustrating due to how it's not linear enough for my taste!

Cal - have you played Grandia II or Extreme?  Really, the battle system is what exemplifies the Grandia series.  And I enjoy eye-candy, and the battle system eye-candy looks outstanding.

You know you'll be picking it up this week along with me!   biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 01:14:40 AM »

Dep I played Grandia 2 a little bit but it was so long ago that I dont really remember it. Thats ok though, you will explain it to me on IM smile Either way, I dont mind the linearity either. Some structure never really hurts me in an RPG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: