http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:30:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto V  (Read 33728 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: September 17, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 17, 2013, 03:52:40 PM

Quote from: msduncan on September 17, 2013, 03:47:57 PM

Some of you pansies need to get a copy of the game and log into multiplayer so that I can beat you up and shoot you execution style for being pansies.

slywink

is there basic MP?  I thought it wouldn't work until the 1st.

Dang
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 17, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 17, 2013, 04:00:33 PM

I'm not sure I understand the backlash about bad guy characters.  Does this also apply to shows you watch as well?  I enjoy shows that are 'gritty' and show a side of life that I don't ever experience in real life...ditto games (though I've not played the GTA series...).

I'd prefer to play a GTA type game as a goodie two shoes character (Crackdown, for instance), and if I do play a bad guy I'd prefer to play as a complex conflicted bad guy, like Breaking Bad or kinda sorta what they attempted with GTA IV Niko. 

GTA has always been so over the top comical, though, that it doesn't bother me as much as the level of violence normally would.  It's like... GTA has been more like Kill Bill violence, where the fountains of gushing blood are so over the top it's hard to take seriously.  The more GTA veers toward very personal and realistic violence, the more uncomfortable I get.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 17, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the backlash about bad guy characters.  Does this also apply to shows you watch as well?  I enjoy shows that are 'gritty' and show a side of life that I don't ever experience in real life...ditto games (though I've not played the GTA series...).

I am okay with playing bad guys.  Mafia is actually one of my favorite games.  It's how they do it that can turn me off.  The over the top bad guy and nonstop swearing in GTA comes off as childish and just out for shock.  I also don't like the sex, it makes me feel like a loser for some reason when it pops on the screen (like it's just dumb and I don't want people thinking I get off on that sort of thing.  Weird, I know).  The over the top stuff cheapens the story and makes it not effective for me the viewer.  It can be done properly and great, though.  Goodfellas is probably my favorite movie of all time.  It was done with intrigue and somehow it is done with a sense of realism and documentary style (although it was buffed up for shock) which doesn't subtract from the story.  Being "true" I suppose ads to my acceptance of the movie as opposed to a game where I am playing the character, not merely observing, and is strictly fantasy.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #723 on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the backlash about bad guy characters.  Does this also apply to shows you watch as well?  I enjoy shows that are 'gritty' and show a side of life that I don't ever experience in real life...ditto games (though I've not played the GTA series...).
It really depends.  I have to be able to relate or like the characters, if I donít then why would I care what happens to them?  Itís possible for a bad character to have enough charisma to make me care about them but itís far harder.  If a character is outright despicable I will actively root for their demise, which is bad in a game in which I can repeatedly place them in front of oncoming traffic.  icon_biggrin

What disappoints me is that the GTA series never lets you choose the type of criminal you want to be.  If Iím skilled enough let me complete crimes without murdering innocents.  Let me become a Kingpin type character who can be stern instead of cruel, who eventually controls all the gangs of a city and holds them in check. 
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 17, 2013, 04:08:27 PM

I'd prefer to play a GTA type game as a goodie two shoes character (Crackdown, for instance), and if I do play a bad guy I'd prefer to play as a complex conflicted bad guy, like Breaking Bad or kinda sorta what they attempted with GTA IV Niko. 

I thought Sleeping Dogs had a great protagonist.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 17, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on September 17, 2013, 04:14:56 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on September 17, 2013, 04:08:27 PM

I thought Sleeping Dogs had a great protagonist.
same here.  it helped that the game had a focus on melee attacks and that you were playing an undercover cop.  you were penalized for killing cops in that game. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 17, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »

Watchdogs gets its dig at R*

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 17, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »

and today Saints Row 4 gets the free GAT V DLC (but only free today).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 17, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 17, 2013, 04:10:53 AM

Quote from: Turtle on September 17, 2013, 01:52:43 AM

Any impressions of the PS3 version? I had issues with GTA4s framerate and crappy aiming while on PS4.

The reports indicate that there is a small difference in shadow and foliage quality between the two versions, with the 360 coming out on top. However, the difference is microscopic compared to what we saw in GTA 4, and the framerate is identical between the two consoles.

Not sure what "reports" you're referring to, but Eurogamer reports the 360 as having blurrier street and foliage textures, and the PS3 having higher framerates during hectic moments.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 17, 2013, 04:49:17 PM »

I confirmed through Amazon that my copy left my local UPS facility this morning at 8am, which as I mentioned above probably means I'll be getting it at 7pm Roll Eyes. The irony is that I ordered it online to avoid having to trek to my local Gamestop on release day since I figured we'd be at the beach today instead. However, my wife wanted to go to the beach yesterday since today we are getting haircuts... 200 yards away from the Gamestop icon_frown. Best laid plans...

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #730 on: September 17, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 17, 2013, 04:35:09 PM

Any impressions of the PS3 version? I had issues with GTA4s framerate and crappy aiming while on PS4.

The reports indicate that there is a small difference in shadow and foliage quality between the two versions, with the 360 coming out on top. However, the difference is microscopic compared to what we saw in GTA 4, and the framerate is identical between the two consoles.

Not sure what "reports" you're referring to, but Eurogamer reports the 360 as having blurrier street and foliage textures, and the PS3 having higher framerates during hectic moments.

Reports from people who had played it, obviously. Why the quotation marks?

Oh, and thanks for posting that link. I guess the first two times it was posted in this very thread, or the time when I quoted parts of it and referred to it by name, weren't enough. slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 17, 2013, 05:03:25 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 17, 2013, 04:35:09 PM

cool, thanks for the link!  I was wondering about comparisons, not that it matters for me as the only other version I'll be getting is the PC one.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 17, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »

If it weren't for multiplayer -- I would have bought the PS3 version for sure.

Multiplayer with this group is too important to me though.    It's enough reason to sacrifice a few textures.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 17, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 17, 2013, 05:05:28 PM

Multiplayer with this group is too important to me though.    It's enough reason to sacrifice a few textures.

hell, it's important enough in this case that I will actually be picking up a live gold 3 month card once the MP hits.  first time in over a year since I've played mp and almost 9 months since I've played the 360 at all. 

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 17, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »

Quote from: Travis on September 17, 2013, 04:11:39 PM

I'm not sure I understand the backlash about bad guy characters.  Does this also apply to shows you watch as well?  I enjoy shows that are 'gritty' and show a side of life that I don't ever experience in real life...ditto games (though I've not played the GTA series...).

I am okay with playing bad guys.  Mafia is actually one of my favorite games.  It's how they do it that can turn me off.  The over the top bad guy and nonstop swearing in GTA comes off as childish and just out for shock.

Exactly.  I cringe every time.  It's done just so they can do it, and not done in any meaningful way.  The violence it's weird, I don't have a big issue because it's not real.  I don't feel like going out in the street and doing the same thing.  The cussing and the racial slurs, that's real, and it doesn't add anything to the game.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: September 17, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »

yay,i managed to get my photos from Social Club that i took in game of the glitches i mentioned earlier

apparently they are having the floor cleaned today

and then later on

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 17, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 17, 2013, 05:08:39 PM

Quote from: msduncan on September 17, 2013, 05:05:28 PM

hell, it's important enough in this case that I will actually be picking up a live gold 3 month card once the MP hits.  first time in over a year since I've played mp and almost 9 months since I've played the 360 at all. 
woohoo!

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 17, 2013, 06:43:39 PM »

Well, that was a bit of happy news... UPS just arrived with my game, 2:30pm instead of the expected 7pm. Maybe the driver is a gamer icon_biggrin. Installing disk 1 right now.

Bad news... the size of the print in the manual in the explanation of controls is so small I might need my reading classes... and I don't even use reading glasses. Getting old is hell, I tell you crybaby.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 17, 2013, 06:49:54 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 17, 2013, 06:43:39 PM

Well, that was a bit of happy news... UPS just arrived with my game, 2:30pm instead of the expected 7pm. Maybe the driver is a gamer icon_biggrin. Installing disk 1 right now.

Bad news... the size of the print in the manual in the explanation of controls is so small I might need my reading classes... and I don't even use reading glasses. Getting old is hell, I tell you crybaby.

Most of the controls i think you will be familiar with and there will be pop-ups(while you should be watching the road and avoiding cars disgust)throughout the early part of the game

I'm still a little gutted that they didn't make the manual into a city guidebook like they have done with the past GTA games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 17, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 17, 2013, 06:49:54 PM

I'm still a little gutted that they didn't make the manual into a city guidebook like they have done with the past GTA games

I downloaded the online manual for windows from the Rockstar site and it's pretty disappointing. Just what they already have on the website with an interactive map and some other little bits. Really a waste considering what you could have done with it.

Anyone pony up for the printed guide or the limited/deluxe version? This is my first GTA that I didn't get one.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 17, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »

you read the manual?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 17, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »

the College Humor review.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 17, 2013, 07:27:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 17, 2013, 06:57:17 PM

you read the manual?

Both pages!!  icon_wink

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 17, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 17, 2013, 07:17:11 PM

That's pretty good.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 17, 2013, 08:05:12 PM »

I liked that one too.  GTA V by Will Wright.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 17, 2013, 08:08:15 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 17, 2013, 05:49:43 AM

Quote from: Rumpy on September 16, 2013, 09:01:09 PM

I agree. I think that anybody by now should be able to figure out that those kind of characters come with the territory. Anybody expecting anything less has clearly not been paying attention all these years. Perhaps if that's what they want, they should go play Nintendo games.

Its a shame that we can't criticize a game or story anymore other than being told to "go play a kids game" these days.

Is this really what people find interesting? It IS a shame, because the world building seems incredibly talented and well-done, and if only they could tone it down a bit, it would probably be the best game ever. Its just a shame that it has to be ultra-violence, that I do no think any 11 year old ever should be exposed to, that is selling the game.

Anyways, I'll be over here playing some Nintendo game, I guess.

Well, I admit that was low of me, so I apologize. I was referring more to the tone of the games rather Nintendo games themselves and didn't mean to say that anyone couldn't criticize the game, like I said in my early post and I'm sorry if it came across that way. What was meant was that one shouldn't be expecting anything other than what it is at this point. It shouldn't really be any surprise considering the direction Rockstar's been going in. But I do agree that they could tone it down some. I cringed quite a bit during SA and felt it was quite overdone. My last Rockstar game was RDR.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 17, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 17, 2013, 04:02:05 PM

Well, if playing a Nintendo game wonít ruin you man credibility as someone in this thread seemed to suggest,( icon_lol) there is Lego City on the WiiU which is GTA with Lego people.  A few faults aside, it is pretty good and does more or less what you are looking for while managing to be quite hilarious on occasion.

We had a delightful time playing Lego City.  It was a great marriage of the GTA open world with missions system and a lighter setup so I could play it with the kids.  I am crossing my fingers they announce Lego City 2 soon but it usually takes a year or more. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 17, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »

Angry Birds gets into the gentle mocking of GTA V

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: September 17, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »

Well I've been playing this game for the last 7 1/2 hours or so, only interrupted by a microwave dinner (yeah, I specifically bought that to keep dinner short today). It has its hooks in me. It's also moving veeeery slowly with the plot, which suits me perfectly. The GTA games have always had a pedestrian pace, which is part of the charm. It feels like you could be playing them forever. My saves say 15% or so, but I don't know if that's how much of the main plot I've done, or how much of the content I've finished. Considering I've skipped almost all side content so far, it's probably the plot.

As much as I love playing this right now, I can't wait until I get to try it on the PS4 at some point in the future. The graphics are stellar for a PS3 game, but it's easy to see which parts could still be easily improved on a new platform (resolution, frame rate, texture size, view distance, AI range, and so on). The game feels very familiar after playing GTA 4, but still very fresh and a lot more "real". There's just something about it that makes everything feel much more solid and believable than before. This becomes particularly evident when you leave the confines of the city (which you don't have to do for hours and hours if you don't want to).

The driving model is also very fun, and really comes into its own right when you're driving on dirt roads or other rough terrain.

There are some neat references, both small and large, to previous main characters: (don't click unless you want a spoiler about what happens when the third playable character is introduced a few hours into this game)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Your mission planner for the heists mentions Nico (though not by name) at one point, and says that he's gone off the grid. That's the small one. The big one is that the first cutscene upon taking control of Trevor has him killing the main character from Lost and Damned and exterminating his biker gang, which was kind of sad.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow. smile
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 17, 2013, 09:42:07 PM »

I got in about 30 minutes before I had to leave for my haircut. I can't really comment on the story, but damn the driving is nice icon_biggrin, I'd say right in the middle between Forza 4 and Burnout Paradise City, both of which I just played recently.

I installed the Install Disk and ran the Play Disk in the DVD drive, it was noisy icon_neutral. I picked up a 16GB USB drive at Staples for $10 USD after the haircut and I'm installing the Play Disk right now. I'll see how it plays.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: September 17, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »

really curious if this thing could fit on an 8gb usb drive as I have one in little use.  I'd need to clear up the 16gb drive if not. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 17, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 17, 2013, 09:48:17 PM

really curious if this thing could fit on an 8gb usb drive as I have one in little use.  I'd need to clear up the 16gb drive if not. 

from what I understand the 360 file thingamabobber stuff will eat up about 512mb of that 8 gig, and the second disc install size is over 7 gigs, so it will be close.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 17, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »

With the 16GB USB drive it's quieter without the DVD drive whining away, and I think, but can't swear to it, that the graphics do look a bit better.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 17, 2013, 10:24:01 PM »

got disc one installed.  checked out the game for a bit, but to me the aiming controls seem a bit sluggish.  I'll have to check the settings to see if I can adjust the sensitivity once I'm done installing the second disc.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 17, 2013, 10:24:49 PM »

Two system updates later and I'm ready ... to download/install the game...

My 360 hasn't been online since the end of May.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 17, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 17, 2013, 10:24:49 PM

Two system updates later and I'm ready ... to download/install the game...

My 360 hasn't been online since the end of May.

Ya I made sure to have mine updated this weekend just for this.  I'll install the game during dinner and then wait till the wife and kids go to bed to play
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 17, 2013, 11:12:43 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 17, 2013, 04:02:05 PM

Well, if playing a Nintendo game wonít ruin you man credibility as someone in this thread seemed to suggest...

*sigh* That's not at all what I meant. Poor choice of words on my part. Sounded to me like the author of the article was expecting more of a lighthearted tone (tried to use Nintendo as an example as I was in a rush), which is surprising considering all the negative associations this game series has had in the past. His surprise was almost comical, almost as if he had been living under a rock, and expecting something else entirely than what the series has offered as of late. That maybe it wasn't the game he was really wanting to play.

Never meant for my words to come across like nobody could criticize it or that anyone should go play Nintendo games if they didn't like it, and for that I apologize. Again, poor choice of words on my part.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:17:55 PM by Rumpy » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 17, 2013, 11:31:08 PM »

so... upping the sensitivity worked well with aiming.... and it makes driving feel too loose.  too bad they didn't put in separate settings for on foot and in car.  got to get used to the new driving model, after playing Forza Horizons a bunch lately it just doesn't feel right.

Because I can,
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: September 18, 2013, 12:04:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 17, 2013, 11:31:08 PM

so... upping the sensitivity worked well with aiming.... and it makes driving feel too loose.  too bad they didn't put in separate settings for on foot and in car.  got to get used to the new driving model, after playing Forza Horizons a bunch lately it just doesn't feel right.

I agree.  Tried the same thing.  The first car I drove, I thought the handling was atrocious, maybe it was just that car but I didn't like it.  The second car was a bit better so it will take some time to get used to the driving model.  I don't like the movement of the character, they still feel a bit like a tank, it's just not smooth.  The cover system worked ok, I did have a couple of instances where it went wonky.       

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 18, 2013, 12:12:05 AM »

This is weird. I just started up after a complete shutdown for dinner. I had saved in Franklin's bedroom. When I re-started the game I was out in the city, blocks away from home. When I went to the menu and loaded my last manual save, I was still in the same place, well away from home. Anyone else experience this?

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: