http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 06:38:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto V  (Read 36072 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2012, 05:46:16 PM »

It's common for main character avatars to have no personality at all.

The three leads from GTA IV (Niko Bellic, Johnny Klebitz, and Luis Fernando Lopez) are all very different in their approach to NPCs and the world around them. 

Niko seems to be bemused by most everyone he meets.  He also loves his cousin, but finds him frustrating and dangerous in his naivete.  He seems to be on a very slow boil.

Johnny, on the other hand, is a hot head, but he's surrounded by people who are even more volatile.  He tries to be reasonable, but since he comes from a world of violence, that is often his solution.  He wants to feel a connection of brotherhood, but is constantly betrayed.  His disappointment has him frequently seething.

Luis feels trapped at times by his role and is incredibly conflicted by his two worlds.  The high-end nightclub scene versus the tight neighborhood where he grew up.  It doesn't help that people from both sides are constantly reminding him of the divide.  Also, he really loves his mother.

I haven't even talked about CJ from San Andreas.

This is just scratching the surface of the work that has been put into these characters.  They are not blank slates.  They react to things that are said and done to them.  Making that work in a game where you can do anything and have your choices work either way is an achievement.  Yes, the supporting characters do a lot of the fleshing out of the world, but they are also there to help define who the main characters are.

Not to mention the incredible, diverse ethnic backgrounds of each of these characters.  And it's not as simple as saying, "A Russian, a jew and a Dominican" - the cultures of each of these characters play a role in the story and background flavor.  And they are not played for stereotypes.  Time has been spent trying to make the backgrounds of each character ring true and be important.

In no way do I think it's a stretch to say these are rich and complex characters.  The amount of effort that goes into making them so in a game that could have just been "Hey, go blow shit up and beat a hooker" is, frankly, impressive as hell.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »

You'll notice that all of my generic descriptions of the characters match the ones you listed above. slywink
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »

my main point is, in my opinion, there is a sameness, a been there done that's washing over this series.  I was hoping that this one would add something new, and I m not sure it will. 

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 08, 2012, 05:52:26 PM

You'll notice that all of my generic descriptions of the characters match the ones you listed above. slywink

You'll notice that those aren't generic. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 08, 2012, 06:33:52 PM

Here's what I said:

They're all the silent, coolheaded, easy-to-like, intelligent, old-fashioned, honor-bound type.

These are all generic because they are shared by every one of the main characters mentioned.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 08, 2012, 06:39:33 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 08, 2012, 06:33:52 PM

Here's what I said:

They're all the silent, coolheaded, easy-to-like, intelligent, old-fashioned, honor-bound type.

These are all generic because they are shared by every one of the main characters mentioned.

Well, you could also have said, "They are all males between the ages of 20 and 50 and are somehow involved in crime".

Your generic statement may apply to them, but it doesn't make them the same.

And just to nitpick, I specifically said that they are not all coolheaded.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 08, 2012, 06:48:57 PM

Well, you could also have said, "They are all males between the ages of 20 and 50 and are somehow involved in crime".

No I couldn't, because almost none of the secondary characters in Rockstar games that fit your criteria will fit mine.

Just face it, Rockstar designs their main characters in a very specific way, even if they have different goals and motivations.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2012, 07:20:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 08, 2012, 06:57:13 PM

No I couldn't, because almost none of the secondary characters in Rockstar games that fit your criteria will fit mine.

Just face it, Rockstar designs their main characters in a very specific way, even if they have different goals and motivations.

???

But the different goals and motivations alone make them unique.  Add to that all of the other things like their backgrounds and such and they grow further and further away from the vessels you describe.  They are absolutely not the same characters.  They are not bland, and they do not just echo the player's thoughts where necessary.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2012, 07:57:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 08, 2012, 07:20:38 PM

???

But the different goals and motivations alone make them unique.  Add to that all of the other things like their backgrounds and such and they grow further and further away from the vessels you describe.  They are absolutely not the same characters.  They are not bland, and they do not just echo the player's thoughts where necessary.

They behave in exactly the same way! I first noticed this in Red Dead Redemption, and then I paid attention to it in the two expansions for GTA 4 and began to see the pattern. Every single one of them stays silent rather than say too much. Every one is intelligent, the voice of reason among the people they hang around with. They are always tough in the face of danger or other people, making weaker people back down merely by looking dangerous. They are surrounded by douchebags who are unable to see each other's douchebaggery, but the only one who can see straight through everyone's personality defects is the main character. They are inherently peaceful but get forced into a life of vice. They don't do drugs, despite being surrounded by people who do and even dealing it in some cases. They never try to fuck over their employees, but can be whirled up in other people's attempts to do so, or even have their employee fuck them over. They are loyal to a fault, always going on about family or honor. If they tell jokes, they are always bitingly sarcastic. Most of the time they don't tell jokes. They move calmly, preferring to stand still and observe rather than get involved too soon. When they do act, they act with a vengeance that makes other people fear them.

Few of the NPCs in the games possess these traits to any degree, but the main characters always do. This is one of the reasons L.A. Noire was so refreshing. For once Rockstar released a game with a protagonist that was more (or less) than people expected. The controversy that character caused should be explanation enough for why Rockstar tends to stick with the safe choices.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2012, 08:17:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 08, 2012, 04:02:52 PM

The secondary characters are rich and often complex. The main character is usually just a vessel to present these secondary characters through, which is why they give him the character traits I mentioned above.

I hadn't thought of it this way before, but that's a great way to describe it. It's like many a comedy movie or TV show, where the protagonist is fairly normal so as to be in contrast with all the wacky other characters.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »

Just saw this over at BluesNews

Grand Theft Auto V Details

[3:50 pm ET]
GameInformer.com has the promised teaser for the December cover story of Game Informer magazine about Grand Theft Auto V (the issue is now available digitally and the print version is expected in a week). Word is: "Over the course of 18 pages (our biggest cover story yet!), we introduce the three main protagonists, discuss the groundbreaking way you use them, and explore the reimagined Los Santos Ė the biggest open world Rockstar has created to date. The massive feature also divulges and dissects many more aspects of the game fans won't want to miss." Kotaku has some of the skinny from the article (thanks nin), including word that Los Santos is larger than Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas, and Grand Theft Auto IV combined, and areas to be explored will include wilderness, a military base, and the ocean floor. There is also a clarification that this is the same world as Grand Theft Auto IV and Liberty City, but not the earlier installments in the open world action series.

"...including word that Los Santos is larger than Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas, and Grand Theft Auto IV combined" That's pretty large  nod

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 08, 2012, 07:57:08 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 08, 2012, 07:20:38 PM

???

They behave in exactly the same way! I first noticed this in Red Dead Redemption, and then I paid attention to it in the two expansions for GTA 4 and began to see the pattern. Every single one of them stays silent rather than say too much. Every one is intelligent, the voice of reason among the people they hang around with. They are always tough in the face of danger or other people, making weaker people back down merely by looking dangerous. They are surrounded by douchebags who are unable to see each other's douchebaggery, but the only one who can see straight through everyone's personality defects is the main character. They are inherently peaceful but get forced into a life of vice. They don't do drugs, despite being surrounded by people who do and even dealing it in some cases. They never try to fuck over their employees, but can be whirled up in other people's attempts to do so, or even have their employee fuck them over. They are loyal to a fault, always going on about family or honor. If they tell jokes, they are always bitingly sarcastic. Most of the time they don't tell jokes. They move calmly, preferring to stand still and observe rather than get involved too soon. When they do act, they act with a vengeance that makes other people fear them.

Few of the NPCs in the games possess these traits to any degree, but the main characters always do. This is one of the reasons L.A. Noire was so refreshing. For once Rockstar released a game with a protagonist that was more (or less) than people expected. The controversy that character caused should be explanation enough for why Rockstar tends to stick with the safe choices.

But you've basically just described almost every protagonist in the history of pulp media.  And it still doesn't change the fact that they all are different in personality, background, approach to situations and characters.  It's the reason these moral compass characters have been the go to for millenia.

And of course the characters are the moral straight arrows.  Look at the shit Rockstar got for letting characters drive drunk in GTA IV.  Even though one of the take-aways from that sequence was that driving drunk was a one-way ticket to a complete train-wreck, people were up in arms.  Each of these games is a political minefield, no matter the age rating.  And yet, it's not like they're playing it safe, either.

Again, they put a hell of a lot of work fleshing out the anti-hero template each time so that they are not all the same.  They could have had a voiceless, blank protagonist each and every game, but they've done so much more than that.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »

CVG

Spelling mistakes/typo's are CVG's,not mine(for once)

I have bolded,just to separate them better and it be somewhat easier to read

-GTA V "evolves nearly every mechanic, features the biggest world in series history and introduces a new technology that radically changes the way players control the game.

-Three main characters are called Michael, Trevor and Franklin

-Michael is retired, early 40s, a highly successful former bank robber. Retired in luxury after making a deal with the FIB. He's in the witness protection program, he hates his wife who spends his m oney and hates him too, he doesn't understand his two teenage kids Tracy and Jimmy, he's forced back into the game as his money is about to run out

-Trevor is a career criminal, early 40s, drug user governed by his desires, prone to violent outbursts and destructive rampages, a loose cannon, former military pilot, used to work a bank jobs with Michael back in the day, always up for a heist

-Franklin, repo man, mid 20s, a young and ambitious hustler, works for an Armenian luxury car dealership that sells cars to those who can't afford them, when they can't pay up he plays repo man. He stumbles into Michael while looking for a hustle.

-A quick menu can be called up to switch characters, the camera pulls away into a Google Earth-style vantage point and then drops into
wherever the chosen character is

-Trevor is described as having a "maniacal personality"

-Trevor is in Blaine County, a barren, rundown desert region filled with bikers, meth heads and other people from the fringes of society

-Characters can "flick off" people and people react differently depending on the area. In a rough-and-tumble
neighborhood the reaction will be different from someone in a posh boutique store

-Rockstar's playtester pours a trail of gas away from a vehicle and drops a zippo lighter on it, the flame travels back and causes a huge explosion

-Franklin is seen on Vespucci Beach looking for a car he's to reposess

-Waterfront activities include a muscle beach gym

-He drops the top of the car once he gets in

-Ammu-Nation is back

-Each character has his own personality motivation and skillset

-They go about their daily business when you're not in control, so you might find them in surprising situations when you take control of them again

-Each character has a fleshed out story arc

-Complicated, multitiered heist missions inspired by GTA IV's Three Leaf Clover are "peppered" into the game
Heists are a big theme

-Rockstar is adressing mission diversity in pairing characters, it showed off a mission involving all three characters

-The trio need to perform a snatch-and-grab to get the FIB off their bakcs

-Trevor berates security agent guarding a chopper, Michael urges him to calm down but he keeps running his mouth, he only agreed to do the mission in exchange for help springing his friend Brad out of jail.

-Franklin isn't to comfortable with Trevor

-The three change outfits and rapell down the side of a skyscraper, when they arrive players take control of Michael rapelling down, the mechanic is reminiscent of Rainbow Six Vegas

-The musical score seems to react to the action

-They extract the target by holding him hostage with one arm while pointing a gun at interrogators with the other, at that point an icon appears giving the player the option to switch character

-You can stay as Michael and try and pick of the enemies or select franklin, switch to his perspective and snipe them from afar.

-Transition is smooth and camera angle helps you adjust

-During the chase through Los Santos the player can switch to Trevor to pilot the getaway, snipe the other pilots as Franklin, or fire an assault rifle out the back of a chopper as Michael

-Rockstar is leveraging cinematic tricks learned from Max Payne 3

-Rockstar thinks GTA V is its strongest plotted game yet

-Most of the gameplay mechanics have been built from the ground up

-Cars hold better to the ground, Rockstar thought they were a bit "boat like" in GTA 4, it feels more like a racing game

-Shooting has evolved "a long way" in terms of feel and mechanics

-Melee is better, "it's never going to be as big a deal as shooting" but Rockstar "wants to make it feel really fun and strong"

-Sam Houser and lead artis Aaron Garbut were both really interested in doing a proper LA, which R* felt it didn't do with San Andreas

-The world is described as "the largest open-world playground in Rockstar history"

-R* chose one large city over three small ones to create the best possible experience and realise its proper version of LA

-World is bigger than RDR, San Andreas and GTA4 combined

-The ocean floor is fully detailed and can be explored

-Confirmed vehicles include BMX, mountain bikes, road bikes, dirt bikes, huge variety of cars and trucks, helicopters, planes, ATVs, Jet Skis, planes, helis

-R* has big plans for side-activities, eith sophisticated minigames in the vein of RDR's poker planned

-Each character will have unique hobbies only they can do

-No RPG-style customisation as the three characters have specific skills and traits

-No weight loss and gain as they pose a technical challenge pertaining to scale of the character. It was easer in San Andreas becasue standard def visuals were forgiving

-Entertainment inside intertainment is back in GTAV, so expect more cartoons and other forms of in-game media

-Outdoor activites mentioned include yoga, triathlons, Jet Skiing, base jumping, tennis, and a full golf game on a full golf course

-Houser doesn't think there will be romances as it wouldn't work

-Each protagonist has a set of friends to interact with

-Lamar: Franklin's friend, a good sort of crazy. He's very funny.

-Jimmy: Michael's friend, lazy pot smoking 20 year old, they have a confused father-son relationship.

-Ron: Trevor's best friend, paranoiac conspiracy theorist living in a trailer

-Amanda: Michael's wife, he's been awful to her, she's a strong personality, bound to him but they can't stand each other

-Familiar faces from GTAV and Episodes from Liberty City may resurface, just not major ones like Niko or anyone from PS2 era.

-PS2 era characters are in their own universe, GTAV takes place in a HD universe, they don't co-exist

-CJ and Tommy are more like mythical characters in the GTAV world

-R* is learning from criticisms about its economy system and will have a fun, vibrant system. No properties, but lots of other stuff

-Mobile phone concept is back, but you won't be getting calls all the time, it's mainly used for activities

-Random encounters with citizens are coming back in a big way

-The dynamic mission system is similar to that of RDR, examples given include helping broken down motorists, figuring out the cause of a pile of dead bodies, being opportunistic and ripping off cash vans, or being a nice guy and catching muggers

-Multiplayer reveal is coming later

-There won't be any "major" celebrity names cast as main protagonists

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »

New Screens

in the spoiler tags(only in there to save space)

Spoiler for Hiden:

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »

The game world is so large because its to accommodate flying

CVG

"We wanted to make a big place, as much as anything, to allow you to fly," he said. "A lot of the decisions, we're talking about them here on a philosophical level, but they're also practical decisions, too: we're making a game. You have to understand the medium.

"On an obvious level we wanted somewhere big so you can fly properly - we have a lot of missions that involve flying, in helicopters or whatever, it was logical. Also, Jet skis work better around LA than they would in New York.

"We're using the environment to let us have toys we couldn't have had otherwise," Houser added. "And equally, we're using the story and environment to introduce missions that can be more extreme. In some ways we wanted the game to have a larger-than-life Hollywood feel; the stories we heard in LA, we wanted to capture them in the game. If the place isn't informing what we're doing, we're not using it correctly."

I can't say i am too thrilled about "we have a lot of missions that involve flying, in helicopters"...i didn't get on with The Ballad of Gay Tony because it seemed every mission was flying that damn unflyable helicopter and i gave up on the game and never went back

there is also this about the musical score for GTA5
CVG...again

"We thought [we] could do something interesting if we scored missions in GTA," explained Houser. "Obviously we didn't want to lose radio stations, so we thought we'd do both.

"Exactly how we're going to balance between the two we're not entirely sure yet - we're still trying to figure that out. But we have some very cool people doing the score, different people, who will work in the same stem-based system that we used in the other games".

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »

GTA V trailer supposed to be streamed by IGN today

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »

Here it is on YouTube.  Frankly, I can't see myself liking any of those characters.   icon_confused

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2012, 05:36:07 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 14, 2012, 05:28:27 PM

Here it is on YouTube.  Frankly, I can't see myself liking any of those characters.   icon_confused

I get the same feeling.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2012, 05:53:03 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 14, 2012, 05:36:07 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 14, 2012, 05:28:27 PM

Here it is on YouTube.  Frankly, I can't see myself liking any of those characters.   icon_confused

I get the same feeling.

I got the same feeling for Niko before IV was released,but i liked him when playing the game

The Black kid looks like i can like him straight off the bat,don't have a problem with him

the middle aged Divorcee,well his nagging ex-wife(guessing)will make me feel sorry for the sucker no matter how great his life is,the relationship in the trailer with the kid made me feel as though he is a little out of touch/time with today's youth(and who isn't?)

It's the scruffy/crazy looking one that as of right now looks like he will be the hardest for me to like,but again..i am gonna go out on a limb that we are all gonna love him the most,everyone loves the crazy fuckers in video games(Remember Brucie in GTA4??...or even Seth from RDR)

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »

Looks great to me.

I liked the See, Speak and Hear No Evil shot at the end.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2012, 09:25:42 PM »

holy shit... OK, I can wait for the PC version: I want that game in my 360 NOW!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »

Interesting Q and A here from Game Informer

Can you play as one of the three characters throughout the whole game, or do you have to switch? Could I play it three times through and have a different perspective of the story each time?

You cannot play the entire game with just one character. Think of the narrative like a movie with several lead characters. Sometimes youíre only watching one of them, and other times they are all in the same scene. This is basically how Grand Theft Auto V is modeled. Sometimes you have to do a solo mission with Trevor, Michael, or Franklin to advance the story. Other times you will have two or three of the leads working together on a mission. When you are in those missions, however, many times you will have a choice of who you control.

Will my friend be able to control one of the three protagonists during campaign play or is all co-op separate from the story?

Rockstar told us explicitly that there is no co-op in the campaign. We canít speak to whether or not a standalone cooperative mode exists.

While being able to play as three different characters and viewing a mission from three different angles, will you have to choose what character you play as at the beginning of the mission or will the transition happen organically throughout the missions?

In the mission we saw, the player started as Trevor flying the helicopter to the IAA headquarters, and was forced to switch to Michael to rappel down the skyscraper. Once he crashed through the window and grabbed the target, the player was offered the opportunity to either stay as Michael or switch to Franklin, who was positioned with a sniper rifle in an adjacent building. After Michael got back in the helicopter, the player had the option to either fly the chopper as Trevor or shoot at the pursuers as Michael or Franklin. Thatís how Rockstar chose to build this mission, but the system affords them the ability to set up missions however they want.

What happens when you kill a protagonist you're not playing with?

Because all of these characters play integral roles in the narrative, Rockstar isnít going to let you just off them on a whim.

Does Michael have like a house that you can walk into and find your children lounging around and can you interact with them?

Yes, you can walk into the house and interact with your family.

How far will the customization go in regards to weaponry, cars, and characters?

Rockstar didnít speak to us about weapon or car customization, but Dan Houser did mention that players could buy new clothes for the protagonists.

Who will you play in single-player when you free roam?

You can play as whichever character you prefer. I recommend checking out all of them rather than sticking with just one, because each of them has unique side activities.

The article says that each character has his own location, like Trevor is from Blaine County. Does that mean that each character is limited to playing in just that area?

Each character lives in a different part of Los Santos, but their movements are by no means restricted. You could hop in a plane and fly anywhere.

Do you think personally that the switching works and still gives you that connection to the character?

Given Rockstarís sterling reputation for creating compelling characters, Iím not worried about feeling disconnected just because there are three protagonists. Episodes of Liberty City worked fantastically, did it not? Michael, Franklin, and Trevor each bring something different to the table, and I hope allowing players to explore the city with these different perspectives is going to keep the game fresh. And since you're playing as a combination of all three Ė not just one, or all three all the time Ė you're learning about these characters as you go. Meeting a shared acquaintance as one guy might give you more info about one of the other guys you play as, for instance.

I would like to know more about the dogs. How can we interact with animals? Will we have our own dog?

None of the characters interacted with animals in the demo so we canít speak to that functionality just yet, but we know that Franklin has a dog, call Chop.

How does the movement of characters work? Is it still the same or have they changed something?

GTA V uses the same Natural Motion Euphoria animation engine that powered GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, and Max Payne 3.

Will the whole game world be open from the beginning, or will it open up as the story progresses like in previous GTA games and Red Dead?

Because Michael, Trevor, and Franklin live in different parts of Los Santos, the entire map is open for players to explore from the get-go.

Will Las Venturas and/or San Fiero be in GTA V?

No. Rockstar chose to focus on making one proper city, Los Santos, rather than splitting that effort up into creating three.

What made Rockstar decide to take GTA V to Los Santos, and not Vice City or Liberty City again?

Iíll let Dan Houser field this question: ďSam, my brother, more than anyone, but also the lead artist Aaron Garbut, were both really interested in the idea of doing a proper Los Angeles. We felt we hadn't done that with San Andreas Ė which were these very small, sketch-like cities. Los Angeles and the surrounding countryside would be very interesting, giving us good themes to play on and lots of good different gameplay environments Ė something that could allude to aspects of IV and allude to aspects of San Andreas, but still feel very fresh and different from both of themÖThe geography you could get outside Los Angeles is spectacular. The contrast between desert/rural Southern California, inland from L.A. and just a bit north, compared to L.A., gives you a great microcosm of red state/blue state theme Ė different vibes culturally as much as geographically. I think that was something we really felt would be good about this location.Ē

Will Los Santos be technically similar to San Andreas in terms of being a state, with cities inside of it?

If youíve ever been to the Los Angeles metro area you know that so many of the cities Ė from Santa Monica and Beverly Hills to Compton and Hollywood Ė feel quite different from one another. Expect that same type of diversity in GTA V, plus some outlier communities sprinkled throughout the game world.

From what you saw, did Los Santos, the city itself (not including mountains/countryside/etc.) appear bigger than GTA IVís Liberty City?

Los Santos definitely covers more square footage, just as the sprawling Los Angeles metro area does compared to New York City. But just like the real cities, if youíre wondering about the density of the downtown area, Los Santos proper is smaller than Liberty City.

Suffice to say, the game seems pretty big in regards to the map size and the amount that is rendered at once, so how well does the game run?

The game ran perfectly fine when we saw the demo. No noticeable lag, even when switching between characters. Thatís a positive sign this far out for an open-world game, many of which are a mess right up to the final few weeks of development.

The world may be big, but just how much will there be to do in it? Will it be big just for sake of it or will there be some use to sections?

Rockstar wanted to make a large world to make flight compelling again, but donít worry about not having stuff to do. The developers are bringing over the amazing dynamic mission structure featured in Red Dead Redemption to keep players engaged while they explore the game world. Since the lead characters live in very different areas of the map, live switching between them is a quick way to get across the map and discover what lies in a new area.

Will the missions have more variety in them? It seemed like a lot of the missions in GTA IV were just drive to location, take out target, drive back to safe location, repeat.

Rockstar is doing a lot to change up the missions in GTA V. Some missions will only feature one playable character, whereas others will feature two or three. This should give the missions a healthy amount of variety. A lot of the missions will be prepping for and pulling off complex heists. The switch mechanic also lets Rockstar skip over the flat spots in missions to always keep you in the action.

Will you be allowed to swim underwater?

Yes, and Rockstar intimated that there are plenty of underwater areas to explore.

When did the development for GTA V start?

Rockstar started thinking about the next location it wanted to tackle shortly after GTA IV came out, around the same time it was working on Episodes of Liberty City.

I think I speak for everyone when I ask this...will there be boats and hos?

It wouldnít be a proper take on Los Angeles without boats or hos, so yes, you can expect plenty of both.

GTA IV really did a great job of immersing you in the game world with little things like the television and Internet. Are these going to make a return in GTA V?

Yes, both are returning. Dan Houser said you will likely be able to access the Internet directly from your smartphone, and they have some great plans for the television shows.

When you mentioned Trevor lighting a truck on fire with a gas can, is that something for a mission or is there more interaction with objects in the world?

Iím sure a mission or two may require you to light something on fire, but Trevor is the kind of psychopath who revels in destruction during his free time as well. Youíll be able to get your pyromaniac fix whenever you want.

How will the inventory system be handled with three protagonists?

Right now, each character has his own inventory and money, but Dan Houser explained that this is something Rockstar normally addresses late in the day so the system could change before the gameís release next spring.

Is there a trophy for beating at least 500 hookers to death for their money?

Probably not. But if you need a trophy for that, here is your prize.

Is GTA V going to take a more serious and realistic direction, considering competition from games like Saints Row, or will it continue with its bold history of crude humor and somewhat crazy sandbox action?

GTA V definitely contains the scintillating parody of American culture for which the series is known.

Is Carl Johnson in the game?

No. None of the characters from GTA III, Vice City, or San Andreas are in the game. However, a couple of familiar faces from GTA IV may visit the west coast.

In the screenshots Game Informer released I saw what looked like an Audi R8 as well as a Corvette and a Porsche 911. Does Rockstar have the licensing from real car manufacturers for GTA V?

No, Rockstar isnít interested in licensing real cars for its parody world.

Will there be races?

Yes. GTA V has all kinds of races from the looks of it, including dirt bikes and triathlons.

From what you've seen, how was the game in terms of humor?

The demo we saw was focused on a rather serious mission (breaching the offices of the IAA, which is the GTA equivalent to the CIA), but it seems like Trevorís madness and Michaelís family dynamic provide ample opportunity for comic relief. From flicking off people as heís driving down the street to busting the balls of the security agent guarding a helicopter, Trevorís unhinged antics brought a smile to our faces. Television, radio programs, and the Internet return as well, each of which was a great source of humor in previous games.

Is the Wanted system different in this game?

When I asked Dan Houser about this in the interview, he said he wasnít exactly sure how it would be changing yet. They are tweaking it a bit, but probably not much.

How many discs we should expect for GTA V for the Xbox 360?

I asked if the game would require multiple discs, but Rockstar didnít answer. Optimization often happens later in the development, so perhaps this isnít determined yet.

Will this game be welcoming to first-time players of the series?

Since there is no over-arching story that ties the different Grand Theft Auto games together, you donít need to come into GTA V with any previous knowledge. The narrative is entirely self-contained.

Is GTA V going to be the last GTA game in the Grand Theft Auto Series?

I would put the odds of this being the last Grand Theft Auto game at one in a billion. The series is still massively popular, the Housers and the rest of the talented team at Rockstar are still in their prime, and the format of the game is such that they wonít be running out of new locations any time soon.

Will there be a Wii U or PC version?

As of right now, Rockstar says Grand Theft Auto V is coming to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next spring. The company has announced no plans to bring it to PC, Wii U, or any other platform, but as we all know, that could change down the line. Rockstar does have a history of bringing GTA to the PCÖ

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »

a new batch of screens were released

I like this one. 

interesting.  I hope they use this to hide stuff underwater

so you don't have to face these in person

and a shot of the three player characters

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 24, 2012, 05:16:40 PM

so... jet races anyone? biggrin

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »

so,not going in the water then Tongue...as with FC3,the deep blue sea doesn't sit well with me and its weird that i have the same fear in video games..and then you stick great big monsters in there...

and as much as i like that picture of the Dog riding shotgun,i hope we are not in for some crappy 'hilarious' dog scenes like K9/Turner and Hooch

That Plane picture is pretty cool of how much it shows in one shot,as it shows in the foreground a big civilian type passenger plane,middle of the picture it shows a Jet and in the background it shows a Zeppelin ...hopefully meaning we can fly them all,and we have already seen bi-planes and helicopters,it would be cool playing multiplayer free roam,there will be all kinds of flying machines everywhere(apart from the one bastard who flies the jet shooting everyone down)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2013, 11:05:50 PM »

sacrť bleu!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2013, 03:00:17 AM »

certainly wouldn't surprise me,i think its been number 1 on the Live charts that Major Nelson posts every now and then for PC(GFW) for a while now

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »

9-17-2013.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »

gutted,but i am fine with this,i know Rockstar games are usually always worth the wait

RDR had quite a few delays if i remember rightly,and that is one of my favourite releases this gen

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 31, 2013, 06:42:35 PM

gutted,but i am fine with this,i know Rockstar games are usually always worth the wait

RDR had quite a few delays if i remember rightly,and that is one of my favourite releases this gen

GTA IV also had a pretty decent delay if I remember right.  more polish is good, but the delay still sucks.  Now Bioshock Infinite is my only 'must buy' with a definite release date until fall, so looks like my backlog will be getting some decent attention.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »

new screens

No Brakes,throttle,whatever?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:57:34 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2013, 06:03:11 PM »

needs more dominatrix's wielding giant purple dildos attacking a guy in a hot dog suit who is trying to escape on a hover bike biggrin

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2013, 04:14:47 PM »

CVG has pictures from the upcoming GTA V Live Action Commercial

few more in the link(although two are the same)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:17:08 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »

sorry for double post

Video of the cult of GTA5....looks like the Epsilon Program is back(from GTA:SA)

I would say the video really starts off at about 1 minute 30 seconds Tongue
Fact V: Everyone is related to everyone,except people with red hair-Fact!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xHVfBTuJ7ic

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2013, 01:26:58 PM »

Sorry for the announcement for the announcement,but there will be 3 new trailers coming next Tuesday

One for each main character,Michael,Franklin and Trevor
http://www.rockstargames.com/V/

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2013, 11:03:21 PM »

when you see it it'll ring your bell:

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2013, 01:12:11 AM »

breaking bad yo
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2013, 03:02:01 PM »

Here you go

Michael,Franklin and Trevor-3 Min 52 secs

That's 3 trailers in one big trailer..i think i liked Michaels better,but that may be because of the soundtrack,Radio Ga Ga

it was more interesting looking at the surroundings and the playground we will be causing havok in than the 'cut scenes'

Or if you would prefer as 3 separate videos

Michael-1 min 17 secs

Franklin-1 min 4 secs

Trevor-1 min 9 secs
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:22:13 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »

man i really want this, but with two young kids in the house i'm not sure that's going to be a great idea
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: