http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 08:37:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (DS)  (Read 4536 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2009, 06:44:19 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 21, 2009, 06:33:45 PM

Haven't had a chance to play in the last couple of days.
I haven't seen one of the cameras yet.
Hoping to get back to it soon, but now that I've made Galactrix playable on my PC (take that, you damned leapgates!) I've been playing it nearly nonstop.

i can send you the link of the cameras i have seen so far.  (great feature by the way)

closest one i can remember is behind a gas station one block S and one block W of your starting garage, near an armor pickup.  i think that was the gas station you are directed to in one of the early missions btw.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2009, 09:17:41 PM »

I'll take a look for that one, just so I know what to look out for as I drive around.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2009, 07:25:09 AM »

Actually played this today (after a full battery charge last night) and drained it til it was red.  Hasn't happened since Chrono Trigger and before that, who knows when!

Fantastic, fantastic game.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2009, 09:23:07 AM »

Both children have ds's and till now I have had no temptation whatsoever to buy a ds game. This game changed that. Checked out the reviews on metacritics and frankly the game is getting incredible reviews.

Bought the game and its all well deserved, loving it and now I have a game where I can borrow the children's DS's when I have train journeys to do etc.

Excellent stuff and recommended for +18's

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2009, 03:08:36 PM »

I have several DS games I am working through at the moment such as:

Phoenix Wright 1 - On the last case now
Chrono Trigger - Just started and I rescued the princess
Hotel Dusk - still in the wrapper
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - Barely scratched the surface in this game

and now I'm going to pick this game up before it becomes hard to find.  Another game to my backlog....

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2009, 03:15:19 PM »

Huh? Why would you expect a GTA game to become hard-to-find?  It's hardly an indie game.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »

What are you supposed to do if you find one of the cameras? I saw it on the building but could neither find a way on top of the building nor target the camera. Am I supposed to be able to destroy it?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2009, 07:18:32 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on March 22, 2009, 06:48:12 PM

What are you supposed to do if you find one of the cameras? I saw it on the building but could neither find a way on top of the building nor target the camera. Am I supposed to be able to destroy it?

One of the early missions explains it for you.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Basically, you use malatovs on 'em.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2009, 03:09:25 AM »

you can get your way on to the roof in some situations, but i haven't found a camera that way before i destroyed it, so i can't confirm you can smash it with guns/melee.

some of the missions have been pretty damn awesome.  i had one using an ambulance which was fun and used the touch screen for a new take on the usual 'save the dying man' mission.

best one though involved helping a trigger happy maniac in the bed of a pickup truck as we drove around town looking for enemies. 

i'm just waiting on a tip off for a coke buyer as i have been accumulating a large supply of it pretty cheap. 

still wish the roaming drug/weapon vans had a bigger payoff though, especially for the weapons vans.  i unloaded a full clip and a half into a weapon van just to get the driver to bail out and only got a clip for my trouble.   drool

i hope the warehouse raids open up soon.  should be fun.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2009, 12:36:09 PM »

I have to say, the cameras go BOOM very satisfyingly.  There's also a strategic reason to take some of them out, as any drug deals going on in the location of a camera is priced higher.

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2009, 01:17:57 PM »

I don't know what it is but I'm having more fun with this one then GT4. I've been spending way way way more time doing stupid side things and having a blast. I don't even really recall doing much of anything with side missions in GT4. Rampage is a welcome return and I love doing burnouts and donuts with the cars in the road. You can actually set pedestrians on fire with your burnouts btw.  icon_biggrin
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2009, 01:20:50 PM »

Where the heck is Liberty City Gun Club?  All I remember the tool tip saying is "it's near the airport," but I've patrolled the area a bunch and still haven't seen it.  Now I'm getting all these "a new gun is available to try at the gun club!" messages.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2009, 02:07:23 PM »

still wish the roaming drug/weapon vans had a bigger payoff though, especially for the weapons vans.  i unloaded a full clip and a half into a weapon van just to get the driver to bail out and only got a clip for my trouble.

With some aggressive driving and patience you can get the driver out of the van and never fire a shot. I completely agree about the payoff though. Look! I stole a truck full of ... 1 pistol. Great.

Don't make the mistake of leaving him alive though.  The last time I tried that he blew up the truck with me in it as I was driving away.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2009, 02:14:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 24, 2009, 01:20:50 PM

Where the heck is Liberty City Gun Club?  All I remember the tool tip saying is "it's near the airport," but I've patrolled the area a bunch and still haven't seen it.  Now I'm getting all these "a new gun is available to try at the gun club!" messages.

It's right where that red dot is.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2009, 07:39:49 PM »

I was driving around the airport last night looking for a helicopter.  Found the landing pads but no copters frown  I assume either you never fly one or it's something that has to happen in the story first. 

I DID however find a tank on the airport grounds.  Awesome!  It even comes with a mini-mission where you drive the tank through waypoints and shoot at cars to reduce your time.

This (GTA) is honestly one of the most fun games I've played in a long long time.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2009, 08:28:02 PM »

Played a nice portion of this on my vacation and it's awesome - I end up spending so much time dealing drugs that I'm still not too far in the story!

Very nicely done, Rockstar.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2009, 02:16:09 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on March 24, 2009, 08:28:02 PM

Played a nice portion of this on my vacation and it's awesome - I end up spending so much time dealing drugs that I'm still not too far in the story!

Very nicely done, Rockstar.

I can't believe how addicting the drug dealing is!  I keep telling myself, "Two more deals and then I'm going to do an actual mission..."  Hours later I'm still trying to sell my briefcase of acid for a profit!  So much fun!  Don't get me wrong, love the missions too.  This is the most fun I've had playing a GTA game probably since Vice City.  Love hearing my DS cuss too, something oddly peculiar about it that makes me chuckle.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2009, 07:04:12 PM »

Alright I'm hooked. I was racing to get to a drug dealer when I stumbled upon a "random person" who wanted to go on a speed date. So she hopped in my car and told me she wanted me to drive as fast as possible which I did, including near misses and flying through a billboard. This was followed by dropping her off, going into a convenience store and playing scratch off, then doing vigilante missions and discovering that, yes, you can still do taxi cab fare missions.

I'm also stunned at the level of depth and detail this game has. Wow. I hated GTA4 but this thing strips out all the crap I hated about that game and leaves in all the fun. thumbsup

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2009, 06:36:08 PM »

Has anyone been able to complete the firetruck mission that has you put out something like 9 fires? 

I've tried to find different routes, but there just doesn't seem to be a way to get it done in time! 

Maybe I'm missing something, but the hose doesn't seem to have enough range.  Also, the fires take a little too long to put out.  Add to that the fact that I usually have just over 30 seconds by the time I get there, and I'm growing really frustrated. 

I wanna be fireproof!

EDIT:  For the first time in forever, the GameFAQs forum actually helped me!  I was so focused on that one mission, it hadn't occurred to me to just go to another fire station.  Duh.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 06:44:00 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 28, 2009, 06:36:08 PM

Has anyone been able to complete the firetruck mission that has you put out something like 9 fires? 

I've tried to find different routes, but there just doesn't seem to be a way to get it done in time! 

Maybe I'm missing something, but the hose doesn't seem to have enough range.  Also, the fires take a little too long to put out.  Add to that the fact that I usually have just over 30 seconds by the time I get there, and I'm growing really frustrated. 

I wanna be fireproof!

EDIT:  For the first time in forever, the GameFAQs forum actually helped me!  I was so focused on that one mission, it hadn't occurred to me to just go to another fire station.  Duh.

i have done 6 or so on the big island, and yes, they do space them far apart the majority of the time.  i was hitting the last two fires when some jack-a-lope dragged me out of the truck to pick a fight.  luckily, not the fuzz or i would have been compelled to re-load. 

i was going to suggest the same thing to you actually, as i remember that aspect of this type of mission from the old games. 

for anybody who hasn't do so, i highly recommend doing the vigilante missions to get that perk.    way worth it and surprisingly quick to get.  and for those who have done so, don't you think that 5 missions is way too few to get 2x armor?  i figured it was 5 per 'precinct' or something, as at least it would have been as much work as the other jobs. 

any point to the cabbie missions other than getting a medal?  an unlock or something? 

i had a lot of fun just driving around looking for billboards and conveniently placed ramps to use, especially the one over the river between colony island president's city. 

some of those rampages are pretty hard too.  trying to get gold with a double barrel shotty is tough when you only can't get shots off fast enough to combo.  one trick i have found is to use your molotovs/grenades as you get all of that back when the rampage ends and they are the best way to take out gang cars.

coming up on %45 complete after 10 hours and 48 missions passed.  this game is addictive.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2009, 09:14:32 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 29, 2009, 07:54:31 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 28, 2009, 06:36:08 PM

I wanna be fireproof!

i have done 6 or so on the big island, and yes, they do space them far apart the majority of the time.  i was hitting the last two fires when some jack-a-lope dragged me out of the truck to pick a fight.  luckily, not the fuzz or i would have been compelled to re-load. 

i was going to suggest the same thing to you actually, as i remember that aspect of this type of mission from the old games. 

for anybody who hasn't do so, i highly recommend doing the vigilante missions to get that perk.    way worth it and surprisingly quick to get.  and for those who have done so, don't you think that 5 missions is way too few to get 2x armor?  i figured it was 5 per 'precinct' or something, as at least it would have been as much work as the other jobs. 

any point to the cabbie missions other than getting a medal?  an unlock or something? 

i had a lot of fun just driving around looking for billboards and conveniently placed ramps to use, especially the one over the river between colony island president's city. 

some of those rampages are pretty hard too.  trying to get gold with a double barrel shotty is tough when you only can't get shots off fast enough to combo.  one trick i have found is to use your molotovs/grenades as you get all of that back when the rampage ends and they are the best way to take out gang cars.

coming up on %45 complete after 10 hours and 48 missions passed.  this game is addictive.

The cabbie missions get you
Spoiler for Hiden:
a bullet-proof cab!
  I'm trying to do that one.  This* and the noodle delivery seem to be the hardest of these.  I went through the firetruck missions right across the bridge, and I had gold before I'd even thought I'd started.  The cop missions were incredibly easy and the paramedic ones weren't too hard, either.

*It looks like you have to do the cab missions in a row.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »

Late to the dance, but since I inherited a free DS a while ago I  finally picked up this game yesterday. Turns out it's a decent game to play while riding the exercise bike  icon_biggrin. I had put off getting it because it sounded a bit too frantic, but so far it's been fun. It's my first DS game so I'm still clumsy on the controls, but I'm getting there.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: