http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 04:17:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gran Turismo HD - It's Out!  (Read 4085 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2006, 12:28:01 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 23, 2006, 10:44:14 PM

Actually, one of the main reasons why the GT series can't put in a damage model is that the car manufacturers they license the car designs from won't let them show the cars damaged.

If Forza has real licensed cars and a damage model, I'm not sure how they get around that or if the policy has changed since GT4 first came out.

The Project Gotham games and Forza all have damage modelling on "real licensed cars", although it is less extreme than some other games (like rally sims).  I'm assuming it all comes down to the amount they pay for the license on the cars and what they can get the companies to agree to.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2006, 12:43:25 AM »

GT HD is not a demo at all.  GT5 isn't coming until 2008 so it's not even close to the end of development.  GT HD was designed as some sort of GT4 hybrid to generate revenue for Sony- it uses GT4 assets spruced up a bit.  They ditched the plan altogether and are giving what they completed away for free while they put all of their resoures into GT5. 
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2006, 01:16:38 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 24, 2006, 12:15:28 AM

Real vs GTHD

Is that pic from the actual gameplay or is it the replay?  If that is actual gameplay then WOW. eek

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2006, 01:32:46 AM »

More pics:

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2006, 01:39:42 AM »

wow that is beautiful.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2006, 01:48:16 AM »

Looks like a nice demo, but give me a GTA with those graphics and then we'll talk about being impressed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2006, 03:04:20 AM »

Hetz, do you still have the stickers on your TV?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2006, 04:02:13 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on December 24, 2006, 03:04:20 AM

Hetz, do you still have the stickers on your TV?

No, those are not shots of my TV.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2006, 04:21:16 AM »

Ok, this is the closest I have ever seen to photorealism in a game....

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2006, 04:42:50 AM »

I really feel that Racing sims are the only type of game where photo-realism is important and adds to the game. Those pictures are great, the Ferrari really had me. I've never doubted Polyphony's talents with the graphics. Their ability to make a truly compelling game is lacking, they make a good simulation, but add other cars and it goes to shit.

I think they should just get rid of the whole competitive racing all together and do what they do best. Making the license requirements and things like Time-trials.

It is a great thing that this was free, demo or not, they could've just put this on a shelf. Some of you may remember that in Japan they regulary put out a trial version of the upcoming GT game and sold it for a couple of bucks.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2006, 05:11:05 AM »

Fantastic scenery. The cars dont look phenomenal to me compared to other games, but the scenery is heads and shoulders above. So, yeah, its a demo, just not of a game that is going to be released, its a demo of a concept that didn't work out. Its still cool as hell though.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2006, 06:11:01 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 24, 2006, 04:21:16 AM

Ok, this is the closest I have ever seen to photorealism in a game....

I would swear the second pic, the black car, is real.  The first doesn't look it (though you could say it's a bad/lo-res photo), but I am sure 95% of the people you showed it to wouldn't know it wasn't real.

Or maybe the first one is real and you are just trying to trick us!?  Maybe both???!  I can't trust my own eyes anymore. paranoid

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2006, 06:27:34 AM »

I can't wait till the PS3 drops its balls in two years or so, and what will be out for it and how it will look..   About the time I pick one up as a matter of fact (I wait for all new consoles to drop their nuts before I buy em).   nod

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2006, 06:48:50 AM »

wow, that blue Ferrari is freakin' gorgeous...that color looks beautiful.  I'm impressed
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »

Any shots of what it looks like when you are actually racing, using a camera one would use and with the actual interface up?
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2006, 01:45:52 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 24, 2006, 01:32:57 PM

Any shots of what it looks like when you are actually racing, using a camera one would use and with the actual interface up?

Hetz posted on of the Ferrari on page one. I want to see movies of actual game play myself.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2006, 02:02:12 PM »

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2006, 02:03:46 PM »

Quote from: Lee on December 24, 2006, 01:45:52 PM

Hetz posted on of the Ferrari on page one. I want to see movies of actual game play myself.

http://www.playsyde.com/news_3909_en.html

Lots of movies are up here, in 720p....not 1080p.

You can change the resolution in-game from 720p/1080i/1080p, which is nice. They need to do that on all future games.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 02:06:33 PM by Hetz » Logged

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2006, 02:08:45 PM »

There are also HD movies up of the Japanese retail Motorstorm over there, if anyone is interested.

http://www.playsyde.com/news_3901_en.html

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2006, 02:21:38 PM »

I downloaded the demo but can't drive.  It shows me racing from a front view but none of my controller buttons work.  I can't accelerate or anything. Anyone else?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2006, 02:32:23 PM »

Accelerate should be the X button. I tried using the back R2 button at first and couldn't figure out why I wasn't moving....then I realized that the X button was the accelerate.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2006, 04:17:06 PM »

That is my problem too.  They always make games that are well up to snuff graphically, but if any game I have ever played screams 'good graphics don't make a game' there's are it.  I always open them up, go 'ooh pretty', then get bored within an hour or so.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2006, 05:11:12 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 24, 2006, 02:32:23 PM

Accelerate should be the X button. I tried using the back R2 button at first and couldn't figure out why I wasn't moving....then I realized that the X button was the accelerate.

You can't remap the buttons?  That's becoming a major peeve of mine.  I mean they have freakin' hard drives and memory cards to store the info on, so why can't they let you change the controls to suit your preference beyond 'Scheme A,B or C'?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2006, 05:13:25 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 24, 2006, 12:28:01 AM

The Project Gotham games and Forza all have damage modelling on "real licensed cars", although it is less extreme than some other games (like rally sims).  I'm assuming it all comes down to the amount they pay for the license on the cars and what they can get the companies to agree to. 
I don't know about Forza, but PGR3 definately does not have damage modeling.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2006, 05:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 24, 2006, 02:02:12 PM

Not sure I understand that shot... the time is at 0 as if the race hasn't started, yet he is in 2nd gear doing 62 mph?  Any other in action screenshots of gameplay?  Curious about things like motion blur etc...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2006, 05:16:28 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 24, 2006, 05:14:02 PM

Quote from: Hetz on December 24, 2006, 02:02:12 PM

Not sure I understand that shot... the time is at 0 as if the race hasn't started, yet he is in 2nd gear doing 62 mph?  Any other in action screenshots of gameplay?  Curious about things like motion blur etc...

It's moving.  You do a rolling start.

gellar
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2006, 06:34:21 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on December 24, 2006, 05:13:25 PM

The Project Gotham games and Forza all have damage modelling on "real licensed cars", although it is less extreme than some other games (like rally sims).  I'm assuming it all comes down to the amount they pay for the license on the cars and what they can get the companies to agree to. 

Not to further derail the thread, but PGR3 does indeed have visual damage modeling, it is just extremely subdued.  Take your car into a wall or two and then turn the camera around with the right stick.  You will see the bending damage in fenders, bumpers, mirrors, trunks popping open, etc and you will also scratch the paint up.  It's nothing like a rally game where you are losing parts of your car, but it's there. 

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2006, 07:33:48 PM »

Who drives a racing sim from outside the car? You can't get a real sense of the handling that way.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2006, 07:41:55 PM »

That's the only way I can get a real sense of handling.  Driving from a first person perspective doesn't give me the feeling of momentum, shifting weight and peripheral vision that you would get driving a real car and a 3rd person camera makes it much easier to judge those things. 

They have multiple camera angles for a reason.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2006, 07:48:56 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 24, 2006, 07:41:55 PM

That's the only way I can get a real sense of handling.  Driving from a first person perspective doesn't give me the feeling of momentum, shifting weight and peripheral vision that you would get driving a real car and a 3rd person camera makes it much easier to judge those things.

Ah, ok. I actually experience the exact opposite (aside from the peripheral vision); that's why it puzzled me. icon_smile

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2006, 08:29:17 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 24, 2006, 07:41:55 PM

They have multiple camera angles for a reason.

Same here.  I just don't do well inside the car.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2006, 02:59:33 AM »

I noticed the "limited time" blurb.  How long are they going to leave this demo up?  Seems silly to take down a demo that shows what the system is capable of.

16-bit and loving it!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2006, 04:58:27 AM »

I always pick what usually ends up being the second zoomed out view.  Not over the hood, but a bit further back, like from the roof of the car.  No doubt I do it because it's just the ways I've always done things.  Some people I know prefer doing it inside the car for the reasons mentioned above, but I feel restrained and lack a good view.  Inside the car I can't ever seem to figure out where I am on the road and don't get a good sense of what is turns are coming up.  I see what you mean about the sense of speed, but man things just shoot up on me and I am totally helpless from that view.  Just too fast for me and my reactions are all over the place due to being used to seeing what's coming up a bit easier.

I'm just glad racing games always include different views so everybody is happy.  I will say that if I had a nice wheel/pedal setup I'd probably force myself to drive from the cockpit view for that added dose of total immersion.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2006, 07:04:31 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on December 25, 2006, 04:58:27 AM

I'm just glad racing games always include different views so everybody is happy.  I will say that if I had a nice wheel/pedal setup I'd probably force myself to drive from the cockpit view for that added dose of total immersion.

Amen to that!  Heck, I'm thrilled that most racers give multiple in-car and behind-car view settings. I usually use either the on-road view or the view that shows the hood. The full in-car views don't yet seem to have hit the sweet spot on the immersion:playability ratio yet. icon_wink

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2006, 08:01:15 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 24, 2006, 06:34:21 PM

Quote from: Eduardo X on December 24, 2006, 05:13:25 PM

Not to further derail the thread, but PGR3 does indeed have visual damage modeling, it is just extremely subdued.  Take your car into a wall or two and then turn the camera around with the right stick.  You will see the bending damage in fenders, bumpers, mirrors, trunks popping open, etc and you will also scratch the paint up.  It's nothing like a rally game where you are losing parts of your car, but it's there. 
Maybe I never noticed because I'm such a fantastic driver!

PSN ID: EduardoX
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2006, 05:29:42 PM »

I really want to see more cockpit cameras, where you see the interior of the car as though you were the driver.  The Colin McRae series and PGR3 were fantastic for that.  In Colin, water and dirt would start to cover your windshield, and if you cracked the windshield by hitting things, it became a major problem.  PGR was awesome because you could actually check your mirrors with the right stick, and if you sideswiped something, the mirrors would crack and bend up, making them useless.  The "dashboard" cam in GT with the semi-transparent instruments onscreen always bugged me.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2006, 07:32:06 AM »

Why is there a seemingly drastic difference in the replay screenshots and the behind-the-car point of view screenshot?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2006, 08:01:47 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 27, 2006, 07:32:06 AM

Why is there a seemingly drastic difference in the replay screenshots and the behind-the-car point of view screenshot?

Every racing game is like that, isn't it?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2006, 01:16:47 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 27, 2006, 07:32:06 AM

Huh?

They are different angles. Every single racing game looks different from the behind the car shots than it does in the replay shots. Oh and there is not a DRASTIC difference. It's the same game. It's not like the switch car models out or something for the replay.

I had people over for Christmas and they were all stunned by GTHD and Motorstorm. They couldn't believe that they were games. Motorstorm was a huge hit at Christmas.  icon_smile

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: