http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 01:06:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gran Turismo HD: Classic to cost $426.50 to $975?!  (Read 1309 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2006, 11:35:26 AM »

Uh... I can't make this stuff up even if I tried. Via 1up, talking about the 'amazing uber 1080p port of Gran Turismo 4 for the PS3':

The microtransaction-focused game, Gran Turismo HD: Classic will be the online-focused entrant into the GT-series. In this game, players will (reportedly) start with no cars or courses available to them. Instead, they will need to purchase their stable of cars and courses to race on. The pricing reported in the Famitsu piece indicated that cars would cost between 50-100 yen ($0.43-$0.85) and courses between 200-500 yen ($1.71-$4.26). There are approximiately 750 cars and 50 tracks available for purchase in the GT: HD Classic. Let's do the math:

# 750 cars for $0.50-$1.00 (Sony will round-up, don't you think?)
# 50 tracks for $1.50-$4.50

A complete copy of the game will cost gamers somewhere between $426.50 and $975, and that's without factoring in whatever Sony decides to charge for the menus (since that's all you'll get with GT HD: Classic).

And for quick refrence, there will be a 'premium' version of the game that includes 60 cars and 4 tracks. Which means you'll still have to pay a ton of cash to get all the cars available in the game.

So...thoughts? Have microtransactions ruined gaming as we know it? Or am I just worrying too much as usual?  icon_smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 11:38:21 AM »

last gran turismo was a major let down for me,and it took the series off my must have playstation games

gran turismo is always making you work,and then after you buy the cars will you have to take a test again?.like in the earlier games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 11:52:34 AM »

Gran Turismo is all about 'reality'.   Take that shiny new whatever car and barrel it into the wall at 200mph.  See any dents and scratches?  Apparently they have a different reality than I do.   From what I saw at E3, there is absolutely nothing worth paying anywhere NEAR these kinds of prices.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 12:10:26 PM »

You seem to have left out the part of the article where he kind of speculates that certainly people can't be expected to pay that much:

Now, is it possible that the game will be a full-priced title with a built-in download system that allows users to download cars and tracks equal to the number of the game's retail price? We hope the model ends up similar to this. However, right now, details are extremely sparse, and Sony has to have an answer to these questions[/quote

So, I'm not quite sure we can say the game will cost that much.  Wait....did I just defend Sony?  I need to go take a shower.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 12:22:54 PM »

So...thoughts? Have microtransactions ruined gaming as we know it? Or am I just worrying too much as usual?

Hasn't ruined it yet, but it's the aspect of "next gen gaming" taht I fear the most. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 01:15:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 21, 2006, 12:22:54 PM

So...thoughts? Have microtransactions ruined gaming as we know it? Or am I just worrying too much as usual?

Hasn't ruined it yet, but it's the aspect of "next gen gaming" taht I fear the most. 

An article in GameInformer mentioned the idea of paying real money for a potion you needed to heal your party in a dungeon or paying real money for in-game money to upgrade equipment. It's a terrifying thought. I can see games getting harder to encourage us to pay a bit of spare change here or there to get by. Next thing you know, in the next adventure game there will be one door with a super hard puzzle blocking it and next to it a door with a credit card slot. You choose.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 01:23:06 PM »

Just another example of why I absolutely despise the movement towards microtransactions.  If this trend continues (and I don't see any reason why it won't), it will end up driving me out of this hobby for good. 

The biggest problem I have with microtransactions is the fact that it will essentially let developers released unfinished games, then charge for 'special bonuses/features' that they should have been included in the first place.  It could lead to a bad, bad situation for us as gamers.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 01:27:38 PM »

An article in GameInformer mentioned the idea of paying real money for a potion you needed to heal your party in a dungeon or paying real money for in-game money to upgrade equipment. I

Yeah, MS just had a conference recently where they were playing up the idea of "consumables" so that the items you were buying were finite and would have you coming repeatedly for more.

It just feels like salt in the wound after game prices already went up $10.00.  I'm hardly squeamish about my disposable income considering the amount of games I purchase, but between microtransactions, consumables, the ten dollar price hike, "Platinum Hits" now being $30 vice $20 (I'll drop $19.99 without blinking but not so $29.99), "budget" titles like Test Drive Unlimited and Table Tennis costing as much Okami, etc- the whole thing is just driving me to want to stay in the current/last generation as long as possible.  I'm the type of gamer that likes to play a lot of diverse titles and these practices are really counter to my playstyle. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 03:40:53 PM »

Heh, nice rumor there.  Just about the right amount of believeability and incredebility that makes a nice rumor.

Frankly, I doubt they're stupid enough to go this route, and even if they do, there's plenty of racing games out there and someone will step up to replace GT.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 04:45:34 PM »

Yeah this can't possibly be true, can it?

* gellar cannot fathom who thought 'hey, this is a great idea!'
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 04:48:16 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 21, 2006, 04:45:34 PM

Yeah this can't possibly be true, can it?

* gellar cannot fathom who thought 'hey, this is a great idea!'

You know, I think I can see some people who would be for this.  Not necessarilly *this* specific pricing model but for those who chronically never play more than five hours of a game before moving on, piecemeal downloadable content might actually be cheaper for them if they just download the first parts of a game and only end up being out $20 or so.  Almost like shareware to a degree. 
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 05:02:41 PM »

Well, whether the rumour is true or not, all of these "microtransactions" are being supported by consumers. If people are willing to fork up more cash for extras, then the developers are going to keep it up. And all it's going to take is us turning our back on this shit, causing some undeserving game to sink because of it.

We keep the industry alive. We set the status quo for acceptable pricing and game development ... and of course, developers and system companies will try to get away with as much as they can. It's up to us to take a stand when they've gone too far.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 05:11:10 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 21, 2006, 03:40:53 PM

Heh, nice rumor there.  Just about the right amount of believeability and incredebility that makes a nice rumor.

Frankly, I doubt they're stupid enough to go this route, and even if they do, there's plenty of racing games out there and someone will step up to replace GT.

But rumors make all the fun discussion posts, no?  icon_biggrin

Honestly, with Sony, who knows what they're gonna do. I mean, they're trying to go after an entirely different gamer mindset this time around - the one who doesn't have any qualms about spending an absolute ton of cash just for a gaming console. You dropped $600 for a system - would you drop $400 for the best looking and realistic (short of the whole indestructable cars thing) racing game out there?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 05:18:32 PM »

Sony is really testing the limits of the "There is no such thing as bad publicity" theory.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 05:20:43 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 21, 2006, 05:11:10 PM

Quote from: Turtle on September 21, 2006, 03:40:53 PM

But rumors make all the fun discussion posts, no?  icon_biggrin

Honestly, with Sony, who knows what they're gonna do. I mean, they're trying to go after an entirely different gamer mindset this time around - the one who doesn't have any qualms about spending an absolute ton of cash just for a gaming console. You dropped $600 for a system - would you drop $400 for the best looking and realistic (short of the whole indestructable cars thing) racing game out there?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

For me it's completely different- I probably won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon, but even if I were to pay $600, I could justify it from the standpoint of a sunk cost- I'm going to get probably five to seven years of use out of it and, once that $600 is invested, nothing more is needed to enjoy the library of games coming down.  It works on a smaller scale with games- if I don't want to pay $50 or $60 then I wait until the price drops into whatever range I've set but whether I pay $20 or $60, once spent, I've got the game and all of the content. 

In the world of microtransactions I don't necessarily know what the cash outlay is ahead of time.  Maybe $60 is the price of entry but I only found out after getting the game that I really need that extra weapon or extra level to really make the experience wortwhile and hey its only $1/$5/$10 or more right?  Except after a few of those I've not spend maybe $100 on that game instead.  I totally get the psychology behind it and know why the companies are doing it, but the whole thing makes me uncomfortable.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 06:07:16 PM »

Apparently it's costing Sony more to build each PS3 than we initially thought so they have to make up for it somehow. icon_wink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 06:17:39 PM »

Uh, what?

Let's see, we had a discussion on this subject sometime ago. W T F did I tell all of you people?!?!  I told you months ago we needed to stick a fucking knife in the shitbag company that Bethesda is.  I said, you let one game company do it now, it's just gonna keep getting worse.  I don't want to hear any bitching about this, UNLESS YOU BITCHED WHEN BETHESDA DID IT TOO!!  When one asshole does something shitheaded, particularly when it comes to making money, all other assholes (aka companies) will be forced to do it to to keep pace. 

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 07:23:32 PM »

Comparing Bethesda to what Sony may be trying to do with GT is just plain retarded, period. Even without any of the add-ons a game like Oblivion is still just huge with dozens of hours of quality gameplay right out of the box. What is possibly being attempted with Gran Turismo is so far from that saying otherwise is stupid.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 21, 2006, 07:23:32 PM

Comparing Bethesda to what Sony may be trying to do with GT is just plain retarded, period. Even without any of the add-ons a game like Oblivion is still just huge with dozens of hours of quality gameplay right out of the box. What is possibly being attempted with Gran Turismo is so far from that saying otherwise is stupid.

QFT

While I don't like Bethesda's microtransactions either, what they're proposing for GT is on a whole 'nother level.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 07:34:06 PM »

so sony say that the online gaming is free.....only they charge you through the nose on downloads

is that right?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 07:35:33 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on September 21, 2006, 06:17:39 PM

Uh, what?

Let's see, we had a discussion on this subject sometime ago. W T F did I tell all of you people?!?!  I told you months ago we needed to stick a fucking knife in the shitbag company that Bethesda is.  I said, you let one game company do it now, it's just gonna keep getting worse.  I don't want to hear any bitching about this, UNLESS YOU BITCHED WHEN BETHESDA DID IT TOO!!  When one asshole does something shitheaded, particularly when it comes to making money, all other assholes (aka companies) will be forced to do it to to keep pace. 

Easy there Jake.  I think it is pretty early to crucify Bethesda.  They put a lot of content forth, and while it was pretty much universally agreed that the horse armor download was crap, the others were not.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 07:58:47 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 21, 2006, 07:35:33 PM

Quote from: Big Jake on September 21, 2006, 06:17:39 PM

Uh, what?

Easy there Jake.  I think it is pretty early to crucify Bethesda.  They put a lot of content forth, and while it was pretty much universally agreed that the horse armor download was crap, the others were not.

Also, Bethesda didn't invent this idea, MS did (at least on their platform).  Sure, Bethesda was the first one to release actual content downloads for pay, but they weren't necessarily the first to plan on doing it.  I have no problem with some microtransactions.  With Oblivion, for example, I didn't look at the stuff they offered and think that they held content back from me.  I played Oblivion for 95 hours.  They gave me plenty of content without those extra addons.  I don't think I've really seen any downloadable content yet from any company where I felt like they ripped me off by taking content they should have given me for the initial paying price and making it downloadable.  If the rumors about EA selling alternate jerseys on the Marketplace is indeed true, I think they will be the first.

The other potential downside to downloadable content is if they sell items that you feel you have to have to compete.  I am not sure what the final verdict on the Chromehounds downloadable weapons for pay were, but if they were the best weapons in the game and you had to pay for them to compete, I have a problem with that.

My point here is that there is certainly a fine line to be walked here.  I would love it if all these companies gave us this exta stuff for free, but I don't expect it.  I also expect to get enough content for the $60 I paid for the game and only have supplemental, non-important content be offered via paid download.  This is acceptable to me.  Downloading extra maps or gameplay types is acceptable.  However, when I begin to feel like I should have had this content for my $60 or that you are forced to buy it to be on a level playing field, that is when I begin to have a problem with it.

Now, as people have mentioned I can see how some people might benefit from buying a game with no car sor tracks and only buying what they want.  I think most people, though, would benefit from just buying the more expensive version.  I guess I can't complain about a choice in that regard, though.  It's certainly nice to have options.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 08:36:50 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 21, 2006, 07:58:47 PM

My point here is that there is certainly a fine line to be walked here.  I would love it if all these companies gave us this exta stuff for free, but I don't expect it.  I also expect to get enough content for the $60 I paid for the game and only have supplemental, non-important content be offered via paid download.  This is acceptable to me.  Downloading extra maps or gameplay types is acceptable.  However, when I begin to feel like I should have had this content for my $60 or that you are forced to buy it to be on a level playing field, that is when I begin to have a problem with it.

The main problem I see is that the definition of "acceptable amount of content" is going to have a very different meaning for developers/publishers than it does to gamers.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2006, 08:45:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 21, 2006, 08:36:50 PM

The main problem I see is that the definition of "acceptable amount of content" is going to have a very different meaning for developers/publishers than it does to gamers.

I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I mentioned it being a fine line.  I think that over time these guys will get a grasp on what is acceptable to gamers and what is not.  Bethesda certainly learned real quick with the horse armor and everything they released afterwards gave more content for less money.  There will be mistakes made, but i think in the end, it will all shake out.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 09:25:21 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 21, 2006, 01:23:06 PM

The biggest problem I have with microtransactions is the fact that it will essentially let developers released unfinished games, then charge for 'special bonuses/features' that they should have been included in the first place.  It could lead to a bad, bad situation for us as gamers.

EA has been doing that for years with expansions.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 06:34:36 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 21, 2006, 08:36:50 PM

Then vote with your wallet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: