http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 01:08:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gran Turismo 4 Review  (Read 1834 times)
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2005, 06:11:38 PM »

Anyone else give this a read?

http://firingsquad.com/games/gran_turismo_4/
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 06:57:24 PM »

There are now 700 cars, which are NOT all Skyline GT-R variants.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 07:09:59 PM »

Well, the worst words I have heard about this game is the fact that the AI still has no dynamic movement to it.  They still drive the same line every time and if you get into their line they'll run you right off the road.  This was a severe knock on GT3, but I still loved the game.

GT4 will probably be fantastic, but I am still a bit miffed that after so much time they haven't hurdled this baseline problem.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 07:15:13 PM »

Of course, this wouldn't be as big a problem if you had realistic damage modelling smile
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 07:25:30 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Of course, this wouldn't be as big a problem if you had realistic damage modelling

Yeah, the car makers aren't too enthused with seeing their cars damaged in a game.  Although somehow PGR2 and the upcoming Forza were able to do it (although they probably lost a few licenses because of it).

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 07:40:23 PM »

Of course, this wouldn't be as big a problem if you had realistic damage modelling

Hence while I'll be playing Forza and not GT4

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 09:05:02 PM »

Apparently, I don't like driving games because GT3 bored me to tears. I did pick it up in November, so maybe that's why I got so bored.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 09:17:21 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"
Apparently, I don't like driving games because GT3 bored me to tears. I did pick it up in November, so maybe that's why I got so bored.

See.. I like a lot of driving/racing games. I even had a lot of fun with PGR2, but I hate the Gran Turismo series. The Forza demo also absolutely bored me to tears.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 09:19:58 PM »

Interesting, Thin J. I loved Porche Unleashed and usually have a lot of fun with racing games. I've been trying to figure out how I can afford Burnout 3 for a while, but I'm just not looking forward to GT4.
Are there any really good arcade racing games that my friends could pick up and play against me when they come over?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 10:23:37 PM »

And obviousl ythe lack of licenses REALLY HURT Burnout 3.  *snicker*
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 11:21:00 PM »

Holy shit.

Well, the rumor is true, GT4 will run at HDTV 1080i resolutions with a notable improvement in image quality. For once, the high resolution, anti-aliased images produced by Sony’s development PS2 systems is close to what the end user can really achieve. Thus, we’ve gone with the USB 1280x960 images from the photo mode for our screenshots. Some of these shots look stunning, and your first question will be to ask if the game really looks like that in real-time.

No fucking way can it run 1080i, can it?  If so... OMGHI2U.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 11:57:13 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
No fucking way can it run 1080i, can it?  If so... OMGHI2U.

Yeah, I have no idea how the hell they pulled this off either. The PS2 simply doesn't have enough horsepower for Progressive Scan titles (why there are all of 20 games that support it), much less 1080i. I'll have to give this game a try just for that, even though my TV doesn't support it...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 12:02:12 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Quote from: "Eduardo X"

See.. I like a lot of driving/racing games. I even had a lot of fun with PGR2, but I hate the Gran Turismo series. The Forza demo also absolutely bored me to tears.

because forza and gran turismo are not driving games, they are simulations.... I much prefer good quality arcade racing like burnout, nfs:ug, PGR2

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 12:59:10 AM »

OK, Im a "fun" gamer, and things that "simulate" real-life to the point of making a game seem like painful boring work are specifically things I avoid.  (There's a very good reason I love going to a driving range, but think Golfers are psychotic.)  

SO why is it I buy almost every GT game in the hopes that finally I will 'get it'?

I must be a masochist.  I'm honestly thinking about picking this up the week it comes out, despite the fact I *KNOW* I will be unable to advance beyond the first fifth of the game.  (I rationalize it by saying, 'but that's a lot of game even so.')

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 01:22:18 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
I must be a masochist.  I'm honestly thinking about picking this up the week it comes out, despite the fact I *KNOW* I will be unable to advance beyond the first fifth of the game.  (I rationalize it by saying, 'but that's a lot of game even so.')

It could be worse... it could be R: Racing Evolution or way worse... Auto Modellista (at least R has animated boobies)... *continues working through my backlog* Man did I make some bad picks.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 03:01:11 AM »

Animated bobies?  Racing Game?  I'm there!  :lol:

(seriously, my Backlog on the PS2 is getting horrendously long...and yet I keep buying more.  Someone help me!)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 03:28:26 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"

I have the same outlook going in to a lot of "sim" games.  I must say, despite not being very good at GT3, I felt satisfied in accomplishing my single goal, which was buying the car I always wanted and then buying the best parts for it.  I ended up with a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 with over 1000 horsepower.  Now I am not the best driver (especially on GT3's windy courses) but with that my HP I didn't have any trouble recovering from a turn.  The neat thing was actually learning how to adjust gear ratios to suit the tracks.

I don't know why I ended up with PGR2 but damn if I didn't complete every race on at least bronze (and silver is definately in sight).  I was just hooked from the start and kept at it.  I was always just a couple tokens away from a new car or just one race away from a new class...  The thrill of driving an Enzo was worth it, even if it is just a video game.

I think it is all about the collecting and upgrading.  Always so close to the next purchase or inches away from victory.  It just happens that the sims have more collecting than a lot of other games.

Oddly, as difficult or boring as you might find the sims, I thought the racing portion of Burnout 3 was maddening.  I breazed through the hundred-something crashes with all golds, but I felt the races were just unfair and downright frustrating.

I'm going to buy GT4 and play the hell out of it, even if my goal is not much different from the one I had for GT3.

Forza, on the other hand, well I look forward to that like the second coming.  I don't get excited about too many games on the radar, but this one has me salivating.  Live play should be incredible and I'm ready to collect more cars!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 06:18:21 PM »

And obviousl ythe lack of licenses REALLY HURT Burnout 3.

I was bored with burnout in about two days. Arcade racers tend to be very thin and lacking long term enjoyment.  Burnout 3 was like the ugly girl. Quick screw, then get out fast. GT4 is like the pretty girl who knows she's pretty. You have to  break that  girl in get the goods.

Then eventually she'll break you.

:twisted:

Besides, GT4 has a quarter mile track with a tree, something I was missing very much in GT3.  

(to add: PGR2 was a blast. I played that game for months!)

[/quote]

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 06:19:43 PM »

If nothing else, I'll be creating wallpapers up the wazoo in GT4.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 06:51:28 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
If nothing else, I'll be creating wallpapers up the wazoo in GT4.

Now that I'd love to see. Go post some of your best when you're done. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2005, 07:07:28 PM »

I've been looking foward to Fortza since last summer now.  It's one of 3 games i actually went out and bought an xbox because of.

Those games being Fable, Forza, and Mercenaries.

I didn't know until I rented it that Mechassault 2 had the Forza demo.  Needless to say, i didn't end up playing Mechassault 2 at all.  I played the demo of Forza for 10 days straight and paid the late fee on the game.

I have never enjoyed a racing sim half as much as Forza and my understanding is, the game's come a LONG way since that demo to know in further improvements.

I get incredibly joy out of playing Forza because its so real, i dont think i've ever gotten such a realitsic feel and sound to the driving in any other game.

This kind of driving and the cars and modding is just what i enjoy and Forza has it right.

I will live and breath Forza when it comes out.

I have zero interest in GT4 in comparison. Absolutely zero after playing GT3.  Yuck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: