http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:58:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got my PS3 reserved (a report from the lines)  (Read 10720 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2006, 09:24:02 PM »

I'd say it will be a good percentage of people selling PS3s on eBay.  I wouldn't put it as high as LE, but I think it will be a big number.  History will repeat itself and dummy accounts will win the auctions and not pay.  It's the chance you take I guess.  I mean look at Elmo, wasn't a winning bidder's name elmoisahomo?  Pretty obviously not going to pay for what they won...heh.

For how much the 360s went last year I expect more of a percentage of systems on eBay for the PS3 than was on there for the 360.  History is there and people see it as a profit making opportunity.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2006, 09:44:22 PM »

Quote from: AgtFox on October 11, 2006, 09:24:02 PM

I'd say it will be a good percentage of people selling PS3s on eBay.  I wouldn't put it as high as LE, but I think it will be a big number.  History will repeat itself and dummy accounts will win the auctions and not pay.  It's the chance you take I guess.  I mean look at Elmo, wasn't a winning bidder's name elmoisahomo?  Pretty obviously not going to pay for what they won...heh.

For how much the 360s went last year I expect more of a percentage of systems on eBay for the PS3 than was on there for the 360.  History is there and people see it as a profit making opportunity.

Yeah, I can agree with that, but you can put restrictions in place to limit some of the non-paying bidders. To say that 99% of the systems will land on ebay is crazy though, in fact, I doubt its even gonna be higher than a 1 in 3.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2006, 09:50:15 PM »

Oh, and BTW - Gamespot is reporting that a ton of PS3's have shown up on eBay (like anybody was surprised about this):

Last November, eBay was awash with listings for the hard-to-come-by Xbox 360. Now, enterprising auctioneers have been placing pre-orders for the PlayStation 3 and then immediately pre-selling the console themselves for a huge profit on eBay.

GameStop announced yesterday that pre-orders for Sony's next-gen console were now sold out, with some stores only taking as few as six orders. Eager customers had been queuing for hours outside stores to pay their $100 deposit, which guarantees them one of the first 400,000 US-bound PS3s.
The average going price for the PS3 on eBay today was also in the region of $1,500, although one hopeful punter had given his console a 'buy-it-now' price of $100,000. They hadn't had any bids as of press time.

$1500, eh? Apparently my original thought of $1000 was a bit low.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2006, 09:59:17 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 11, 2006, 09:50:15 PM

Oh, and BTW - Gamespot is reporting that a ton of PS3's have shown up on eBay (like anybody was surprised about this):

Last November, eBay was awash with listings for the hard-to-come-by Xbox 360. Now, enterprising auctioneers have been placing pre-orders for the PlayStation 3 and then immediately pre-selling the console themselves for a huge profit on eBay.

GameStop announced yesterday that pre-orders for Sony's next-gen console were now sold out, with some stores only taking as few as six orders. Eager customers had been queuing for hours outside stores to pay their $100 deposit, which guarantees them one of the first 400,000 US-bound PS3s.
The average going price for the PS3 on eBay today was also in the region of $1,500, although one hopeful punter had given his console a 'buy-it-now' price of $100,000. They hadn't had any bids as of press time.

$1500, eh? Apparently my original thought of $1000 was a bit low.

I wouldn't sell mine now, the odds of someone backing out when I actually get it would be too high. I think I will just wait until I actually have it.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2006, 10:47:36 PM »

I guess I should have stated my "high number"...I'd put it in the 20-30% area, but it could be higher.  I'm not sure what percentage of 360s went on eBay.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2006, 11:57:40 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 11, 2006, 01:56:19 PM

Are there any big blu-ray movies being released alongside the PS3?  After all the hooplah about the PS3 being a great value because of the blu-ray player, and everything Sony has riding on the format, you'd think they'd want to have a giant pile of eye-candy movies released on the same day.

I'm not sure what those movies would be, but X-men I-III, Spiderman I-II, Star Wars I-VI, and all Pixar movies would be a good start.

Especially the Pixar movies, I can hardly imagine how good an entirely digital movie would look.  Stick a PS3 showing blu-ray Finding Nemo or Cars in 1080p in every Best Buy and Walmart in the country and you might actually get people to agree that a $600 PS3 is a good deal.

have any of you guys seen the bluray players they have playing at some bestbuys on samsungs hdtvs I think they look like crap imo.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2006, 12:22:35 AM »

Interesting article: Is E-Bay pulling recently posted auctions for the PS3?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2006, 02:19:41 AM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on October 11, 2006, 07:51:13 PM

This thread is getting into TL,DR territory, but...

I'm going to laugh when Sony actually ships all those units it said it would, and the PS3 sees a launch like the PSP.  Plenty of units, not alot of interest due to its absurd price, and eBayers gnashing their teeth as their return deadlines slowly dry up.

To the eBayers in the thread, this isn't a moral issue to me or anything.  It's just simple schadenfreude.  When 390,000 of the 400,000 PS3s land on eBay, I'm going to be laughing my ass off at all the fools who thought they could make a quick buck.
If it doesn't sell I return it to Costco or where ever.  I suppose it's really tough to be out that money... oh wait, return it within the grace period and no interest either.  I'm not seeing the down-side.  I do however enjoy laughing so I'm happy if we can bring a smile to your face.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2006, 02:29:01 AM »

Yeah, yeah yeah, everyone is just playing the supply and demand game. Except if I want to play a system, for fun, I have to stand in line or pay insane prices because the Ebays jacked up the demand to make a profit for themselves. I like the idea that the company making the system sets the price, not Joe Blow who doesn't give a shit.

F*** everyone else on this issue. I am selfish. If I want a PS3, I want to be able to get one on day 1 without having to play games with people who created a false demand to get one. Luckily, if forums are any evidence, the majority of people who want a PS3 just want to Ebay it, so maybe this will change this annoying trend. And I know that argument works both ways, but like I said, I only care about my side in this argument.

Either way I would hope the console makers would learn something and make a launch where this wasn't an issue.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2006, 02:34:35 AM »

The reason GameStop and EBGames do preorders, and push preorders because their financials demand it.

They take all of that preorder money, deposit it in HIY accounts and make $$$$ on your money.  Dell does this, when you order a box and wait a month for it to build and ship, they make $$$ on interest.  Factoring deposits and interest, I read somewhere Dell would be like the 3rd largest bank in the world.

Without preorders, Ebgames and Gamestop would probably go under.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2006, 02:39:52 AM »

I wish EB would go under. smile I rarely shop there now.

Also again, my feelings on this aren't anything personal. I don't care that much, I can wait, but don't think I am sitting here thinking "Jeez, JBlank deserves to make $500 on a stupid video game system because he could get out of work to go wait in line for one." biggrin I hope you guys fail at this, because it affects me directly, not because I don't want you to make a profit.

Plus, I want a Wii not a PS3, and this doesn't seem like it will be a problem with the Wii.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2006, 02:55:09 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 12, 2006, 02:39:52 AM

Thanks for your support   Roll Eyes

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2006, 02:58:16 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 12, 2006, 02:55:09 AM

I think they are shitty ass store. Sorry.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2006, 11:41:07 AM »

Also again, my feelings on this aren't anything personal. I don't care that much, I can wait, but don't think I am sitting here thinking "Jeez, JBlank deserves to make $500 on a stupid video game system because he could get out of work to go wait in line for one." biggrin I hope you guys fail at this, because it affects me directly, not because I don't want you to make a profit.

Plus, I want a Wii not a PS3, and this doesn't seem like it will be a problem with the Wii.

Unless you live in Bristol, TN/VA, and missed out on MY PS3, it doesn't affect you directly, nor does what anyone else here in the forum does with theirs. For all you know the people that prevented you from being able to pre-order one, are actually keeping theirs to play.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2006, 12:46:45 PM »

There are some pretty impressive new videos up of a couple PS3 games from the Playb3yond site.

http://www.playsyde.com/news_3685_en.html

Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man look incredible. I'm glad I am keeping mine! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2006, 01:12:31 PM »

Misguided, I know you take it as a punch to your gut when people bash your company, but you've got to find a way not to take it personally.  If everyone's EB/Gamestop was run like yours is run, you wouldn't see so much EB hate.  The sad truth is, a large number of EBs around the country are run by monkeys.  Be frustrated with the monkeys, not with the people who have had repeated bad experiences with the monkeys.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2006, 01:46:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 12, 2006, 01:12:31 PM

Misguided, I know you take it as a punch to your gut when people bash your company, but you've got to find a way not to take it personally.  If everyone's EB/Gamestop was run like yours is run, you wouldn't see so much EB hate.  The sad truth is, a large number of EBs around the country are run by monkeys.  Be frustrated with the monkeys, not with the people who have had repeated bad experiences with the monkeys.

That's pretty much the truth. As I know has been said before - it's all about the people running the individual stores. Some are great, others are total useless idiots. My Gamestop is a great place to go IMHO, which is why I shop there all the time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2006, 03:12:45 PM »

I am an idiot.   retard
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:55:35 PM by pr0ner » Logged

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2006, 03:18:55 PM »

That math confuses me...  If jblank only got $700 for the console on EBay, $630 towards the credit card bill he'd be up $70 (minus EBay fees) for his troubles... 

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2006, 03:20:28 PM »

Eh?  Is all that just a fancy way of saying that you need to sell something for more than you purchased it for in order to make a profit?

Ignoring any shipping or ebay fees, if he sells it for $700 he'll have $70 more for the ring, if he sells it for $1000 he'll have $370 more for the ring, and if he sells it for $1260 he will indeed double his investment and have $630 more towards the ring.

I'm not sure I follow why it would be unprofitable if the winning bid was $1259.
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2006, 03:33:14 PM »

Here is a thought, aren't we all here the gaming nuts suppose to be the ones dying for this system. After all we love games so much we post in a gaming forum. Most , if not all of us are in the sweet disposable income category area companies love, but if we here aren't going nuts for the ps3, who exactly is  suppose to be?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:35:20 PM by TC Weidner » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2006, 03:36:36 PM »

Um... what?

gellar
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2006, 03:44:17 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 12, 2006, 03:33:14 PM

Here is a thought, aren't we all here the gaming nuts suppose to be the ones dying for this system. After all we love games so much we post in a gaming forum. Most , if not all of us are in the sweet disposable income category area companies love, but if we here aren't going nuts for the ps3, who exactly is  suppose to be?
I've been thinking about this too, and I have to remind myself that the general population doesn't know anything about how Sony did at E3, what ports are or aren't included in the core version, what kind of crazy comments Sony PR has been putting out in the past year, what franchises are or aren't going to stay Sony exclusive in the next generation, etc.

For most of the people buying things, all they know is that the PS1 was great, the PS2 was great, and 3 comes after 1 and 2.

I'm still surprised that the price tag isn't scaring more people off, but I guess when people nowadays are spending thousands instead of hundreds when they buy a TV, spending $500 instead of $300 on a console isn't as big a leap as it used to be.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2006, 03:51:36 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 12, 2006, 03:44:17 PM

I've been thinking about this too, and I have to remind myself that the general population doesn't know anything about how Sony did at E3, what ports are or aren't included in the core version, what kind of crazy comments Sony PR has been putting out in the past year, what franchises are or aren't going to stay Sony exclusive in the next generation, etc.

For most of the people buying things, all they know is that the PS1 was great, the PS2 was great, and 3 comes after 1 and 2.

That's a very good point.  If anything, being the 'hardcore gamers' that we are might cause us to be less excited about the PS3 than Johnny Sixpack.  That's certainly not what you would expect, and I'm guessing it makes Sony a bit nervous.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:54:14 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2006, 03:52:03 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 12, 2006, 03:12:45 PM

I just realized something.

jblank claims he's buying (and selling) his PS3 to make money to buy a ring for his wife.

In order for jblank to actually earn enough money off his PS3 to add to his total for the ring, his PS3 will have to sell for AT LEAST $1260.

How do I figure?

jblank has to pay for the PS3 from the store.  That's $630.

The first $630 of the PS3 money from eBay goes to repaying the credit card bill for the console.

The next $630 gets jblank up to the amount of money he would still have in his pocket if he hadn't bought the PS3 to begin with.

Ergo, in order to make this venture worth his while, he HAS to sell the PS3 for at least $1260.

If he doesn't, he's wasting his time, as he'll actually have less money available for the ring than he would have if he hadn't bought the PS3.

A 100% markup.  That will be quite impressive.

retard
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2006, 03:54:27 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 12, 2006, 03:51:36 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 12, 2006, 03:44:17 PM

That's a very good point.  If anything, being the 'hardcore gamers' that we are might cause us to be less excited about the PS3 than Johnny Sixpack.  That's certainly not what you would expect, and I'm guessing it makes Sony a bit nervous.

Totally.  The Playstation brand trumps all.

gellar
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2006, 03:54:43 PM »

I'm still surprised that the price tag isn't scaring more people off How do you know this? I would guess that at least 50% of those people pre ordering are future ebayers, and the general public as you said hasn't been following the guffaws of sony which also means most haven't a clue about the huge price tag.

Unlike last year , this year next gen gamers have options, the wii or 360 allow for options and do you think most kids really would be so pissed if they got a 360 and wii under the tree, with a mom and dad saying, well we'll see about the ps3 another time when their available and the price comes down a bit.  Oh by the way junior, here is guitar heor 2, bully, god of war 2 etc for your ps2.  Parents and gamers have options this xmas.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2006, 03:55:12 PM »

Quote from: JLu on October 12, 2006, 03:18:55 PM

That math confuses me...  If jblank only got $700 for the console on EBay, $630 towards the credit card bill he'd be up $70 (minus EBay fees) for his troubles... 

Gah!

I'm an idiot.

You can disregard what I wrote.    retard

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2006, 04:00:34 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 12, 2006, 03:54:43 PM

Unlike last year , this year next gen gamers have options, the wii or 360 allow for options and do you think most kids really would be so pissed if they got a 360 and wii under the tree, with a mom and dad saying, well we'll see about the ps3 another time when their available and the price comes down a bit.  Oh by the way junior, here is guitar heor 2, bully, god of war 2 etc for your ps2.  Parents and gamers have options this xmas.

Brand can be *very* important to kids.  Hell, I remember a friend of mine had a knock-off Voltron and he actually got ridiculed for it.  I felt better off at that point not having a Voltron at all then getting a knock-off.  It's mean, and not rational, but that's how kids are. 

Not sure that this will matter so much between 360 and PS3, but I can definitely see some kids disappointed when their parents get them a Wii instead. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2006, 11:04:05 PM »

Yeah, I know, I'm trying to take it all in stride, and just had to laugh at Kobra's rant
...but isn't wishing the whole chain would go under just a *little teensy bit* extreme?
Just a little?  icon_wink

Quote from: wonderpug on October 12, 2006, 01:12:31 PM

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2006, 11:11:46 PM »

BTW - according to my dude at Gamespot, they're going VERY aggressively against eBayers. If you told the sales guy you were gonna sell it, they were supposed to kick you out of the store right there and then.

They're also double checking credit card numbers across ALL stores. If they catch you using the CC number more than once (or things like your name or address too), they'll cancel your preorders and leave a nice automated messate stating that your order has been canned. They'll let you keep a single one if you choose to do so, so they're not totally evil.  icon_smile

He talked about one guy who got 5, and now has none. Boy, he was PISSED.  icon_biggrin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: