http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 11:01:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got my PS3 reserved (a report from the lines)  (Read 10677 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2006, 12:50:04 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2006, 12:48:00 AM

Quote from: jblank on October 10, 2006, 04:39:37 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 10, 2006, 04:38:11 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 10, 2006, 04:34:49 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 10, 2006, 04:29:02 PM

* CeeKay  remembers the rash of griefers who threw away accounts to ruin ebay auctions of the 360's.....
Could you explain further?

People would use sometiems "real", sometimes dummy accounts to drive 360 auctions up to insane prices only to have no intention of honoring the close of auction price. 

Really? Why would someone do that? Just to be a dick?

pretty much.  people would think they got a nice chunk of change only to find out they got squat and they'd have to start the auction over again.

Well thats pretty crappy to do, regardless of what you're selling.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2006, 01:48:45 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 11, 2006, 12:21:22 AM

Quote from: pingwrx on October 10, 2006, 11:05:30 PM

Quote from: Hetz on October 10, 2006, 07:54:43 PM

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 10, 2006, 07:04:37 PM

I'm still waiting on which of the new gen will have that killer game I just have to have. 360 has some nice stuff but nothing I HAVE to play.

Personally I think PS2 is gonna hurt PS3 big time this xmas. I mean with all these great games coming out now for the PS2 it sort of takes the edge of the need for ps3 now.  Personally I am really looking forward to Bully next week, and Guitar Hero 2 on the 7th.

The older I get the more I realize also, that when it comes to games, whats the rush?

Yeah, but you can play all those games on the PS3 as well....in 1080p!   icon_biggrin

Yea thats all and good but how many people have 1080p enabled tvs about 0.5% of the population of hdtv owners?

All of this years and future models will have it. Mine has it. It's 1080p native.

The Sony KDS 60A-2000: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=G0HScDClDETSJXWJI8rYe3-o9uiaYLz5c08=?ProductSKU=KDS60A2000&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=hid_tv_newbravia

Oh and here is something funny....a guy put his preorder up on EBAY for $8,000 :icon_eek:, but forgot to blackout his name and phone #.....yikes.

icon_lol

mine has it too heres my tv
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDSR60XBR2&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_ProjectionTVs_RearProjection_55to80TVs

but I wonder how many people that have hdtvs here on this forum have 1080p?

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2006, 01:54:47 AM »

Is there a somewhat official list of what PS3 games will be available for the launch? Is the following list accurate?

Resistance: Fall of Man - Sony
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - Sony
Genji: Days of the Blade - Sony
Gran Turismo HD - Sony
NBA 07 - Sony
Call of Duty 3 - Activision (600,000)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - Activision (300,000)
Tony Hawk's Project 8 - Activision (300,000)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Bethesda Softworks
Fight Night 3 - Electronic Arts (400,000)
Madden NFL 07 - Electronic Arts (700,000)
NBA Live 07 - Electronic Arts (500,000)
Need for Speed Carbon - Electronic Arts (800,000)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 - Electronic Arts (400,000)

Mobile Suit Gundam: Target In Sight - Namco Bandai
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Namco Bandai
Ridge Racer 7 - Namco Bandai
Full Auto 2: Battlelines - Sega
Sonic the Hedgehog - Sega
NBA 2K7 - Take-Two Interactive (400,000)
NHL 2K7 - Take-Two Interactive (200,000)
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII - Ubisoft
Rainbow Six: Vegas - Ubisoft
F.E.A.R. - Vivendi

If so, I'd have to say I'm glad I have to wait.  The games that are bolded are going to be available for PC/360, and some of them have already been released.  None of the remaining ones seem very appealing other than Resistance, which reminds me of Half Life 2.  Im feeling the same way about the Wii launch line up, with only Zelda standing out.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2006, 02:11:55 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on October 11, 2006, 01:54:00 AM

Wow, this is just amazing.  I am not going to waste any more breath on someone as self-centered as jblank is being in this case.

That he selfishly refuses to look at it from the viewpoint of wonderpug's theoretical 11th man in line shows how wrong he is.  Btw, what did you think of wonderpug's Spiderman 3 post, jblank?  I didn't see a reply from you yet.

Why are you trying to be such a jerk about this? What have I done to you? Where have I wronged you for you to come at me personally like this? Huh? I just don't understand it, nor do I understand how selling something to help buy my wife a ring is being self centered. The only person here not worth wasting breath on is you. It's YOU who seems to be all up in arms just because I am selling the system. It's YOU who threw out the labels and the profanity in my direction. It's YOU who cast the first stone. And finally, it's YOU who can't just realize that this isn't about me, nor is it any of your business what I do with the money I earn.

How about you just respect my decision and what its based on before casting the stone, see where I am coming from, rather than attacking out of nowhere, for no reason, just to be the ass of the thread. Who the hell are you to tell me what I can do? Who are you to judge me?

I'll answer your Spiderman question when you answer the ones I have posed to you about 3 times now, or better yet, how's about you just let it the hell go, smoke a joint, take a valium, or go for a run, because whatever has you so stoked to come at me, needs to just be gone for a while.

Do I need to call for a mod to step in before this turns even more sour? I've only called for us to get back on topic 3 times now. God, it's like being at OO again. Damn, some of you need to clean up your own house before telling others how to clean theirs.

Edited out something I shouldn't have said.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 02:23:23 AM by jblank » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2006, 02:17:27 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2006, 01:54:47 AM

Is there a somewhat official list of what PS3 games will be available for the launch? Is the following list accurate?

Looks accurate based on what I've heard, except Ninja Gaiden Sigma isn't launch- it's supposed to be out around March next year. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2006, 02:25:13 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 11, 2006, 02:17:27 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2006, 01:54:47 AM

Looks accurate based on what I've heard, except Ninja Gaiden Sigma isn't launch- it's supposed to be out around March next year. 

I wonder if it will be as impossibly difficult as its current gen predecessor? <shivers>

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2006, 02:37:04 AM »

This stuff doesn't bother me a whole lot but I can definitely see where Big Jake and others are coming from even if I don't care for the vitrol.

How about this- I'm a gamer and I want a PS3/Xbox 360/Whatever Hot New Console becaue I'm really excited about playing it.  I do the best I can given work and family constraints and get in line at EB this morning for a preorder or maybe camp out at Best Buy the night before launch.  Unfortunately, due to work and family, I'm number nine in line.  The store only has eight units and I just miss out on getting one.  Now it turns out that the eight people in line in front of me aren't actually going to use the console for it's intended use (ie playing it) but instead bought it for the sole purpose of selling it on Ebay.  Sure, I'd be kind of pissed.  Now let's assume those eight people in front of me instead are buying it with the intention of keeping it and playing it themselves.  Now, I'm still probably frustrated that I missed getting one, but I would honestly feel better about the situation.  But maybe that's just me. 

If I was given a batch of consoles and the power to choose who got a console and who didn't, I would rather see those consoles in the hands of gamers than speculators.

And I do see a difference between these consoles and things like coins, stamps, classic cars or whatnot.  In the case of the latter, those things are truly investments.  Usually there is a time factor involved where you must hold onto the item and in the case of cars, often physical labor and time investment on the owners part in fixing them up.  Even for rare games that fetch a high price on Ebay like Valkryie Profile or Suikoden I see the point since the quanitity is truly limited, not likely to change, and there is clearly a long term demand.  But in the case of these consoles it just feels like taking advantage of most gamers' intrinsic "gotta have the shiny new thing now" addiction that causes us all to line up at EB on the day a new release hits.  So it just feels like gamers taking advantage of other gamers and that's not a spirit I really want to foster. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2006, 02:45:34 AM »

Then I give up Kevin, I simply give up, there is just going to be no way I can convince any of you that this isn't a moral issue, its a supply and demand issue. A gamer is still getting it, the machines are still out there for those that have the means to get them, and in the end, like someone else said, this isn't a life or death item. If I was buying them to destroy them, then yes, you would have a point, THAT is selfish, but I am not doing anything other than using the popularity of the item, and its lack of supply, to help out on a big purchase I have to make.

If that means Kevin Grey and Big Jake, the new William Bennett apparently, think I am some sort of immoral jerk for "breaking the spirit of gaming", then so be it, fine, whatever, but I bet you my wife will feel differently on December 21 and to me, THAT is the person that matters. The sooner you guys see this thing as a gaming console and not a morality issue, the sooner we can get back on topic.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2006, 02:56:27 AM »

Quote from: jblank on October 11, 2006, 02:45:34 AM

Then I give up Kevin, I simply give up, there is just going to be no way I can convince any of you that this isn't a moral issue, its a supply and demand issue. A gamer is still getting it, the machines are still out there for those that have the means to get them, and in the end, like someone else said, this isn't a life or death item. If I was buying them to destroy them, then yes, you would have a point, THAT is selfish, but I am not doing anything other than using the popularity of the item, and its lack of supply, to help out on a big purchase I have to make.

If that means Kevin Grey and Big Jake, the new William Bennett apparently, think I am some sort of immoral jerk for "breaking the spirit of gaming", then so be it, fine, whatever, but I bet you my wife will feel differently on December 21 and to me, THAT is the person that matters. The sooner you guys see this thing as a gaming console and not a morality issue, the sooner we can get back on topic.

I didn't call you an immoral jerk so quite casting yourself as a martyr. I just outlined why I wouldn't engage in the practice. 

As to this:
A gamer is still getting it, the machines are still out there for those that have the means to get them, and in the end, like someone else said, this isn't a life or death item.

By engaging in this you have changed "the means".  Lots of people who might be able to afford $500-600 couldn't afford $1100-1200 so why wouldn't they be pissed?  If people can be mad at Sony for setting the MSRP so high then they can certainly be mad at you for setting the practical cost even higher. 

And no one here thinks you are a hero for buying your wife a ring with the money so quit playing that card.  If it's that important to you then you'll make it happen whether or not you turn the PS3 around for a lot of cash.  It's completely irrelevant to the discussion, especially considering that a ring is every bit the luxury that a videogame console is. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2006, 03:02:50 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 11, 2006, 02:56:27 AM

Quote from: jblank on October 11, 2006, 02:45:34 AM

I didn't call you an immoral jerk so quite casting yourself as a martyr. I just outlined why I wouldn't engage in the practice. 

As to this:
A gamer is still getting it, the machines are still out there for those that have the means to get them, and in the end, like someone else said, this isn't a life or death item.

By engaging in this you have changed "the means".  Lots of people who might be able to afford $500-600 couldn't afford $1100-1200 so why wouldn't they be pissed?  If people can be mad at Sony for setting the MSRP so high then they can certainly be mad at you for setting the practical cost even higher. 

And no one here thinks you are a hero for buying your wife a ring with the money so quit playing that card.  If it's that important to you then you'll make it happen whether or not you turn the PS3 around for a lot of cash.  It's completely irrelevant to the discussion, especially considering that a ring is every bit the luxury that a videogame console is. 

You guys just keep wanting to escalate this don't you?

I'm not playing martyr, nor am I playing any hero card(I take offense at that Kevin, its not appreciated), so just stow that kind of talk, ok? We're adults here and all I am doing is justifying (or attempting to I should say) my reasoning for selling the system. I am not setting the bar at 1100 bucks, thats the market doing that, it dictates the value of the item, I am merely along for the ride. Is the ring a luxury item? Sure it is, but all I am doing is using an asset to assist in the payment and apparently to some of you that wanna scold me, thats a no no. I suggest you guys worry about your own business and stay out of mine. That is as polite as I will put it, the next step isn't polite and likely will resort is you and I not being on the best of terms after what I say. Lets just drop it, shall we?

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2006, 03:02:55 AM »

Well I am going with a PS2 this Xmas, but by the time I decide to buy a PS3, I will probably be able to get a 42" Plasma/LCD for $500-600, I figure in 1-2 more years.  By then, there should be at least a healthy discount on the PS3 and a large selection of cheap used games.

The way the big plasma/lcd's are dropping, it looks right on schedule for a year or two!    thumbsup

I absolutely respect the business prowess of people that Ebay their preordered PS3's for ludicrous amounts.. Thats just smart business.. If I thought it was worth fucking around to do it for 1 unit, I would have done it. I did it for the Xbox360 for 6 units or something like that, but PS3 is in too short of supply to pull that off I suspect.

I've made a healthy side living over the years buying low and selling high.. Its a part of life, its capitalism, its good business.  I rememeber when one item at Radioshack was hot as hell when I was a manager there. I purchased every single one as they got shipped to my store and Ebayed them for 10 times what I paid.  Totally made it worth working there everytime I did that, certainly better than my pissant salary they paid me.

Hell, I bought a Corvette a couple months ago from some deseperate fuck that lost his job and couldn't afford the gas or insurance to drive it. I paid $5,500 for a damn fine Corvette.. I just sold it last week on EbayMotors for $12,900.  Does that make me an evil guy too?  I figured gas would go down around this time period, and I played the market and won.  thumbsup
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 03:09:14 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2006, 03:15:44 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 11, 2006, 03:02:55 AM

Does that make me an evil guy too? 

No...but then...that was never really in doubt  icon_wink

Ruining language with my terrible words.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2006, 03:23:02 AM »

Man, this thread is getting nasty.  Only thing I can suggest is that we all get back to the topic and stop the racquetball arguments back and forth.  I personally think some people are just trying to rile up jblank and that's just not right because things will be said that really shouldn't be said on both sides.

I think the IPO analogy was very good, but let's take another retail analogy to this.  Recently, Tickle Me Elmo came out and people picked up multiples of them.  Are they going to keep all the Elmos that they bought?  Are they even going to keep 1?  Probably not...many of them picked these up solely to sell on eBay.  You want an Elmo for your kid by Christmas?  Cough up 2/3/4x the original price in order to get it.  Welcome to the eBay world, we live and breathe in it.

We shouldn't judge anyone that stood in line on short notice in order to pre-order a PS3, whether they're going to play it or sell it on eBay.  The precedence was shown last year with the Xbox 360, any normal person would have to be off their rocker not to believe it would happen again this year with the PS3 and possibly the Wii (although numbers are looking oversaturated in this case).

In my mind Gamestop/EB should never have opened pre-orders on the PS3.  There was word going around that they were debating this very thing.  They should have taken the way of Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, Toys 'R Us, etc. and just do a first come/first serve on the day the system came out.  Even then I'd be willing to bet given how much the 360 sold for last year that many would be there to sell one on eBay.  Heck, many will probably bring a sibling or friend in order to get one for themselves and recoup the money with the second system on eBay.

Anyway, I have now gone down the path of the racquetball game, but I also don't want jblank to feel alone in what he is trying to justify.  Once again, we live in the eBay world where someone's shit can become someone's valued treasure for a lot of money.  Think of all the other crazy Christmas items from even before the Internet exploded (Cabbage Patch dolls, Hush Puppies, Furby, original Tickle Me Elmo, etc.)...people were having classified ads to sell them for more in order to get more money.  Then think again about chastising jblank on what he plans on doing.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2006, 03:27:57 AM »

Quote from: AgtFox on October 11, 2006, 03:23:02 AM

Welcome to the eBay world, we live and breathe in it.

No one is denying that.  Some of us just wish that weren't the case and expressed as much. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2006, 03:34:00 AM »

In my mind Gamestop/EB should never have opened pre-orders on the PS3.  There was word going around that they were debating this very thing.  They should have taken the way of Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, Toys 'R Us, etc. and just do a first come/first serve on the day the system came out.

Perhaps. Though at least this way (assuming they don't get more systems allocated to them unexpectedly) you know whether you can get one there or not and can target a different store to get one at launch.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2006, 03:59:14 AM »

I also don't want jblank to feel alone in what he is trying to justify. 

Trust me, he's not.  The argument of the poor, desperate gamer that can only afford the retail cost and the big, evil, immoral meanies that are selling them for more than retail doesn't fly with me at all.  If that poor gamer wanted one that bad, they should have been willing to camp out/get there uber-early/etc. at Gamestop or Best Buy to ensure they got one.  If they weren't willing to do that, they get to play the supply & demand game just like the rest of the world.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2006, 04:06:14 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 11, 2006, 03:59:14 AM

If that poor gamer wanted one that bad, they should have been willing to camp out/get there uber-early/etc. at Gamestop or Best Buy to ensure they got one.  If they weren't willing to do that, they get to play the supply & demand game just like the rest of the world.

Apples and oranges to some of us.  Justifying a $500 console to my wife is one thing, staying out all night and taking a day off of work to get one on top of the $500 would be a lot different.

Also, I do feel I should clarify a bit- The practice really doesn't bother me to any great deal though I do admit that I won't personally take part on either end (ie won't pay a premium over MSRP and also wouldn't sell one for profit).  I would never condemn anyone for doing it, but I am surprised that more people don't see why the practice would bother some. 
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2006, 04:11:36 AM »

Let's try to keep this topic on topic, and keeping the arguing down to a minimum. 

Personally if people are dumb enough to buy it for $400 above retail, that's their own fault, and I don't see the problem why people can't profit off their stupidity.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2006, 04:14:32 AM »

Let me offer a couple of suggestions...

For Big Jake & company... Misguided said it best:

Quote from: Misguided on October 10, 2006, 09:30:09 PM

With all due respect--and I see both sides of the argument here--I think this argument carries a lot more weight when we're talking about something like people gouging others in a time of crisis (e.g. selling bottled water at stupid prices). We're talking about a game system here--a luxury item if there ever was one.

Really... don't make this out to be more than it is.  You may disagree with it or not but it really doesn't matter that much on the grand scale of things.  In 6 months anyone who really wants a PS3 could have one.

For jblank:
Not every swipe at you requires you to vigorously defend yourself.  I understand it gets irritating but you really paint a huge target on yourself.  Save getting really riled up for the important things in life and not what people say to you on a message board.  If ya want to avoid something like this in the future try this (whether you mean it or not but preferably you would mean it).
Big Jake I can completely see where you are coming from but I guess I see it differently.  We'll have to agree to disagree.

Trust me if you'd done that and ignored a swipe or two we'd be lounging around having fun instead of checking our blood pressure.

Edit:  Dammit!  I got scooped by naednek while I was editing my long-winded post!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2006, 04:17:18 AM »

Quote from: naednek on October 11, 2006, 04:11:36 AM

Personally if people are dumb enough to buy it for $400 above retail, that's their own fault, and I don't see the problem why people can't profit off their stupidity.

I think you just summed up Sony's entire marketing philosophy.   icon_wink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2006, 05:22:35 AM »

Ah Crap.  This is really my bad.

Jblank, my post that went: "Wow, this is just amazing. ..." I tried to delete before anyone read it, as I realized after I posted it that it served no purpose other than to antagonize you.  I'm going to apologize as the time for me to let this drop was sometime ago.  You and I clearly have different viewpoints that aren't going to be reconciled, so I'll get the hell out of this thread and stop derailing it.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2006, 11:33:15 AM »

Apology accepted Big Jake.

You make a good point Warning, I probably should have done that, but at the time, I was pretty upset that it had turned into a judgement on my morals. I should have just ignored it I suppose, but it surprised me and I guess it hit a little harder than I should have let it.

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2006, 12:14:34 PM »

If I happen across one at Costco or where ever, I'll pick one or two up for the express purpose of ebaying it/them.  I see no moral issue but welcome the accusations.  icon_twisted
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2006, 12:25:30 PM »

Quote from: Austin on October 11, 2006, 12:14:34 PM

If I happen across one at Costco or where ever, I'll pick one or two up for the express purpose of ebaying it/them.  I see no moral issue but welcome the accusations.  icon_twisted

You just reminded me of a question I meant to ask yesterday. Are other retailers, Costco, BB, CC, etc, going to offer some kind of pre-order opportunity on this? Strikes me as odd that only Gamestop (and its EB Games twin) would be given exclusivity on pre-selling the system.

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2006, 12:43:44 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 11, 2006, 12:25:30 PM

You just reminded me of a question I meant to ask yesterday. Are other retailers, Costco, BB, CC, etc, going to offer some kind of pre-order opportunity on this? Strikes me as odd that only Gamestop (and its EB Games twin) would be given exclusivity on pre-selling the system.
I don't think Costco does pre-orders.  A good friend works at a store in my area and I'm sure he'll give me the heads up on when things are coming in though. slywink  I hear that Costco has some games listed at around $57.00 in their computers but I have no idea if that's subject to change or not.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2006, 12:51:50 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 11, 2006, 12:23:36 AM

Quote from: Lee on October 11, 2006, 12:19:32 AM

I am with Big Jake on this, although I don't care that strongly about it. It's a shitty trend that when I want a new system I have to compete with people who just want to make a profit. Getting a 360 was a pain in the ass, but as much as I love the system, it wasn't worth the effort. No offense guys, but I hope all these Ebay people can't sell it just so the trend may die.

Same here. I really hope Sony comes through with the numbers they want to have for the end of the year, cause if they do the Ebay people are going to get owned bigtime.
Not to dredge up history, but I seem to recall you getting a ton of crap for EBaying a 360, in a thread almost exactly like this one??  At the time I thought you were in the right and may have even defended you; but that seems a bit wrong to change your tune after you made your profit...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2006, 12:55:15 PM »

Quote from: Austin on October 11, 2006, 12:43:44 PM

I don't think Costco does pre-orders.  A good friend works at a store in my area and I'm sure he'll give me the heads up on when things are coming in though. slywink  I hear that Costco has some games listed at around $57.00 in their computers but I have no idea if that's subject to change or not.

Costco didn't do 360 preorders anyhow.  I went to my local one an hour or so before opening on launch day, was 4th in line...  I don't forsee them changing that with the PS3 or Wii?

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2006, 01:07:07 PM »

Not to dredge up history, but I seem to recall you getting a ton of crap for EBaying a 360, in a thread almost exactly like this one??  At the time I thought you were in the right and may have even defended you; but that seems a bit wrong to change your tune after you made your profit...
Hetz changed his tune after he sold his sisters 360 online if I remember correctly.  He made a profit, then attacked others selling their 360s online later, and not helping forum members...

Bestbuy didn't do 360 preorders, but if you spent enough money in their Magnolia Home Theater area (whatever its called) they did put aside 360s for people.  Possibly they will do that for PS3's this time as well.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2006, 01:09:33 PM »

I seem to recall that there were some Best Buys that had some sort of preorder system (I read about people getting 360s that way) but it certainly wasn't widespread.  I'd guess it was some sort of test market thing and no idea if there are any out there doing it for PS3. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »

Keep an eye out on the online stores too if you can't preorder one. I started working at GS after preorders for 360 were closed. I had one on launch day though, because I snagged it on circuitcity.com the friday before launch.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2006, 01:42:36 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 11, 2006, 01:37:42 PM

Keep an eye out on the online stores too if you can't preorder one. I started working at GS after preorders for 360 were closed. I had one on launch day though, because I snagged it on circuitcity.com the friday before launch.

Yeah, same for me and 360 with Walmart.com. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2006, 01:56:19 PM »

Are there any big blu-ray movies being released alongside the PS3?  After all the hooplah about the PS3 being a great value because of the blu-ray player, and everything Sony has riding on the format, you'd think they'd want to have a giant pile of eye-candy movies released on the same day.

I'm not sure what those movies would be, but X-men I-III, Spiderman I-II, Star Wars I-VI, and all Pixar movies would be a good start.

Especially the Pixar movies, I can hardly imagine how good an entirely digital movie would look.  Stick a PS3 showing blu-ray Finding Nemo or Cars in 1080p in every Best Buy and Walmart in the country and you might actually get people to agree that a $600 PS3 is a good deal.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2006, 01:57:46 PM »

Looks like Dealers are getting into the price gouging;

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3895&likref=html15

Extra note: Be prepared that day-1 prices will unfortunately be much higher than the manufacturers suggested retail price, simply for the fact that our purchase cost itself will be much higher than the SRP too.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2006, 02:00:55 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 11, 2006, 01:56:19 PM

Are there any big blu-ray movies being released alongside the PS3?  After all the hooplah about the PS3 being a great value because of the blu-ray player, and everything Sony has riding on the format, you'd think they'd want to have a giant pile of eye-candy movies released on the same day.

I'm not sure what those movies would be, but X-men I-III, Spiderman I-II, Star Wars I-VI, and all Pixar movies would be a good start.

Especially the Pixar movies, I can hardly imagine how good an entirely digital movie would look.  Stick a PS3 showing blu-ray Finding Nemo or Cars in 1080p in every Best Buy and Walmart in the country and you might actually get people to agree that a $600 PS3 is a good deal.

I don't know of any big BR releases timed to coincide with the PS3 launch, but if I were them, I would stick Tim Burton's Corpse Bride in there and play it. Without a doubt its the best looking of the BR titles I have seen and might just be the best looking thing I have ever seen in HD.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2006, 02:20:47 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 11, 2006, 02:00:55 PM

I don't know of any big BR releases timed to coincide with the PS3 launch, but if I were them, I would stick Tim Burton's Corpse Bride in there and play it. Without a doubt its the best looking of the BR titles I have seen and might just be the best looking thing I have ever seen in HD.
Yeah, from other reviews I've seen it sounds like Corpse Bride is definitely the eye-candy to beat for blu-ray right now.  Disney definitely knows what they're doing.  If I were Sony I would pay Disney whatever it takes to get Cars and the latest Pirates of the Caribbean out on blu-ray by Christmas.  A format war isn't something you want to take your time on trying to win.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2006, 02:38:13 PM »

I see no moral issue but welcome the accusations.  icon_twisted

You're morals were never in question.  We all know you have none  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2006, 02:47:19 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 11, 2006, 01:57:46 PM

Looks like Dealers are getting into the price gouging;

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3895&likref=html15

Extra note: Be prepared that day-1 prices will unfortunately be much higher than the manufacturers suggested retail price, simply for the fact that our purchase cost itself will be much higher than the SRP too.

Might be wrong but I think that is Japanese specific.  Lik-Sang is an Asian import site and, unlike North America, Japanese retailers are allowed to charge whatever the market will bear.  US retailers will be selling at MSRP. 
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2006, 07:51:13 PM »

This thread is getting into TL,DR territory, but...

I'm going to laugh when Sony actually ships all those units it said it would, and the PS3 sees a launch like the PSP.  Plenty of units, not alot of interest due to its absurd price, and eBayers gnashing their teeth as their return deadlines slowly dry up.

To the eBayers in the thread, this isn't a moral issue to me or anything.  It's just simple schadenfreude.  When 390,000 of the 400,000 PS3s land on eBay, I'm going to be laughing my ass off at all the fools who thought they could make a quick buck.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2006, 08:41:46 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on October 11, 2006, 07:51:13 PM

To the eBayers in the thread, this isn't a moral issue to me or anything.  It's just simple schadenfreude.  When 390,000 of the 400,000 PS3s land on eBay, I'm going to be laughing my ass off at all the fools who thought they could make a quick buck.

As I've said before - I truly wonder just how many of the initial preorders of the console are going onto eBay. I don't think the number is that high, but it'll be rather noticable when the release rolls around.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2006, 08:52:12 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on October 11, 2006, 07:51:13 PM

This thread is getting into TL,DR territory, but...

I'm going to laugh when Sony actually ships all those units it said it would, and the PS3 sees a launch like the PSP.  Plenty of units, not alot of interest due to its absurd price, and eBayers gnashing their teeth as their return deadlines slowly dry up.

saywhat

The interest is there, the preorders are already sold out. Now, considering there will be more than 400,000 people that want the thing, I think the odds we will be "gnashing our teeth" are slim to none. Most people are saying 1,000.00 plus is going to be the norm, nothing in your "prediction" there makes me think any differently. Besides, whats the worst case scenario? It has no interest, and we return our money and get our money back in full. Oh well, to me, its more than worth whatever slight risk there is, but there is no way what you are predicting will happen. Mark it down.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: