http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 10:23:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got my PS3 reserved (a report from the lines)  (Read 10739 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12485


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2006, 06:17:42 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 10, 2006, 04:40:15 PM

Am I the only one here that is going to be actually PLAYING my PS3???   eek

Oh yeah, and I was #1 in line at my local EB! I got the 60GB version. I'm excitied to play all my PS2 games in 1080p! smile

Yes.  Yes you are.   icon_wink  I'd be willing to bet that 60-70% of the people doing pre-orders are doing it to resell.  Making $600+ for doing absolutely nothing is just too tempting an offer to pass up.

I have officially decided today that being a late adopter is by far the best way to go with consoles.  Most of the best games come out at the end of a consoles life-span anyways (Okami & FFXII - according to the early reviews - are perfect examples), so I can finish up some great games, plus a few gems I may have missed, while everyone else is busy scrambling for the new system.  By the time I finally get around to picking up the new system, there is usually a) a better library to choose from, b) the price of any intriguing launch titles has dropped significantly, and c) the price of the system itself has gone down.  I'm sure I'll get a PS3 eventually, but I have zero interest in one at this point, and will be chuckling at everyone scrambling and paying obscene prices for one at launch.
Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2006, 06:20:03 PM »

Quote from: AgtFox on October 10, 2006, 06:04:28 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 10, 2006, 04:46:55 PM

I won't be getting a PS3 this year, but if I were, I would want to get the $500 model.  Did GS announce any sort of split on these?  Otherwise, I could see someone being like #4 in line or something but still missing out because the store only gets in one or two of the $500 SKUs. 

I don't know about GS' splits, but before HDMI was confirmed on both SKUs Sony had said the 400k units would be 80/20 for the 60GB/20GB respectively.  So I can guess out of 8 units it would be 2 out of 8 as 20GB versions, for 16 units it would be 4 of them at 20GB.  Now remember this was before HDMI was confirmed on both SKUs, so Sony may have adapted the split since then.

Yeah, but Sony did hint that the breakdown could definitely change after the HDMI decision.  Personally, I think it's in their best interest to do so- the $500 option really is the best choice for gamers who don't need wireless and they would be doing themselves a favor to get the consumer in the mindset that it's a $500 system vice $600 system. 
Logged
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12485


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2006, 06:24:36 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on October 10, 2006, 06:11:04 PM

You're providing the rare commodity?  No.  No you are not.  Sony is.  You are using the poor distribution of a rare commodity for a profit.  What you are doing is no different from a scalper who buys an entire bank of tickets, thus forcing a restriction in supply.  Is what your doing completely legal? Absolutely.  Does it still mean you're an opportunist who amorally exploits others for his own good? Absolutely.  Don't fucking lie to yourself.

I don't know if I bitched enough during the 360 bullshit, but I figure I can make up for any lack on my part by doubling my efforts on the PS3 vultures.

Boo-fucking-hoo.  If Sony wants to restrict distribution, then this is what will happen.  If people want to pay ridiculous prices for something, more power to the person that has one to sell.  If someone's doing this with food or medicine that is in short supply, I'll jump right on the 'scumbag train' with you, but it's not like the E-bayer willing to drop $1,200 for little Johnny's X-Mas present is going to die without a PS3.  

If anything, go bitch at Sony for trying to artificially jack up demand by only producing a limited number of units.
Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2006, 06:31:10 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 10, 2006, 06:24:36 PM

If anything, go bitch at Sony for trying to artificially jack up demand by only producing a limited number of units.

I don't think it's artificial at all- if they could I have no doubt Sony would like to have at least double the number of consoles they are currently shipping. 
Logged
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3051


View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2006, 06:32:45 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 10, 2006, 06:20:03 PM

Quote from: AgtFox on October 10, 2006, 06:04:28 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 10, 2006, 04:46:55 PM

I won't be getting a PS3 this year, but if I were, I would want to get the $500 model.  Did GS announce any sort of split on these?  Otherwise, I could see someone being like #4 in line or something but still missing out because the store only gets in one or two of the $500 SKUs. 

I don't know about GS' splits, but before HDMI was confirmed on both SKUs Sony had said the 400k units would be 80/20 for the 60GB/20GB respectively.  So I can guess out of 8 units it would be 2 out of 8 as 20GB versions, for 16 units it would be 4 of them at 20GB.  Now remember this was before HDMI was confirmed on both SKUs, so Sony may have adapted the split since then.

Yeah, but Sony did hint that the breakdown could definitely change after the HDMI decision.  Personally, I think it's in their best interest to do so- the $500 option really is the best choice for gamers who don't need wireless and they would be doing themselves a favor to get the consumer in the mindset that it's a $500 system vice $600 system. 

I agree with you on this.  The only things you lose in the $500 option is:

1. Wireless on-board
2. The multiple memory card slots
3. 40GB of hard drive space (but Sony has said you can add any 2.5" HD to the PS3, so HD size becomes moot)

Anything I missed?
Logged

Xbox Live: AgtFox
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15431


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2006, 06:37:57 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on October 10, 2006, 06:11:04 PM


amorally exploits others for his own good?  

You have got to be kidding.
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2006, 06:45:18 PM »

Quote from: AgtFox on October 10, 2006, 06:32:45 PM

I agree with you on this.  The only things you lose in the $500 option is:

1. Wireless on-board
2. The multiple memory card slots
3. 40GB of hard drive space (but Sony has said you can add any 2.5" HD to the PS3, so HD size becomes moot)

Anything I missed?

That's all I know of too and, at least initially, the only thing of real signficance there is the wireless.  Sony's plan for online content is still so nebulous that if 20 GB remains acceptable for the 360 a year after launch, it's hard to imagine that won't be the case for the PS3.  And since you can use any 2.5" SATA drive (not just Sony branded), it will be cheaper and easier to upgrade that later anyway.  Memory card readers shouldn't matter much either.  They are already offering a USB converter for PS2 memory cards so I wouldnt' be surprised if any USB memory card reader would work if someone really needed that functionality. 

They've bungled so many things, but one of the most signifcant ones is letting popular conciousness latch onto the idea that the realistic price of entry is $600.  They should have focused on the $500 SKU from the start and maybe just added in the other stuff as a "Value Pack" or something. 
Logged
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12485


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2006, 06:47:46 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 10, 2006, 06:31:10 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 10, 2006, 06:24:36 PM

If anything, go bitch at Sony for trying to artificially jack up demand by only producing a limited number of units.

I don't think it's artificial at all- if they could I have no doubt Sony would like to have at least double the number of consoles they are currently shipping. 

Then Sony has piss-poor planning or were too optimistic about the launch date.  Either way, I don't see how it comes back to being the fault of the consumer for selling one at an inflated price.
Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15431


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2006, 06:55:01 PM »

All these features are making me want to keep it  icon_biggrin.
Logged
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 247


View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2006, 07:04:37 PM »

I'm still waiting on which of the new gen will have that killer game I just have to have. 360 has some nice stuff but nothing I HAVE to play.

Personally I think PS2 is gonna hurt PS3 big time this xmas. I mean with all these great games coming out now for the PS2 it sort of takes the edge of the need for ps3 now.  Personally I am really looking forward to Bully next week, and Guitar Hero 2 on the 7th.

The older I get the more I realize also, that when it comes to games, whats the rush?
Logged
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15431


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2006, 07:12:37 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 10, 2006, 07:04:37 PM

The older I get the more I realize also, that when it comes to games, whats the rush?

We'll have none of your maturity here, thanks.
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2006, 07:30:27 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 10, 2006, 07:04:37 PM

Personally I think PS2 is gonna hurt PS3 big time this xmas.

With only 400k in the US, nothing should be able to have any effect on PS3 sales.  If Sony can't sell through everything they ship then they are in for a much larger world of hurt than even the most cynical people have predicted. 

That said, there is a very real possibly that PS2 will remain the number one selling console this Christmas. 
Logged
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 247


View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2006, 07:50:23 PM »

no doubt they will sell all 400k units, I am just saying with the killer games coming for the ps2 this season, it just may not be the feeding frenzy we saw before with new systems. 
Logged
The_Man
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 743



View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2006, 07:53:23 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 10, 2006, 04:30:44 PM

Quote from: bluntman72 on October 10, 2006, 04:27:21 PM

I got mine today and I was #1 in line. they told me it was just a reserve and didnt specify if it was the premium or not, so i guess its first come first serve when the system is released.

That's odd...afaik you should be able to choose which model to reserve.

There were 2 different skus so you could have chosen the cheaper model if you wanted it.  And for the people who are wondering, $629.99 in Virginia is the price of the system AFTER tax.  No one is gouging.
Logged
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4217


View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2006, 07:54:43 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 10, 2006, 07:04:37 PM

I'm still waiting on which of the new gen will have that killer game I just have to have. 360 has some nice stuff but nothing I HAVE to play.

Personally I think PS2 is gonna hurt PS3 big time this xmas. I mean with all these great games coming out now for the PS2 it sort of takes the edge of the need for ps3 now.  Personally I am really looking forward to Bully next week, and Guitar Hero 2 on the 7th.

The older I get the more I realize also, that when it comes to games, whats the rush?

Yeah, but you can play all those games on the PS3 as well....in 1080p!   icon_biggrin
Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 158


View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2006, 07:56:50 PM »

I have mine reserved but I am not sure if I will keep it yet. I have to find a game that makes me want to play it since I will have a WII and be playing Gears of War. If I do sell it I will go for whatever profit I can make since I dont feel obligated to sell it cheap to the person who didnt want to wake up early and sit outside an EB Games, but I am not buying mass amounts to resell like some people.
Logged
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4215


Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned


View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2006, 08:40:46 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on October 10, 2006, 06:11:04 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 10, 2006, 04:38:40 PM

Quote from: JLu on October 10, 2006, 04:29:51 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 10, 2006, 04:20:28 PM

I know, I'm a softy for my friends, but I will say I have no qualms about selling a 600 dollar console to some stranger for double that. icon_twisted I'm justifying it to myself by saying this money is gonna help pay for my wifes 10th anniversary ring (which is gonna cost me a BUTTLOAD of cash, but she is 100% worth it), so its for a good cause.

I'm with you in not wanting to screw over a friend but for a random person on EBay, well whatever.  But really, shouldn't be any need for justification to us or yourself.  You thought to preorder it, and someone else will probably want it so badly that they are willing to pay $400 or more over it's price.  There is absolutely not anything wrong with what you are doing!

Yeah, I figure if they wanna pay it, fine by me. I'm providing a rare commodity and that comes with a steep price.

You're providing the rare commodity?  No.  No you are not.  Sony is.  You are using the poor distribution of a rare commodity for a profit.  What you are doing is no different from a scalper who buys an entire bank of tickets, thus forcing a restriction in supply.  Is what your doing completely legal? Absolutely.  Does it still mean you're an opportunist who amorally exploits others for his own good? Absolutely.  Don't fucking lie to yourself.

I don't know if I bitched enough during the 360 bullshit, but I figure I can make up for any lack on my part by doubling my efforts on the PS3 vultures.

Are you trying to be a jerk or is this your true nature? Tell ya what, why don't you climb off that high and mighty soapbox and realize that nothing I am doing is wrong, or out of line with anything that happens in other areas where something is in short supply. Wanna fuss at me, fine, then fuss at people who sell rare stamps they have acquired for tens of thousands of dollars, or those lucky few who bought Mickey Mantle baseball cards for nothing, and sell them for thousands also. All I am doing is meeting the demand of people that are willing to pay extra for the product.

Calling me a vulture or some other derogatory term, or attempting to single me out as somehow being a bad guy in this, is about the silliest thing I have ever read. Wanna curse someone out, then curse out the people willing to pay top dollar X2 for these things, otherwise, stow your opinion of what I am doing in the compartment of your choosing, because I don't wanna hear it and I certainly don't wanna be lectured by you.

Always gotta be someone to piss on a perfectly fine and decent thread.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 08:47:50 PM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4215


Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned


View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2006, 08:48:55 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on October 10, 2006, 07:53:23 PM

Quote from: Misguided on October 10, 2006, 04:30:44 PM

Quote from: bluntman72 on October 10, 2006, 04:27:21 PM

I got mine today and I was #1 in line. they told me it was just a reserve and didnt specify if it was the premium or not, so i guess its first come first serve when the system is released.

That's odd...afaik you should be able to choose which model to reserve.

There were 2 different skus so you could have chosen the cheaper model if you wanted it.  And for the people who are wondering, $629.99 in Virginia is the price of the system AFTER tax.  No one is gouging.

Ok, so that IS including tax. Thanks for telling me man, much obliged as you saved me a phone call. thumbsup
Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11385


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 10, 2006, 08:40:46 PM

Quote from: Big Jake on October 10, 2006, 06:11:04 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 10, 2006, 04:38:40 PM

Quote from: JLu on October 10, 2006, 04:29:51 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 10, 2006, 04:20:28 PM

I know, I'm a softy for my friends, but I will say I have no qualms about selling a 600 dollar console to some stranger for double that. icon_twisted I'm justifying it to myself by saying this money is gonna help pay for my wifes 10th anniversary ring (which is gonna cost me a BUTTLOAD of cash, but she is 100% worth it), so its for a good cause.

I'm with you in not wanting to screw over a friend but for a random person on EBay, well whatever.  But really, shouldn't be any need for justification to us or yourself.  You thought to preorder it, and someone else will probably want it so badly that they are willing to pay $400 or more over it's price.  There is absolutely not anything wrong with what you are doing!

Yeah, I figure if they wanna pay it, fine by me. I'm providing a rare commodity and that comes with a steep price.

You're providing the rare commodity?  No.  No you are not.  Sony is.  You are using the poor distribution of a rare commodity for a profit.  What you are doing is no different from a scalper who buys an entire bank of tickets, thus forcing a restriction in supply.  Is what your doing completely legal? Absolutely.  Does it still mean you're an opportunist who amorally exploits others for his own good? Absolutely.  Don't fucking lie to yourself.

I don't know if I bitched enough during the 360 bullshit, but I figure I can make up for any lack on my part by doubling my efforts on the PS3 vultures.

Are you trying to be a jerk or is this your true nature? Tell ya what, why don't you climb off that high and mighty soapbox and realize that nothing I am doing is wrong, or out of line with anything that happens in other areas where something is in short supply. Wanna fuss at me, fine, then fuss at people who sell rare stamps they have acquired for tens of thousands of dollars, or those lucky few who bought Mickey Mantle baseball cards for nothing, and sell them for thousands also. All I am doing is meeting the demand of people that are willing to pay extra for the product.

Calling me a vulture or some other derogatory term, or attempting to single me out as somehow being a bad guy in this, is about the silliest thing I have ever read. Wanna curse someone out, then curse out the people willing to pay top dollar X2 for these things, otherwise, stow your opinion of what I am doing in the compartment of your choosing, because I don't wanna hear it and I certainly don't wanna be lectured by you.

Always gotta be someone to piss on a perfectly fine and decent thread.

You're making it so that the PS3 you buy will only be useable by someone with an extra $400 or more to burn.  If your store had 10 units available at launch, you're making it so the 11th guy in line to preorder, who genuinely wants a PS3 for himself or his kid for Christmas, with $600 in his pocket, can't have one until 2007.

Sure it's legal, and it's fine if you're ok with doing it, but come on now, don't kid yourself in thinking that there's nothing morally questionable about what you're doing.
Logged
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4215


Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned


View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2006, 09:25:19 PM »

And what of the person I am selling it to? Maybe they are prepared to go the extra mile for THEIR kid this Christmas.

Look, have you ever sold something for profit? Sure you have and there is no difference in what I am doing than there is someone who is selling stamps, or cards, or even a vintage car. The person I am selling it to will want one just as bad, and get his, so whats the difference. As I said, this is helping to purchase a 10 year anniversary ring for my wife, its not like I am buying Methamphetamine with this, or blowing it on trinkets, so you guys can put to rest the morality lecture, its not wanted or needed in this situation.

Using your justification, nobody should be in business, because business is about profit most of the time and all I am doing is taking advantage of a rare item and using it to help out on some large purchases I have to make. Should I ask Gamestop to sell it to me at cost? After all, they are making money on my sale and thats not fair is it?

You guys are taking this way too seriously and painting a big red bullseye on me for no reason. I have to say I don't really appreciate it and I don't think you really have a leg to stand on unless you wanna criticize every single person that takes advantage of a commodity that is rare and sells it for more than face value. I guess rare quarters should just be worth 25 cents and rare or vintage cars sold for what they cost when they were made. Come on guys, no reason to turn into the morality police here and no reason to muck up my thread. I find it laughable that people are taking this to the 'nth degree and somehow trying to make me look evil or somehow "immoral" of all things, just because I am selling a gaming console. Listen to yourself, think about what you are saying, this just isn't a big deal, and not to be curt or impolite, but its none of your business.

Wanna start a thread debating the morality of selling a game console for more than retail price, be my guest, but please, lets keep the thread on topic.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 09:28:45 PM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2006, 09:30:09 PM »

With all due respect--and I see both sides of the argument here--I think this argument carries a lot more weight when we're talking about something like people gouging others in a time of crisis (e.g. selling bottled water at stupid prices). We're talking about a game system here--a luxury item if there ever was one.
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11385


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2006, 09:41:03 PM »

jblank, you seem to be taking this personally, you'll be happy to know that there are quite a lot of other people who feel the same way you do.  I'm willing to bet your PS3 won't be the only one on ebay after launch.

Let's say Spiderman 3 comes out, a lot of people are excited to see it, and tickets are $10 each.  My scalping company buys every single opening night ticket in America, available for purchase at $29.95.  The only way someone can see Spiderman 3 on opening night is if they pay $29.95, and by golly, it looks like there are a lot of people willing to pay me that much.

Can you see where someone might think that business model isn't exactly on the fast track to heaven?

If so, maybe you can see why some people might not think scalping tickets or reselling PS3s on ebay isn't right.

Note that I'm not telling you what to do.  You just seem to be having a hard time seeing beyond your own point of view.
Logged
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 247


View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2006, 09:45:30 PM »

Hey , ebayers may even be doing people a favor, I was all set to buy a 360 last before the limited quantity thing etc, and then when they finally did get back in stock, I really didn't see a huge amount of must have games in their library, and then with all the overheating problems, I am glad I wasn't able to get one.  (This isn't a dig against 360 its a fine system) but now thanks to that ebay nonsense, it may have saved me from making a purchasing mistake based more on hype than on comparitable shopping.

Just saying there is two ways to look at things, who really is at fault here is Sony, my god, what a horrible display of a launch they are illustrating. Too high a price piont, no real hype, lack of real in game demos, and horrible inventory numbers.  Now I am not a fan boy of anybody, I can buy two systems if need be,  and Sony ps2 I think is one of the greatest systems of all time but I'll wait and watch, and I'll know the game I have to have once I come on here and see that indeed tht killer game does live up to my expectations.
Logged
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8986


I'm a dolphin!


View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2006, 09:52:13 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 10, 2006, 09:30:09 PM

With all due respect--and I see both sides of the argument here--I think this argument carries a lot more weight when we're talking about something like people gouging others in a time of crisis (e.g. selling bottled water at stupid prices). We're talking about a game system here--a luxury item if there ever was one.

What he said.

Supply and demand trumps all.

gellar
Logged
Big Jake
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1300


View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2006, 10:01:12 PM »

Wonderpug: has put into words exactly what I meant.

Thanks wonderpug.

And notice, at no point did I tell jblank he shouldn't do this.  I just said, don't lie to yourself about what your doing.

And Wonderpug, TREMENDOUS thank you for mentioning the point I should've made: his actions are completely in line with much of how the rest of society functions.  It is the reason it's 'a dog eat dog world'.  It doesn't have to be, if people, you know, would actually treat each other as human beings instead of 'potential targets'.  But hey, society has taught a lot of people to think like wolves, and now they have no conscience about it when they do.

Logged

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15431


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2006, 10:06:20 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 10, 2006, 09:52:13 PM

Quote from: Misguided on October 10, 2006, 09:30:09 PM

With all due respect--and I see both sides of the argument here--I think this argument carries a lot more weight when we're talking about something like people gouging others in a time of crisis (e.g. selling bottled water at stupid prices). We're talking about a game system here--a luxury item if there ever was one.

What he said.

Supply and demand trumps all.

gellar

Yep. It's called capitalism.

Quote
you're making it so the 11th guy in line to preorder, who genuinely wants to ebay it himself can't have one until 2007

ftfy
Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2006, 10:10:29 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 10, 2006, 10:06:20 PM

Yep. It's called capitalism.

Everything I need to know I learned from Oingo Boingo #16:

There's nothing wrong with capitalism. smile
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 10:12:30 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11385


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2006, 10:11:48 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 10, 2006, 10:06:20 PM

Quote
you're making it so the 11th guy in line to preorder, who genuinely wants to ebay it himself can't have one until 2007

ftfy
It was an honest typo, those keys are like right next to each other.
Logged
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4693


Badassfully


View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2006, 10:56:11 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 10, 2006, 09:30:09 PM

With all due respect--and I see both sides of the argument here--I think this argument carries a lot more weight when we're talking about something like people gouging others in a time of crisis (e.g. selling bottled water at stupid prices). We're talking about a game system here--a luxury item if there ever was one.
My thoughts exactly.  This is a toy.  A big, expensive toy.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 10:57:52 PM by Laner » Logged
pingwrx
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1225


View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2006, 11:05:30 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 10, 2006, 07:54:43 PM

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 10, 2006, 07:04:37 PM

I'm still waiting on which of the new gen will have that killer game I just have to have. 360 has some nice stuff but nothing I HAVE to play.

Personally I think PS2 is gonna hurt PS3 big time this xmas. I mean with all these great games coming out now for the PS2 it sort of takes the edge of the need for ps3 now.  Personally I am really looking forward to Bully next week, and Guitar Hero 2 on the 7th.

The older I get the more I realize also, that when it comes to games, whats the rush?

Yeah, but you can play all those games on the PS3 as well....in 1080p!   icon_biggrin

Yea thats all and good but how many people have 1080p enabled tvs about 0.5% of the population of hdtv owners?
Logged

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4215


Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned


View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2006, 11:15:16 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 10, 2006, 09:41:03 PM

jblank, you seem to be taking this personally, you'll be happy to know that there are quite a lot of other people who feel the same way you do.  I'm willing to bet your PS3 won't be the only one on ebay after launch.

Let's say Spiderman 3 comes out, a lot of people are excited to see it, and tickets are $10 each.  My scalping company buys every single opening night ticket in America, available for purchase at $29.95.  The only way someone can see Spiderman 3 on opening night is if they pay $29.95, and by golly, it looks like there are a lot of people willing to pay me that much.

Can you see where someone might think that business model isn't exactly on the fast track to heaven?

If so, maybe you can see why some people might not think scalping tickets or reselling PS3s on ebay isn't right.

Note that I'm not telling you what to do.  You just seem to be having a hard time seeing beyond your own point of view.

No, I have a hard time believing people want to make a moral judgement on an individual selling a game console. If I was hoarding gas during a shortage and selling it for 20 bucks a gallon, THEN you can make a moral judgement of me, until then, this is me using the PS3 as an instrument of value, to help me buy my wife a 10th anniversary ring, rather than me having to dip into savings for the extra dough. Wanna judge me on something, then judge me from THAT perspective. In any event, yes, when someone calls me names, refers to me as immoral for selling and profitting from a video game system, and tells me to not "fucking lie to myself", yes, I take that personally.
Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4215


Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned


View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2006, 11:21:38 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on October 10, 2006, 10:01:12 PM

Wonderpug: has put into words exactly what I meant.

Thanks wonderpug.

And notice, at no point did I tell jblank he shouldn't do this.  I just said, don't lie to yourself about what your doing.

And Wonderpug, TREMENDOUS thank you for mentioning the point I should've made: his actions are completely in line with much of how the rest of society functions.  It is the reason it's 'a dog eat dog world'.  It doesn't have to be, if people, you know, would actually treat each other as human beings instead of 'potential targets'.  But hey, society has taught a lot of people to think like wolves, and now they have no conscience about it when they do.



With all due respect, thats hogwash. I'm a Liberal, I believe in being far and helping others, and I support equality across the board, and I rail against the "dog eat dog world" and corporate America, quite a bit, but me making some bucks off of a video game, is NOT, and I repeat, IS NOT, a moral decision, and I object to being labeled as a user of people or that I am treating them as "targets". Buddy, its a freakin' video game system, a luxury item as someone put it, this is not Abortion, this is not gay rights, this is not religion, so please, stop treating it like it is, and stop trying to portray me as some money hungry asshole who is hell bent on ripping off some chump. I am simply using the free market to see what it will get me so I can AGAIN, help fund a purchase for my wife.

If that makes me a money hungry, immoral, son-of-a-bitch to you, then you REALLY should re-examine how you judge others and you should never again profit from anything you have and decide to sell, less you be a hypocrite.

Now, again, can we please take this elsewhere if need be? I really don't want the thread to devolve into the morality of video game console selling, that was not my intention when I started the thread and I dare say it probably will result in the thread being locked at some point.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 11:24:08 PM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3307


View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2006, 12:19:32 AM »

I am with Big Jake on this, although I don't care that strongly about it. It's a shitty trend that when I want a new system I have to compete with people who just want to make a profit. Getting a 360 was a pain in the ass, but as much as I love the system, it wasn't worth the effort. No offense guys, but I hope all these Ebay people can't sell it just so the trend may die.
Logged
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4217


View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2006, 12:21:22 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on October 10, 2006, 11:05:30 PM

Quote from: Hetz on October 10, 2006, 07:54:43 PM

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 10, 2006, 07:04:37 PM

I'm still waiting on which of the new gen will have that killer game I just have to have. 360 has some nice stuff but nothing I HAVE to play.

Personally I think PS2 is gonna hurt PS3 big time this xmas. I mean with all these great games coming out now for the PS2 it sort of takes the edge of the need for ps3 now.  Personally I am really looking forward to Bully next week, and Guitar Hero 2 on the 7th.

The older I get the more I realize also, that when it comes to games, whats the rush?

Yeah, but you can play all those games on the PS3 as well....in 1080p!   icon_biggrin

Yea thats all and good but how many people have 1080p enabled tvs about 0.5% of the population of hdtv owners?

All of this years and future models will have it. Mine has it. It's 1080p native.

The Sony KDS 60A-2000: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=G0HScDClDETSJXWJI8rYe3-o9uiaYLz5c08=?ProductSKU=KDS60A2000&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=hid_tv_newbravia

Oh and here is something funny....a guy put his preorder up on EBAY for $8,000 :icon_eek:, but forgot to blackout his name and phone #.....yikes.



 icon_lol
Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4217


View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2006, 12:23:36 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 11, 2006, 12:19:32 AM

I am with Big Jake on this, although I don't care that strongly about it. It's a shitty trend that when I want a new system I have to compete with people who just want to make a profit. Getting a 360 was a pain in the ass, but as much as I love the system, it wasn't worth the effort. No offense guys, but I hope all these Ebay people can't sell it just so the trend may die.

Same here. I really hope Sony comes through with the numbers they want to have for the end of the year, cause if they do the Ebay people are going to get owned bigtime.
Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4215


Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned


View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2006, 12:33:08 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 11, 2006, 12:19:32 AM

I am with Big Jake on this, although I don't care that strongly about it. It's a shitty trend that when I want a new system I have to compete with people who just want to make a profit. Getting a 360 was a pain in the ass, but as much as I love the system, it wasn't worth the effort. No offense guys, but I hope all these Ebay people can't sell it just so the trend may die.

Why? Why are we the bad guy? 400,000 PS3's out there is 400,000, regardless of who is buying them.

We don't create the demand, why are we the bad guys? Let me use the example of coins again. If I have rare coins and I decide to sell them, there is a market in place to give me a barometer for the value of the item. If the value of the item is face value, I'm probably not gonna sell am I? If the coin however is hot, going for way over original market value, why should I feel bad, or immoral to borrow a term someone used to describe me, just because I am taking advantage of the situation?

How is the PS3 different than a vintage Corvette? A valuable Civil War stamp? A rare Revolutionary War coin? An old house I buy to fix up and sell for profit? Nobody seems to want to answer these questions, but lots of judging, name calling, and ill wishing seems to exist, when the odds are very few of you will be affected, and certainly NOBODY on here, is affected by my decision to sell it.
Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4215


Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned


View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2006, 12:35:22 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 11, 2006, 12:23:36 AM

Quote from: Lee on October 11, 2006, 12:19:32 AM

I am with Big Jake on this, although I don't care that strongly about it. It's a shitty trend that when I want a new system I have to compete with people who just want to make a profit. Getting a 360 was a pain in the ass, but as much as I love the system, it wasn't worth the effort. No offense guys, but I hope all these Ebay people can't sell it just so the trend may die.

Same here. I really hope Sony comes through with the numbers they want to have for the end of the year, cause if they do the Ebay people are going to get owned bigtime.

Thanks Hetz, thats really nice of you. thumbsdown Boy, the ill will about this is something I did not expect. You guys act like we are purposely keeping you from getting one. Maybe I should wish that something you have of value suddenly depreciates so you can never profit from it. I won't do that though as I consider you a friend. However, you disappointed me there, I wouldn't have expected to you to wish something like that on me and the others that are selling theirs. disgust
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 12:40:16 AM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2006, 12:44:29 AM »

Quote from: jblank on October 11, 2006, 12:33:08 AM

Let me use the example of coins again.

How about a stock IPO?
You're buying it with the expectation that it will shortly be worth more than what you are paying.

I guess the biggest difference is little Johnny doesn't want shares of Google under the tree.

Of course, there's no risk here, really. The absolute worst thing that could happen is to get stuck with a PS3.
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 71766


La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!


View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2006, 12:48:00 AM »

Quote from: jblank on October 10, 2006, 04:39:37 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 10, 2006, 04:38:11 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 10, 2006, 04:34:49 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 10, 2006, 04:29:02 PM

* CeeKay  remembers the rash of griefers who threw away accounts to ruin ebay auctions of the 360's.....
Could you explain further?

People would use sometiems "real", sometimes dummy accounts to drive 360 auctions up to insane prices only to have no intention of honoring the close of auction price. 


Really? Why would someone do that? Just to be a dick?

pretty much.  people would think they got a nice chunk of change only to find out they got squat and they'd have to start the auction over again.
Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4215


Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned


View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2006, 12:49:13 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 11, 2006, 12:44:29 AM

Quote from: jblank on October 11, 2006, 12:33:08 AM

Let me use the example of coins again.

How about a stock IPO?
You're buying it with the expectation that it will shortly be worth more than what you are paying.

I guess the biggest difference is little Johnny doesn't want shares of Google under the tree.

Of course, there's no risk here, really. The absolute worst thing that could happen is to get stuck with a PS3.

In which case I would return it for a refund. Good example though on the IPO.

I don't know, this criticism really bothered me though. When someone wants to label you as "immoral", because you are selling a video game console and making money on it, that really strikes a nerve. Sorry if I lashed out, but when you are on the receiving end of people labeling you immoral, a really harsh description with very negative connotations, its hard to sit and take it with a smile.
Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.312 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.177s, 2q)