http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 03:59:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got Bioshock for the 360 today!!!  (Read 9087 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »

Quote from: Booner on August 15, 2007, 05:04:05 PM

Just grabbed a copy from a local TRU. nod

I didn't see them out, so I just asked the lady behind the counter. She said "it must be a hot game" and that she had at least 7 calls this morning about it, but had to tell them all "not due until next tuesday". Then the truck arrived at 11 with plenty to sell (maybe 20 in the stack)...me grabbing the first.

My advice....just go into the store instead of calling.

ARGH!

I hate you all!  icon_biggrin

But I still want my Big Daddy figure, so I'm gonna wait until next week. Although, I could hit my Gamestop today and see if they'd sell it early...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 05:15:09 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 15, 2007, 05:09:38 PM

Buckeye- You may want to rename your thread Bioshock: Impressions so that it becomes the 'official thread' of the console forum for it. 

I would say make this thread the "I got it thead" so people can post where they got it since everyone here seems to be trying to figure who is breaking street. Leave the impressions for an impression thread. I think I just about always disagree with ATB. icon_cry

May look in Target and CC tonight. Don't have a TRU close.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 05:20:02 PM »

No TRU for me either, and I have it preorderd from Liongames for dirt cheap, so getting it early means making a second long trip back to TRU to return it when the cheap copy comes in. 

I was in Gamestop a few minutes ago, and they have them, but won't sell until next Tuesday.  Seems like it's just TRU breaking street date at this point rather than an industry-wide launch like some places are reporting.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 05:22:32 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 15, 2007, 05:20:02 PM

No TRU for me either, and I have it preorderd from Liongames for dirt cheap, so getting it early means making a second long trip back to TRU to return it when the cheap copy comes in. 

I was in Gamestop a few minutes ago, and they have them, but won't sell until next Tuesday.  Seems like it's just TRU breaking street date at this point rather than an industry-wide launch like some places are reporting.

And you know the damn Gamestop employees are taking copies home and playing them too. Bastards!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2007, 05:39:24 PM »

i'll drop in and see if i can pick up my copy from gs today, but i seriously doubt it will work. 

a small note to you trying to find it at tru.  use the coupon and save a few dollars.

link
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:40:55 PM by Caine » Logged

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »

Quote from: Lee on August 15, 2007, 05:22:32 PM

Quote from: Chaz on August 15, 2007, 05:20:02 PM

And you know the damn Gamestop employees are taking copies home and playing them too. Bastards!

When I was working for EB, taking my preordered copy of street-dated games home early was one of the few perks of working there.  You'd better believe I'd be playing it tonight if I was them.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 06:36:04 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 15, 2007, 05:09:44 PM

But I still want my Big Daddy figure, so I'm gonna wait until next week. Although, I could hit my Gamestop today and see if they'd sell it early...

The TRU by us didn't get in any special editions.  Haven't seen anyone report getting their hands on one of those yet.

Now what to do with my special edition preorder...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 06:59:31 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 15, 2007, 06:36:04 PM

Quote from: Destructor on August 15, 2007, 05:09:44 PM

The TRU by us didn't get in any special editions.  Haven't seen anyone report getting their hands on one of those yet.

Now what to do with my special edition preorder...

That's because the special editions are a Gamestop exclusive. biggrin
And unlike TRU apparently, they believe in maintaining the release date.  crybaby

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2007, 07:05:30 PM »

Ok, went to two different TRU's, 2 Targets, and a Walmart near The Woodlands part of Houston, and no luck at any of them.  At one of the TRU's, the clerk hesitated when I asked about the game.  I told her she doesn't lie well and that I bet she has it.  She admitted she did but was forbidden to sell it.  Ah well, looks like next Tuesday for me then.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2007, 07:19:19 PM »

No luck here either in WI. I've waited 2 years or so, what's 6 more days?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2007, 07:32:17 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 15, 2007, 06:06:22 PM

When I was working for EB, taking my preordered copy of street-dated games home early was one of the few perks of working there.  You'd better believe I'd be playing it tonight if I was them.

No, that definitely doesn't fly. Taking it home would be on par with selling it early.
Big no no.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2007, 07:41:43 PM »

6 more days means the semester has already started for me by then, which means no time to play.  frown
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2007, 07:41:49 PM »

Wow, lots of NE Ohio love flying around. That's where I grew up... Chesterland, right near Chagrin Falls.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2007, 07:43:50 PM »

*note to self*  Convince lucky forum members to buy me a lotto ticket and review Bioshock for me....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on August 15, 2007, 07:41:49 PM

Wow, lots of NE Ohio love flying around. That's where I grew up... Chesterland, right near Chagrin Falls.

Boy it is a small world.  I grew up in Mentor.  I played a random guy on Xbox live last night and he was from Parma.

Weird... paranoid
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 08:31:07 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2007, 08:30:22 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 15, 2007, 07:46:54 PM

Quote from: rrmorton on August 15, 2007, 07:41:49 PM

Boy it is a small world.  I grew up in Mentor.  I played a random guy on Xbox live last night and he was from Parma.

Wierd... paranoid

Your from Ohio too holy crap........................I........................I'um.....................I ain't ever been there icon_lol I feel like such an out sider now icon_frown               

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2007, 08:59:19 PM »

Is it possible to buy Madden 08, then buy bioshock for half off and then return madden 08 the next day?

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2007, 09:02:36 PM »

i have a feeling they'd only give you $30 for it, or demand that you return both.  exchange would be only for the 2nd game, so no getting bioshock and a non-madden for $90.  of course, this is moot to me as the clowns around here are holding back.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2007, 09:16:07 PM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on August 15, 2007, 08:59:19 PM

Is it possible to buy Madden 08, then buy bioshock for half off and then return madden 08 the next day?

That would be awesome. however like caine said you will only get credit for the 1/2 off deal. The work around for that is to return the seal game, ask for a store credit and tell them you don't have the receipt Make no mention on the special. Save your credit and get Stranglehold. 

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2007, 09:17:50 PM »

Yeah papa smurff and I hit up a few stores around town today with no luck.  Did pick up a Zune though.  It is almost sad when I get paid... it goes away so quickly.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2007, 09:25:06 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 15, 2007, 09:17:50 PM

Yeah papa smurff and I hit up a few stores around town today with no luck.  Did pick up a Zune though.  It is almost sad when I get paid... it goes away so quickly.

I know that feeling frown  Yeah, I pre-ordered the special edition for the PC.  Can't wait for the 21st smile

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2007, 10:17:56 PM »

The Target around here has put them on the shelves and is trying to get Gamestop to break the street date as well.  They didn't have any actually out, but papa smurff has them checking the back room for more copies.

Edit: and the answer is they are sold out... and it comes up Recall.  <sigh> I was hopeful for a minute there.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 10:28:13 PM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2007, 10:33:51 PM »

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53841

Read through this...kinda interesting if they did release it early.  There seems to be mass confusion right now.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2007, 10:37:35 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on August 15, 2007, 10:33:51 PM

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53841

Read through this...kinda interesting if they did release it early.  There seems to be mass confusion right now.

I think that was linked in another thread here but it looks like a bunch of bunk.  The most credible explanation right now is that a lot of TRU did sell them but TRU has since sent out a corporate memo telling them that it is in fact street-dated despite the lack of mention on the boxes. No other credible reports of other retailers breaking street dates so right now it looks like if you didn't get on the TRU last night/this morning then you're waiting until next week.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2007, 11:49:20 PM »

Via Gamestop's e-mail system about an hour ago - "We are sticking to the Tuesday release date for now."

Good news is that you'll be able to pick up the game as soon as they open on Tuesday, as they most definitely have them in stock.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2007, 12:41:33 AM »

Come on...BREAK IT. Come on 2k!!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2007, 12:48:29 AM »

Quote from: juniordan on August 15, 2007, 08:30:22 PM

Your from Ohio too holy crap........................I........................I'um.....................I ain't ever been there icon_lol I feel like such an out sider now icon_frown               

go away chump  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2007, 12:59:15 AM »

It would only make sense to me for them to go ahead and officially release it now.  Obviously the stores have the game.  Make money.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2007, 01:30:25 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 16, 2007, 12:59:15 AM

It would only make sense to me for them to go ahead and officially release it now.  Obviously the stores have the game.  Make money.

Street dates are a complicated thing.  The whole idea is to protect certain stores (often the smaller ones) who necessarily can't afford as fast of shipping.  Or, even the bigger ones who decide on slower shipping that's still guaranteed to get to the store in time for street date. 

For example, think of how disproportionate TRU's sales of this game are going to be- if they hadn't broke the date then odds are they wouldn't have sold out next week like many stores did today.  Stores like Gamestop, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and even smaller mom and pop stores all lost sales to TRU because they honored a street date when TRU didn't.  You can bet those stores are going to be pretty unhappy with 2K if they don't penalize TRU at all for the widespread breach. 

At this point 2K could give the order to lift the date but that hurts retailers (ie their business partners) who might not even have it in stock yet because they didn't think they would need it until next week based on 2K's offical release date.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2007, 01:40:40 AM »

That makes sense.  I would prefer it to make sense to put the game in my hands right now... but that hasn't happened yet.   icon_cool

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2007, 01:50:54 AM »

My local TRU knew about it and had already gotten the memo, supposdly they did have them out at one point. I can't play on the 360 because it's out for repair, but I was gonna get it and bring it to the GS I have the PC version pre-ordered and try to convince them to give me the real one. slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2007, 02:08:28 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 16, 2007, 01:40:40 AM

That makes sense.  I would prefer it to make sense to put the game in my hands right now... but that hasn't happened yet.   icon_cool

Oh yeah, I want it too and truly hope that 2K decides to give in on upping the release.  But I can see why it isn't an easy decision for them and my gut tells me that with the TRU leak seemingly locked down, barring another major leak, they'll hold everyone to the 21st.

Anyone remember a bunch of stores selling HL2 before it's release only to have Valve say "too bad" and refuse to allow the servers to authenticate before it's official release date?  I'm guessing this will be similar other than the fact that 2K can't actually stop people from playing the game on the 360. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2007, 04:35:17 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 16, 2007, 02:08:28 AM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 16, 2007, 01:40:40 AM

Oh yeah, I want it too and truly hope that 2K decides to give in on upping the release.  But I can see why it isn't an easy decision for them and my gut tells me that with the TRU leak seemingly locked down, barring another major leak, they'll hold everyone to the 21st.

Anyone remember a bunch of stores selling HL2 before it's release only to have Valve say "too bad" and refuse to allow the servers to authenticate before it's official release date?  I'm guessing this will be similar other than the fact that 2K can't actually stop people from playing the game on the 360. 

damn you and your cold hearted logic!  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2007, 04:53:43 AM »

I was DENIED today at TRU in Ann Arbor.  Tried to use the Madden/Bioshock deal (plus 20% off).  Asked the girl if they had Bioshock and she replied "We can't sell it until the 21st."  I said, "So you DO have it." 

"We just got an e-mail from Corporate today and they told us to stop selling it."

Ended up picking up Madden with Dirt for 81 bucks.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2007, 05:15:03 AM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on August 16, 2007, 04:53:43 AM

Ended up picking up Madden with Dirt for 81 bucks.

Personally, I would have demanded a clean copy. Tongue

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2007, 12:03:56 PM »

On my way back to the hotel I decided to check.

I could tell the guys were already battle weary before I asked.  When I did, the kid goes 'why is everyone asking us that?!"   The other guy just shook his head at me.

As I take guff from no one, I pulled a Merritt and punched him in the eye and took the remaining 6 copies he had behind the counter.

I'll be selling them in the trading forum.

one or more of these paragraphs may or may not be true, but two of them are. Can you guess which ones, boys and...more boys?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2007, 12:28:13 PM »

CeeKay counts as a girl.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »

Alrighty then...I was able to get about 3 hours in last night after my guest left. These are just brief impressions, as I didn't make it far enough to have a bunch of new information.

Graphics are nice. On a technical level I'm no so impressed, but the art direction is top notch. To look at everything as individual pieces it might come across as a bit disappointing, yet as a whole it works really well. Overall it has this strange clash of bright art-deco, and dark steampunk. Sometimes campy tounge-in-cheek, sometimes downright creepy.

The audio is fantastic. From the weapons, to plasmids, enemies, and enviroment...it's all tight. Fire sounds like a fire should, a pistol sounds like it packs a wallop. I will often turn off the music in games, but Bioshocks' is moody enough to match the situation and subtle enough that it's not artificially creating tension.

Gameplay. Hmmm...What is it? First and foremost, it's a shooter. I know that later stages will have some RPG-lite elements in the form of character building, but I'm not there yet. There seems to be a bit of puzzle/problem solving involved, both with the enviroment and hacking machines. Alot of hacking is possible, but not always necessary.

I'm only in the second area, so things could change...but a couple observations. You can save anywhere, which is nice. The Vita-chambers (respawn points) are far more spaced out once out of the  starting level. It's too early to talk about the overall linearity of it all, so far I'm guided to the area, but there are enough twists and turns that I don't feel as if I'm on rails. You have to make choices and may end up backtracking. I found the demo to be a bit too easy on medium difficulty, so I'm playing through on Hard...and it is. The AI is smarter, more aggressive, and harder to take down...ammo is in shorter supply, Plasmid use take much more Eve, and the food has a much smaller effect.

Anyways...I'm enjoying it so far.

Any questions I can answer without spoiling anything for anyone?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:30:01 PM by Booner » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2007, 01:41:39 PM »

Quote from: Booner on August 16, 2007, 01:26:19 PM

Does a Big Daddy ever shoot his drill out into an enemy and pump him full of air until he explodes?

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.  I'm debating back and forth over whether to buy it at release and play it on my SDTV, or to impatiently wait a few months to enjoy it on a HDTV.  If I wait to play it in HD, I might not finish it in time for Mass Effect and Rock Band.  Decisions decisions.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 16, 2007, 01:41:39 PM

Quote from: Booner on August 16, 2007, 01:26:19 PM

Does a Big Daddy ever shoot his drill out into an enemy and pump him full of air until he explodes?

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.  I'm debating back and forth over whether to buy it at release and play it on my SDTV, or to impatiently wait a few months to enjoy it on a HDTV.  If I wait to play it in HD, I might not finish it in time for Mass Effect and Rock Band.  Decisions decisions.

It still looks good in SD. Get it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: