http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 11:36:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a Wii for Christmas, now what?  (Read 1683 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 25, 2006, 09:55:27 AM »

It was completely unexpected.  Heck, when I saw the box it didn't even look small enough for a game console.  Still, imagine my surprise when I tear the paper and the words Ninendo Wii appears.  Turns out my aunt was at target when they announced they had gotten in a shipment of Wiis and PS3s, well she remembered I was looking for one and bought it, and then got a lot of other family to pitch in for it in leu of other presents.

Needless to say, our family had lots of fun playing tonight.  There's something for everyone in the system.  My uncle loves the golf, I'm looking forward to Zelda and other future shooters.

Not too many other games out for the system right now, I'll see what virtual console has to offer.  I need to pickup a lot more wiimotes and preferably 1 more nunchuck so we can do 2 player boxing.

Right now, more controllers, and some party/family games are what I'm looking for.  Hopefully someone will make a decent shooter for the system.  I see the wiimotes as being the rebirth of arcade style gun in hand shooters.  And I definitely want to see what they plan with that new Wii resident evil game, hopefully it'll be a better version of Dead Aim.

So, anyone get a Wii for christmas?
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 12:24:36 PM »

No, but I'm going to.  My in-laws (how great is that) couldn't find one, so they are going to send a check.  I'll have to hunt for one on my own.

Do you have a Gamecube?  I'm kinda looking forward to the Wii for the GC games that I missed out on like Metroid and Resident Evil (especially since I can get them cheep).

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 01:01:17 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 25, 2006, 09:55:27 AM

It was completely unexpected.  Heck, when I saw the box it didn't even look small enough for a game console.  Still, imagine my surprise when I tear the paper and the words Ninendo Wii appears.  Turns out my aunt was at target when they announced they had gotten in a shipment of Wiis and PS3s, well she remembered I was looking for one and bought it, and then got a lot of other family to pitch in for it in leu of other presents.

Needless to say, our family had lots of fun playing tonight.  There's something for everyone in the system.  My uncle loves the golf, I'm looking forward to Zelda and other future shooters.

Not too many other games out for the system right now, I'll see what virtual console has to offer.  I need to pickup a lot more wiimotes and preferably 1 more nunchuck so we can do 2 player boxing.

Right now, more controllers, and some party/family games are what I'm looking for.  Hopefully someone will make a decent shooter for the system.  I see the wiimotes as being the rebirth of arcade style gun in hand shooters.  And I definitely want to see what they plan with that new Wii resident evil game, hopefully it'll be a better version of Dead Aim.

So, anyone get a Wii for christmas?

*nod*  One of the big presents for the family was a Wii + Zelda and Trauma Center.    We just opened it a lil early...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 03:36:01 PM »

I got a Wii also.  Wii Sports is fun, especially tennis.  I will probably get Madden for it this week as my first actual game purchase. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 03:40:42 PM »

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam is a pretty good game if you want an SSX like experience.

I definitely recommend Zelda, Excite Truck, Rayman Raving Rabbids(best party game ever)

I trying to get Elebits and Super Swing Golf, they review in the mid to high 70's, but from what I've read I know I will enjoy those two immensely.

Definitley rent Red Steel, as you may really like it. It grew on me, but I am waiting for it to hit clearance prices.

Load up on some Virtual Console games, they are reasonably priced for what you get for the most part.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 06:22:45 PM »

download the opera browser too. i just got a wii for christmas too, posting from it now. icon_biggrin

Welcome to the Bovine.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 07:34:20 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 25, 2006, 03:40:42 PM

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam is a pretty good game if you want an SSX like experience.

Gamespot didn't like it too much, and most sites scores for it are average to low. That's been my problem trying to gauge whether I would like a lot of  these Wii games, none of them do stellar, but most of them have people who really praise the game in question. Like Excite Truck, it gets low review scores, but I keep reading posts from people who really like it. Super Swing Golf gets average scores, but at least rrmorton and myself love it. And then on the other hand Rayman gets decent scores, and it really didn't do anything for me.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 07:40:28 PM »

Yeah, I think reviewers are still adjusting to the new control schemes, integrating the your physical body as actual gameplay elements, and not just a control scheme, is one of the big things here.  Everyone's still figuring out what works and what doesn't now that your every move can be turned into a game response.  I suspect I'll be renting a lot of Wii games.

I'm definitely getting Zelda, that's a given.

Oh, I never had a gamecube, are there any games I should be getting?  I've already played through resident evil 4, so that's off the list, but any other good games I've missed would be nice.  How do I use gamecube games with the system, do I just put them in the same slot??  And for that matter, I've missed just about all Nintendo games since the SNES so recommendations on the VC would be nice.

Is there no online play/service for the Wii is Nintendo still working on that?  What about some sort of system link?  I mean the Wii is cheap and easily portable, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot without system link.  Especially so since the system isn't powerful enough to do 4 player split screen on some of the more graphically intensive games.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 07:46:52 PM by Turtle » Logged
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 09:56:35 PM »

Yeah I only had a gamecube for a few months before I sold it, so I'm looking forward to buying some of the system's hits.

I just need to get a controller first. Debating whether to buy the cheaper, wired controller; or to go for the wavebird wireless.

Welcome to the Bovine.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 10:25:24 PM »

Go Wavebird.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 10:30:37 PM »

Quote from: Belgedin on December 25, 2006, 10:25:24 PM

Go Wavebird.

I think I will too.  I need to pick up Super Smash Brothers Melee too  nod

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 02:52:20 AM »

All of you who got Wiis are lucky bastards and I hate you very much.  crybaby

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 02:59:31 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on December 26, 2006, 02:52:20 AM

All of you who got Wiis are lucky bastards and I hate you very much.  crybaby

Just come on over, I will let ya use mine (Shut up to everyone who thinks I am talking about something else).

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 03:47:26 AM »

After 5 weeks of waiting, the opening of the box finally arrived and it was worth the wait.
Didn't get a chance to do too much of any one thing.
Several Miis were made.
Some Wii Bowling, Tennis, and Boxing were played, highlighted by three generations cheering together when grandpa bowled a strike.
An hour was spent in Elebits tutorials.
A few races were run in Excite Truck.
No Rayman or Zelda Just yet.

I don't care what anybody says, we're playing the Wii on a 62" Toshiba DLP and it looks fantastic.
All the games we played looked great in their own way and I wasn't at all disappointed.
(Note, I am using component, but I sat back at one point thinking how good it looked,
then realized a minute later that the Wii was still set to 480i).
Is it photorealistic? No, but that isn't the point.

I've heard so many stories, yet it was still remarkable to see my father bowling in our
living room. My wife also got in on the action, taking on our son in a boxing match.
She is a total non-gamer, but I think she enjoyed it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 06:14:41 AM »

I also got a Wii-placeholder for Christmas.  frown  Now I have to figure out how to get one on my own.. ugh!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 09:05:05 PM »

The GF had convinced me to sell my brothers Wii ( the one that a few GT members had expressed interest in) to one of her old friends as she was looking for one for her hubby.

As it turns out, they had found one, but my gf kept up the story and wrapped that lil' bastard up for ME!

Totally blindsided; she's a conniving little... angel.  disgust

icon_biggrin Best. Christmas gift from a gf. Ever.

It's not just the object, it's the nature of manipulation that still makes me grin from ear-to-ear.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 12:28:41 AM »

Add me to the list of folks who got $$ for a Wii, but a Wii itself is still nothing but a ghost in San Diego.  One of these days I'll find one...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 02:10:22 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on December 27, 2006, 12:28:41 AM

Add me to the list of folks who got $$ for a Wii, but a Wii itself is still nothing but a ghost in San Diego.  One of these days I'll find one...

I have mixed feelings about availability.  I want one, so I hope stores are able to keep them in stock.  On the other hand, I want it to be extra successful and hope it continues to sell.  I ask the EB clerk (for what it's worth) how long before they think they will take before the Wii is regularly in stock.  She told me it took six months before they could keep the 360 in stock.  Soon, I'll go on the great Wii hunt (along with the great nunchuck hunt).

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 02:48:45 AM »

Picked one up a few days before Christmas.  I walked in on the shipment at EB games and I saw an opportunity to grab one.  I spent a few days deciding on whether to sell it or keep it.  Zelda went on sale so I picked that up today and opened 'er up.  Wii Sports has been a blast all day and I haven't opened up Zelda yet.  I figured that it was pretty hard to find and I'm backing on some cool future games.  I just have to bring myself to shell out $60 for another remote+nunchuck.  icon_wink
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 04:38:31 AM »

Here's some of my impressions on recent games I rented.

Red Steel is both a hit and miss.  I just wish there was an option for another control scheme besides using the pointer to turn.  Otherwise, mediocre graphics, mediocre plot, mediocre characters, and funky swordplay are still carried by some fun gunplay.  Red Steel will probably be known as the game to show the possibilities for using the pointer control for gun games.  The next round of FPS games should be interesting.  I think the most needed thing for Red Steel was akimbo pistols, where a second player could take control of the other pistol and play co-operatively.  I don't think I'll keep this one, probably switch it out for some other games.

Zelda is Zelda, it's good and it's Zelda.  You know what to expect and it doesn't disapoint.

Rayman was a miss with me, of the first round of story mode games I was only able to play the Bunnies don't give gifts game.  I wasn't able to proceed any farther because the other games just didn't work for me.

And for some more general comments:  It's interesting to see the difference in attitudes to the Wii between casual, hardcore, and non gamers.  My family is made up of mostly casual (online poker, solitaire, and the occasional action game) and non gamers.  Almost all of them reacted well to the Wii and were able to play and grasp the Wii.  My other friends, a quite odd group, are mostly violent gamers and were actually turned away by the lack of more mature or violent games on the system.  They were also the first to comment on the graphics.  Wii sports went over their heads as they shunned its seemingly simplistic graphics and gameplay.  I almost drew them in with Red Steel, until they saw how quirky the controls were and the graphics.

Looking over the list of upcoming games I notice not a whole lot of mature games (and by mature I don't mean just violent games, just ones with mature themes and characters).  But, I suppose that's a given since it's Nintendo, at least for now.  I suspect studios were waiting to see how well the Wii would be accepted, and since it's doing very well this may be the first Nintendo console to have both great family and simple fun games, alongside a just as good library of mature titles.  Of course, that's wishful thinking... but I do wish it happens soon.  Tongue

Until then, I can play my dad's 360 for mature games with graphics galore, and in the future I'll buy a PS3, and I'll always have my Wii for family fun games.

By the way, can anyone tell me what exactly the controllers keep track of in terms of player movement?  The pointer uses the sensor bar, but otherwise that can't be used to position the wiimote.  Of course there's a rotational sensor, is there an accelerometer too?  Also, what's the word on connectivity with gameboys and the DS with this one?  I was thinking of buying Zelda Four swords and noticed it could hook up to a gameboy.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll exchange some games and try out trauma center, fishing, monkey ball, or even excite truck.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 04:52:48 AM »

I had my Wii  a month before  any of my coworkers and friends had one. After a week straight of tennis, my arm was sore. Everyone in the building got a huge laugh at my expense, and many thought they coined the term Wii elbow.

Since then, many people have gotten Wiis or played a friends. Hardcore gamers that thought it looked stupid even. They are all converted after playing it. Many complaining of sore arms. Bastards. At least I can say I told you so.

Sports seems to be the title though. Nintendo desperately needs to come up with more games like it IMO. The current crop of games won't keep those people.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 02:50:31 PM »

I am thinking about picking up Farcry.  I know it got terrible reviews but I thought the gameplay videos I saw looked fun.  I was going to get Madden but I now realize that I have already purchased 3 versions of Madden this year and I don't want to give EA my money for the 4th time.  paranoid

Wii sports is cool as a party game, but I just can't see myself sitting down to play it as a single player game.  I know it sounds crazy but there are zero Wii games that I am compelled to buy at this point.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 05:11:24 PM »

Play the sports training games, you will drive yourself crazy doing some of them. There are some real challenges in that mode. Otherwise the game is good in smaller doses.

I've been eyeing Elebits and Super Swing, and beyond that I use the Virtual Console.

The 360 is really my main system, but that's also because it has a year's worth of library and development.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 12:14:21 AM »

I got Me\my kid a wii for Xmas and like everyone else who got one it was worth every penny.
everyone got in on the action even my non gamer wife killed everyone in tennis. She is more fit than the rest of us.

I am confused however on how to add people to the account or plaza I tried adding KnightShade for example in the address book thing, and I don't know what happened.

Can someone help?

XBox GAMERTAG:Juniordan     ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222  ()  ()  ()
PlayStation: Spinks      ()  ()  ()
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 05:56:58 AM »

Quote from: juniordan on December 28, 2006, 12:14:21 AM

I am confused however on how to add people to the account or plaza I tried adding KnightShade for example in the address book thing, and I don't know what happened.

Can someone help?

The other party has to add you back for the connection to be complete. Then his name won't be grayed out in the address book and you will be able to send messages, Miis etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: