http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 07:01:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a question about non-official XBOX HD cables  (Read 1108 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2004, 05:31:52 PM »

Been looking at this auction on EBAY http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41016&item=8150318531&rd=1 hoping to upgrade to Component cables for my TV (its a non HD TV but I am currently using my DVD player on the Component and my S-Video for my XBOX, but thinking of temporarily switching them). Anyway, I cant figure out how I could keep my optical out, to my Home Theater System, to keep my XBOX's 5.1 sound, if I used these cables. Do any of you guys have experience with these non-Microsoft branded cables? I know Microsoft's HD kit comes with a box, just like my current kit does, that allows for Optical out, but I dont wanna buy these if I lose 5.1 sound. Any advice? Experiences? Ideas?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Rob81Lakes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 05:53:27 PM »

What's wrong with the standard Microsoft HD cable?  It has the optical out that you need for 5.1.

I don't see an optical out on that Ebay cable.

XBL gamertag:  Rob81Lakes
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 06:00:23 PM »

Quote from: "Rob81Lakes"
What's wrong with the standard Microsoft HD cable?  It has the optical out that you need for 5.1.

I don't see an optical out on that Ebay cable.

Well, its about twice the price, and I was hoping to get that bundle, which also came with the DVD remote (something I have never owned even though I have been an XBOX owner since Day 1).

Have any of you guys had experience going from S-Video to Component on a regular TV? Mine is a good, solid 32in Panasonic, and XBOX games look fine at S-Video, but I have always wondered if they look much better on Component.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 06:49:52 PM »

Just bought the AV kit from Target last week; the official one; for $16.99.  The dvd kit never had interest because I already have a DVD player, and that one I can turn on from my couch with the remote (not possible with the dvd kit)

I'd suspect third party works okay; I just shy away from them myself.

I'd be more concerned with anyone on EBay who charges $7.99 shipping on something like this (which could easily be shipped USPS priority mail for -- $4 is it now?)

Just my two cents.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 07:08:41 PM »

The jump from RCA to S-Video is greater than the jump from S-Video to Component.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 02:59:47 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
The jump from RCA to S-Video is greater than the jump from S-Video to Component.

Not if you have an HDTV... there is no comparison. SVideo is icky.

slywink 480p+ for me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 03:05:43 PM »

Quote from: "jblank"
Well, its about twice the price, and I was hoping to get that bundle, which also came with the DVD remote (something I have never owned even though I have been an XBOX owner since Day 1).

Have any of you guys had experience going from S-Video to Component on a regular TV? Mine is a good, solid 32in Panasonic, and XBOX games look fine at S-Video, but I have always wondered if they look much better on Component.

Unless you need a DVD player on that box, the remote is weak. (I wouldn't bother). It's basically an RCA universal remote without the power and eject buttons.

As to using Component on a standard (non-HD) TV? The difference from composite-Svideo is about the same as Svideo-Component ... component separates out the three color signals, producing a sharper picture than Svideo. If you're looking at getting an HD set anytime soon, I'd suggest getting the component cable. If you're strapped for cash and the games look great, then I wouldn't bother.

The MS one is better than this cable as it has the digital optical plug; if you wanted the best picture quality check out Monsters HD kit (and separate audio cable for optical output).

Either way is more pricy than this option; I think you're best bet is the MS one.   Cool

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 03:17:14 PM »

I don't think the Svideo to Component switch is worth the money for most people.  Its a must have if you have an HDTV but for regular sets the difference isn't nearly as apparent as going from composite to S-Video.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 03:24:02 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Quote from: "AgtFox"

Not if you have an HDTV... there is no comparison. SVideo is icky.

slywink 480p+ for me.

Funny, I thought we were talking non-HDTV here which is where my comparison came from.  Once HDTV comes into the picture there is no competition.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: