http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 03:32:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a DS Lite!  (Read 3528 times)
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2006, 10:00:14 PM »

Also got a DS Lite (gift from my wife for father's day). Agree that it's much sleeker and sexier than the previous version (my wife and daughter have DS's). The screen is also brighter, though I've been using it at only 1 notch up from the lowest level to try to save battery life.

So far the only game I've played on this is Age of Empires, which is fun but a bit puzzly in the gampaign (and I've also encountered a couple of bugs and one complete hard lock up).

Couple of questions:

* Is there anyway to switch the brightness from within a game?

* Can anyone comment on "LostMagic"? Not great reviews, but the description of it appeals to me for some reason.

In general, I'm hoping the DS platform will see more turn-based strategy and other non-twitch games that make use of the stylus.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2006, 10:40:35 PM »

sclick, check out Advance wars and Battles of prince of Persia.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2006, 12:41:32 AM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
I haven't even heard anyone mention Animal Crossing DS?

Well there is a 16 page thread here: http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10203
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2006, 01:03:11 AM »

Alright, another battery Q for you guys ...

Is it better to run the DS down until the battery's almost totally drained then charge it, or to charge the unit when not in use? Just so I don't wreck/waste the battery's lifespan.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
unbreakable
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2006, 01:10:29 AM »

That only worked on nicad batteries, I believe.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2006, 01:44:24 AM »

I got one for Father's Day too!  My wife and daughter monopolized it for Nintendogs and so I commandeered another to play my stuff!  One or both DS Lite was on pretty much the entire weekend, while we were awake.

So far I have played:

Nintendogs.  This is cool, really cool at first.  After a while though...One of my problems with the game is the way it relies on voice recognition.  My dog isnt doing what I said.  How much is it because: 1) I am not speaking consistently 2) The mic sucks 3) The game is modeling a young/stubborn dog?  I dont know, but its irritating wondering which it is.  This aside, there just isnt a lot to do in the game.  Teaching a dog tricks, going for walks and a few contests where the announcers are goddamn irritating, saying the same things all the time, and can not be turned off.  My 4 year old loves this game.  So does my wife.  This is the only game I have played any 'multiplayer' with the DS.

Brain Age.  Urge to kill...rising.  I want to smash that talking computer head.  The game does not know how the word BLUE sounds.  I can say it 50 times, 50 ways and it might recognize it 2 of the 50.  Fuck you game.  I also have a really tough time getting it to recognize my letters in the handwriting games.  These two points kind of ruin the game.

Age of Empires: Age of Kings.  This is my kind of game on paper, big time.  Tactical combat.  Semi-historical.  TURN BASED.  All wins in my book.  I heard before I got a DS, people criticizing the way the units cluttered the battlefield.  I shrugged this off thinking it wouldnt bother me.  Well, it does.  It gets very cluttered and it makes playing the game a lot more tedious than it ought to be.

Battles of Prince of Persia.  I like Battles of Prince of Persia a lot.  The art and interface are spartan and the deck builder is a crappy interface, but aside from that, I love it.  The tactical combat mechanics are great.  It models stuff a lot of non-wargames do not like facing and morale.  The cards add another dimension to the game.  I have played some CCGs but never on the computer.  I dont think this game did very well though (people interested in Prince of Persia are not looking for turn based tactics, I dont think) so I doubt there will be a sequel or anything else like it.

Trauma Center.  Nice concept.  Kind of tough though, for me.  I havent gotten anything but a 'rank c' which sounds like the bottom of the barrel to me.  I suck at suturing and I suck at making a circle to magnify.  I think I have only done like 5 operations so I am not that far.

olaf
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2006, 02:35:20 AM »

Quote from: "sclick"
Can anyone comment on "LostMagic"? Not great reviews, but the description of it appeals to me for some reason.

to the extent that i'm having a great time with monster hunter: freedom, camera issues, repetious gameplay & all, believe me when i say that lostmagic, despite having all the right 'ideas' going for it, just plain fails terribly in execution. had they simply removed the 'timed mission' element, or even been a bit more generous with the amount of time allotted, the game might've been enjoyable as is, but, when you're stuck frantically micro-managing your non-pathfinding units, fumbling with your magic spells, & constantly running out of magic power to boot, you're basically left dealing with all the frustration of trauma center, minus all that game's humor & charm...

very disappointing - definitely try it before buying...

ps: no ds is complete without copies of animal crossing & phoenix wright...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2006, 11:57:03 AM »

The game does not know how the word BLUE sounds. I can say it 50 times, 50 ways and it might recognize it 2 of the 50.

I told Brain Age to f'off at one point with the blue issue.  The game then stopped and told me it was having trouble understanding me, and switched to another challenge.  I don't bother with the talking part now (tell the game that I'm not in an area I can speak when it asks).  

I got the DS Lite for Father's Day as well, with a copy of Brain Age.  So far, I really like the system.  Its small, and the screens are bright.  No real complaints about it.

Brain Age has been a ton of fun for my wife and I, so much that I'm tempted to grab the other Brain Training game.  Sodoku is also great, and seems almost a perfect version of the game.  I've never played Soduko before, but its so well done that I could see myself getting hooked.

I also grabbed Kirby for the DS.  I'm not a platformer fan really, but Kirby's controls are very well done, and the game is enjoyable.  My 5 year old is absolutely hooked on the game as well.

Phoenix Wright, Ouendan, and Battles of Prince of Persia are on their way from eBay now!

---
XBox Live: ScottW
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2006, 12:45:28 PM »

I need some advice on my stuck pixel, his name is Red.  He's always shining on the top screen, all the way on the right edge, a third of the way up on the screen.  When I first noticed him, I was disgusted and determined to replace the system no matter what.  Now that I've used it for a while, my willpower is fading a bit.  Red is easy to notice if the screen is black, but you can hardly (or not at all) see him if his pixel neighbors are lit up.

Is it worth going through Nintendo's customer support?  (My local EB is being ass and taking a hard line against pixel issues.)  I'd love a perfect screen but I'm worried my replacement DS Lite will end up having a stuck/broken pixel in a more prominent, in the way location.  Should I just learn to love little out of the way Red?

For reference, here's an artist's rendition of what he looks like:  .
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2006, 01:02:40 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
I need some advice on my stuck pixel, his name is Red.  He's always shining on the top screen, all the way on the right edge, a third of the way up on the screen.  When I first noticed him, I was disgusted and determined to replace the system no matter what.  Now that I've used it for a while, my willpower is fading a bit.  Red is easy to notice if the screen is black, but you can hardly (or not at all) see him if his pixel neighbors are lit up.

Is it worth going through Nintendo's customer support?  (My local EB is being ass and taking a hard line against pixel issues.)  I'd love a perfect screen but I'm worried my replacement DS Lite will end up having a stuck/broken pixel in a more prominent, in the way location.  Should I just learn to love little out of the way Red?

For reference, here's an artist's rendition of what he looks like:  

the way nintendo worked with the original DS is they would send you a new one with a prepaid envelop for the bad one.  You didn't even have to wait a month or so without a ds or anything.  I would go that way is EB is being dumb.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2006, 01:04:42 PM »

Red has been appearing on shirts under popped zits on teenagers for years. If their wardrobe can handle the burden of having Red, so can your screen. biggrin

I'd suggest getting it replaced. Also, go to a different EB. Or, you could go to someplace like Costco and buy one there, and then return the one with Red on it. biggrin Or Bestbuy, etc....

I is a sneaky bastage, I is, I is.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2006, 03:56:38 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
(My local EB is being ass and taking a hard line against pixel issues.)

Do you have another EB nearby? Or perhaps a Gamestop?

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2006, 04:08:54 AM »

Sorry to be an ass, but I'm still curious to hear your thoughts on this:

Quote from: "Dafones"
Is it better to run the DS down until the battery's almost totally drained then charge it, or to charge the unit when not in use? Just so I don't wreck/waste the battery's lifespan.

Do you guys plug it in at night, every night? More importantly, is that bad for the battery?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2006, 04:48:43 AM »

Quote from: "olaf"
Brain Age.  Urge to kill...rising.  I want to smash that talking computer head.  The game does not know how the word BLUE sounds.  I can say it 50 times, 50 ways and it might recognize it 2 of the 50.  Fuck you game.  I also have a really tough time getting it to recognize my letters in the handwriting games.  These two points kind of ruin the game.

Hahaha this post is so comforting to me because when I first played this game I thought I had some sort of speech impediment.  The game really does not register the word blue at all--and my fiancee didn't believe me until she played.  We both share your sentiments.  I found a trick to registering blue though.  You have to say it very softly and emphasize the "oo."  I get it now maybe 9/10 times.

One of my favorite games. biggrin
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2006, 11:33:28 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Do you guys plug it in at night, every night? More importantly, is that bad for the battery?

Yes and no idea.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: