http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:56:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a DS Lite!  (Read 3563 times)
pr0ner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:52:47 PM »

Yes, I'm starting a new topic, but I'm lazy and don't feel like searching.

I bought a DS Lite today (well, my brother did for me, I'll get it on Tuesday).

I also had him get Mario Kart and Castlevania for it.

I'm planning on getting Advance Wars as well.

What else is out there now that I should get?  I want to limit it to just one or two games.  I was thinking about Mario Brothers, but the reviews on this board seem mixed.

Games that can be obtained by Tuesday (since I'm going out of town then) only, please!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 09:43:16 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"
I was thinking about Mario Brothers, but the reviews on this board seem mixed.

Mixed, huh?  What, like 3 people didn't like it and the rest love it.

You could try either of the brain games for real cheap, meteos is good, kirby canvas curse...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 11:15:01 PM »

I just got one as well and so far I LOVE IT.

The games I picked up=
New Super Mario
Advance Wars - Dual Strike
Meteos (used)
Mario & Luigi - Partners in Time (used)

And I ordered Kirby's Canvas Curse via Amazon.

The new Mario is a totally fresh blast from the past. It's awesome.

Meteos, my first gameplay experience with the stylus and touch pad, is insanely addictive. I like it better than Lumines.

I haven't tried the other games yet. I'm savoring them slowly but I'll probably get to Advance Wars later tonight.

What's the forum concensus on the Age of Empires title?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 11:33:08 PM »

Age of Empires was too clunky and totally outclassed by Advance Wars.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:21:02 AM »

AOE is a solid title that just needs that extra level of polish to make it a great game. Worth it if you can get a deal on it. I had a good 15 to 20 hours of enjoyment and never finished it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
T
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 01:06:54 AM »

I've only palyed the first two campaign missions on AOE, but so far I really like it.  It's a very deep game.  My only gripe so far is that sometimes it's hard to distinguish units.  If they didn't use an isometric view it would have been much better IMO.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 12:58:05 PM »

AoE also has some glitches in the game that annoy the hell out of me..levels that you beat but will never end, and some people have the misfortune of having the game completely lock up and die.  Honestly I would say get Advance Wars (even though I have no played it yet)

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 01:26:23 PM »

I have a copy of AoE available for trade, if anyone is interested.  smile

Also, Rob, give Partners in Time a try. Once you get past the lengthy story set-up, it grows increasingly addictive as you gain more skills, items, and abilities. I really, really liked it.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 01:48:04 PM »

Quote from: "T"
I've only palyed the first two campaign missions on AOE, but so far I really like it.  It's a very deep game.  My only gripe so far is that sometimes it's hard to distinguish units.  If they didn't use an isometric view it would have been much better IMO.

That really got more and more annoying for me as the units piled up.  I just kinda lost interest in the game mostly because of the cluttered graphics.
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 03:12:25 PM »

This topic is helpful to me too, as I just traded my old DS for a DSLite and couldn't be happier. The old DS seems like a child's toy as compared to the sleek, sexy (designed by Apple) DSL.

So I tried Advance Wars DS, but got about 10 missions in and they all felt like training missions. Does the game hold your hand throughout?

Thanks for the comments on AOE as I was planning on grabbing this one as well, but may pass on it. I enjoyed the heck out of AOE on my PC when it was first release, is it the same type of gameplay?

Also, what about GBA games? Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy IV?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 03:20:22 PM »

Quote from: "Poomba"
This topic is helpful to me too, as I just traded my old DS for a DSLite and couldn't be happier. The old DS seems like a child's toy as compared to the sleek, sexy (designed by Apple) DSL.

So I tried Advance Wars DS, but got about 10 missions in and they all felt like training missions. Does the game hold your hand throughout?

Thanks for the comments on AOE as I was planning on grabbing this one as well, but may pass on it. I enjoyed the heck out of AOE on my PC when it was first release, is it the same type of gameplay?

Also, what about GBA games? Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy IV?

Advance Wars has a pretty extensive training section but that goes away eventually.  You can also do a "skirmish" type game with AW and those are fun.

Age of Empires DS is turn-based not real-time like the PC ancestors.  It still plays similarly but... different!

Fire Emblem is awesome.  I lost a good chunk of my life to that game.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 04:08:51 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"

Also, Rob, give Partners in Time a try. Once you get past the lengthy story set-up, it grows increasingly addictive as you gain more skills, items, and abilities. I really, really liked it.

I really don't grok what this game is like. It looks like a platformer, but people describe it as an rpg, talk about items, etc.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 04:50:49 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Quote from: "Captain Caveman"

I really don't grok what this game is like. It looks like a platformer, but people describe it as an rpg, talk about items, etc.

It's an action-RPG.  It's basically similar to the Paper Mario games or the Mario RPG on the SNES.  They have turn-based battles where if you press a button at a particular moment you can inflict more damage or block attacks.  The Mario & Luigi games also have some of the best, funniest writing I've ran across in games.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 12:11:03 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, bitches.

I'm having a hard time putting NEw Super Mario down to try any of my other games. LOVE MY DS LITE!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 05:28:07 AM »

I wanna pick up a DSL now so flippin' bad ... but have the buttons always been that small? I tried a old school DS the other day, and the d-pad is so teeny. Is that how small the NES controllers were? Did I actually grow up?

But seriously, does anyone find the DS/DSL controls too small to play comfortably?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 02:11:28 PM »

i dont have a problem with it.  i have large hands, but I also have long thin fingers so maybe thats why i dont have a issue.  <shrug>
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 02:35:57 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
They have turn-based battles where if you press a button at a particular moment you can inflict more damage or block attacks.

It's that kind of stuff and the mention of combos etc that worries me. Is it twitchy? I'm not a twitch gamer. I'm really enjoying Castlevania on the DS, but if it's significantly more twitchy than that or I have to handle lots of different button combos, I might get frustrated with it. I dunno...I keep hearing this one is so great, but the box doesn't seem to do it justice. maybe I should just grab it at work and give it a shot.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 03:44:24 PM »

Mario & Luigi is not  more twitchy than Castllevania.  If you can handle CV you should be more than fine for M&L.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 03:47:01 PM »

There are too many great games on this system....

warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 05:09:22 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Mario & Luigi is not  more twitchy than Castllevania.  If you can handle CV you should be more than fine for M&L.

Absolutely.  About the extent of it is when you battle (turn-based battles) you have the ability to jump on your opponents.  If you press the button just before you jump on the enemy they take extra damage.  Similarly when you're being attacked you can press the button at the right time and block their attack or even block and counterattack.

It's seriously great stuff and often laugh out loud funny.  You can pick up the first Mario & Luigi game for $20 and it's worth twice that.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 05:57:47 PM »

Don't take this question the wrong way, but what is the embarassment factor of being a grown man and playing on a DSL?  I really DO want one, but I'm an elementary school teacher and I hear the 8 and 9 year olds always talking about it and the games, and that makes me feel foolish for wanting one.  Again, this is not trolling - I am genuinely curious.  I guess I would mostly play in bed or in the can, so it's not like I'm on a train or anything.  Still, I would like to know your thoughts.  I truly don't mean to insult anyone.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 06:16:46 PM »

Quote from: "Vinda-Lou"
Don't take this question the wrong way, but what is the embarassment factor of being a grown man and playing on a DSL?  I really DO want one, but I'm an elementary school teacher and I hear the 8 and 9 year olds always talking about it and the games, and that makes me feel foolish for wanting one.  Again, this is not trolling - I am genuinely curious.  I guess I would mostly play in bed or in the can, so it's not like I'm on a train or anything.  Still, I would like to know your thoughts.  I truly don't mean to insult anyone.

I guess it just comes down if you care what other people think about you.  I'm 23 and I've played my DS in public many times.  Some people give you strange looks, but really, who cares?  I got the same looks while playing my PSP.  Mostly it is either guys that think they are the shit or older people.  This day in our technological age, most people dont even really seem to notice you are playing a video game.  And if they do, so what?  The opinion of other people really has no effect on me at this point in my life.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 06:26:42 PM »

I am 33, I play mine at work all the time, and people sit and watch.

Course, I am a bit strange, so maybe they just expect it of me.  I also know that a friend of mine and his wife both play handhelds as well as Guitar Hero, and she used to be a Sub.  I dont know if she still is.

I never really cared what people thought either way.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 06:27:26 PM »

I've only played in publicly while traveling, most people don't even look at me, it's even more fun when my wife and I are both playing it, but whenever someone does notice they usually ask about it with great curiosity, the machine looks a lot less like a game machine, expecially now, so most people who've ever taken notice are more interested than I am embarassed.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 06:41:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure I'd be comfortable busting out a DSL out on campus (if I was still in school), or on a train ride/skytrain/subway to work. (A bus ride would probably be too short.) Video games are mainstream, they're common.

But it doesn't hurt that the DSL is finally looks a little slicker.

Anyone know if there are any plans for other colours? Black? Silver?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2006, 07:49:29 PM »

Thanks for the opinions, guys.  I'm leaning toward getting one.  I have a psp currently, but I never play it.  In fact, I've really only used it to watch movies, but I just can't get motivated to play it.  I might sell it along with my games, mem cards, etc. and pick up a DSL.  Incidentally, I never felt weird playing the psp or watching movies on it.  But for some reason I had issues with the DS.  But I'm looking forward to picking one up soon.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2006, 09:05:43 PM »

I'm 30 years old, married, with a kid and I really could care less what other people think about me since I don't need to impress anyone nor do random strangers have any impact on my life.  Consequently, I have no issue playing my DS in public.  

And I wouldn't necessarilly assume that the DS is somehow less cool than, say, the PSP.  My wife, for example, much prefers me playing the DS over the PSP since the DS has games that seem much more acceptable to her, even if she doesn't really play games herself.  And I think many would find playing *any* video game system somewhat uncool and to those folks I really don't think it matters a lick whether it's a DS, PSP, Gameboy Advance, or what have you.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

I broke it out waiting to get my oil changed yesterday and didn't think twice about. Coincidentally, the place had unsecured wifi so I gamed on with some of my fellow MKers from across the globe.

Vive Lite!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2006, 09:22:15 PM »

I play my DSL and PSP when I ride the public transportation train in downtown Portland every weekday to and from work.  No one has ever asked about it (due to the contingent of bumly people always riding along with usual business-professionals) nor do I feel the least bit embarrassed busting any one of those out.

It beats just staring into space for 30 minutes!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2006, 09:31:35 PM »

Incidentally, I never felt weird playing the psp or watching movies on it.  But for some reason I had issues with the DS.  

The DSL is much more "slick" looking than the old DS...much more like the SP in that respect. In the white, it looks like something Apple would have made.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2006, 10:09:08 PM »

Don't take this question the wrong way, but what is the embarassment factor of being a grown man and playing on a DSL?

Whenever I take mine to work I am the coolest cat in the room!  Of course I work with 12 year olds so I guess I can get away with it! :lol:

I usually just play mine at home.  I've never taken it out in public except when I bought a GBA SP just for jury duty. :wink:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2006, 10:57:04 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

The DSL is much more "slick" looking than the old DS...much more like the SP in that respect. In the white, it looks like something Apple would have made.

Not to mention you can dress it up with super hot skins.

I ordered this one.

Gimme10 = 10% off for a coupon code.

Once again courtesy of Cheap Ass Gamer.

That site also has the Hori Screen Protectors (for 8.30 shipped w/ coupon).  The Hori is supposed to be the best...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 01:19:01 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I broke it out waiting to get my oil changed yesterday and didn't think twice about. Coincidentally, the place had unsecured wifi so I gamed on with some of my fellow MKers from across the globe.

That's frickin' awesome. I wonder if anyone has an open wireless router anywhere in my apartment building ...

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2006, 04:03:47 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
That site also has the Hori Screen Protectors (for 8.30 shipped w/ coupon).  The Hori is supposed to be the best...

Let me fix that for you:

Hori is the best.

There.

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 09:04:21 PM »

Is a screen protector really necessary?

olaf
depward

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 11:33:34 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
Is a screen protector really necessary?

olaf

For games like Ouendan when you're spinning something around as fast as you can, yes.

For other games?  Not so much.  Unless you play Feel the Magic / Rub Rabbits, then you might want a screen protector.

My old DS had some pretty nasty wear due to Ouendan use.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2006, 05:28:33 PM »

I haven't even heard anyone mention Animal Crossing DS?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 09:01:06 PM »

Okey Doke, I picked up a lil' DS Lite today, have the thing charging up as I type.

And I want to know how I'm supposed to treat the battery. Does it have a recharge memory? Can I turn the unit on now, while it charges, before the recharge is done, without shooting myself in the foot? I'm so programmed to fully charge something that I'm almost afraid to turn my new toy on. Do I have to worry about it?

The thing is beautiful, by the way. Much nicer than the original. I even like the, what, bevelled? edge along the lower screen. Well done. Fingers crossed that there's no dead pixels ...

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 09:16:51 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Okey Doke, I picked up a lil' DS Lite today, have the thing charging up as I type.

And I want to know how I'm supposed to treat the battery. Does it have a recharge memory? Can I turn the unit on now, while it charges, before the recharge is done, without shooting myself in the foot? I'm so programmed to fully charge something that I'm almost afraid to turn my new toy on. Do I have to worry about it?

The thing is beautiful, by the way. Much nicer than the original. I even like the, what, bevelled? edge along the lower screen. Well done. Fingers crossed that there's no dead pixels ...

I played mine while it was charging, we got ours on the 11th, and we haven't had to charge them again, so you're a okay in my book. We actually used to allways play our old ones while charging as well with no issues. I've probably put 8 hours of playing in since that first charge so I am sure I am due soon...

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 09:53:30 PM »

Thing looks sharp, plays sharp, and both screens are good, as far as I can tell. Man, New Super Mario Bros is such a blast from the past. Maybe the DS will be the reason I go eco friendly and start taking the bus to work.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: