http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 11:23:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Xbox Games You May Be Missing...  (Read 3855 times)
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2005, 03:21:10 AM »

Hello, everyone! I thought I'd take a few moments and share some Xbox gems that don't receive nearly enough respect. Some are rough around the edges, while others are as fluid as mercury.  I hope you'll all give these titles a second (or first) glance.  They deserve their 15 minutes of fame.

Dai Senryaku VII: ($20 new)

A fantastic new turn-based strategy release for the Xbox.  I cannot rave about this game enough!  400 units, an excellent map builder,  a huge campaign, free form play, multiplayer options, aggressive AI and SAVE AT ANY POINT options. This the big daddy of games like Advance Wars and Massive Assault. The graphics are not xbox-worthy, but this is the best strategy game on any console platform at the moment.  If you love strategy games, you MUST give this title a test run.

Reviews: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/583046.asp?q=dai

Buy:  http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/244817.asp

Deathrow: ($20 new)

A futuristic sports title that is fast, furious, and supremely violent. This is one of the original Xbox release titles that did not receive nearly enough accolades.  Win by finesse or beat the other team into submission.  Smack people around with an electrified disc, and then kick them in the back of the head.  Having a hard time scoring? Kill the other team! The game has tons of options and some very fluid controls. Play arena matches against Ninja, Convicts and Mutants. Andrenaline junkies only! This game moves FAST!  One word of warning- the first hour of the game is daunting. The computer will eat you alive until you understand how to adjust to the speed and treat your team properly.

Reviews:  http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/560434.asp

Buy: New copies at Amazon.com

Phantom Dust ($20 new, available in March)

After playing the incredible Japanese demo, I was hooked. Phantom Dust is an action/tactical title that boasts some beautiful eye candy, and tons of skills ("cards") to acquire and abuse.  Although the game focuses on multiplayer, there is a solid 100+ mission single-player portion to conquer.  Phantom Dust is a great $20 addiction.

Reviews: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/918888.asp

Buy: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/255669.asp

Wrath Unleashed: ($20 new)

This is the weak link of the group, but still a solid, unusual title. Part intense fighting-action, part hex-based fantasy strategy. Throw in a dose of magic and blend.  The game has some wonderful elements that give it more depth then can be seen at face value.  Wrath Unleashed is a diamond in the rough that is worth $20.  

Reviews:  http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914875.asp?q=wrath%20unleashed

Buy:  Amazon.com

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath:  ($50 new)

Its hard to believe this game is selling poorly because it is so damned good.  This is one of the best FPS games for the xbox. It has a unique setting, outlandish characters, and some great live ammunition (I mean that literally). Who wouldn't want to be a bounty hunter? Apparently most people.  Its hard to believe that Microsoft dropped this quality title, but based on initial sales it looks like they made the right choice.

Reviews: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/915256.asp?q=oddworld

Buy:  http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/246237.asp

Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders ($20 new)

Dynasty Warriors on steriods. Better graphics. More units. More strategy. More upgrades. The control scheme takes some time to master, the voice-overs are grating, but the combat is simply awesome.
KUF 2 has already been announced.

Reviews: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/475761.asp?q=kingdom%20under%20fire

Buy: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243962.asp
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 03:25:14 AM »

Dai Senryaku VII: ($20 new) - Got it
Deathrow: ($20 new) - Had it
Phantom Dust ($20 new, available in March) - Gettin it
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath: ($50 new) - Got it

All good choices!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 03:31:26 AM »

The Devil is one class act.    (Hmmm...that doesn't sound so good...)
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 03:44:38 AM »

I already own Deathrow, KoF: The Crusaders, and Oddworld: SW.

I am definately going to get Dai Senryaku VII when I see it and plan on Phantom Dust when it's released.

Since I dig your tastes I am going to see if I can't find a copy of Wrath.  I'm always up for something a little different.

I love this topic, by the way.  Hopefully others will hop in with their bargin bin babies.  I'll have to check my collection for some lesser-known titles and hopefully have something to add.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 03:54:52 AM »

Thanks Ram!

I'll try and see if I can add any value with a few titles of my own...

Voodoo Vince maybe?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 04:34:28 AM »

Psi Ops!

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914552.asp?q=psi%20ops
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 05:17:45 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Voodoo Vince maybe?

This is an excellent choice, although I know many didn't like it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 05:29:35 AM »

Voodoo Vince is alot like Wrath Unleashed in the sense that it showed alot of promise, but fell short of being a great game.  I've seen VV for $5-10 new. That is an absolute steal for such a solid game.  (if platforming is your thing)

Its definitely one of those titles where you want to see a second game, just so you can watch the developers refine their skills and learn from their mistakes.

Psi Ops!

Enjoyed this game, too. I had only a couple complaints with it:

1) Those forced training levels with each new skill.
2) Those damned invisible mines
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 05:31:29 AM »

Just what I needed, a list of more games to buy... Die Seinfeld 7 looks like my kinda thing smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 05:47:14 AM »

I'm really hoping people will support Dai Senryaku. The Xbox (all consoles, actually) could use more hardcore strategy games like this. It is a very complex but addictive game, similar to what you would expect on a PC.  Gamespot gets the nuances absolutely correct:

There are nearly two dozen different types of terrain, many of which can provide units with various degrees of cover against attacks. For example, an infantry squad holed up in a dense forest can be very difficult for most foes to flush out. Most every type of unit packs multiple weapons, too. You wouldn't expect that infantry squad to be effective against some attack helicopters, but infantry can pack surface-to-air missiles, in addition to rifles. However, each weapon has limited ammunition, so the infantry had better make its SAM shot count. You'll need to keep an eye on your units' fuel reserves, too.

A support truck can resupply fuel and ammunition out in the field, or units can retreat to a friendly occupied city to replenish their fuel and ammo, as well as their numbers. A unit's facing is also an important factor. Most tanks' armor tends to be much weaker on the sides and in the back, so a well-orchestrated flanking maneuver can be used to inflict heavy damage while sustaining minimal casualties. About the only thing you won't need to worry about is the weather, which is constant and has no impact on battle.

Action occurs at all altitudes. While jets dogfight high in the sky, submarines hunt one another under the sea. Helicopters can hover just above ground level, while aircraft carriers support ground forces from the coast.

I really have only three complaints with the game:

1) No changing weather patterns

2) With so many types of units, they can be difficult to distinguish.
(Thankfully, hovering your cursor over the unit gives the necessary info)

3) I'd love to see a more cohesive, personable storyline added to the game.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 06:21:08 AM »

Agreed completely on Death Row and on Oddworld. Deathrow came out of nowhere, and left just as quickly. I have spent hours playing that game with my friends. Its a great game to play when you get a group together. Not as much for me when playing alone.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 06:24:05 AM »

And wow, just looked up the info on Dai Senryaku VII, I need to try that out, stat! That game looks pretty sweet. I havnt seen it anywhere or even heard about it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 07:22:11 AM »

Can anyone tell me how long, on average, the missions are in Dai Senryaku VII?  I do like strategy games (especially good ones for $20), but I find I don't have the time I used to (or, honestly, the patience, which may put this one out of the running for me).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 09:31:55 AM »

You can save at ANY TIME during your mission.  Comes in very handy biggrin

The first mission took me about an hour...but I'm an idiot and overlooked something.  So perhaps less than that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 12:57:57 PM »

Sega Soccer Slam and Kung Fu Chaos are two of the neatest mulitplayer games I've run across in a while.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 01:08:40 PM »

Great thread.  

I am interested in hearing about the map creator part of this Dai game.
Is it like a scenario editor where I can set up my own battles?  From reading one review, it sounds like you can... but I'm not sure.

How is the A.I?  Are there difficulty levels for morons like me in all modes of the game, or just the campaign?

What about camera control?  If I want to zoom out to get a good view of the "world map", can I do that?

I read one review which sounds pretty good.  But I would like to hear more from someone who's played it.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 04:25:05 PM »

Invisible mines, rampanther? Did you forget about your night vision goggles?
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 08:55:51 PM »

Is it like a scenario editor where I can set up my own battles? From reading one review, it sounds like you can... but I'm not sure.

How is the A.I? Are there difficulty levels for morons like me in all modes of the game, or just the campaign?

The map editor is extremely easy to use, and allows you to create your own battles.

It allows you to adjust:

Terrain
Units
Players
Countries
Funds
Fuel
Allies
Max # of Turns
Difficulty
Map Name

When playing the Free portion of the game, you can adjust the difficulty level by changing the options listed above. For example, if you pick the map "Normandy Beach", it asks if you wish to adjust the settings before play.

What about camera control? If I want to zoom out to get a good view of the "world map", can I do that?

The left and right trigger zoom the game. You can zoom out to where the hexes are absurdly small (full map view), or zoom in to the point where one unit takes up a third of the screen. You can shift the viewing perspective with the right analog stick. Scrolling across the map is done with either the D pad or the left analog stick. I personally use the D pad because the analog stick is overly sensitive for my tastes.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 08:58:49 PM »

I really like the camera system (to answer your question, Lockdown) as you use the right analog stick and the two triggers to zoom in and out.  It's slick as snot.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 09:06:19 PM »

I used that Psi ability that allows you to see the mines, but for some reason I found them amazingly hard to bypass in certain areas. In one particular area I died about 10 times in a row despite creeping at a snail's pace.

Still a good game, however. I love using my powers to slam enemies into their friends and then quickly toss them over the side of the building
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 01:49:19 AM »

I bought Wrath today.

Still looking for DS VII...

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 03:45:36 AM »

Quote from: "RamPanther"

I used that Psi ability that allows you to see the mines, but for some reason I found them amazingly hard to bypass in certain areas. In one particular area I died about 10 times in a row despite creeping at a snail's pace.

Still a good game, however. I love using my powers to slam enemies into their friends and then quickly toss them over the side of the building

All I know is that I died more time on those mine levels than I ever have in any game ever.  It was one of the most frustrating sequences in a game I've ever played through in my entire life.  Still gave the game a solid B and would definitely go for a sequel.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 04:13:03 AM »

Voodoo Vince was a pretty quality game.  And I pretty much enjoyed it.  But there was a part that somewhat resembled the original Max Payne dream sequence's "walk on this little tight rope" part.  Except the little lines you're supposed to walk on shined in the beginning and then dissappeared, making you have to remember which was to go.  Needless to say, it was frustrating as hell.

But beside that, I really liked my time with VV.  I would recommend it for 10$ definately.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 04:23:21 AM »

Voodoo Vince was one of the most underrated platformers on the Xbox, you're right, depwad.  You might also check out Scaler for $20.  Doesn't have the charm of Vince, but its platforming is excellent.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2005, 04:45:51 PM »

You should be able to find Wrath Unleashed at Best Buys for $10.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 05:06:28 PM »

Thanks for the answers guys.

I will find this game ASAP.  I may not play it in depth for awhile, as all the Baseballs are now coming out, but it sounds too good to pass up.

Two final questions...  

1.  Will I be happy with the stats on each unit?  IoW... say I hover my cursor over an Apache (for example), can I click a button that brings up a stat screen for armor ratings, speed, ammo, rank, etc.. etc...?  And does it give you enough information where you feel like, "Yeah, I understand the strengths and weaknesses of this unit just fine." ?

2.  Is it strictly One vs. One?   Or can I set up a map with US, China, USSR, and Israel all battling each other for world domination, ala Risk?

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2005, 07:58:06 PM »

1. Will I be happy with the stats on each unit? IoW... say I hover my cursor over an Apache (for example), can I click a button that brings up a stat screen for armor ratings, speed, ammo, rank, etc.. etc...? And does it give you enough information where you feel like, "Yeah, I understand the strengths and weaknesses of this unit just fine." ?

2. Is it strictly One vs. One? Or can I set up a map with US, China, USSR, and Israel all battling each other for world domination, ala Risk?

1 The unit information is very detailed, and can indeed be accessed with the press of a button. They are:

-Price of unit
-# of units remaining in squad
-class
-stealth rating
-standard movement abilities
-rushed unit abilities
-Load Type
-current detection range
-Current firepower rating against fighters, helicopters, vehicles, infantry, ships, submarines
-movement costs based on terrain type
-ammunition levels
-units current level (E to S)

When entering combat it also addes the following stats:
-possible hit rating by percentage
-terrain rating
-unit composure

2. You can set up allies. It does not need to be one on one.

I hope this helps. Incidentally, the first production run was only 20,000 units, so I wouldn't wait too long to snag a copy. It won't be a collector's item, but it may become difficult to find.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2005, 08:35:24 PM »

I've only liked two "button-mashing repeat the level until you get Perfect rating" games in my life.  one was LOTR Two Towers, which many people liked.  the first Crimson Sea (XB), however, seems to have been bought by me and ten other people.  as painful as button-mashers are for me, the game has to be something that really grabs me or i won't go very far with it.  Crimson Sea did  that - at least until it got too hard to play further (i think i got 3/4 or more through it before i crashed and burned on a boss i couldn't get by).  

it's pretty much everything i don't like in games, but it was recommended by someone i trusted, so i tried it.  it looks Japanese-anime-ish, with the pretty-boy lead character and a sidekick who you have to research the Web to find out if it's a girl or a boy. there are other characters later, who you arrange in a pattern around you, based on their abilities.  it has insane action - but one unique feature, in that if you die often enough in the same level - 3 or 4 times maybe, you can enter an easier mode.  the bosses are unbelievable, too - if you like boss battles you should give this a shot.

it's a sci-fi title, with some nice weapon selections, some RPG elements, tons of strange insects and creatures, a little puzzle stuff, some jumping around, some mazes, etc.  -  really,  a little of everything.  add the challenge of figuring out how to complete each level to get a good rating, therefore more money and weapons, and i'd say it's one of the toughest games i've ever played (and not given up on in an hour, lol).

be careful if you decide to try it - i've seen it at GameStop, and similar places, for twenty dollars plus, but you can get it on eBay or Amazon for about ten or fifteen bucks.  another note: there is Crimson Sea for the Xbox - and Crimson Sea 2 for the PS2 - go figure.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2005, 12:07:57 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
another note: there is Crimson Sea for the Xbox - and Crimson Sea 2 for the PS2 - go figure.

I believe that Crimson Sea 2 has all the cutscenes from the first game unlocked at the beginning so new players can catch up with the story.  I want to get CS2 but haven't yet found it under $30.  I am not too happy with seeing the first on the Xbox and the sequel on the PS2.

For another overlooked platformer, check out Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy.

I might be in the minority here, but I also enjoyed the cosmic battle between feline and porcine kind portrayed in Blinx the Time Sweeper and Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space.

I'm slowly adding to my bargain collection, as I picked up Kung Fu Chaos today.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2005, 11:41:19 AM »

I hope this helps. Incidentally, the first production run was only 20,000 units, so I wouldn't wait too long to snag a copy. It won't be a collector's item, but it may become difficult to find.

So last night I go to my local GameStop to pick up a copy of Homeworld 2 for my nephew as a gift, and while I'm there, I ask my buddy about this Japanese War Game, and if they have it in stock.  He says, "Oh, that game.  Well, believe it or not, I special ordered it for another person awhile back, and he never came in to pick it up, so here you go, our one and only copy."

HE SHOOTS ... HE SCORES!!!!

Every once in a great while, I actually catch a break.  Thanks for all the help in making my decision.

LD   biggrin

LD

RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2005, 09:25:12 PM »

I hope you like it lockdown! I really think DS7 a fantastic game. Definitely worth $20. (I would have even paid $50)
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2005, 09:41:15 PM »

I just got second sight and psi ops both for $30.00 new. Both are really worth it so far. Not perfect games, but LOTS of fun each.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2005, 12:12:16 AM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
I just got second sight and psi ops both for $30.00 new. Both are really worth it so far. Not perfect games, but LOTS of fun each.

It's interesting to see the different approaches to a common mechanic (psionics).  That's a nice deal for two fun games.

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2005, 03:27:22 PM »

I've gone back to Full Spectrum Warrior now that the two Epilogues are free to download.  Since it's been so long, I'll probably go through again on a higher setting.  

I just wish there were more options for multiplayer than co-op -- I could never find a person to take on a mission with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: