http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 07:13:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good games for PSP? (more info within)  (Read 650 times)
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2006, 04:36:11 PM »

I am an unashamed GTA addict (my wife is the one embarassed about it :wink:). I have the PC versions of the games, but I have recently been considering getting a PSP for Liberty City Stories as well as other gaming.

Now here's the thing; I also have a PS2 (I bought it for the original GTASA, actually). Since "Liberty" is coming out for the PS2 next month I would almost think I have no reason to get a PSP now, unless there are some other games that are PSP "killer apps".

My interest varies in gaming, it tends to be rather catholic (little "c", "Of broad or liberal scope; comprehensive"). I *don't* really care for fantasy/anime/cutsie stuff. I like racing and rallying, but am not really fond of games that make you repeat courses over and over just to make a level-up. I like strategy, both grand and tactical. I prefer turn-based, but I doubt there are any wargames for the PSP smile. I do like first person shooters as long as they are not click fests. Oh, and I am in my fifties and have the reaction time of a dead otter so nothing that requires lightning reflexes  :roll:

Any "killer" games for the PSP that I just *need* to get, if I am to make my hardware purchase worthwhile? Or should I just wait and spend $20 for GTALCS on PS2?

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 04:46:51 PM »

Do you have any use for a portable game system?  If you can play away from home a lot, or like one other reader here and want to play in bed, then the PSP may be a good option.

Personally, I don't think there are any PSP games that are worth the price of admission unless you have lots of opportunities to play games when you can't use your PS2.  

So, if most of your gaming time can be spent with the PS2, XBox, etc., don't bother wasting the money on the PSP.  All of the PS2 versions of the PSP games are better, and the couple exclusive PSP games don't justify the purchase yet (unless you really need the Daxter platformer).

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 05:57:51 PM »

Actually, Metal Gear Acid 1&2 are really nifty TBS games for PSP. There's also Field Commander, which is coming out soon and looks good. LotR Tactics is decent, but not as engaging as I had hoped.

FYI, there are several really good TBS games on DS (Advance Wars, Age of Empires, Battles of Prince of Persia). While many reviews panned BoPP, it may turn out to be my favorite of that group.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 06:10:47 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
LotR Tactics is decent, but not as engaging as I had hoped.

Oh, oh, got anything more to say about that game?  Worthy of a purchase eventually?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 08:31:08 PM »

I haven't played that much of it (hence my comment). It is a small squad tactics game with some RPG elements (your characters earn xp and can spend them on various powers and items). It has basic elements such as facing, zone of control, and terrain bonuses.

If you like TBS and LotR then my guess is you'd enjoy this one. There's some novelty to commanding familiar characters. The game looks pretty good, though identifying characters at a distance can be tricky. The cut scenes introducing each battle are very well done (i.e. movie clips) just as one would expect (the music too).

I only played a few of the battles and there was some decent variety, from kill all to escape, etc.

The biggest knock I can give is that while I enjoyed fiddling with it, it just didn't compel me to continue playing it. Bear in mind this is not unusual for me and I have quite a few games that I have barely scratched the surface of. I tend to play my games in a streaky fashion where I focus largely on one or two at a time.

I don't think this one sold that well. It should be available used for about 25 bucks, which isn't a bad buy-in price if you like TBS.

I'll post my initial remarks from an OO thread below:

Posts are separated by --
If you look at the very last post that was probably why I put it down in the first place and just didn't feel compelled to go back.

Ok, went through the tutorial (same as the first mission) and the first two Fellowship missions on easy difficulty. You can also play the entire campaign as the host of Mordor and destroy the Fellowship.

The presentation is very nice. Characters and backgrounds look good. Music is pretty, nice ambient sound effects. There are cutscenes from the movies between missions that introduce the mission for you. They are a bit chopped together (they cut from scene to scene), for instance one moment showing Elron talking to the counil and saying someone has to bear the ring to Mt Doom and the next showing the Fellowship in a Blizzard electing to take the pass through the Mines, but they look great otherwise (letterboxed presentation) and so far do a good job of introducing each encounter.

The interface and issuing commands is simple but reasonably effective. The camera (controlled with analog stick) isn't perfect (not entirely free roaming) but not bad, especially for this sort of game. Movement is conducted with they d-pad. Shoulder buttons do various things based on context, but generally used for selecting characters and targets. Face buttons are used to bring up stats, select skills and such, plus the obligatory confirm orders. My only real interface gripe (and it is trivial) so far is that the X button exits from the hero upgrade screen to the main map and I keep hitting it when trying to buy skills.

Missions are rewarded based on rounds to complete them as well as survival of your characters. Characters receive experience based on their performance and it should be noted that even characters not in a given scenario earn a little bit. They gain levels with enough xp, unlocking new skill choices (I just got Frodo a stealth ability and Gimli an attack with a high chance to stun). These skills use up a mana-type pool (blue bar and all).

First mission is deal X damage to the witch king (X varies with difficulty level). I actually did quite poorly the first time through on this mission (even on easy) by allowing Aragorn to get taken down, which let the wringwraiths get in Sam and Frodo's faces. Because of zone of control, they couldn't then use their ranged attacks (they throw rocks) at the Witch King. I did much better the second time.

Second mission is in the Mines of Moria where you must get off the bridge past a cave troll while Gandalf holds off the Ballhog...I mean Balrog. The Balrog was quite impressive looking in my opinion. Completing that one openened up an optional mission which is a defeat all, so the objectives are quite varied so far.

The stunning skill I just obtained probably would have been a big help in that mission because you could have stunned the troll and run past (you can't just move past him because of zone of control). The skill effects are relatively understated so far, but to me that is in keeping with the style of the stories. This isn't Final Fantasy and shouldn't look like it.

I forgot to mention there are separate movement and combat phases. All orders are issued for a phase then it all plays out at once. Combat resolution is fast, almost too fast as it is a bit hard to keep up with the camera jumping from character to character at first.

Overall impression thus far is very positive. The presentation is slick. I can't really evaluate it critically as a strategy game because in all honesty I don't play them a tremendous amount. My instinct is that this is a light, easily approachable game that does have some depth to it (there are terrain effects, zones of control, etc), but that hardcore strategy types will probably consider it fluffy. There are an array of stats Strength, Agility, etc. for each character and you can upgrade these with skills, lending it a distinct RPG feel (which is certainly appropriate). It remains to be seen whether you end up having enough cash to buy everything or whether the choices you make will really have meaning on how your heroes/bad guys play down the road.

--

The battlefields have some variety, with raised areas that give accuracy bonuses to ranged, for instance. The manual indicates there is stuff like mud that has other effects (e.g. decreased speed) but I haven't seen that initially. I know that one of the missions I have yet to do has columns you can hide behind (this is mentioned in the tips given before starting the mission).

One other thing I forgot to mention is that although the back of the box says "Build a massive army" the missions at the start present more of a squad-based game on very small maps, which fits with the opening of first movie. I'm interested to see how the later stuff will play out (e.g. Helmsdeep). The focus seems to be on the major characters so it wouldn't surprise me if the game handled the AI for the bit players in the larger scale events, but we'll see.

--

So I didn't realize this before, but the optional defeat all mission I opened up is the first I've seen where I have a) grunt troops in the form of a gondor soldier and 3 gondor rangers and b) get to choose which heroes I want to use (you pick two...I went with Gimli and Aragorn).

There are 2 cave trolls (on opposite sides of the map naturally) and 5-6 goblins which come in from the sides. I focused on the trolls initially, which left me getting picked apart from the gobbos. I actually did ok, losing only the soldier (nasty crit from one of the trolls) until Gimli fell on the very last round (I knew I should have used that leaf of dried stuffamabob I'm carrying).

The mission that follows this has a victory condition wherein Frodo must survive. That should be interesting. I'm very reluctant to spend my winnings on healing items rather than permanent skills.

Some minor niggles:
It seems that with some skills you can use, the game won't automatically target the right spot. For instance, I use Dunedin Wrath, which adds damage to Gimli's melee attack and the targeting cursor gets put one spot behind where it should be and the map displays the red I can't attack here image. Not a big deal, you just have to bump the cursor over, but it is annoying.

It can be a bit hard to tell what things on the screen are when they get a moderate distance from you. I would bounce between characters to make sure I was moving toward the right thing when in the movement phase.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but thought I should mention I've seen at least one instance where an object that appears to block LOS can be shot through. There are definitely objects that can't be (I used a column in this mission to protect a ranger with a sliver of health). This was a stone block that I guess was intended to be decorative. It should have been made smaller or solid, IMO.

One cool thing I noticed is that the stance animations change when your characters get wounded. They kind of slouch or slump depending on the character, which is neat.
--
A word of warning:

Either I'm totally whacked or, in one of the most baffling design decisions I've ever seen, you can't access the pause menu from outside a battle (i.e. at the shop screens). Moreover, there is no autosave. Without thinking about it, you could easily exit from the game and lose all your progress.

If I'm missing something, someone let me know.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 08:48:46 PM »

Hmmm, interesting.  After I finish up Ac!d2, I'm going to need a game like this...then again, isn't Field Commander coming out soon?  Maybe it'll price drop in a few months biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 08:52:59 PM »

It's funny, I'm REALLY enjoying Battles of Prince of Persia for DS so far, a game that was widely panned. The interface is really annoying, but while the interface is intrusive/non-intuitive, I like the actual gameplay in the early going (three scenarios down).

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 12:44:54 AM »

Based on your criteria, you might want to check out Syphon Filter:Dark Mirror.  Not only is it one of the best games available right now on the PSP, but it can be played more as a thinking man's FPS if you don't want to go in guns blazing (although it gives you that option as well).

I'm not sure if you like platformers or not, but Daxter is also worth a look if you are...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 02:01:58 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Based on your criteria, you might want to check out Syphon Filter:Dark Mirror.  Not only is it one of the best games available right now on the PSP, but it can be played more as a thinking man's FPS if you don't want to go in guns blazing (although it gives you that option as well).

I'm not sure if you like platformers or not, but Daxter is also worth a look if you are...

I second Syphon Filter. It's the game that made me by a PSP. I think it's the best game on the system, and one of the best games on the market.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: