http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 06:41:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Commentary on the sensor bar and remote(Wii)  (Read 955 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2006, 02:10:42 AM »

I think this is what all of us have wanted to read:
http://wii.ign.com/mail/

and in case your too lazy to click a link!
I'd love nothing more than to tell you that everything is working one-hundred percent perfectly - it's certainly close - but I've put a lot of hours on the Wii hardware now and there are the occasional glitches with the Wii-mote, nunchuk and sensor bar. For the most part, everything is functioning fine - well enough, in fact, for me to recommend that you pick up the console for your son. I think the both of you will ultimately love it. However, you have to be very aware of where your hand is and where the Wii-mote is being pointed, just as you have to be smart with your gestures on the nunchuk. When you play a game like Super Mario Galaxy, everything just works - totally and completely. You point at the screen and your star does what you want. You move Mario around effortlessly with the nunchuk's analog stick.

That said, in games where the Wii-mote replaces a reticule, as it does in Red Steel or Call of Duty 3, for example, I've encountered rare, but still notable issues where the reticule will just drop off the screen and you have to take a second to reorient the positioning of your hand to get it back. When that happens, you temporarily lose full control of your movement. This is not a problem with a dual-analog setup and therefore it's a brand new consideration that is exclusive to Nintendo's new machine. I think it is also something that may be ironed out over time. Bear in mind that many of the games I've been playing are unfinished and running on Wii development hardware. Plus, these are first generation Wii efforts and the kinks are likely to be smoothened completely by the second wave.

You also have to remember that many Wii games don't even use the pointer functionality or sensor bar. In a title like Excite Truck, you turn simply by using the accelerometers in the Wii-mote. When you rotate the controller, the accelerometer measures the change and translates the data to the console - nothing more, and it's very accurate. There's not much of a learning curve for these types of games so you and your son will definitely be able to pick up and play without any issues.

Thing is, even with the aforementioned rare glitches surrounding the Wii-mote and sensor bar, the combo is still ninety-five percent accurate and very highly recommended. The added precision made possible with the remote is already pretty spectacular for titles like Metroid Prime 3, Galaxy, Trauma Center and Rayman, just to name a few. And the craziest part is - again - these are first generation Wii games. Look back at the launch lineup for DS and compare those games to the stuff that's hitting now. The difference is night and day.

Well I am glad to know it's not horrible or broken, and that not all games use it. I wish that these first generation titles would've been better developed, and who knows maybe the shipped product will be perfect. I am however a lot more comfortable knowing that Matt is being honest, there are issues, but they're not as bad as one or two bloggers might make them out to be. Hopefully any kinks will be ironed out with games that use the pointer functions. I personally am still perplexed that the FPS games are not using a fixed reticule and instead having that movement box on the screen. Hopefully Nintendo will get that magic that's working in Mario Galaxy out to all the other developers. I think even 5% mis-accuracy is way too much, maybe I could live with .001%, maybe

here's another interesting Wii article that I pretty agree with wholly:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/739/739662p1.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 06:02:18 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 02:46:30 AM »

IN!

Oh, wait, I already was and this article didn't affect my choice.  icon_biggrin

Still a good writeup though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 05:01:40 PM »

anyone else notice how we get a generally positive feedback, not discounting concerns, and it gets no notice in the forums?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 05:28:49 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 19, 2006, 05:01:40 PM

anyone else notice how we get a generally positive feedback, not discounting concerns, and it gets no notice in the forums?
It takes time to adapt to these new situations.

Um...

Sony is still making money?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 05:45:57 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 19, 2006, 05:28:49 PM

Sony is still making money?

Ha!  You obviously spelled Nintendo wrong, because we sure as shit know Sony isn't making money.  And yes I know you were joking (at least I hope so).  icon_lol

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 05:53:31 PM »

What, pray tell, is 'commentation' ?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 05:56:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 19, 2006, 05:53:31 PM

You know, I was about to mock him too ("Hopefully with more good commentation the public will have better responsifications!") but it turns out it's a real word!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 06:02:08 PM »

Hey! we're all allowed a G.W.Bush moment here and there, right... **crickets chirping** ...sigh

and while it's a real word, it doesn't fit very well, Commentary was a better fit.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 10:24:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 19, 2006, 05:56:23 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 19, 2006, 05:53:31 PM

You know, I was about to mock him too ("Hopefully with more good commentation the public will have better responsifications!") but it turns out it's a real word!

I should have waited as your mockatur was better than my mockification.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 01:33:08 AM »

When it comes from a source more ojbective then wii.ign.com for heavens sakes, then it will get more attention biggrin
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 01:44:09 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 20, 2006, 01:33:08 AM

When it comes from a source more ojbective then wii.ign.com for heavens sakes, then it will get more attention biggrin
Obviously you don't read the website, if you you did you'd probably not say that. It's been pretty objective, hell read the second article I posted and tell me that they're not objective. A lot more so than some gamer's blog... Hell, I'm not gonna argue with you or try to change your mind about this, because neither of us would be happy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: