http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:54:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Co-op XBox game?  (Read 2146 times)
Riker's Beard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2005, 04:39:41 PM »

My wife and I like to play actiony-roleplaying games together on the Xbox.  We've finished Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II and XMen: Legends, and have been uniformly frustrated by Hunter: The Reckoning (bad camera control when in Co-op).  We're looking for a new game to play together in co-op.  Requirements would be:  It should be heavy on the action, with a decent story, and co-op is in single screen (i.e. I HATE HATE HATE playing co-op in split screen mode a la Halo 2).

I had thought about LOTR: Third Age, but co-op mode sounds a little weak in that.  Any suggestions?
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 06:39:53 PM »

D&D Heroes is apparently similar to Baldur's Gate.

A game I'd like to try out in co-op mode is the horror game Obscure
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 06:43:32 PM »

Lego Star Wars

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Cyrano
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 08:01:31 AM »

Have you played the first Balder's Gate? That's good. A warning: stay away from Fallout. It's terrible.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 07:55:22 PM »

Dark Alliance I would still be worth a play-through as the magic user in DAI is WAY more fun than the necromancer in DAII.  However, inventory management for two is a bit more burdensome (you also have two seperate stashes of gold, rather than a community pool, which can be fun as you fight for gold and you can gain bonuses with the wife if you buy her expensive weapons).

Lego Star Wars is REALLY easy, but it's still fun and the variety of characters is cool.

Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu is a fun co-op beat-em up that my wife and I enjoyed (warning: it can be a little tough in places though; cheats may be in order). Excellent, responsive controls though.

Another co-op that my wife and I recently finished was Gladius. It's a turn-based strategy game set in various gladitorial arenas.  There is a swing meter though, and my wife sucked at that so you can turn the swing meter off.  Keep in mind that if you do turn the swing meter off, you must may careful attention to the "accuracy" rating of the weapons you use. If you leave swing meters on though, toss "accuracy" ratings out the window.

We also play Burnout 3 tohether, as you can race against each other, race together in a rally race, or have up to 4 players in the crash mode (which is the best part of the game really).

We just got X-Men legends and have recently started playing that too. I'm trying to coax her into playing Halo with me, but so far no-go, as she's horrible with aiming the guns.

If you have a light-gun, pick up House of the Dead III (co-op) and the Starsky and Hutch game ($5). One person drives the car, while the other person has to shoot the baddies. It's a lot of fun!

edit: by the way, I though D&D Heroes sucked and the play control was a FAR CRY from the tight controls of Dark Alliance.  In multiplayer mode, the camera zooms so far out it looks like the colored circles indicating your characters are attacking the monsters, rather than the characters themselves.

Keep an eye out for the forthcoming Gauntlet: 7 Sorrows. It will support up to 4 player co-op and I had a blast with it at E3.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 07:56:38 PM »

Hit the front page, On the 28th you'll get some superhero Co-Op action.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 10:26:38 PM »

Anyone remember if Brute Force is split-screen or not?  I played single player and wished I'd had help.  I was so bad at keeping my people alive that i had to leave them behind, go do everything, then call them up.  Still had fun though!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 10:29:26 PM »

I believe it is. Consol gold's main site has a good search function where you select your criteria, such as "co-op," or 720p or whatever you're looking for.  Not sure if split-screen is an option though.

Oh, on the subject of go co-ops though, Kung Fu Chaos is a hilarious MP game, up to 4 players.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 11:04:50 PM »

Brute Force offers split-screen deathmatch and co-op.
Riker's Beard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 05:01:44 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Hit the front page, On the 28th you'll get some superhero Co-Op action.

I don't know Ron, movie tie-in?  I'm going to assume stinker until I see a couple of reviews smile

BTW, you still playing Tribes: Vengeance?
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 07:13:25 PM »

One of my favorite coop games on XBox has always been Deathrow.  It's one of the best games on XBox that no one's heard of.

Think Ultimate frisby meets Rollerball in the Thunderdome, but with coop. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 10:20:55 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
One of my favorite coop games on XBox has always been Deathrow.  It's one of the best games on XBox that no one's heard of.

s

I loved Deathrow!  I never go to play co-op, I think they should make a sequel to that game that is live enabled.  I think I might just repurchase that game since I traded it in long ago.  Everyone that has an Xbox and likes sports games should at least give it a try!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 03:01:29 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Quote from: "Sepiche"

s

I loved Deathrow!  I never go to play co-op, I think they should make a sequel to that game that is live enabled.  I think I might just repurchase that game since I traded it in long ago.  Everyone that has an Xbox and likes sports games should at least give it a try!

Well crap I would play it with you!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 09:22:28 PM »

I second Kung Fu Chaos, however the multiplayer is more of a "party game" than co-op.

Dynasty Warriors 4 is a damned fine beat-em up co-op game.
Also, Brute force is a co-op game up to 4 players. IIRC, others can join and leave on the fly.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: