http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 06:55:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good action RPGs for the PS3?  (Read 769 times)
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2010, 01:28:12 AM »

I'm looking for action RPGs for my shiny new PS3. Are there any good ones? (Don't say Demon's Souls, because I don't enjoy being punished by a game.)
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 02:11:46 AM »

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2
3D Dot Game Heroes
Death Spank
Sacred 2

All are average to slightly above average. I enjoyed MUA1 in particular.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 02:20:42 AM »

I thought Sacred 2 was damn good.  Fairly deep and will take you forever to finish.  It's got it's quarks but I really liked it.

morlac00 on PSN
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 03:54:26 AM »

NO one recommends White Knight Chronicles?  I thought it was an action RPG - but I haven't played it yet, so I'm not sure if that's true, and I can't really vouch for it.  Anyone who has played it, please help me decide whether I should cross it off of my to-be-purchased backlog list!  icon_neutral

Closer to topic:  I played Sacred 2 (but on the 360) and I loved it.  I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys dungeon-crawler experiences, lots of loot, leveling up, fancy swords, etc.  It wasn't perfect, but 99% of games aren't anyway, and it must be selling cheap now, so...

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:10:55 AM »

Gothic 4 - As long as you dont mind the gothic name, the game is a fun enough Action Rpg...

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »

Nier is second only to Mass Effect 2 as my favorite game this year.  Sheer brilliance.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:41:02 PM »

Folklore, if you can find it...

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 05:00:42 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on October 28, 2010, 03:54:26 AM

NO one recommends White Knight Chronicles?  I thought it was an action RPG - but I haven't played it yet, so I'm not sure if that's true, and I can't really vouch for it.  Anyone who has played it, please help me decide whether I should cross it off of my to-be-purchased backlog list!  icon_neutral

I was hugely excited for White Knight Chronicles right up until multiple reviewers started reporting the game was braindead-easy.  The consensus seems to be that it has some combat systems that seem as though they'd be pretty cool, except you're discouraged from exploring them because its always faster and more effective to just mash on the Attack button until everything is dead.

There were a few rumors about a patch that would introduce new difficulty options, but since nothing has ever materialized, I've kind of lost interest in the game. icon_cry

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:16:08 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 28, 2010, 05:00:42 PM

Quote from: mytocles on October 28, 2010, 03:54:26 AM

I was hugely excited for White Knight Chronicles right up until multiple reviewers started reporting the game was braindead-easy.  The consensus seems to be that it has some combat systems that seem as though they'd be pretty cool, except you're discouraged from exploring them because its always faster and more effective to just mash on the Attack button until everything is dead.

There were a few rumors about a patch that would introduce new difficulty options, but since nothing has ever materialized, I've kind of lost interest in the game. icon_cry

-Autistic Angel

Also, WKC2 is going to include a supposedly improved version of the first game.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »

Despite what you stated above  icon_wink You really ought to give it a shot. It is rewarding and the walkthroughs help a ton!

There can be only one:

DEMONS SOULS

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 05:22:31 PM »

I don't consider WKC an action RPG.  It's a fairly traditional JRPG with a combat system close to FF12.  It's nowhere near the quality of FF12 though.

I haven't played Darksiders yet but wouldn't that qualify?

Oh yeah Borderlands is pretty awesome.  Surprised no one mentioned it yet.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »

Quote from: Roman on October 28, 2010, 05:18:10 PM

Despite what you stated above  icon_wink You really ought to give it a shot. It is rewarding and the walkthroughs help a ton!

There can be only one:

DEMONS SOULS
Amen!!!!
My favorite ps3 exclusive . . .
And for a greatest hit price? Cmon!!!

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »

Quote from: skystride on October 28, 2010, 05:22:31 PM

I haven't played Darksiders yet but wouldn't that qualify?

Darksiders is one of my favorite games from this year, but it's not really a RPG.  It's an action-adventure like Zelda.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 07:32:23 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on October 28, 2010, 05:45:23 PM

There can be only one:

DEMONS SOULS
Amen!!!!

I'm a wimp with games.  I play near everything on Easy or close to it.  For me, it's more about the experience than the challenge.

I loved Demon's Souls.  It is challenging, but appropriately so, and it's part of the experience.

Now my biggest problem with the game is that I got lured away from it, and I've been intimidated to go back.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 28, 2010, 07:32:23 PM

Quote from: ras752000 on October 28, 2010, 05:45:23 PM

There can be only one:

DEMONS SOULS
Amen!!!!

I'm a wimp with games.  I play near everything on Easy or close to it.  For me, it's more about the experience than the challenge.

I loved Demon's Souls.  It is challenging, but appropriately so, and it's part of the experience.

Now my biggest problem with the game is that I got lured away from it, and I've been intimidated to go back.

agreed. My challenge in getting back to it is the time it will take me to actually play. I don't have 3-4hrs for dungeon grinding. But I do seem to have it for COD with the guys? Weird.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 06:22:43 AM »

The main problem with White Knight Chronicles is that single-player combat is slow and boring.  The combat was designed for multiplayer, and they didn't really do anything to make it fit into the single-player game.  It plays like an MMO, where you have a group of skills that operate on countdown timers.  That's fine if you have a large number of interesting skills, but not when your skills mostly consist of minor variations on the basic attack.  Also, the speed at which your skills recharge is heavily dependent on how much armor you're wearing.  If you put on a few pieces of armor, you'll be waiting several seconds between attacks.  You can get around this somewhat by playing a mage with little armor and using combo attacks, but the combat never really becomes fun.  Assuming the US release is the same as the Japanese release, the sequel will contain the first game as well, with the sequel's improvements, such as faster combat, available in the original game.  I'd suggest just waiting for WKC2.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 09:46:18 AM »

I second Folklore. Albeit, the story and presentation is typical JRPG fare.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 04:21:03 PM »

Thanks for the input folks, it looks like the best bet will be to wait for WKC2.  That should be quite easy given the impossible amount of must-play, time-sink games ahead.   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: