http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:48:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goldeneye Wii  (Read 1551 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »

The Goldeneye remake on the Wii comes out tomorrow, check out the launch trailer and post your impressions of Daniel Craig's 3D face!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:48:21 PM »

is the single player and multiplayer done by two separate devs?,its just that the single player looks okay,but the multiplayer looks terrible

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:11:12 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 01, 2010, 11:48:21 PM

is the single player and multiplayer done by two separate devs?,its just that the single player looks okay,but the multiplayer looks terrible

Isn't mplay only 4 player local split-screen like the original? My understanding was that the mplay was going to be kept similar to the N64 game. If that's the case, that style probably hasn't aged well and will likely only appeal to nostalgic fans.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:13:25 AM by kronovan » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 02, 2010, 04:11:12 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 01, 2010, 11:48:21 PM

Isn't mplay only 4 player local split-screen like the original? My understanding was that the mplay was going to be kept similar to the N64 game. If that's the case, that style probably hasn't aged well and will likely only appeal to nostalgic fans.

i looked yesterday its 4 Player local split screen and 8 player online

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:14:25 PM »

There are no reviews on gamerankings yet for this or Blood Stone, which doesn't seem encouraging.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 03:20:59 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 02, 2010, 01:14:25 PM

There are no reviews on gamerankings yet for this or Blood Stone, which doesn't seem encouraging.

Yeah, I was hoping to hear something today.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:34:22 PM »

IGN gave it a 9.0, though I don't think any other reviews are out yet.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 05:07:13 PM »

Picking it up today.  Any  word on Blood Stone?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 07:39:44 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 02, 2010, 05:07:13 PM

Picking it up today.  Any  word on Blood Stone?

doesn't seem to be getting as good reviews as that Goldeneye 9 score

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=273364

The first James Bond Blood Stone review scores have landed - with IGN awarding 5/10 and GameInformer offering up a more positive 7.5/10.

EDIT:gameinformer just gave Goldeneye 6.5
http://gameinformer.com/games/goldeneye_007/b/wii/archive/2010/11/02/goldeneye-007-review.aspx
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:42:56 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 08:21:39 PM »

IGN gave it a 5/10.  OUT!

Closing Comments
Blood Stone is not a bad game: it's just a painfully average one. There aren't any majorly broken elements to it, but just because this Stone is relatively polished, doesn't make it a gem. There really isn't anything at all remarkable about it, and even though it's extremely short it still manages to wear out its welcome thanks to its extremely repetitive design. If GoldenEye is indeed the Sean Connery of 007 video games, then Blood Stone is the George Lazenby; not bad, but not good either, and forgettable in almost every way. At just five hours long and lacking in any real innovation or challenge, it won't leave you feeling shaken nor stirred, just shortchanged.

Now I just have to hear about Blood Drive.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 08:29:01 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 02, 2010, 08:21:39 PM

IGN gave it a 5/10.  OUT!

Closing Comments
Blood Stone is not a bad game: it's just a painfully average one. There aren't any majorly broken elements to it, but just because this Stone is relatively polished, doesn't make it a gem. There really isn't anything at all remarkable about it, and even though it's extremely short it still manages to wear out its welcome thanks to its extremely repetitive design. If GoldenEye is indeed the Sean Connery of 007 video games, then Blood Stone is the George Lazenby; not bad, but not good either, and forgettable in almost every way. At just five hours long and lacking in any real innovation or challenge, it won't leave you feeling shaken nor stirred, just shortchanged.

Now I just have to hear about Blood Drive.

Umm, can you keep Bloodstone in a separate thread? It has nothing to do with Goldeneye on the Wii, which is actually scoring well.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »

1Up gives it a B+.

Sean Lama
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 10:25:04 PM »

Wow,  based on the IGN review it sounds like a heckuva game. IN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 12:30:48 AM »

damn, the local Gamestop was sold out.  oh well, I'm looking at a pile with 3 Wii games that I haven't even touched yet so maybe it's a good thing.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 04:36:59 AM »

Lots of stock where I live, but EB/Gamestop has decided to only sell the edition that includes the classic controller - greedy bastards. They pulled the same crap with Monster Hunter Tri. Luckily there 1 or 2 big box stores in my area that still have stock.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 04:45:55 AM »

Only had time for one level of MP and part of the SP campaign, but so far I really like it.

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »

Being almost as much of a Bond freak as PeteRock is a Rocky freak (well, probably not, but still) I picked this up last night.  It caused me to finally unbox the never-used Wii I have had in my closet for over a year now smile

So obviously I have never played an FPS on the Wii and I figured that actually aiming at bad guys with a "gun" would be pretty cool.  But my God, the Wii pointer thingy is horribly imprecise.

Is it just a learning curve or does the Wii pointer in fact suck for precision uses like shooting evil henchmen?

Also I hate the way the screen slews around when I get to close to the edge of the screen with my targeting pipper thing..

Tell me it gets better.  Please.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 04:46:02 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on November 03, 2010, 03:18:32 PM

So obviously I have never played an FPS on the Wii and I figured that actually aiming at bad guys with a "gun" would be pretty cool.  But my God, the Wii pointer thingy is horribly imprecise.

Is it just a learning curve or does the Wii pointer in fact suck for precision uses like shooting evil henchmen?

There's setup considerations for a Wii that can effect how accurately the IR sensor tracks. For one, you need to ensure that there isn't any bright lighting sources in the vicinity of the IR sensing bar. As well, there's a setting in the Wii setup that allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the IR sensor. I'd suggest looking into those if the tracking is poor. Not having Goldeneye yet I can't comment on it, but I've been using my Wiimote for years to play lightgun games like Ghost Squad, House of the Dead 2,3 & Overkill and it's proven to be an excellent controller. As well, I've found it to be a very good controller for the 2 Resident Evil on-rails shooters, the Medal of Honor Heroes 2 FPS and for Metroid 3.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 04:49:18 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 03, 2010, 04:36:59 AM

Lots of stock where I live, but EB/Gamestop has decided to only sell the edition that includes the classic controller - greedy bastards. They pulled the same crap with Monster Hunter Tri. Luckily there 1 or 2 big box stores in my area that still have stock.

they didn't even have that version, which I might have for the blinged out controller.  I can wait though, I still got Fable 3 to finish and Dance Central to play around with.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 03, 2010, 04:49:18 PM

they didn't even have that version, which I might have for the blinged out controller.  I can wait though, I still got Fable 3 to finish and Dance Central to play around with.

It's not a bad deal if you don't have the classic gamepad as it's the version of that controller with the handholds. Nintendo seems to be really milking it in my area though, as the regular edition sells for $50 while the classic gamepad+ edition cost $75. Considering the standard classic controller can be had for $20 where I live, that doesn't seems like such a special deal. This is far from the the 1st time Ninty's milked the market here for a peripheral though - heck they wrote the book on that.  Roll Eyes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 06:38:29 PM »

The bundle is retailing for 70 bucks here down south so your not getting ripped off to badly.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 08:00:56 PM »

they didn't even have that version, which I might have for the blinged out controller.  I can wait though, I still got Fable 3 to finish and Dance Central to play around with.

Dance Central just got recalled.  My guess is it's a rights issue.  If you don't already have it, it'll be a while.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 08:06:24 PM »

Being almost as much of a Bond freak as PeteRock is a Rocky freak (well, probably not, but still) I picked this up last night.  It caused me to finally unbox the never-used Wii I have had in my closet for over a year now smile

Also I hate the way the screen slews around when I get to close to the edge of the screen with my targeting pipper thing..

Maybe you need the MotionPlus attachment?

Sean Lama
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 03, 2010, 08:06:24 PM

Didn't even know about it smile  Will try adjusting sensitivity in the console, then give this a whirl.  Thanks for the heads-up!

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 08:16:23 PM »

I don't think it needs MotionPlus. It's just a bit of a learning curve, is all. I had initial problems playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy, but after a little practice, it's cake.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on November 03, 2010, 08:12:31 PM

Quote from: Ridah on November 03, 2010, 08:06:24 PM

Didn't even know about it smile  Will try adjusting sensitivity in the console, then give this a whirl.  Thanks for the heads-up!

There are also a bunch of tweaks you can make in the game's settings.  It grows on you once you find a setting you're comfortable with.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 03, 2010, 08:00:56 PM

Dance Central just got recalled.  My guess is it's a rights issue.  If you don't already have it, it'll be a while.

You might want to re read that article.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 09:25:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 03, 2010, 09:02:54 PM

Are you attacking his reading comprehension skills? Flamer!

Sean Lama
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 10:28:40 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 03, 2010, 09:25:38 PM

It wasn't updated when I read it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 11:47:45 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 03, 2010, 10:28:40 PM

Quote from: Ridah on November 03, 2010, 09:25:38 PM

It wasn't updated when I read it.

I figured as much.  I just checked Amazon and my copy is getting ready to be shipped.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here played the free Goldeneye 007 mod for Halflife 2? I was looking at some of the screenshots last night and it looked decent. It's over 1 GB in size, so I'm thinking it's fairly comprehensive. Don't want to derail the thread or anything - just curious.

I'm struggling between getting this and Monster Hunter Tri, which I still haven't played. Split-screen co-op campaign play is my favorite gameplay style, and IIRC Goldeneye doesn't have it - correct?
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 12:23:07 PM »

Last night I got a chance to play this with my two step-brothers. It was the first time I've tried to play a FPS on the wii, and I really hope it will be the last. We all struggled with it, so there were plenty of 1-on-1 battles where we were running in circles firing wildly. It felt like the first time I tried to play a shooter using a console controller.

I struggle a lot with any wii game that uses the controller+nunchuck, and I wonder if some of that is due to me being left handed. I'm so used to movement being controlled by my left thumb that I have to hold the nunchuck with my left hand, which leaves my non-dominant hand for the aiming. I've tried to hold the nunchuck with my right hand, but that feels even worse.

Overall, the multiplayer wasn't as nostalgic as I had hoped. I didn't recognize any of the maps, and they added so many new weapons and attachments that it felt like I was playing a different game. The only thing that made it feel like the original was seeing Jaws running around the map. Combined with my aiming issues, and I lost interest pretty quickly. Next time I play I would like to try with the gamepad, and see if that helps.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 07:26:50 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 04, 2010, 05:53:29 PM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here played the free Goldeneye 007 mod for Halflife 2? I was looking at some of the screenshots last night and it looked decent. It's over 1 GB in size, so I'm thinking it's fairly comprehensive. Don't want to derail the thread or anything - just curious.

I tried it awhile back, wasn't too impressed but things may have been polished up since.

Because I can,
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 02:32:16 AM »

So far I'm digging this. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, and yes, I have had some aiming issues, but it reminds me of games like No One Lives Forever.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2010, 07:26:50 AM

Quote from: kronovan on November 04, 2010, 05:53:29 PM

I tried it awhile back, wasn't too impressed but things may have been polished up since.

My son and I downloaded it and fired it up this weekend and I was very impressed. It's now in Beta 4 and quite stable, although my son encountered a few disconnection issues - I didn't. It certainly brought back memories of GE64 and the selection of avatars look hilarious - I played the obnoxious hacker Boris sans cheesy skater shorts.  slywink  I was surprised at the number of maps -far more than the original- and the quality of them; many nice, quality HD updates of the N64 game ones. I was under the impression that it had SP too but it doesn't. That said, I surprised myself by actually enjoying the MP and managing to finish out of the bottom a few times. There wasn't too many playing, but we found a server with 6 already on and that seemed about right considering the GE64 remake maps are not very big.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2010, 07:11:37 AM »

Ordered it from Amazon and I love it. I haven't played the original N64 game, but I'll say this is probably one of the best looking Wii games, not to mention probably the best FPS on the Wii. The only thing I don't like is that there are times when I can't aim because the sensor's acts like it's outside the zone, but that's probably more due to the Wii itself rather than the game. Do we have enough people on here to set up some multiplayer? slywink
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 07:14:36 AM by Rumpy » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: