http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:45:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goldeneye: Rogue Agent (Can you say "ouch"?)  (Read 3093 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2004, 02:47:02 AM »

Gamespot has its review up here: 6.3 (Xbox)

I don't like Jeff Gerstmann as a reviewer but this is a pretty good beat down.  I'm kind of bummed because the game sounded so interesting from a conceptual point of view...I wonder if this will be the end of the Bond games for a while.

I also got my new OXM today and it scored an 8.0 in there, but OXM's reviews can often be way off the mark.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 03:12:16 AM »

OUCH!

Scratch this off my list. good stuff, didnt need to spend any more cash.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 04:53:05 AM »

Thank goodness. I just saved $50.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 05:12:09 AM »

IGN didn't give it much better: 6.5 (Xbox)

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 01:14:41 PM »

Doesn't surprise me.  Everything I've seen about this game just screams "generic first person shooter".

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 02:11:12 PM »

The PS2 mag (I don't remember the official name) gave Goldeneye a 6.5. And they inflate scores more than any reviewers I've seen - in the same magazine they gave Killzone a 9.5!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 03:55:07 PM »

Man, EA is the best!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 04:03:02 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
Man, EA is the best!

Well, they did give us Burnout 3 this year.  If Criterion was still with Acclaim, I doubt the game would have been as good and probably would never have seen the light of day.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 04:41:10 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
Doesn't surprise me.  Everything I've seen about this game just screams "generic first person shooter".

So true. The previews for this game had "designed by committee" written all over it. Same with EA's LotR game that came out earlier this month. Hopefully, EA will figure out at some point that a game is more than just the sum of its features list.

EDIT: copied some of Chaz's language in my post. Sorry.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 05:38:22 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Man, EA is the best!

Well, they did give us Burnout 3 this year.  If Criterion was still with Acclaim, I doubt the game would have been as good and probably would never have seen the light of day.
Burnout 3 wasn't that great, imo.  The AI in the game is a cheating bastard and it's painfully obvious.  Hell, GTA:SA has a more "legit" racing system than Burnout 3 did!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 06:08:10 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
The AI in the game is a cheating bastard and it's painfully obvious.

Well, if you had played the other Burnouts you'd know what type of AI there would be in Burnout 3, so really this isn't much of an excuse.  I didn't really forsee Criterion changing the rubberbanding AI honestly.  However, you can continue to live in the EA hate community, no problem.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 07:13:45 PM »

I knew this game would get shit reviews.  I saw this video of it from GameTrailers...and it looked like crap.  I hope nobody buys this game just because I don't understand how game companies to turn out shit products.  How can they stand by their products and be proud of something?  It's pathetic.  Shame on you, EA.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 08:24:47 PM »

Thats a bummer this game doesn't appear to be very good.  Because bond is one of the coolest franchises and I thinkt he games should be great just lik eold days Golden Eye on N64.  I think regardless this will get a rent from me just for that.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 08:55:30 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I knew this game would get shit reviews.  I saw this video of it from GameTrailers...and it looked like crap.  I hope nobody buys this game just because I don't understand how game companies to turn out shit products.  How can they stand by their products and be proud of something?  It's pathetic.  Shame on you, EA.

I thought the last bond game, EoN, was pretty damn good.  I like plenty of other EA games too.  Yeah they turn out some clunkers but I have nothing against them as a company.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 09:55:09 PM »

In a way it's good so that's less games to spend money on.  But would have rather have had a good game released since I liked the change in perspective.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 10:50:32 PM »

I can't keep straight which Bond games are good..there are some that are good or even really good, right ?

>
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 11:04:44 PM »

My opinion with the N64 to today Bond games...

Great:

Goldeneye (N64)

Good:

Everything or Nothing (Xbox, PS2, GC)

Marginal:

Nightfire (Xbox, PS2, GC) - I liked this better than AUF
Agent Under Fire (Xbox, PS2, GC)

Bad:

Rogue Agent (Xbox, PS2, GC) it seems

The marginal and bad ones are the FPS games, EoN was a 3rd person game.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2004, 01:34:37 PM »

To digress for a moment, I disagree.Burnout 2 was a pretty good game, and there was nothing revolutionary (only evolutionary) in the gameplay of Burnout3. I doubt EA had much to do with anything except the online play, which, IMHO, was poorly done and is still stinky even today. I hate the fact that the game isn't live-aware or that when I log in it then needs to be "LOGGING INTO EA". Crashing? During peak times, it still does.

Everything EA devours has eventually been squeezed out of any IP and then tossed away. Look at Bullfrog, Origin Systems, etc...  Wing Commander, Ultima VII and previous, Syndicate, Theme-house-of-ill-repute, where are you now?

They are the most near-sighted company ever. I swear, they buy a company based on existing IPs, drain it of any market value, and then crush the remnants. They're 3DO, except successful. They don't seem to plant new fields.. they go back to conquering new companies and razing them to the ground.

To sum up : EA has killed my inner child.

Back to the subject at hand. slywink Golden-eye sucking so much ass? No, I'm not surprised. Challenge Everything. It's in the Game. Bah.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 03:47:33 PM »

AgtFox: You forgot The World is not Enough. I think that was EA's first bond game, and it was back on the 64 some time after Goldeneye. Also, it was a turd.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 03:58:25 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure I missed a few in there biggrin

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2004, 07:11:19 PM »

Well, I rented it and I must say I was not impressed at all.  Took it back the same day.  Ugh.  G e n e r i c all the way and uninspiring.  But I was not expecting much, so, I was not disappointed.  

A pass for me at any price.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2004, 04:56:37 PM »

Man, EA is the best!

I have to disagree too.  EA came on late in the game's development, and all it added to Burnout 3 was a bunch of in-game ads for its own games and a lot of marketing money.

Burnout 3's gameplay is very similar to Burnout 2, and while  a lot of the new features are very fun, it's still very close to Burnout 2 (which was a great game).
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2004, 07:49:21 PM »

Oh, EA's just a fantastic company, Fox:

After all, they treat their employees so nicely.

And the employees love them for it!

Well, if you had played the other Burnouts you'd know what type of AI there would be in Burnout 3, so really this isn't much of an excuse.

I haven't played the other Burnouts, sorry.  And I'm not exactly sure what kind of "excuse" I need to call Burnout 3 what it is: a steaming turd of a racing game combined with a fun crashing game.

Just because Criterion made the same AI mistake twice in a row doesn't mean it's OK for them to do it again with Burnout 3.  It's amateurish, and suggests both a lack of coding experience and a lacking desire to get any better.

Thus they were a perfect fit for EA.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2004, 07:54:36 PM »

Hey, I enjoyed the hell out of Burnout3.  I loved Burnout2 so I knew what I was getting into.  The computer cheating?  Yea, knew that going in.  Is that EA's fault?  Nope...they didn't put in one bit of code.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2004, 08:57:56 PM »

All of the Burnouts kicked ass.  Three is my GOTY.  I like the rubberband AI.  I suspect it was intentially made like that.

omgz
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2004, 09:16:35 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
It's amateurish, and suggests both a lack of coding experience and a lacking desire to get any better.

Uhhhhh, lol?  I think they put that sort of AI in there because people like the heat of the battle...making use of that great crash engine...I enjoyed the racing.  Calling it "amateurish" is quite rediculous.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2004, 09:42:36 PM »

Rubberband AI would be OK if:

-Your lead was capped at 5-10 seconds instead of the 1-2.  It's utterly ridiculous that the AI can have a lead of 30 seconds on you, while the best you can get is 2 seconds.

-AI racers offscreen in front of you actually had a chance to crash.  They don't.  If you can't see the AI, it's either right behind you or driving flawlessly (actually it's being moved along the track by a simple formula which doesn't even account for crashing!)

The "deathmatch" parts of the game are sweet.  The crashing is great.  The racing is amateurish, half-baked, and awful.  Like I said, even the GTA games have better racing models than Burnout... and racing isn't a third of the game in GTA like it is in Burnout!

Head over to quartertothree.com and check out Tom Chick's review of Burnout 3 for an opinion that meshes well with my take on the game.  Tom says it best when he notes it's actually better to drive slowly in the races and take the lead at the last second--otherwise the AI enables god mode (warping behind you with perfect acceleration and once ahead, driving flawlessly) and you lose.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2004, 09:49:53 PM »

Let's get back on topic because this is quickly becoming a Burnout 3 thread instead of a Rogue Agent thread.  I didn't think my little comment would create such discussion.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2004, 12:19:09 AM »

Let's get back on topic because this is quickly becoming a Burnout 3 thread instead of a Rogue Agent thread.  I didn't think my little comment would create such discussion.
My bad.

I'm half-sad and half-happy about Goldeneye.  Sad because I like the idea of the "Opposing Force" expansion for Half-Life, happy because it's one less $50 game I feel compelled to buy.   biggrin

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: