http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 10:23:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GOG to Sell Cheap Downloads of Classic PC Games  (Read 11209 times)
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2008, 07:11:26 PM »

The email I got back said I had entered in my email incorrectly when I made that account. That didn't make much sense to me since I got the email and was able to log in to the account the first time just fine. The suggestion was to make a new account, which I did, and it worked.

I logged in and promptly purchased the Redneck Rampage collection and went to get my free download (Fallout 2). Only it never came up with the offer for the free download. After reading the fine print it indicated you had to get in to the beta between such-and-such date. My original account was created during that time but the new account was not. So I lost out on the deal.  icon_evil

It looks like the games use DosBox to run. I did have to change some settings in DosBox and the RR config files to get the game running without major flickering and graphical glitches. The forums on GoG were invaluable at getting that fixed.

I have to say we've come a long way with controlling FPS. The default RR control scheme is keyboard with the Up/Down/Left/Right arrows being used to controll your characters movement and turning. And to get mouse aiming to work you need to hit a key each time you start a game to enable it.
tylertoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2008, 08:47:24 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on September 14, 2008, 02:52:24 AM

I'd be really curious to hear that reason, as I have Freespace 2, the campaign for Freespace 1 and it's expansion, plus numerous mods all downloaded from the site I linked. As far as I know there is nothing in Freespace 2 that is not available via open-source.

On the GOG forums, on this very question, I found this:

This is Turey, the creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer. I'd like to say that I'm ecstatic that a way to buy FreeSpace 2 legally has appeared, and that when GOG goes public, I'll be removing the retail files from my installer and instead pointing people here.

While there was no good way to aquire FS2 legally, the distribution of these files was a necessary evil to keep the community alive, but now that FS2 is available DRM-free for a very low price, there's no reason why the community shouldn't support GOG.

Perhaps that clears this up, perhaps not.  I just grabbed FS2 from GOG as my 2-for-1 freebie, along with Giants: Citizens Kabuto.  I've never played a space sim, so FS2 will be my first.

Not sure if I should mod it right away with this FreeSpace Open Installer, it looks intimidating.  Does it up the graphics?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2008, 12:54:36 AM »

I didn't get the 2-for-1 coupon, did that offer expire or something?
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2008, 01:45:13 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 29, 2008, 12:54:36 AM

I didn't get the 2-for-1 coupon, did that offer expire or something?

Yes. Had to purchase the game by midnight on the 21st.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2008, 02:02:57 AM »

I sad. frown
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2008, 05:20:47 PM »

Saw a note at Blue's about this going into Public Beta:
http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

I'd be interested in Giants: Citizen Kabuto. I seem to remember having trouble getting it to install on my previous XP machine.

I doubt they'd be interested, but I'd love to see some of Big Time Software's pre-Combat Mission turn-based stuff get reworked to work in XP/Vista OK ("Over the Reich," "Achtung Spitfire!" and "Flight Commander 2" in particular). Big Time's rep told me at their boards years ago it wasn't "worth the time or money" to upgrade Over the Reich, or Achtung Spitfire to work in XP, which I translated as "Everyone's playing Combat Mission now? Why do you want to play our old crap?"  disgust I loved those games because of the slight RPG aspect (Pilot's improving the more they flew, the pain of losing good pilots in combat, pilots with special aiming abilities etc.). even if the graphics were spartan, to put it kindly.

I tried every compatibility setting and never had any luck.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:22:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2008, 05:35:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 23, 2008, 05:20:47 PM

Saw a note at Blue's about this going into Public Beta:
http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

I'd be interested in Giants: Citizen Kabuto. I seem to remember having trouble getting it to install on my previous XP machine.

I doubt they'd be interested, but I'd love to see some of Big Time Software's pre-Combat Mission turn-based stuff get reworked to work in XP/Vista OK ("Over the Reich," "Achtung Spitfire!" and "Flight Commander 2" in particular). Big Time's rep told me at their boards years ago it wasn't "worth the time or money" to upgrade Over the Reich, or Achtung Spitfire to work in XP, which I translated as "Everyone's playing Combat Mission now? Why do you want to play our old crap?"  disgust I loved those games because of the slight RPG aspect (Pilot's improving the more they flew, the pain of losing good pilots in combat, pilots with special aiming abilities etc.). even if the graphics were spartan, to put it kindly.

I tried every compatibility setting and never had any luck.

The GOG version of Giants installs and runs perfectly under XP.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2008, 09:34:54 PM »

I dont see on their site anything about a buy so many get one free deal...is there one?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2008, 10:06:23 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 23, 2008, 09:34:54 PM

I dont see on their site anything about a buy so many get one free deal...is there one?

Nope, it was just during the first two weeks or so of the beta.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »

this week they added Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2 for $5.99 each.  I think I'll be grabbing those this weekend.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2008, 07:39:21 PM »

The late great SSI had some hex-based wargame stuff I couldn't get running on XP (including People's General, and Panzer General 3-D). Now it may have just been my fussy machine, but if they started carrying stuff like that or even the original Panzer General, I'd be pretty keen on getting those.

I still haven't GoG'd officially, but maybe it'll be on my resolutions list.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »

I'm not sure how legal this is, but it certainly works and fans of Panzer General II should definitely give it a look!

Panzer General II Site - Mods and Installation

Bael
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2008, 10:47:39 PM »

Only one I liked was ...was it Space General?..it was the only sci-fi one. Was fun.

EDIT: Star General!

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2008, 11:22:44 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on December 11, 2008, 07:59:00 PM

I'm not sure how legal this is, but it certainly works and fans of Panzer General II should definitely give it a look!

Panzer General II Site - Mods and Installation

Bael

I actually just installed it last night on my Eee PC.  It runs like a dream. And so many campaigns!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2008, 05:01:25 AM »

as a X-Mas present they are offering Beneath a Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress for free.  Hopefully they won't be charging for BaSS, as I believe it's already legally available for free online.  They also added Darkstar One, which doesn't have Starforce attached to it  thumbsup

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2008, 05:04:53 AM »

just posted in the steals and deals forum...both LotT and BaSS are free. I downloaded both already. smile

EDIT: Wait you posted they are free then posted you hoped they wouldn't charge for it...head splodes. smile

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2008, 07:46:52 AM »

Wow, lure of the temptress, that's a game I used to play a lot... I remember the manual stating that it was creating a virtual world, with characters interacting with each other, whether you were there to see it or not. Off course it didn't do that, but it was still a nice adventure. I mean, how many games let you torture a guy to death in its opening scenes?
Slightly off topic, I think Blade Runner said the same thing, about it creating a real living world, but I don't remember that either as having much effect.

Too bad really, when you think about it, that could really make for a good adventure game...
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2008, 09:04:07 AM »

I'm tempted. JA2, Darkstar One, Die by the Sword (omg!), the Freespaces and the MDKs are all great games. It's also a good way to get Soldiers: HOWW2 without Starforce. Fallout Tactics was also a lot of fun IMO, and it allows you to create a team and go head-to-head with a buddy online. Fallout! Turn-based! Online! Imagine the awesomeness.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2008, 09:09:12 AM »

Yeah, BASS has been freely available for ages.  Lure of the Temptress was a fantastic adventure in its day, I think I'm going to have to grab that for nostalgia's sake.

Quote from: The Rocketman on December 19, 2008, 07:46:52 AM

Slightly off topic, I think Blade Runner said the same thing, about it creating a real living world, but I don't remember that either as having much effect.

They claimed that the story engine or whatever they called it was intelligent and would dynamically alter key story points, characters, events etc on the fly so that no two games would ever be the same.  Total bollocks - it was always the same.  Still a pretty nice game though. smile

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2008, 09:10:42 AM »

Sweet, they have Sacrifice too! I replayed this on Vista last year, and it still works great. It's probably one of my favorite games of all time. It's definitely worth the $6.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2009, 04:13:46 PM »

This week they added Gothic 2 Gold.  Hopefully they'll have a Gothic weekend sale soon with 1 & 2 for 10 bucks.

Because I can,
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2009, 07:26:01 PM »

Heh, yeah. That's pretty much what I'm waiting for too.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2009, 01:28:30 AM »

Quote from: Fellow on February 06, 2009, 07:26:01 PM

Heh, yeah. That's pretty much what I'm waiting for too.

I caught myself almost already buying them earlier.  must.. resist...

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2009, 05:49:26 PM »

Got a pretty cool update from GoG that Ubisoft has agreed to have GoG start carrying some of their older games. They're now carrying IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and Beyond Good and Evil (one might argue the last two seemed better suited to consoles).

On the batter's deck, they say, are the original Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six and Far Cry. icon_cool I'm sorry, I meant to say, the original Tom Clancy'sTM Ghost Recon and Tom Clancy'sTM Rainbow Six. Happy, Tom?  smirk

I still have not actually bought anything from GoG yet. I think I'll get Giants: Citizen Kabuto at some point; I seem to recall having trouble getting it to install in Vista off my original CD of it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 05:52:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: