http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:01:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GOG to Sell Cheap Downloads of Classic PC Games  (Read 11154 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:04:58 PM »

Do we need another Steam clone? Yes we do:

Black Isle Studios' post-apocalyptic RPGs Fallout and Fallout 2 will be among the many long-lost PC titles soon re-released by Good Old Games, a new online venture from The Witcher (PC) developer CD Projekt.

Located at GOG.com and slated to launch in September, the online store will sell DRM-free digital downloads of old-school PC games at $5.99 or $9.99 a pop. A closed public beta will go live on August 1, with the site currently accepting beta applications.

"Our main goal is to try and deliver the best games of all time for PC," marketing VP Tom Ohle explained to Shacknews.

The site will initially carry titles from publishers Interplay and Codemasters, including the previously-mentioned Fallout series, MDK 1 and 2, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Freespace 1 and 2, Sacrifice, Descent 1-3 and Kingpin: Life of Crime.

While a full list of the store's launch offerings has yet to be finalized, other games slated to appear by September include Shattered Steel, Jagged Alliance 2, Redneck Rampage, Operation: Flashpoint, Colin McRae, and TOCA Race Driver 3.

Each game sports full compatibility with Windows XP and Vista, and does not require any sort of online activation. To eliminate compatibility issues, the team has source code access to most games and will be creating custom installers for each title.

Once purchased, a title can be re-downloaded an unlimited number of times, allowing users to install the game on multiple machines.

Ohle revealed that LucasArts' beloved catalog of PC games represents one of the "holy grails" CD Projekt hopes to offer one day. That lineup includes adventure games such as the Monkey Island series, Sam & Max: Freelance Police and Grim Fandango, along with Totally Games' space combat simulators X-Wing and TIE Fighter.

Ron was supposed to post this, but apparently he's busy making sure the site remains stable. Sorry. Tongue

Thoughts? I know that I'm MORE than willing to pay $10 to play the likes of TIE Fighter again under XP/Vista.

EDIT: And GT now has their Press Release up if you want to take a look.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 01:07:07 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:08:14 PM »

If they can actually make some of these games work natively in Vista without having to jump through a ton of compatibility/driver hoops, I'd definitely be interested.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:26:06 PM »

There's a Freespace 2 game that I've never been able to get a copy of - admittedly I haven't tried hard, but even so I look forward to see what other oldies they offer.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:55:29 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on July 10, 2008, 10:26:06 PM

There's a Freespace 2 game that I've never been able to get a copy of - admittedly I haven't tried hard, but even so I look forward to see what other oldies they offer.

I thought that Freespace was released as freeware sometime back... Maybe it was something else...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 12:07:29 AM »

Well...considering I can get 100's of PC games on Gametap for ony $9.99 a month subscription; $5.99 - $9.99 per game seems quite steep.

BTW Freespace 2 will be available on gametap within the next few months.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:13:31 AM »

I wonder if they are going to support higher resolution.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 12:30:17 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 11, 2008, 12:07:29 AM

unless it gets pulled because of this.  It's already been pulled once.  I'm looking forward to finally getting to try Giants, Sacrifice and Kingpin.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 12:42:38 AM »

I'm running into enough Vista 64-bit compatibility problems to be wary of things that say "Vista-compatible" cause I keep seeing an asterisk that say "64-bit operating systems not supported." :p

If they can find a way for me to run Darkstone, Over the Reich and Achtung Spitfire (apparently the disk-check is part of the reason those won't run in XP or Vista), Crusader No Remorse/No Regret (they'll run if you screw around with DOS emulators), and some even moldier oldies, they might hook me.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:57:14 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 11, 2008, 12:07:29 AM

Well...considering I can get 100's of PC games on Gametap for ony $9.99 a month subscription; $5.99 - $9.99 per game seems quite steep.

This service lets you buy the game and then you own that copy DRM free. If you stop paying Gametap those games go away. I like that there's a variety of ways a person has to buy or essentially rent games. More choice is good IMO.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 02:03:38 AM »

shacknews has an excellent interview with them up. this looks really good and the price is about right as well. the thing that stood out most for me was their DRM frame of mind. they basically said people are going to pirate no matter, but we're going to make this service the easiest to use it can be. no DRM on anything is great. i wish other companies would look to this that no one wants DRM and who cares about piracy. make good games and they will sell.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 04:28:52 PM »

I saw in another interview they also listed Lionheart (another I always wanted to play) and best of all SHOGO!

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 05:03:09 PM »

this could be a great way to get games that have long since fallen off the retail chain and it means no hassling with ebay.  sounds great.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 09:46:35 PM »

There's a Gamebanshee interview (probably what Ceekay saw) that mentions a few games not currently displayed on the site:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/goodoldgames1.php
Tom: I'll mention some of my favorites that aren't on the teaser site... Jagged Alliance 2, MDK 2, Redneck Rampage, Kingpin, Lionheart, Descent 1-3, Shogo... ah the list goes on and on.
I loved MDK (and to a lesser extent MDK2).

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
JCAnejo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »

I am in just to play Redneck Rampage again.

"My head hearts, my feet stink and I don't love Jesus." Not sure my family is as excited to hear me start saying that again.

Now if they can add the simple Joy of "Carmegeddon"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 02:09:20 PM »

just got this email about the beta test:

Hi! Thanks for signing up to the GOG.com beta!
We just want to give you a quick update about GOG.com and the upcoming closed beta which will give you early access to the GOG.com experience.

The announcement of GOG.com surprised everybody - gaming media, gamers and the competition. But it was your reaction to our initiative that exceeded our wildest expectations. We would like to thank you very much for showing such incredible interest in GOG.com. We were originally planning to launch the closed beta on August 1 for a small set of people, but our plans have changed and we're delaying the beta a bit. We've decided to reward all of you for your great interest in GOG.com and we'll give early access to everyone who signed up!

At this stage we are adding the finishing touches to the site and testing the new payment system to provide you with the best GOG.com experience. During the next few weeks, we will send out access keys, which will allow you to enter GOG.com and get you on your way to gaming like it's 1995 smile.

Thanks for your support and see you soon on GOG.com!

Cheers,
GOG.com Team

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 03:07:50 PM »

Cool, but no email for me yet. /sad panda

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 04:48:53 PM »

I saw in another interview they also listed Lionheart

WOW - I literally have not thought of that game since I beat it umpteen-million years ago. As I recall, the game got pretty mediocre reviews, but I always thought it got a bad rap. I really enjoyed it.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 04:15:26 AM »

I sure hope they do some tweaking of the games to get the speed/sound/graphics right. I usually don't have trouble installing old games, but getting them to run correctly is another story.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 02:13:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 05, 2008, 02:09:20 PM

We just want to give you a quick update about GOG.com and the upcoming closed beta which will give you early access to the GOG.com experience.

The announcement of GOG.com surprised everybody - gaming media, gamers and the competition. But it was your reaction to our initiative that exceeded our wildest expectations. We would like to thank you very much for showing such incredible interest in GOG.com. We were originally planning to launch the closed beta on August 1 for a small set of people, but our plans have changed and we're delaying the beta a bit. We've decided to reward all of you for your great interest in GOG.com and we'll give early access to everyone who signed up!

At this stage we are adding the finishing touches to the site and testing the new payment system to provide you with the best GOG.com experience. During the next few weeks, we will send out access keys, which will allow you to enter GOG.com and get you on your way to gaming like it's 1995 smile.

Cheers,
GOG.com Team

I got that one too.  Very interested to see what they do.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 10:03:53 PM »

Over the Reich and Achtung Spitfire

was one of these games NOT a flight sim, and was more of a wargame / logistics sim?  and if it isnt either of these, does anyone have a clue what im talking about?

also, i miss "back in the day" when i could type in the name of a game that was 5 -10 years old and download it free (of charge and guilt).  now if i want to do that i have to get in on 733t haxxxors type sites that i will not frequent (hell as of today ive only ever even downloaded one torrent - and i eventually won what i dl-ed so that doesnt even count!)  damn you commercial internet, damn you!

its like in the old days where you could buy an old toy for like 25cents at a yard sale - now those old toys are "collectors items" that sell for 250 dollars on ebay instead of 25cents on my neighbors front year! *old curmudgeon rant off*
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »

I think both Achtung and OTR were both turn-based tactical airplane combat.
tgb1.1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 07:47:20 PM »

Cheers,
GOG.com Team

So you get to buy stuff before anyone else gets to buy stuff?  Lucky you.

"My performance in Postal as 'Nazi Theme Park Owner' outperforms easily Ben Kingsley in Schindler's List!" - Uwe Boll
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 01:01:42 AM »

This is fantastic news! I'll be IN for many of these classics.

Farscry, we'll finally be able to play TIE Fighter again!!

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 01:10:05 AM »

Quote from: tgb1.1 on August 08, 2008, 07:47:20 PM

Cheers,
GOG.com Team

So you get to buy stuff before anyone else gets to buy stuff?  Lucky you.

maybe they'll be nice and give beta testers special perks.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 03:32:59 PM »

whew!  I thought maybe GOG died before it was born:

Early Access Beta is Coming! Beware.

On Monday, September 8, anyone who signed up for the GOG.com beta will start receiving access keys to the site. We're saying goodbye to the press beta and gearing up for the next phase: Early Access Beta. Everyone who signs up at www.gog.com before Sunday September 7 at midnight (EDT), during the next week will receive an access key, which will allow them to dive into the GOG.com site. If you don't receive your access key on Monday, don't worry as we're sending them out in stages. The Early Access Beta will offer all the main features of the site, including buying DRM-free games, joining the community and writing reviews. Apart from just getting access, everyone buys a game from GOG.com during the Early Access Beta will receive a bonus code to get one game from GOG.comís Interplay catalogue for free! So what are you waiting for? If you havenít signed up yet, be sure to enter your email address and get in on the action.

that's a nice little perk if they have a decent selection if Interplay games available.  I wonder if it's one code per game bought, or one code for the duration of the beta.

Because I can,
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 04:14:37 PM »

I want Starcon 2! And Master of Magic.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on September 03, 2008, 04:14:37 PM

I assume you mean Star Control 2, which is already available for free in an improved version with remixed music and voice-overs, and which works perfectly with tons of OSes. You can get it here: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Don't let the version number fool you. It's been stable and bug-free for years already.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »

I still have my 3.5 'floppy' discs for Master of Orion and Master of Magic. How's that for holding onto old games? biggrin

I really gotta install those onto my Eee... Hmmm...

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 07:29:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 03, 2008, 05:40:28 PM

I still have my 3.5 'floppy' discs for Master of Orion and Master of Magic. How's that for holding onto old games? biggrin

I really gotta install those onto my Eee... Hmmm...

Yeah, I'm looking at those Acer Aspire One's and gog.com and just about drooling. This may be as close as we'll get to Fallout on the DS.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 09:20:08 PM »

Awesome.  Can't wait to give it a go.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 05:09:53 AM »

Anyone else in on this? I got my beta code email today.

They've got about 30 games available now, and a half dozen coming next week. Pretty good range of stuff from the 90's and up. From what I can tell from comments on their boards, it looks like they've taken steps to get the games to run well on XP and Vista.

There are a handful of games I'd like to grab. Might try to find some time this weekend to take advantage of the special deal. Two games for $6 is a good way to give this a try.

The buy-one-get-one deal is a one-time deal only, i.e., you can't buy two and get two.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 05:24:15 AM »

no code here yet  icon_cry

Because I can,
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 02:59:40 PM »

Got mine today. The link to the beta site didn't work since they had a comma at the end of the link...whoopsie.

I think I'll end up grabbing Fallout 2 and Tactics tonight.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 03:13:10 PM »

Just got my email too, so tonight I can check it out.

Because I can,
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 03:50:56 PM »

Finally got mine too
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 04:12:25 PM »

Obviously it's in BETA, but it seems that their website is put together pretty well, and is easy to navigate.  I haven't bought anything yet, but it shows some promise, and the price is right.  I also like the fact that once you buy the game, you own it and can download it an unlimited amount of times and do not need to be online to play.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 05:17:48 PM »

Got my beta code as well
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 05:24:41 PM »

Got my code, too. 

It's pretty great that some of the games come with mp3 soundtracks, too.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 05:58:14 PM »

I want my code!  icon_frown
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 06:54:38 PM »

hilarious.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print