http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 08:27:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GOG is in Cyprus? Foreign Transaction Fee?  (Read 2788 times)
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:13:03 AM »

I placed my first GOG.com order over the holidays when they had their sale.  I just received my credit card statement and it says that the company is in Cyprus and that I have been charged a foreign transaction fee!  The checkout page showed my purchase in dollars.  Anyone else have this issue?

Gamersgate also caused my credit card company to charge me a foreign transaction fee. 

Are any of these download services in the US?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 01:23:09 AM »

yeah, I get that fee too when buying from GOG.  I remembered seeing something on their site that they are based in Europe so it didn't bother me; I also remembered they are either backed or owned by CDProjekt, which is a European developer.

the only download services that I'm definite are in the US are Steam and Direct2Drive.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
KC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 01:32:29 AM »

I just saw that note about being located in Europe in their billing FAQs.  I think that they should make that point more prominent and include it on their checkout page.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 01:57:45 AM »

Quote from: KC on January 23, 2010, 01:32:29 AM

I just saw that note about being located in Europe in their billing FAQs.  I think that they should make that point more prominent and include it on their checkout page.

I could have sworn there was on the checkout page but now I don't see it.  looking over their forums it's been brought up and they've promised to do something about it but never have.  I'd have to say this is the first  thumbsdown I've seen for their service so far.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:50:16 PM »

Bumped as a reminder, as my just-posted CC statement got me a nice $0.61 charge courtesy of Citibank.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 10:53:11 PM »

Foreign transaction fee? What kind of archaic nonsense is that? I've paid for stuff all over the globe from here in Norway and never been charged any extra.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 11:01:48 PM »

My last purchase from GamersGate this month had a foreign transaction fee on my card I use with Paypal.  Under a dollar but very annoying.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »

LOTRO has stated they will have to charge for VAT now according to the new UK laws, so perhaps some general new tradelaws are being passed around the world?

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 11:16:09 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 28, 2010, 11:12:42 PM

LOTRO has stated they will have to charge for VAT now according to the new UK laws, so perhaps some general new tradelaws are being passed around the world?

We've been paying VAT on "digital goods and services" for nearly a decade now.  The recent notice from Codemasters about LOTRO was advising that we in the UK will be charged more from next year because VAT is going up.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 11:17:07 PM »

I thought GoG was based in Poland.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 12:54:29 AM »

I haven't had any extra charges with GoG, but was charged a hefty fee with GamersGate awhile back.   I haven't used them since.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 06:35:58 AM »

A lot of this is from your bank, actually.  I buy things from Japan routinely using Paypal, and have yet to see a fee for that.
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 06:38:33 AM »

I've been using GamersGate pretty regularly for about 6 months now. NEVER any additional fees of any kind. FWIW, I always choose the pay by VISA through Moneybookers of London option on the payment screen.

I also started using GoG on a regular basis about 2 months ago. Again, never any additional fees. The last one I bought there was a week ago.
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 06:40:36 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on December 29, 2010, 06:35:58 AM

A lot of this is from your bank, actually.  I buy things from Japan routinely using Paypal, and have yet to see a fee for that.
That's possible. I buy a lot of import games from all over the world (the latest from Thailand) through PayPal, and never got a fee in all these years.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 28, 2010, 11:16:09 PM

Quote from: Razgon on December 28, 2010, 11:12:42 PM

We've been paying VAT on "digital goods and services" for nearly a decade now.  The recent notice from Codemasters about LOTRO was advising that we in the UK will be charged more from next year because VAT is going up.

This is incorrect. Everyone will be charged the extra VAT. Supposedly we've always been charged VAT for LOTRO in Europe, but it's happened behind the scenes. The previous VAT was 17,5%, so our price is going up only slightly, and only for people with new subscriptions after the implementation date.

It's quite annoying for us Norwegians. We're not members of the EU, but we're still being charged as if we were.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 01:50:37 PM »

As a side note, I recently noticed that GoG listed a game in my account that I never purchased. I sent an email to GoG customer support last week, but haven't heard a reply. Does anyone have any experience contacting GoG about problems? Do they eventually get back to you or should I try sending another email? Thanks.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 02:04:07 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 29, 2010, 12:05:05 PM

This is incorrect. Everyone will be charged the extra VAT. Supposedly we've always been charged VAT for LOTRO in Europe, but it's happened behind the scenes. The previous VAT was 17,5%, so our price is going up only slightly, and only for people with new subscriptions after the implementation date.

It's quite annoying for us Norwegians. We're not members of the EU, but we're still being charged as if we were.

Hmm.  I've just read the email again and it specifically states that it's due to changes in UK VAT laws.  However, it does also say that it will apply to everyone playing on European servers.

Oh well.  Sucks to be Norwegian! icon_razz

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 02:24:42 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 29, 2010, 01:50:37 PM

As a side note, I recently noticed that GoG listed a game in my account that I never purchased. I sent an email to GoG customer support last week, but haven't heard a reply. Does anyone have any experience contacting GoG about problems? Do they eventually get back to you or should I try sending another email? Thanks.

It's not Jagged Alliance Deadly Games is it? They gave that to everyone for free.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 29, 2010, 02:24:42 PM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 29, 2010, 01:50:37 PM

It's not Jagged Alliance Deadly Games is it? They gave that to everyone for free.

icon_lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: