http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:35:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godzilla:StE Early Sightings/Impressions?  (Read 2704 times)
Zekester
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2004, 03:10:07 PM »

If anyone spots this for sale, speak up!  :wink:

Last I heard it was due on the 2nd.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 04:04:25 PM »

I tlooks like it comes out on PS2 tomorrow and Xbox in a week or so.  I haven't seen any sale stuff yet, but I will be keeping my eyes open for sure.  I can't wait to start destroying stuff.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 04:50:49 PM »

Looks like i'll be buying one for each system  :shock:

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 10:14:59 PM »

As soon as you get either you come back and tell me...  I wanna hear about it... I am currently on video game suspension until my $$ comes through... so let me live vicariously....
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 09:33:59 PM »

Picked it up today at EB.
They said they actually had it yesterday, but here i was screwing around with Gamestop  :!:

Impressions in a little bit  smile

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 11:50:14 PM »

Ok, just finished the 'Action' mode on 'Easy'

It played pretty much like DAMM where you have to beat monsters in succesion to a final battle on the 'Mothership'
Only this time after about 3 monsters, you have to destroy UFO's in a certain amount of time. And then again after 3 monsters, you have to destroy buildings to accumulate points.

On Easy, the monsters were no problem. The 'special' levels were a little tougher.

The PS2 graphics are good, but not up to XBox or even 'Cube standards....at least not in the lighting department.
Still looks good though.

I've fought Mothra and Baragon so far, and they were pretty neat.
Baragon's very fast.

Sound doesn't seem quite up to par with DAMM for some reason.

Control was good.

Off to play some more  smile

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 03:16:26 PM »

Awesome Zekester.. keep it coming.  Who are you playing with mostly?
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 05:20:03 PM »

I'm playing with myself
 err...with the game I mean  :shock:

Spoilers????

I tried some of the 'challenges' and the 'bowling' one was pretty funny.
You stand across the water from other monsters and try to bean them with boulders while they try to do the same thing to you.
If you knock them all down, you win. (once hit, they stay down for 30seconds)

So far this game is more of the same, only with added features and details.
A good thing IMO

Dislikes?
Well, you have to accumulate 'points' to go to the store and 'buy' (unlock) other monsters, cities, drawings, etc.
After finishing the Action mode on Easy, I only accumulated half the points needed to unlock another monster
 :!:

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 07:46:01 PM »

So how many monsters and arenas are locked to begin with?  I would assume about half, and if you only earned enough to unlock one... :shock:

Sandwiches do fix everything.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 08:28:04 PM »

Bought this yesterday. So far it seems good. Animations are good, but sometimes with the camera angles it gets hard to see whats going on untill ya topple some buildings. And at the end of the first chapter I cant quite figure out what to do. To start I think you can choose 8 out of 20 monsters. I havent gotten very far yet, but if you can only unlock one after finishing the arcade mode, it's gonna take a long time to unlock all.
BTW, anyone get this to work with HD Loader?
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 08:29:39 PM »

Bought this yesterday. So far it seems good. Animations are good, but sometimes with the camera angles it gets hard to see whats going on untill ya topple some buildings. And at the end of the first chapter I cant quite figure out what to do. To start I think you can choose 8 out of 20 monsters. I havent gotten very far yet, but if you can only unlock one after finishing the arcade mode, it's gonna take a long time to unlock all.
BTW, anyone get this to work with HD Loader?
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 01:54:07 AM »

Got some more play time in tonight, and need to update my first impressions a bit.

First, you start out with 6 monsters, and when you get 60,000 points you can unlock a monster pack..which consists of 4 monsters.
After beating the Action mode twice, I was able to unlock a pack with a lot of points leftover.

MechaGodzilla 3 was one in the pack that I bought, and his beam attacks look great....even for the PS2.
Very nice.

The AI still seems to 'cheat' a little, just like the first game.
Medium difficulty is a pretty good challenge for me.

Jet Jaguar is another monster in my pack, so he's up next
 biggrin

No one else bought this yet?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 02:55:36 AM »

Gamara?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 05:52:24 AM »

According to CheapAssGamer.com the XBox version is supposed to be only $30 at Best Buy this week!  Despite the flood of games coming down the pipe, I may just have to pick it up.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 08:23:56 PM »

What Engine?  $30?  Its not supposed to be out until Nov 22?!?!?!

I cheated a little bit nad rented the PS2 version yesterday.  I tried to pick up an online PS2 thingy but was no where near one.  Bummer.  So far I played with Godzilla 2000 on easy adn it was kinda a breeze.  It was nice to learn the fighting styles and to pick up buildings and toss em at eachother.  I have yet to catch one in the progress though I am trying.  I would like to get JJ unlocked as well as space godzilla.  I guess I have some work ahead of me.  How you guys doing?  Any online play yet?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 01:58:20 AM »

Yeah, it's advertised for $30 this week in Best Buy's ad.  That was undoubtedly set up before it got delayed a couple weeks.  You can still preorder it for $30 on BestBuy.com which shows it shipping 11/25.

Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 01:02:32 PM »

Yeah at that price I went ahead and ordered a copy as I liked the first one. I was in EB yesterday and they had a copy in their demo PS2 and I must say DAMM on xbox and gc looked much better than STE on PS2 especially the special effects like breath and beam weapons. Hope this isn't how its gonna look on xbox...

-Tony
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 03:13:07 PM »

I thought the beam attack looked pretty good.  I finally got to catch a building and throw it back... pretty fun.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 03:41:58 PM »

I pre-ordered this for the Xbox and am sitting on my hands waiting for it.  I refuse to rent it on the PS2 b/c I don't want to spoil all the fun when i actually get it.  It sounds so far like people are enjoying it here, so I'm happy.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 07:13:29 PM »

I gotta give it back tomorrow.  And then I am going to wait for the XBox version as well.  I think the XBox multiplayer will be used a lot more so I am looking forward to that.  We'll have to organize some games when it gets out...
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 07:14:17 PM »

jimmy,
i'm still playing it and enjoying it.

Last night I beat the Action mode with another monster..MechGodzilla 3...and fought JJ for the first time.
Heh, that was pretty cool.

This is still very similar to the first game, but with enough new stuff to make it worth it IMO
I'll be buying it for the XBox even though I have it for the PS2 already.

About the AI cheating again....on medium it resorts to some pretty obvious and 'piss-me-right-off' tactics.
For example.....powerups appearing RIGHT in front of them, while disappearing on me before I get to them.  :x

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2004, 09:05:53 PM »

I just picked this up for the Xbox yesterday.

I will have more impressions shortly.  In my excitement last night, I just tried out the Action Mode as Godzilla 90's and have to say I had alot of fun.  The sound effects like buildings crumbling, the "swoosh" of Godzilla's tail whipping, and of course the monster "voices" are all incredible.  I especially like the "spray" of dirt and/or water when the monsters get thrown to the ground.  And the first time Megalon threw a building at me I caught it and threw it right back at him made me smile big time.

It hurts to see this game getting pretty average-to-low scores on most sites because I would love to see more games in the Godzilla universe, particularly seeing it branch out beyond a melee-type game.

I applaud the developers.  The look and "feel" of the monsters are spot on and the detail is stunning.  And you know what is funny?  I always wondered why in the Godzilla movies Mothra would always seem to kick Godzilla's (and the other monsters) asses over and over.  After all Mothra is just a - moth right?  Well, I fought Mothra last night (larvae then adult in same battle) and while I won the battle it was downright tough as hell!  I had less than one-quarter health left before I finally won.  Just like the movies!  Excellent!

My only complaint is that I wish they had more music by Akira Ikufabe (sp?) who did the excellent music to most of the Godzilla movies, especially Destroy All Monsters.

I will play it more over the weekend and give more impressions as I go along.  But, from what I see right now it looks like this will be alot of fun.  By the way, I also liked Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee.  I can't wait to recreate the battle of Godzilla & Jet Jaguar vs. Megalon & Gigan!  I also can't wait to try this on Xbox Live.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2004, 10:53:31 PM »

Stardrifter, are you in the US?
I didn't think the XBox version was due out until the 23rd?

I'm looking forward to trying this on the 'Box to see how it compares to the PS2 version.
I agree about the music, and the PS2 game seems to be missing some sounds that DAMM had, so wonder if they're in the 'Box version?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2004, 01:08:28 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
Stardrifter, are you in the US?
I didn't think the XBox version was due out until the 23rd?

I'm looking forward to trying this on the 'Box to see how it compares to the PS2 version.
I agree about the music, and the PS2 game seems to be missing some sounds that DAMM had, so wonder if they're in the 'Box version?

Zekester - Right here in good old USA in the beautiful state of New Jersey!  :shock:

I picked it up at EB in Monmouth Mall in Monmouth County, NJ.

It is available everywhere now (i.e, EB's & Gamestops).  Go and get it!!!

I will be playing it alot more this weekend.  I would have played last night but Halo 2 sort of sucked up most of my evening.

XM Channel 76
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2004, 11:15:47 PM »

Thanks SD.

I did indeed buy it today  smile

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2004, 01:32:54 AM »

Here are the promised impressions:

This game has captured the "feel" of the Godzilla movies.  The monsters looks, movements, sounds, personalities, and attacks are spot on.  If you are not familiar with the movies, and how each monster behaves, then you will lose something of the magic and it will become more of a fighting game with Toho monsters.  Baragon's constant burrowing, Mothra's annoying web attacks, and Gigan's blasted skewering of his claws are all there.

The cities look great especially as chunks of buildings fly off before collapsing into a pile of dust.  It is particularly impressive when a monster is thrown into a series of buildings that collapse together into a huge cloud of dust that totatlly obscures your monster.  I was also pleased to see how you can go waist deep in water and actually feel the movement slow (and you can't jump in the water).  When a monster is dumped into the water the corresponding water spray is just as impressive as the dust from collapsing buildings.

My son and I recreated the battle of Godzilla/Jet Jaguar vs. Megalon/Gigan from the movie "Godzilla vs. Megalon."  Wow, was this fun.  I thought it was way too cool when at one point I (as Godzilla 90's) knocked down Gigan and turned to see my son (as Jet Jaguar) holding up Megalon.  I proceeded to fire Godzilla's atomic breath at Megalon as my son threw Megalon through the air.  Did Megalon ever get pummeled!  That was just so geeky cool.

Also impressive is locking energy beams.  When you and your enemy monster fire their energy beams at the right time they will lock and you have to battle (by pressing button combos) to see who runs out of energy first.  The resulting "explosion" is awesome!  Both monsters go flying in opposite directions.  You can see this in the recent "Godzilla 2000" movie when Godzilla and the Space Rock locked beams.

I'm currently proceeding through the Action Mode and just unlocked one package of monsters.  I got MechaGodzilla for free and I unlocked Jet Jaguar.  I'm working on unlocking Space Godzilla (cost = 30,000 pts).

This game is fun.  About the only thing I wish for in any potential future release is for more of a story type of game and less of a melee fighting game.  I would love to pick a monster and have to fight and survive through various scenarios.   For example, one scenario I could try to escape from an island with an exploding volcano or I have to defend my young from an attack by several monsters or I have to destroy several cities while taking fire from the military.  Or how about I'm kidnapped by aliens and taking to another planet to fight some space monster.  The possibilities are endless.

If you like Godzilla, don't pass this game up.  You won't be disappointed. smile

XM Channel 76
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2004, 08:28:06 PM »

Nice SD... I really liked the beam attack too, one of my favorite parts.   I am also drawn to the Xbox version... quicker load times...yes.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2004, 08:37:16 PM »

Mybe a stupid question, but will the xbox version supprot live? I liked the multiplayer of DAM, but for it to be live would be even better.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2004, 09:33:27 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Mybe a stupid question, but will the xbox version supprot live? I liked the multiplayer of DAM, but for it to be live would be even better.

You betcha!

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2005, 05:01:27 PM »

My son and I just got this on the weekend, and I gotta say, what the hell is up with all of the negative reviews?!?!?!  This game is awesome!  We had a blast playing it all weekend long, and we just unlocked all of the monsters- gonna dig into live over the next few days.

I noticed that all of the sites that have reader ratings consistently ranking in the 80s, while review sites have pretty much panned it.  All of them seem to hate the 'sluggishness' of the fights- do they realize that we are dealing with giant  monsters here?  

As soon as I get through my current load of reviews, expect one of this, hopefully by next week.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2005, 06:02:16 PM »

After spending some more time playing it, it is indeed a fun game.
But it felt more like an expansion to the first one.
Not really a bad thing, mind you  smile

I still wish they would've spent more time on the cheating AI though.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: