http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 03:14:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godus  (Read 1043 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »

Played about an hour, at least it seemed that long. Very tedious. So far it's very much like Populous, flatten land for them to build houses. You have to click the bubble that builds above houses to collect mana (you can get a power to do automatically later supposedly), click on a flag to get a person to come out and build a new house. They die if you don't watch them though, they will gradually move slower and slower until they collapse and die. Click on them to save them.

The controls aren't very smooth so far. Click and drag land or double click to flatten. You can click on a mana bubble and click on the flag next to it too easily. Click to get rid of a boulder and you flatten land on accident at times. Getting land the right size to get a house built seems like guesswork. Found controlling things to be very tedious.

Every so often you get a card that allows you to build other things, expand your land, etc.

It's a beta, which they say is 40% complete. I got bored at clicking things and quit. Not sure I will get back any time soon.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 11:40:53 PM »

I backed the Kickstarter so got my beta key today as well.  Hopefully I'll have time to at least give it a little run this weekend, but if it's as early as it seems I may not put too much time into it until it is more fleshed out.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:09:15 PM »

Thought about playing again, went to Steams forums to see if there were any tips that I may be missing. There are a few positive posts, but overall it's getting torn up. I guess the power that lets you collect belief at one location only has 3 uses before it costs gems. Apparently gems are pretty hard to come by short of IAP, which aren't active yet. It's a beta of course, so hopefully things change.

This is the first game I have donated to a Kickstarter and I feel pretty betrayed. I paid around $40 with promise of being in the beta, which I am, but I could have paid $20 now to do the same. Plus the original Kickstarter was not for a FTP game with IAPs which it turned into.

I have an extra key if anyone wants, PM on here or Steam. (I got 2 keys for my backer level).

Edit: I am Leeabe51 on Steam, in both OO and GT groups.

Edit 2: keys taken.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:12:53 AM by Lee » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »

They've already tweeted that the gems are going away, so you don't have to worry about that bit. Also, Kickstarter backers got access to the beta for $15 (or $10 for students). The $40 tier gives you two copies of the game as well as other extras, so I'm not sure why you feel betrayed.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 14, 2013, 08:22:08 PM

They've already tweeted that the gems are going away, so you don't have to worry about that bit. Also, Kickstarter backers got access to the beta for $15 (or $10 for students). The $40 tier gives you two copies of the game as well as other extras, so I'm not sure why you feel betrayed.

Gems are going away from the Beta, not the final game as I understood it. They are the whole basis for the IAP crap. Am I wrong? And without gems, then you are forced to keep clicking to gather belief.

Ok, it's my fault for paying so much, still would have never contributed to a F2P game (at least not without trying it and thinking it's worth giving the producers some money for it, which is one game so far). Changing that is an important part of the game.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 11:42:34 PM »

Tried it out a bit and had similar feelings.  Lots of busywork and some frustrating controls.  It seems like they have played a few too many mobile games as they just want you to keep clicking on everything practically all the time. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 03:51:25 PM »

Lee kindly gave me his extra copy so I have some impressions; unfortunately, they are mostly in line with everyone else.  I ended up playing for longer than I expected because I can see a good game is in there somewhere, itís just buried under a lot of tedious crap.  

The biggest problem I have is that you have to manually harvest faith; itís tedious and just wastes time.  I did discover you can speed this process up if you zoom out entirely.  From the max zoom level you donít have to be very accurate with your clicking.  

The land management is awkward but if they made it cheaper and/or allowed you to test a move before committing I think it would work pretty well.

Iím not sure what they were thinking with the resource/card hunting aspect.  The game would be much more fulfilling if you could just assign villagers to gather the required resource.  If they want to keep the discovery aspect for bonus resources, that is fine, but donít make it required, especially when it waste so much faith to uncover most of them.

All this combined makes for a very stagnant and drawn out early game.  After an hour and a half I was starting to get into more interesting elements but at that point I was tired of clicking.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »

I stuck with it a bit longer.  I will say that the game does get more interesting the further in you get but man do they ever stagnate progress.  Once you have a few city centers producing consolidated faith you never really have to worry about running out again.  The best way to get to the point (or maybe the only way) is to do the pvp arena things that arenít much fun.

At 1000 followers I also got the Cliff Sculpting ability which lets you move multiple layers at once.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 07:36:19 PM »

The more I read about this, the more it seems engineered to make people purchase shortcuts in the game with the Diamonds or whatever they want to name them. Too much clicking to get faith? Get the MEGACLICKER, only 5000 diamonds (3 uses only).

A new one
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »

On the whole I agree with that but I did find a patch of gems in my world.  It looks like I can eventually have people mine there but I havenít cleared away the mountain to get there quite yet.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »

I would be careful about drawing too big conclusions about the final product based on this pre-alpha version (it's called a beta, but that's not what it is). Molyneux is tossing ideas at us to see what we like and what we don't like, so whatever is in the game right now might not be there (or could be very different) by the time the final game launches. On the other hand, it's important to let them know what you don't like so that they are aware of the issues people have with the current iteration of the game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 09:02:28 PM »

sounds like this will be worth waiting for a sale or the actual release; I almost jumped on it when it first hit early access, but it sounds like a good thing that I waited.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »

I saw this on the Steam forums this morning and it made me smile.

Quote from: Mooner on September 15, 2013, 09:02:28 PM

Poetry - I am no god!
I am no god!

I am a mouse clicker, enslaved by the cult of Followers to do their bidding.
For clicking, I am rewarded with bubbles to click which enables me to click even more.

I am no god!

By clicking, I clear the land. When the land is clear, the Followers can move in.
By clicking, I awaken the Followers. When the Followers are awake, they can expand on the new land.

I am no god!

By clicking, I search for treasures. When the treasures are found the Followers can advance.
By each click, I make the cult of Followers stronger. The stronger they become, the more clicking they require.

I am a slave to the Followers. It is my duty to click. I click, therefore I am.

I am no god!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »

RPS posted impressions, which are pretty much the same as everyone else's. They make it clear it's a beta and not finished obviously. I am not sure this whole early access/paid beta thing is a good idea, the game needs work and is getting trashed for it. Not really fair to 22 Cans, but they opened themselves up for this.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 10:26:16 PM »

Itís better for them to hear the criticism now and have a chance of fixing the problems instead of getting closer to release and having a fully broken game.

As it stands, I think most of their problems can be ironed out before release as long as they are willing to change a couple of their fundamental game-play elements.  Even though the game is not "good" in its current state it still has a number of cool ideas that makes me want to go back to it.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 12:52:01 AM »

True Lordnine, the criticism should only help. The negative press will deter some people though who will write it off as more Molyneux hype that fell short.

I am sure they will fix it, but I don't think it will ever be what was I kind of hoping it would be, Populous III. Of course I probably remember Populous being better than it actually was.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »

You fools, you believed the Molineux.

What's funny is that the predecessor to this that he made is a similar game without the F2P BS. Considering that Molineux's last game was something where you paid money to click on tiles, for no purpose other than to click on tiles, the only thing PM is doing these days is testing how far he can push the F2P microtransaction stupidity, and not anything interesting in gameplay.

I say you can draw a lot of conclusions about where this game is heading from what he's chosen to show us. An Alpha still means that the game mostly functions as intended, but some systems might not be in. F2P mechanics like this pollute the game at its core, and also have to be a core part of the game. Only a very small few games using mechanics of this type rise above that.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 10:06:53 AM »

Sofar it's alright.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 11:58:41 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 17, 2013, 01:20:18 AM

You fools, you believed the Molineux.

What's funny is that the predecessor to this that he made is a similar game without the F2P BS. Considering that Molineux's last game was something where you paid money to click on tiles, for no purpose other than to click on tiles, the only thing PM is doing these days is testing how far he can push the F2P microtransaction stupidity, and not anything interesting in gameplay.

Uncle Pete is a tricky one.

Because I can,
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 04:55:02 AM »

Just played for an hour for the first time since release. It's getting better and is becoming more of a game. I was generally intrigued in where my game was going, until I found some monument where someone invited me to a multiplayer game. She kept typing messages, but I couldn't figure out how to reply. Although I didn't have to do the tournament thing, it was a bit of a put-off. I want to explore the land and figure out the game, I have no interest in multiplayer. I would rather never see multiplayer in my single player game, but that is probably just me.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 06:22:26 AM »

Those are scripted events at that point in the game.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 06:53:51 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 23, 2013, 06:22:26 AM

Lol, really? That really makes me not want to play it. Plus, I feel stupid now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »

Dang, GMG $10 sale is over.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »

Quote from: Lee on December 23, 2013, 06:53:51 AM

Quote from: Purge on December 23, 2013, 06:22:26 AM

Lol, really? That really makes me not want to play it. Plus, I feel stupid now.

I figured that out after the third one. Tongue

I think it's part of the tutorial section - I've expanded out a fair bit now.

Once I found out it's a bot, I used my finger of god to crush her houses and people.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
:)
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »

on the plus side... it could pop up on the STEAM SALE!

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »

I find it's a worthy distraction.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 04:42:52 PM »

yep!  heard that too.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 04:49:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 23, 2013, 04:42:15 PM

I think it was a community vote on the first day, so it's a possibility that they'll throw it up on the daily later. 

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 05:17:48 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 23, 2013, 04:42:38 PM

I find it's a worthy distraction.

Agreed, I was enjoying it last night and I am starting to think that it could be quite fun when finished. No longer the clickfest it was when first alpha was released.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
:)
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 23, 2013, 04:49:22 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 23, 2013, 04:42:15 PM

I think it was a community vote on the first day, so it's a possibility that they'll throw it up on the daily later. 

yeah, I'm kind of expecting them to do that, or at the very least make it a flash sale.

Because I can,
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 02:12:56 AM »

Anyone else give it a try lately? Just did, it has changed a lot. No more constant clicking. Starting to see some more direction, but still kind of lost as to what is going on even with the tutorial. Still, very glad to see some progress on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: